Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
gobelins
21 Nov 17 21:10
| Topic/replies: 392 | Blogger: gobelins's blog
Sunday 29th October to Sunday 5th November - International Championship, Daqing, China.
Monday 6th November to Sunday 12th November - Champion of Champions, Coventry.
Monday 13th November to Saturday 18th November - Shanghai Masters, Shanghai, China.
Monday 20th November to Sunday 26th November - N.Ireland Open, Belfast.
Tuesday 28th November to Sunday 10th December - UK, York.
Monday 11th December to Sunday 17th December - Scottish Open, Glasgow.

All these tournaments seem to mingle into one these days. There's just two days without snooker in just under 7 weeks. And, yet despite seemingly non-stop snooker they still have to keep the championship league going for the bookies in January. God forbid the players get a bit of a break and some proper preparation time before The Masters.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Remember when a snooker tournament...
Show More
Report wondersobright November 21, 2017 10:04 PM GMT
crazy schedule

the whole game is tired, not just the players

hearn has never heard of less is more
Report wondersobright November 21, 2017 10:06 PM GMT
short frame matches, massive bags, tournaments proliferated by mugs, most games being played in sports hall or to thin crowds in half empty arenas, late midweek finishes for games that ultimately count for f all, never mind there'll be another game next monday mentality, must get some sleep before the flight to china (again)
Report Latalomne November 21, 2017 10:48 PM GMT
That is the most ridiculous part of the schedule for me.  China twice in three weeks with a UK tournament in the middle is bonkers.  By all means have an Asian 'swing', but if you are going to insist on the players playing this much, then at least do it right.  It's the travel that screws you up.
Report The Bhoys November 22, 2017 7:31 PM GMT
No wonder people think the standard ha dipped, they fu cking knackered and that hard to keep urself motivated to
Report gobelins November 23, 2017 7:48 PM GMT
Hearn said he wanted each tournament to be different and have its own identity!! Half the events are best of 7 knock abouts sponsored by a bookie.

This is what this ridiculous schedule does to a ranking tournament the week before the UK. With a few exceptions it looks like a Q school draw:

Yan Bingtao v Ryan Day
Ricky Walden v Robert Milkins

Tian Pengfei v Chris Wakelin
Liam Highfield v Lyu Haotian

Gary Wilson v Li Yuan
Sam Craigie v Elliot Slessor

Mike Dunn v Joe Perry
Mark Williams v David Gilbert
Report wondersobright November 23, 2017 7:53 PM GMT
the 9 ball bags as well gobelins...all makes a best of 7 between A&B close to a coin flip even when you'd say A is a bit better than B
Report wondersobright November 23, 2017 7:53 PM GMT
mugs dining at the top table has zero appeal to me
Report gobelins November 23, 2017 8:06 PM GMT
Wonder - I love snooker, just like you and everyone on here, but if you say the schedule is ridiculous - Hearn just says 'well do you want to go back to 6 per season'? No, we don't but we want the players to have some rest, and for time for some build up to the 3 majors. You used to study the draw a week or so before the UK, Masters or World, look at the form and try to work out the permutations. There was a real anticipation of what was about to come, but now they finish one tournament and go straight to the next. Losing a match these days must mean very little, to most players, as you have another one in a few days. I just can't keep up with it all - it's madness.

As for the pockets, they tell us they're as tight as they've always been. My eyes might not be what they used to be, but it's actually a surprise now when a ball rattles in the jaws and stays out.
Report wondersobright November 23, 2017 8:38 PM GMT
I'd like to see proper downtime after the world championship & at least a 1 week gap between tournaments

they could start the ssn in september with the shootout (needs improving though) or champion of champions
then run the home series events back to back up to the UK & masters
then there could be a series of european/world tournaments (at least 2 in china) leading into the world championship

possible schedule...
shootout/champion of champions
4 home nations
UK
masters
overseas tour
world championship

something like 12 tournaments a year, properly structured

forget this 128 format, find a way to incorporate 2 tours if you must have the mugs involved
tight bags, more tournaments with longer frames
UK, masters & the worlds should be sacrosanct PRE-HEARN FORMAT for the triple crown
Report wondersobright November 23, 2017 8:40 PM GMT
lets get back to having great tournaments and not micky mouse events

playing afternoon & prime time evening
1 & 2 table format
top players putting bums on seats

jeez its not difficult
Report wondersobright November 23, 2017 8:46 PM GMT
2 tours of 64 players
promotion & relegation every year
bottom 16 of A tour drop to B tour following ssn
top 16 of B tour rise to A tour following ssn
win matches in B tour & you get a chance to play better players and play for bigger prize money
lose matches in A tour you get your chance against lesser players to re-establish yourself
lose matches in B tour you are gone
Report wondersobright November 23, 2017 8:47 PM GMT
proposed schedule is A tour obviously (some of which are invitation)
Report thegiggilo November 24, 2017 12:46 AM GMT
Think it would be very interesting if they tightened p the bags,selby would be world champ and number one for the next 5 years,of course that will never happen it's all geared topwards keeping o'sullivan/higgins around as long as possible they would've been finished years ago if the bags weren't like they are.And it wouldn't just be them,can you imagine how badly trump muist be playing best potter I've ever seen but still not winning on tables that favour him massively,actually this tournament has looked the worst so far the matches this afteronn was watching balls go in full length of table up the rail an inch away from the cushion and still dropping,club tables..
Report Blackrock November 24, 2017 11:32 AM GMT
Was talking to a couple of the top refs on Monday in Belfast. I said i thought Hearn was ruining the game with 128 turning up at venues and best of 7 matches.

They said it allows many more of the lower ranked players to be able to make a living from snooker, and since Hearn had taken over the prize money has risen dramatically.

Seems its all about the money honey.Sad
Report wondersobright November 24, 2017 1:37 PM GMT
if you look at the prize money they are winning and consider the expenses on travel, hotels etc I'd say hardly any of them further down the food chain are making what most would class as a living
Report Latalomne November 24, 2017 2:17 PM GMT
They're going to regret not having a morning session here.....
Report Latalomne November 24, 2017 5:25 PM GMT
5hrs 24 mins for 9 frames.....
Report wondersobright November 24, 2017 5:31 PM GMT
shocking standard

barry's vision
Report wondersobright November 24, 2017 5:41 PM GMT
mark williams 11/8 to win at QF stage just goes to show how diabolical the standard is
Report Latalomne November 25, 2017 9:11 AM GMT
Liked the Bingtao performance again last night, despite the fact the Milkman kept fluking balls.
Report frames November 25, 2017 10:25 AM GMT
This thread is spot on .You only have to look at Mike Dunn to realise that ,nearly fell off my chair when they said he had just celebrated his 46th birthday, jeez he's had a tough time.
The tables/cloth etc are spoiling the game for me, too easy.
Report appformat November 25, 2017 12:03 PM GMT
nice 20/1 double today for the 2 underdogs to get though to tomorrows final..
if Yan does make it through though, i'll be backing him against whoever.
Report Latalomne November 25, 2017 8:25 PM GMT
He's having a shocker here.
Report wondersobright November 25, 2017 9:00 PM GMT
if this is the future of snooker in 5-10 years I will be finding something else to do
Report Latalomne November 25, 2017 9:16 PM GMT
What is it that keeps falling down from the ceiling?
Report wondersobright November 25, 2017 9:42 PM GMT
foam isn't it??? even the set is a crock of sh1t Laugh

makes you apprentice the great venues we've got, like the crucible, and yearn for the days of the wembley conference centre
Report Latalomne November 25, 2017 10:03 PM GMT
Indeed! 

Bingtao has grown into this after a couple of shaky frames.  His long potting to the corners is lovely.
Report wondersobright November 25, 2017 10:21 PM GMT
going to bet him against williams if 6/4+ or if +2.5 ok
there isn't much between them both imo & there are no underdogs on these tables when its a traditional 4/6 plays 6/4 game
Report Latalomne November 26, 2017 8:10 AM GMT
I've not seen Williams this week, but in his stride, Bingtao's playing as well as anybody.

I'm committed to family stuff until this evening, so I shall hope the afternoon produces a 5-4 either way.

Good luck!
Report Blackrock November 26, 2017 11:14 AM GMT
Think Williams will have too much experience for the kid. Williams has been scoring heavy enough when he gets in, but the kid is a great talent.

Williams is a good price at small odds on.
Report wondersobright November 26, 2017 12:15 PM GMT
yan was put in way shorter than what I thought he would be

prices about right imo, coin flip on these bags NO BET
Report wondersobright November 26, 2017 12:15 PM GMT
I've got stuff on this arvo & evening also so won't get to see the final
Report thepunter November 26, 2017 8:09 PM GMT
Finally finally mark waked up. Go you legend ! Needed to go 3 frames down to start playing.
Report Latalomne November 26, 2017 8:25 PM GMT
Should be a really informative final session now
Report thepunter November 26, 2017 8:35 PM GMT
Should... but choking a few occasions again to build some proper break.
Report thepunter November 26, 2017 9:13 PM GMT
choke festival
Report Latalomne November 26, 2017 9:52 PM GMT
How did that black drop there?!?
Report thepunter November 26, 2017 9:58 PM GMT
bucket p...
Report thegiggilo November 26, 2017 10:29 PM GMT
Mark's been playing garbage for 10 years and still wins a ranking tournament bet he can't believe it,playing about 10% of his best..
Report BornToWin November 27, 2017 11:24 AM GMT
As I've said before the game is too tough mentally to have so many tournaments.

Each match takes hours, and they have 2 in a day on many occasions now ffs. The only possible outcome is a decline in standards, offset somewhat by easy playing conditions.

At most there should be an event week on/week off type schedule.
Report wondersobright November 28, 2017 2:04 PM GMT
week on/week off through the ssn seems eminently sensible BTW

if a few tournaments have to be canned then so be it

I really cant see why they can't sort the schedule out so its sept to april and looks something like this...

sep - champion of champions
oct/nov - home nations
dec - UK
jan - masters
feb/mar - overseas tour
apr - world champs

could use the shootout as a pre-xmas p1ss up event but must be higher prize money to get all the top players in the event (bounty hunter structure could work well in this)

that would be 13 events over 8 months
Report wondersobright November 28, 2017 2:10 PM GMT
shootout
last weekend before xmas
allocate a sliding scale bounty for all 128 players (or play a round with no prize money and then allocate bounties to 64 players)
sponsor could choose the bounties for each player
incentivise people like ronnie with 64k on his back, rest of the bounties would be 63k, 62k, 61k, etc all the way down to 1k
they could structure it so you win your own bounty if you win the event and the bounties of everybody you have beaten if you make it to say the QF or SF

mr hearn Wink
Report Latalomne November 28, 2017 6:15 PM GMT
Wow!  Ding loses 6-5 to Leo Fernandez having led 5-1, was it?!?
Report thepunter November 28, 2017 6:18 PM GMT
Yep, he must be in deep trouble with chinese mafia to sacrify the UK... Some unbelievable misses, always just enough to keep fernandez in. Ding definitively desserves a ban.
Report Latalomne November 28, 2017 6:19 PM GMT
I only turned on as it was going 5-5....  He's always seemingly had it on a switch, but he's been largely dreadful for a while now.
Report thepunter November 28, 2017 6:27 PM GMT
Losing to nobodys, why not, but leo is an absolute nobody. Has won  more frames this match, than the whole season. Further there is an old story where he was already involved in match fixing :

http://www.worldsnooker.com/wpbsa-statement-leo-fernandez-2/

Perfect set up this one.
Report Latalomne November 28, 2017 6:38 PM GMT
Who in their right mind would set up a betting sting on an obscure market like that in a qualifier (albeit for the Worlds)?!?  Bonkers!
Report thepunter November 28, 2017 6:45 PM GMT
Maybe they thought it would not be monitored. But its the reverse way, they dont even need to monitor a alot, because the unusual amount of money in those"side" markets will reveal in a fraction of a second, everything the investigators need to know.
Report Blackrock November 29, 2017 11:00 AM GMT
Saw Fernandez play Matt Stevens last week. He got beat 4-0 and was lucky to get nil.

He's certainly trained on in a week.
Report thepunter November 29, 2017 11:21 AM GMT
Brecel another fat fixing piece of crap. gets to the intermission with a 3-1 lead, literrally flying...comes back...cant make more than 10 points break, missing every safety, cant even break properly...3-1 => 3-4 now.
Report gobelins November 29, 2017 8:31 PM GMT
Even the UK championship - the once mighty UK championship - one of the most anticipated snooker tournaments every year has become just another tournament squeezed in between 2 other tournaments. How on earth does a "Triple Crown" event have matches that start at 9.30am? OK, I accept that matches start at 10am at The Crucible but they have to with only 2 tables. The only alternative would be to reduce the number of frames played. But, they've already scandalously reduced the UK matches from best of 17 to best of 11 and they still have matches at 9.30am, so they can have 128 players at the venue. But, this is the Hearn way: quantity over quality, and as BornToWin so perceptively states - the poorer standard is camouflaged by easier playing conditions.
Report Latalomne November 29, 2017 8:38 PM GMT
Have to say, the last two days' matches have been the least inspiring I can ever remember, save for the shootout.  This is doing nobody any good....
Report wondersobright November 29, 2017 9:04 PM GMT
its the hearn way or the highway
Report wondersobright November 29, 2017 9:05 PM GMT
funny how people in other sports say "look at how hearn has transformed snooker & darts"

well he might have transformed darts but he has taken 1 step forward and 3 steps back with snooker imo
Report BornToWin November 29, 2017 11:36 PM GMT
Most lemmings lap up Hearn's product, I guess they don't really care how easy the tables are. I am guessing most spectators have not held a cue as they watch on in amazement.

When there is incessant muggery this is deemed to be 'drama'.

I can't wait for the poor man's Frank Carson to crack some 'funnies' as a player is about to address their shot.
Report Latalomne November 30, 2017 12:50 PM GMT
Two more entirely pointless matches this morning.
Report thegiggilo November 30, 2017 1:59 PM GMT
Better off watching last years final the last 8 frames I watched it last night was unreal,nothing will come close to that match this season that's for sure..
Report Latalomne November 30, 2017 4:50 PM GMT
If you were looking for another possible player who is 'not off', Ali Carter is missing an awful lot of what should be very makeable balls.
Report Latalomne November 30, 2017 5:02 PM GMT
Wow
Report Latalomne November 30, 2017 5:06 PM GMT
LaughLaughLaugh
Report thepunter November 30, 2017 5:11 PM GMT
What a fecking idiot carter has become. Absolute chokefest this one.Never seen something similar.
Report thepunter November 30, 2017 5:12 PM GMT
Chance after chance, and jimmy is so bad, keeping himi alive for another chance again and again.
Report thepunter November 30, 2017 5:12 PM GMT
Chance after chance, and jimmy is so bad, keeping himi alive for another chance again and again.
Report Latalomne November 30, 2017 5:14 PM GMT
Those two missed reds of Carter's stank to high heaven.
Report thepunter November 30, 2017 5:16 PM GMT
In frames 3, 4 and 5 combined, carter had around 20 easy shpts to kill the frame and 20 more to keep it alive. Every time jimmy needed the black and every time he got it.,,,
Report thepunter November 30, 2017 5:16 PM GMT
It stinks, agree.
Report Latalomne November 30, 2017 5:39 PM GMT
Well, whether it started off with him intending to lose or not, he was definitely quite happy to by the end.
Report BornToWin November 30, 2017 6:16 PM GMT
Certainly plenty of opportunities for 'off days' and such like these days.
Report gobelins November 30, 2017 8:53 PM GMT
We'll have to get used to players having more 'off days'. Snooker is not a sport which lends itself to being played day-in, day-out, week-in, week-out, without it taking it's toll mentally. It's why it has always been said that winning The World Championship takes such a huge mental effort - as the tournament lasts 17 days, and to win it you have to play every single day for at least the last 7 days. So often, at Sheffield, the players talk of how important it is to rest between sessions and matches - and yet now there is a schedule which allows the players so little recovery time between tournaments.
Report Latalomne November 30, 2017 9:04 PM GMT
The BF market LOVES Jackson Page against Ronnie.  Constantly 5 or 6 ticks bigger to be had on £3.65, if you can get on (I can't), than people are looking to back at here.
Report davyb December 1, 2017 12:48 AM GMT
I quickly bailed out of that carter match today, his attitude from very early  had me reaching for the lay button.
Report thepunter December 2, 2017 9:47 PM GMT
What an idiot Fu is today. Started every frame with stupid mistakes and almost a 50 handicap, still 4-2 up somehow.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now