Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
The Bhoys
05 Nov 17 13:23
| Topic/replies: 9,302 | Blogger: The Bhoys's blog
Who would win? Selbys all round game is top notch
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Selby v Hendry Best of 35?
Show More
Report appformat November 6, 2017 11:12 AM GMT
Selby has a rock solid mental stamina ideal for todays busy match schedules, which wouldn't have been so effective in the 90's when players were fresher and Hendy was in his prime.
when Selby/Allen were shaking hands before the International Final yesterday, both players looked absolutely knackered before they even started.
Report davyb November 6, 2017 12:31 PM GMT
my money would of been on Hendry all day long, a lot of todays players just don't seem to have the bottle to take Selby out
Report thegiggilo November 7, 2017 1:19 AM GMT
Of course Selby could've beaten him,one of the best pressure/match players of all time I also think he is probably the only player that could've come from behind and beaten him as well over a long match.But when you're talking about Hendry at his very best even though he really didn't have a safety game he never needed one,if mark played him 7 times over 35 frames at his best and Hendry at his best i'd have expected mark to win at least two.That may not sound that good but I don't think any other players in the history of the game could've done any better either,trouble is unless you saw Hendry at his best you don't realize how relentless he was.After his cue went kaput he still got great results,but to me was never the same player without it..
Report The Bhoys November 7, 2017 6:55 PM GMT
Its a fair point about players being tired now adays, the schedule is ridiculas
Report wondersobright November 7, 2017 7:02 PM GMT
in my mind I would price a best of 35 around 1/2-2/5 hendry and 2/1-5/2 selby
I am big selby fan & saw plenty of hendry in my youth
Report thegiggilo November 7, 2017 7:35 PM GMT
Am not convinced by the too tired chestnut,these players should be practising 8 hours a day anyway minimum,especially for the younger players they have no excuses..
Report wondersobright November 7, 2017 7:44 PM GMT
its the travelling backwards and forwards from abroad all the time that is tiring
Report The Bhoys November 7, 2017 7:44 PM GMT
8 hours a day at your local hall and a tournament in germany 1 week china next isnt quite the same thing
Report wondersobright November 7, 2017 7:45 PM GMT
that's it bhoys
Report thegiggilo November 7, 2017 10:00 PM GMT
All about dedication and appetite,if Selby can be number 1 for 3 years in mid 30s and looking like 4 years at least plus being world champion 3 times it's all in the head,don't know if mark plays pool anymore but wouldn't surprise me if between tournaments he still practises and plays pool with his mates in inter county etc..
Report frames November 8, 2017 8:57 AM GMT
I cannot imagine how many tons Hendry would rack up in today's conditions.Both at there best I'd make Hendry a 1/8 poke.
Report jed.davison November 8, 2017 12:55 PM GMT
We can never know, but I have always been of the opinion that Hendry would beat anyone, of any era, over such a distance.

I do feel though that in the last couple of years especially Selby has tightened up his game to such a degree that he has no weaknesses. I can't pay him any higher compliment than that I feel even a peak-form Hendry would struggle against him because his safety and game management are of a very high order.
Report wondersobright November 8, 2017 1:19 PM GMT
true jed we will never know

I never think of it as "A would have beaten B", its more "A would have beaten B x times out of 100 meetings"

selby has the ability to knock even the v best out of their fluency

I have no doubt hendry would have been pushing something like at least 65-70 wins per 100 games against selby

to suggest hendry would have won 85-90 against selby is pushing it imo but opinions are opinions
Report wondersobright November 8, 2017 1:23 PM GMT
also I think selby is the type of player who would do hendry's head in (a bit like selby with ronnie) especially over a long match

quite a few players tried to frustrate hendry in their matches but few if any had the calibre of all round game that selby possesses

an intriguing virtual match up Happy
Report Blackrock November 9, 2017 5:11 PM GMT
No doubt in my mind Hendry is the best of all time.

Selby is an excellent player with a tremendous all round game. His attitude is second to nobody. Have Hendry winning it but not by too much.
Report pauliow November 9, 2017 6:57 PM GMT
I remember the 1992 final when Hendry won 10 frames in a row against White. Everybody said White threw it away but Hendry was unbelievable. At his prime he was virtually unbeatable, was fearless and missed nothing.
Report thegiggilo November 9, 2017 7:24 PM GMT
Jimmy did throw it away,missed a casual yellow I think to virtually kilol the match off was 6-7 frames clear Hendry had given up after that frame he still had plenty of chances as well,no one else would've won from that position but white could've won that match easily..
Report The Bhoys November 10, 2017 7:02 PM GMT
u say hendry was best of all time and attacked and missed nothing, but selbys tactical play wudnt allow easy openings, be a tighter game than mot think and selby when it matters has big balls
Report FatherMaguire November 13, 2017 8:46 PM GMT
Selby is excellent, but his normal game is a grinding one - he can take racks out, but Hendrys natural game was to take out rack after rack after rack - over a long format, Hendry would put streaks of frames together in next to no time which would be the difference for me
Report moondan November 26, 2017 11:16 AM GMT
2 of my fav players but conditions are different now and balls are dropping where they once would be rejected.

Hendry is not sitting there with seven world titles because it was easier in his day no matter what the 2 banana boats in Davis and his Parrot preach.

Davis admitted he hated Hendry for outclassing him and thats the main reason he finds it difficult to credit the man with anything.

Plenty of eighties players and earlier would have survived in todays game.

THe reason why I like Selby is because he is more eighties and plays a proper tough game.  In Hendry's Class?????? no.
Report wondersobright November 26, 2017 12:19 PM GMT
hendry was a cut above of course

but if a peak hendry played a peak selby over 100 frames, how many frames would you expect hendry to win?

my guess is around 65-70
Report Platini December 11, 2017 11:37 PM GMT
Hendry all day long.

If they played on today's tables, Selby might keep the score respectable
but if they played it on the older tables (with pockets, not buckets), Selby wouldn't get a sniff.
Report peckerdunne December 19, 2017 9:09 PM GMT
I am a big fan of Sellers but don't think Mark could keep Hendry at bay over that distance, not at his best, the fella would make too many long pots that would result in frame winning breaks..
Report thegiggilo December 20, 2017 2:39 AM GMT
It's a bit simplistic way of looking at things,jimmy should've won two world titles again st him and he played very open Selby is by far the best match player i've ever seen bar Hendry if you watch the last 7 frames of the uk last season that's as good a snooker as I've ever season with such few mistakes.Selby has the game to have beaten him without question in a world final,like I said before I think if they played 7 times Selby would win 2 they would be tough matches for Hendry and the others would also be close.It's paying Hendry a big complimemt as i'm sure Hendry thinks selbys one of the best bottle players the games ever seen,himself and Selby probably the best two esopecially when up against it..
Report thegiggilo December 20, 2017 2:39 AM GMT
It's a bit simplistic way of looking at things,jimmy should've won two world titles again st him and he played very open Selby is by far the best match player i've ever seen bar Hendry if you watch the last 7 frames of the uk last season that's as good a snooker as I've ever season with such few mistakes.Selby has the game to have beaten him without question in a world final,like I said before I think if they played 7 times Selby would win 2 they would be tough matches for Hendry and the others would also be close.It's paying Hendry a big complimemt as i'm sure Hendry thinks selbys one of the best bottle players the games ever seen,himself and Selby probably the best two esopecially when up against it..
Report flag of goats December 21, 2017 10:25 AM GMT
Interesting that quite a few would think Hendry wins.
Clearly the conditions of this match up have to be very specific for a Hendry win.
It’s just that Selby beat Hendry 13-5 in the 2010 world championships and 13-4 in the 2011 world championships.
This was before Selby ever reached the heights he has now and 3 and 4 years before Selby ever became world champion.
Also Hendry was at that point younger than O’Sullivan is now so only past his best because his career was brilliant but for only a relatively short period of time.
In fact Hendry never won a world title past the age of 30.
On that basis this match would need to be ina different era where Hendry beat some ageing players comfortably again and again.
Also when Selby first played Hendry he also beat him 5-1 way back in 2002nwhen Selby was aged 20 and Hendry 32.
Report gobelins December 21, 2017 6:27 PM GMT
Flag - the match up must be when they are both close to their peak, so the match is the Hendry of 1991/92, or even 1999 (when he won his last World title) v the Selby of now. Take your pick - the result is the same.
Report wondersobright December 21, 2017 7:54 PM GMT
peak selby v peak hendry
on pre-hearn era tables

would be v interested to see a straw poll of forumites...from 100 frames played between the 2, iyo what is the most likely frame score?
Report flag of goats December 21, 2017 10:55 PM GMT
Pre Hearn era tables?

What you mean those BCE buckets of the early 90’s?
Report flag of goats December 21, 2017 10:56 PM GMT
Pre Hearn era tables?

What you mean those BCE buckets of the early 90’s?
Report BornToWin December 22, 2017 12:49 AM GMT
Why are we comparing the 7 times winner v the 3 times winner?

Selby will be finished before long mark my words, the mechanical cue actions do not stand the test of time.
Report thegiggilo December 22, 2017 12:56 AM GMT
Mark Williams at his best was as good as Hendry but it only lasted 3/4 seasons think Hendry would probably admit it,was a real shame Williams game deteriorated so much like Selby under pressure unbelievable,so even if you put the question would Hendry beat Mark Williams at their best over 35 frames it's not a simplistic answer.My answer would be no,williams could beat Hendry quite easily over best of 35 frames,but could he keep up the relentlessness of Hendry over 7 matches and that's why Hendry was the best because he did it over and over again.Mark Selby similarly,so many more facets to his game than anyone that's ever picked up a cue,
again he would've stopped Hendry playing over a certain period of matches and would've won some but over lots of matches they all would struggle to match his fire power.Put it this way if you had to have a player at their best to save your life who would it be
Hendry
Selby
Williams
Higgins
I certainly wouldn't want to be relying on o'sullivan that's for sure..think i'd rather have davis ahead of o'sullivan as well..Wink
Report Blackrock December 22, 2017 11:49 AM GMT
Don't know how you can say Williams was as good as Hendry. Not a prayer imo. Over 7 long distance matches i would expect Hendry to win 6 of them.

As we all know, if Ronnie's head was right he would have undoubtedly been the GOAT by some distance, but he had too many days when he couldn't give a shyte.

I am a great fan of Selbys but wonder if all his dogfights will take its toll on him.
Report gobelins December 22, 2017 6:00 PM GMT
You can't compare Williams to Hendry, although at his peak he held all 4 BBC titles (the Triple Crown plus the Grand Prix) and during that spell he could have undoubtedly competed against any of the greats. I think Selby would have to win more titles to even discuss the match-up. Only O'Sullivan has earned the right to be compared against Hendry. I'd favour Hendry personally as he was better under pressure, but the more O'Sullivan wins the closer it gets.
Report The Bhoys December 22, 2017 6:42 PM GMT
Hendry was better under pressure but you would fave ronnie the closer it gets Excited, explain that please
Report gobelins December 22, 2017 9:06 PM GMT
What I meant to say was, the more tournaments O'Sullivan wins the less clear cut is Hendry's superiority - as the number of titles won, particularly 'triple crown' events must be one of the biggest considerations in determining who was better.

In a hypothetical one off match I'd favour Hendry mainly due to his ability to produce under pressure.
Report The Bhoys December 22, 2017 10:18 PM GMT
Osulivan will have played alot longer than hendry tho so he bound to get closer
Report gobelins December 23, 2017 7:24 PM GMT
That's very true, and with there being more tournaments played every season now, it means O'Sullivan has more chances to close in on Hendry's record of 36 ranking title wins. That said, he still has to play to a high standard to keep winning them. Whether he's still good enough, over the full 17 days, to win another World Championship...time will tell.
Report BornToWin December 26, 2017 9:31 AM GMT
We saw a glimpse of what Hendo would have done on these bucket bags, his last max at the Crucible when he was basically gone saw at least one black scurry in that should have been rejected.

He would beast Selby 70-30.

Selby will be done soon anyway, quite possibly out like a light.
Report thegiggilo December 29, 2017 9:27 PM GMT
Selby is the only one that could've given him a game maybe mark williamd as well as he loved playing Hendry,the only way to get near him was to have the ultimate bottle and Selby and williamd are two of the best players ever under huge pressure and from behind...
Selby is the only one that could've given him a game maybe mark williamd as well as he loved playing Hendry,the only way to get near him was to have the ultimate bottle and Selby and williamd are two of the best players ever under huge pressure and from behind...
Report thegiggilo January 14, 2018 5:20 PM GMT
As I said mark Williams,a glimpse of what he was tioday..Wink
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now