Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
thegiggilo
04 May 17 00:06
| Topic/replies: 9,382 | Blogger: thegiggilo's blog
No 147s...trouble is most breaks are pretty unmemorable as usually only 2/3 shots that stand out so will take some finding,sure there must be a few Hendry and Williams ones floating around and jimmys to add..Alex had around 6/7 huge pressure pots 2 outrageous,selby had around 8/9 in his total clearance.

Kick off with alex's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAO48WSZnRU

Then selbys 143
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY8-Eq3s01E
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Bestest breaks ever!!
Show More
Report thegiggilo May 4, 2017 12:41 AM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7U3_9V0R2Y

Osullivan,will have to look through some older ones to find jimmy etc..
Report thegiggilo May 4, 2017 12:52 AM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOsILguAgr8

Jimmy just showing that he should've been world champion numerous times,how did it not happen crazy..
Report Journeyman May 4, 2017 1:41 AM BST
There's an argument to be made that Hendry's 57 break in the 1990 UK final was the break that altered the hierarchy at the top of the game forever.

Davis a frame from victory and 49-0 up, on the point of being able to back up his own assertion that he still had the edge over Hendry in the longer matches in the really big events.

Hendry's clearance to pink in the circumstances is imperious. The ball that actually ends Steve Davis' reign and shtters his confidence for the next decade is Hendry's final blue along the cushion.
Notice after he pots it, Hendry calmly STRUTS towards Davis, then takes his time and pots the pink to set up the decider (that he then wins without Davis potting a ball).

This was the real moment of the changing of the guard between the two most dominant players in the TV era (who of course never met in a World Championship final).
Certainly one of the most important breaks of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbHiPqR6QxE
Report trebor May 4, 2017 9:36 AM BST
How nice to see some of these breaks from before Hearn took over snooker and ruined the tables. But if that's the case how the heck did that blue of Hendry's drop, it hit the cushion a good foot before the pocket, the black after he had the cue ball clean would have Hendry in the commentary box now saying that should not drop, and the same with Higgins first shot of his famous break.
Report BornToWin May 4, 2017 6:32 PM BST
Has there been a better sight in snooker than a young Jimmy? Davis chalking his cue when he was on 20 odd. For the next frame Laugh
Report BornToWin May 4, 2017 6:41 PM BST
Remember the 'shoot out' Jimmy v Hendo in 1988 2nd round. Jimmy a swift 80 odd in the decider, I seem to recall a lack of safety in that one. I don't remember the semi where he contrived to lose 16-11 to Griffiths Cry

Terry a high break of 65 in the 29 frame final...
Report Howellsy May 4, 2017 9:11 PM BST
white 143 vs Darren Morgan 1998. Morgan s****ing to himself as White potted another ridiculous shot; Ray Edmonds: 'how many shots of the championship do you want?'
Report Howellsy May 4, 2017 9:12 PM BST
chortling then
Report gobelins May 4, 2017 9:13 PM BST
Journeyman - thanks for reminding me of that fabulous, fabulous break. If that break had been at The Crucible it would have rivaled, perhaps even exceeded, A.Higgins's famous break in '82 given that the match situation was almost identical and it was a final...the final. But, as Higgins's do or die clearance was made at The Crucible, and he went on to win the title, you've probably still got to give his break the edge.

trebor - as you are a big snooker fan, what a horribly negative thing to say about a break of such quality especially given its importance. The black shaved the far jaw, not the near jaw like today, and if you're trying to tell us the blue would have stayed out on these tables - we'll start suspecting you work for the WPBSA or Star Tables!!
Report trebor May 5, 2017 12:23 AM BST
and if you're trying to tell us the blue would have stayed out on these tables - we'll start suspecting you work for the WPBSA or Star Tables!!

Well that's my point really, it don't matter if it would stay out or drop today, but many on this forum would have you believe that it is only since Hearn took over that a blue like that would drop. If that had took place during last weeks World Championships you would have posts galore all mentioning buckets, if Hendry was commentating on the match he would he would be questioning how that blue dropped, but me point it out and I am the one being negative?
Report the stunning May 6, 2017 10:59 AM BST
Spot on Trebor.All this rubbish about bucket pockets the last couple of weeks has been so OTT.I have followed the game for 30 odd years and can remember countless balls hitting the near rail a foot out and going in through the years.But it's fashion now to have a pop at the first ball that does so these days.Maybe they may be slightly more generously forgiving these days but not the buckets that are claimed on this forum.Way people are talking it's a pity Jimmy wasn't playing on them in the 90s as that black he twitched on in the last frame against Henry might have gone in and we would be looking for a new best player to never have won the worlds........Eugene Hughes gets my voteCool
Report davyb May 8, 2017 1:31 PM BST
the 1 that sticks in my mind is the masters final between Sullivan and Higgins, its 9-9 and higgings clears with 60 odd to win the match on the black
Report thegiggilo May 9, 2017 2:21 AM BST
The thing about that Hendry break,that's probably not even in his top dozen to me that just looked a break i'd expect him to dish was really only one difficult ball but more the significance of beating davis in that situation,but he has made breaks like that in exact same situations so many that I can't remember them.That's the way I personally definre great players,what they do from behind when playing poorly or someone playing exceptionally well against them,very few players fall into that category hendry miles clear but then you are struggling.
Report thegiggilo May 9, 2017 2:21 AM BST
The thing about that Hendry break,that's probably not even in his top dozen to me that just looked a break i'd expect him to dish was really only one difficult ball but more the significance of beating davis in that situation,but he has made breaks like that in exact same situations so many that I can't remember them.That's the way I personally definre great players,what they do from behind when playing poorly or someone playing exceptionally well against them,very few players fall into that category hendry miles clear but then you are struggling.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now