Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Over2.5
02 May 16 17:53
| Topic/replies: 9,219 | Blogger: Over2.5's blog
should be banned from the game.... worst player ive ever watched he makes peter ebdon look exciting.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View mark anti snooker and blessed with...
Show More
Report BornToWin May 2, 2016 6:14 PM BST
Definitely the luckiest player I have seen at the top level.

Would need a pint of happy pills to get through a 35 framer with him I think.
Report pandora1963 May 2, 2016 6:25 PM BST
no justice when you see his standard of snooker and there are players like ronnie and judd who aren't in the torunament...he doesn't lay to a high standard, he just wins very long matches by boring players to detah, slowing it down to a crawl, and playing good safety . How can anyone compare him to a true great like Hendry or Ronnie, hes not even in the mark williams class of world champ.
Report gentlemanjohn May 2, 2016 6:33 PM BST
Only need mincey here now for the numpty full house.

And yes, include myself among their number if you need to ask Wink
Report dom888 May 2, 2016 6:34 PM BST
Mark Selby is the chelsea of snooker.
Boring, lucky but successful, as they did win the Champions league vs munich.
Report pandora1963 May 2, 2016 6:35 PM BST
the sad thing is he will be called one of the greats if he wins tonight, and he isnt , the late paul hunter was on a different level to him and he never won a world title(though he would have done)
Report BornToWin May 2, 2016 6:39 PM BST
Its an entertainment business john, and maybe the odd chess player will appreciate the borefest but the wider public don't.

I am a player of well above average standard, with certain shots probably only me, Jimmy and Judd are capable of Wink
Report ccd May 2, 2016 6:44 PM BST
There is room for different styles. If there was only type of player it would be REALLY boring!
Report BornToWin May 2, 2016 6:46 PM BST
Sure ccd, but the golden age is gone. There ain't no millions tuning into the second session well beyond midnight.

I hope Ding can take it the distance and triumph, it would be good for the game. It can't happen though, because the spoiler knows how to spoil.
Report pandora1963 May 2, 2016 6:51 PM BST
a lot of the slower players from the past had big personalities or something about them, charisma, whatever you want to call it, even alex wasnt the fastest. Mark Selby isnt just a boring snooker player, he comes across as a complete bore off the table too. Yeah i know hes a nice guy blah blah, but a jester hs ain't. Where the fck was that nickname dreamed up from.
Report gentlemanjohn May 2, 2016 6:52 PM BST
certain shots probably only me, Jimmy and Judd are capable of Wink

Do you all belong to the same cocktail mixing club then?

Just from social media and internet sites in general, seems to me there's a phenomenal level of interest being generated by this final, bet the tv ratings will be huge, and that's not including the billion gazillion watching in china.
Report jackkat May 2, 2016 6:59 PM BST
Lets not get 2 carried away on Selby he is the master of finding a way to win he is just doing what the likes of other champions have done to slow the game down when facing potters and break builders
I can think of Reardon Davis Thorburn Ebdon as champions who have just slowed the game down to frustrate the likes of White Hurricane and Ronnie
I think we can all remember the 6 break of Ebdon v Ronnie that took 8 mins
The problem is its just not good to watch and I'm sure we would all like to be watching Ronnie v Robbo tonight
Report eastendking May 2, 2016 7:23 PM BST
Selby is very boring and he is a grinder. really hope Ding wins as this brand of snooker is not good for the image of the game
Report YOMOMMA May 2, 2016 7:33 PM BST
Selby is actually a very good fluent player when he is in form. It isn't his fault they have bucket pockets and all the best players went out.
Report BornToWin May 2, 2016 7:38 PM BST
standard leave nothing after missing by a mile.
Report eastendking May 2, 2016 7:39 PM BST
exactly....luck is on his side
Report detraveller May 2, 2016 7:44 PM BST
They have to get to 17 or 18?
Report BornToWin May 2, 2016 7:52 PM BST
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ronnie on about 72 by now
Report BornToWin May 2, 2016 7:53 PM BST
3 mins to play the only shot he had and f@cks it up.
Report charwell. May 2, 2016 10:17 PM BST
Is this the losing bet thread?
Report ZenMaster May 3, 2016 8:00 AM BST
Pocket talkers threadWink
Report speakup May 3, 2016 9:14 AM BST
Indeed. www.sour.grapes.co.uk. best matchplay player won over 2 weeks, thats why he's No.1. Sport is about winning not entertaining all the time....Judd is very entertaining to watch but.......I rest my case. Congratulations Mark Selby.
Report BornToWin May 3, 2016 10:07 AM BST
Are Ronnie and Jimmy pocket talkers too?

Its nothing to do with money. Selby is no mug, but he is also a spoiler. He knows he doesn't have the talent of a Higgins, O'Sullivan, or Ding so he goes into his shell and tries to stop them. Turns out he is good at it, with only Higgins prevailing in world finals.

That doesn't mean I or anyone else has to like it. I don't mind long safety exchanges, but he has a way of turning it really ugly.
Report ZenMaster May 3, 2016 10:12 AM BST
Jimmy and Ronnie are the biggest pocket talkers going!

Jimmy was all over Ding
Ronnie still not over the loss in 2014
Report ZenMaster May 3, 2016 10:14 AM BST
Selby doesn't spoil the game, he enhances it.
He adds new dimensions to the game, his tactical decision making is a pleasure to watch unfold.
Report BornToWin May 3, 2016 11:40 AM BST
Each to their own, 3 minutes to play a roll up just not my cup of tea especially when its clearly all you got.

Attacking is what I enjoy, potting a 12 ft red knowing its $hit or bust.

Also, his 'tactical decision making' is gamesmanship in my view. Particularly in his first final v Higgins.
Report frames May 3, 2016 11:42 AM BST
The last break to win the final was brilliant.If it had been Ronnie making that break the majority on this thread would be wan*ing.
Well played Mark.
Report ZenMaster May 3, 2016 3:31 PM BST
That's right frames and he does attack the long pots when they are on, he is just knows what to do when he breaks down with a lead and what to do to claw back a lead.
Report gentlemanjohn May 3, 2016 3:38 PM BST
No zen, he's 36 points up when he pots red, 42 if he takes the pink. I mean, how on earth would he not pot pink if it meant he only needed one more red? That's an entirely different scenario.

I think where I disagree is in saying the snooker behind the blue would have been a straighforward escape. For me, it most certainly isn't (and for a player of Ding's calibre too i hasten to add!). Like I said, the pink is cutting off the escape down one side. He can escape the other side, maybe twice across the table, but he'd have to be precise or else he'll probably leave something, the plant looks as it it can be made too, though not sure if he'd ever have played that.

I'm not saying there was anything wrong with potting pink and playign a telling safety. Just that your earlier description of what Selby did as negative is not accurate. In fact, what Selby was doing was avoiding the obvious, more negative, shot and playing a shot that he hoped would be a frame clincher. He actually played the thoughtful, positive shot that none of the comms picked up on. He might have won it either way, but it shows what an extraordinary tactical mind is at work there. I thought you, a committed Selby fan, wold appreciate that.
Report gentlemanjohn May 3, 2016 3:39 PM BST
Aaarrgjjj. wrog thread muppet.
Report ZenMaster May 3, 2016 4:22 PM BST
Laugh...17 days of Selby is getting to you john, like it or not!
Report gentlemanjohn May 3, 2016 5:49 PM BST
Not a bit of it! I have spent the day staring out at the beautiful sunshine with the tv, unplugged and forlorn, in the corner, not knowng what to do with myself. I suppose i could try and get a life, but watching snooker is easier Happy
Report xrite61 May 1, 2017 7:27 PM BST
Selby a great player - sorry no - just a good player with more than his fair share of luck
Report thegiggilo May 2, 2017 12:11 AM BST
I've read some sh1te on the forum this tops it,what a load of clueless idiots,or should I say Ronnie fans!!Laugh
Nit nite don't have nightmares,the LEGEND is relentless
Report Blackrock May 2, 2017 11:33 AM BST
Selby is a credit to himself. He doesn't have the ability of Judd or Ronnie, but he works relentlessly hard to bring himself to the level of 3 times world champion.

That is more impressive than having natural ability and little mental strength. Congrats Mark. You have more bottle in your little finger than the so called prima donnas who everyone seems to fawn over.
Report ease May 2, 2017 12:18 PM BST
Selby a pleasure to watch in the long matches. Mental strength, tactical acumen, incredible will to win and refusal to cave in when in seemingly impossible position- trailing 10-4!- Snooker is about much more than potting balls, but oh yes he has that in his armour too. Well done Mark.
Report Howellsy May 2, 2017 6:25 PM BST
Sport is about winning within the rules. Mark plays within the rules and wins. The function of a sportsman is not to entertain but to win. If entertainment is generated in doing so, it's a bonus. Selby has lost one match in 4 years at the Crucible. Only Davis and Hendry can match that and they can't better it over the same period. Selby is in the top 6 of the Crucible era, above Williams.
Report jed.davison May 3, 2017 9:56 AM BST
Interesting point howellsy

Who are the top six of the Crucible era? And who would win a match between the 2017 Selby and the 2002/3 Williams? Where does White fit in, if at all? Is the order to be decided on Championships won, making Davis higher than O'Sullivan?

I'm sure moondan will be along in a minute to provide us with his definitive and incontrovertible opinion on these points, and most probably several others of interest. Silly
Report SabineIsGOAT May 3, 2017 9:59 AM BST
You don't win the world title 3 times or be world number 1 for years on end by being lucky
Report Howellsy May 3, 2017 5:54 PM BST
Jed, my order would be Hendry, Davis, O'Sullivan, J Higgins and Selby, but I said top 6 in awareness that Reardon has won at the Crucible but as his era was really the early-mid seventies, maybe he shouldn't be included. I'd have A Higgins and Williams next. After that I agree it's tricky - White was clearly top class but just didn't win it! Williams at his best was an awesome match player - but you'd have to say the same for all of the above. What would your list be?
Report jed.davison May 3, 2017 6:11 PM BST
It would have Hendry top, but I'd probably have O'Sullivan second and Davis third - I will not include Higgins because in my opinion he shouldn't be allowed to play professional snooker.

Then I'd have Williams, Selby and White - I have to include Jimmy because he lost four finals to the greatest snooker player there has ever been and reached one final when he was 19.
Report Howellsy May 3, 2017 6:49 PM BST
Fair comment. Why Williams above Selby?
Report gobelins May 3, 2017 7:15 PM BST
jed - J.Higgins did win 3 World titles here before the scandal. I agree that he got off lightly, and I've always been of the opinion that B.Hearn took the easy way out banning him for 6 months. Either Higgins should have received no ban, as he did nothing improper, or he should have been banned for a similar length of time as Q.Hann, because he would have. You'd have to have him in the top 6 (4th) even if you leave out his 4th title and this year's appearance in the final.
Report jed.davison May 3, 2017 7:40 PM BST
I didn't mean to place Williams above Selby, I'm undecided as to which one of them should be fourth. I would expect Selby to render the argument academic over the next three or four years, but right now it's a tough one because I think Williams beat stronger fields to win his titles.

I suppose so gobelins, just can't have the bloke personally, and he was chucking matches long before the NOTW got hold of him.
Report BornToWin May 3, 2017 10:32 PM BST
I would have Williams above Selby, even after he mops up a couple more from the weak minded wannabes.

Higgins at 41 should not be reaching finals. He was a shadow of his best and were he at it he smashes Selby each and every time. Say what you like about him his cue action is poetry in motion unlike the car crash that is Selby's. So was Williams, an absolute joy to watch, like therapy. Watching Selby makes me need therapy.

The Chinese will never make it, they have not the mentality. Ding is as close as they will ever get. They are all gamblers, not chess players. Well actually they might because there is no young talent coming through here. Could completely change the landscape.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now