Forums

Site Feedback

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Just Checking
06 Mar 11 15:53
| Topic/replies: 23,301 | Blogger: Just Checking's blog
Often I've wondered this. You're watching a match, there's absolutely NO doubt whatsoever a goal has been scored, I mean no doubt at all, they're showing the replays, the players celebrating etc, the commentator is discussing it. So you want to adjust your position, and betfair is stubbornly stuck on SUSPENDED for a lengthy period of time. And then a bit longer. And then a bit longer. Sometimes the match has even kicked off again before suspend comes off as you sit there dumbfounded staring at the monitor clicking refresh in frustration and in vain.

******** Why ********?

If there's a second goal shortly after, as happens, you may well have MISSED the opportunity to place bets or lay at the scoreline, and the reason was not yourself, or a lack of people wanting to match your bets, but quite simply betfair being suspended for an unjustifyable length of time.

This is incredibly frustrating. Nobody would want betfair to be too quick off the mark and make mistakes but it's obvious to anyone using the service that the above happens.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Why does Betfair suspend so long...
Show More
Report Betfair Community Manager 2 March 7, 2011 10:57 AM GMT
Hi

I've spoken to the team that looks after football markets, here's the reply:

"We have to be totally certain that a goal has been awarded and confirmed before re-opening markets.  This isn’t always as easy as it seems – even with players celebrate and TV cameras show replays, etc there have been many times when the goal has not actually been awarded.

For games such as English Premier League matches, the feeds and sources we use will be extremely reliable and helpful in confirming goals so we will usually have these markets re-opened fairly quickly. However for matches from lower leagues in other countries, we can only re-open markets once we have confirmed material events and that may not always happen so fast. 

It is obviously within Betfair’s interest to get the markets open and take more bets but our procedures are there in place to protect both ourselves and our customers."
Report Just Checking March 7, 2011 8:36 PM GMT
I'm finding the reply very hard to accept. Augsburf Dussedorf just went to 2-2. I got up, went out of room,  match had kicked off again. Match is playing away, 2-2 on screen, playing away playing away. Clicking away on Refresh, still suspended, still suspended, still suspended as the match is being played with 2-2 on screen.

Why is it suspended? Why do BETFAIR need to even KNOW the exact score to re-enable the match inplay, you don't settle then?

Oh there's another goal lets see, 3-2. I've started timing it from a few seconds afterwards. Ok goalscorer announced on tannoy. Still suspended. Kicks off, still suspended, still suspended. And you know what, 40 seconds that's FORTY SECONDS after I could see it had kicked off and 1 MINUTE FIFTY odd seconds AFTER the goal, betfair unsuspends, with immaculate timing, JUST as a FOURTH home goal goes in to make it 4-2! Anyone who wanted to try and close a position on 3-2, tough luck there then.

What justification is there for keeping it suspended for 40 seconds AFTER the kick off after the goal?
I just don't buy it.
Report Just Checking March 7, 2011 8:39 PM GMT
Please tell me your operators aren't bogged down filling in the 'in play events' timeline, and think doing it when suspended and extending the suspend period is an appropriate time for catching up on a bit of 'paperwork'? Is that the reason? :(
Report benny_ROBS_roy March 9, 2011 12:25 AM GMT
ttt i would like an answer on that
Report Betfair Community Manager 2 March 9, 2011 8:19 AM GMT
Hi

I can assure you that those who manage markets have nothing at all to do with the in-play timeline.
Report luckylordjim December 2, 2017 2:02 PM GMT
Betfair's argument about being dead certain a goal has been scored is rubbish. They'll often suspend from the first half till the game's over, usually if I've won
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now