Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
arbster
09 Jun 17 18:39
| Topic/replies: 12,142 | Blogger: arbster's blog
Things are certainly not going as the BL management would have hoped for or even expected.
The tour is scheduled to give the BL every opportunity to go into the Test matches unbeaten and that scenario would certainly add to the interest of the general public.
There is now a danger to the BL that this tour becomes a bit of a "whitewash" or the "the Tour of Hell II" (after Eng in Aus in 98).
Without Billy Vunipola (and the 2-3m gain line busts he makes every 5 minutes) the BL have virtually nothing to offer going forward..... other than forward dominated play (pens and catch and drives into the corner)... and a bit of very predictable bash in the centres.
Not particularly difficult to overcome if you have the most talented players in the world.
The pre series 15/8 (+ 6 hcp) Crusaders has obviously now all gone with the Crusaders now (surprisingly only just) slight favs........... for a start, there’s only one team who can win this game by a "hatful"...... and it’s not the BL! (if they win they will be hanging on by 7 points or less in the last 5 mins)........ I’m not sure 5/4 a team that, at best, can only win by one score is great value :)
The BL have now been forced to play several test players against the Crusaders (in order just to compete and keep the tour "alive" competitively) and the real danger to the BL is that come the Test matches the squad could be in pieces and badly beaten up (the NZ Maoris certainly won’t be taking any backward steps in their game v BL).
On a wider issue the British Lions have no iconic figure head / Leader (Willie John.... Martin Johnson etc that all look up to) or no "magician" like Jason Robinson who can suddenly spark things with a dazzling run........... and I feel that the "squad binding" historically, a hallmark of the Lions, just doesn’t exist with this group........ that’s not saying they don’t get on...... it just feels like a group of home internationals thrown together at the end of a very long home season.... on mission impossible....... and in 2017 we live in a diff age to 1974 or Lions yesteryears ........ players are just not going to put their bodies on the line for the BL......player protection and "looking after yourself" is much more of an accepted priority these days.
God luck to BL ......... you're going to need it!!
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View British Lions Match 3 (v Crusaders)
Show More
Report bobweenit June 9, 2017 7:26 PM BST
Great value on the Lions they well be up 4 this 1Cool
Report arbster June 9, 2017 7:42 PM BST
I'm sure they'll be "up for it"........ but value @ 5/4? playing a long way from home against prob the best club team in the world ..... there's been a bit of light rain in Dunedin yesterday (under quarter of an inch) ...... but all looks set fair for a clear dry day (i.e. Saturday in NZ)..... which does the Lions no favours at all.
Report bobweenit June 9, 2017 7:47 PM BST
true but shirley these mugs gotta come good, After the value being with the 2 previous sides they have played i know think it has switched and if Gatland has not got them red hot 4 this and they lose tour is already basically a joke! I will be backing the lions ht ft not very heavily or with great confidence just as value
Report arbster June 9, 2017 7:48 PM BST
In fact as dry weather actually materialises, in the hours pre kick off....... a Lions drift is inevitable (for anyone trading)
Report bobweenit June 9, 2017 7:52 PM BST
not so sure watched enough Crusaders games this season to realise there 1 of the most apt teams in the wet actually think dry conditions favour the Lions
Report arbster June 9, 2017 8:13 PM BST
A "Value" bet is when you place a bet at better odds than the true odds...... I'm not sure Id be feeling any "value" on the Lions at under 2/1 ...... but each to their own...... yes the Crusaders "go" on any going (their front 5 wont be too far away from the AB front 5)...... so no easy dominance or pens for the Lions like they had against the Blues
Report jedi sophie June 10, 2017 12:13 AM BST
Thought Crusaders be shorter,Bet accordingly!1.8.
Report Latalomne June 10, 2017 8:18 AM BST
I think it's almost inevitable that we will see an improved Lions performance today, but they're going to have to.  Like arbster, I don't see any value in the Lions' price.
Report Latalomne June 10, 2017 8:50 AM BST
Good start from the Lions.  0-3 after 14.
Report Latalomne June 10, 2017 8:51 AM BST
0-6 after 16
Report dlarssonf June 10, 2017 8:56 AM BST
disgraceful from murray , big ban coming LaughLaugh
Report dlarssonf June 10, 2017 8:57 AM BST
disgraceful from murray , big ban comingLaughLaugh
Report Latalomne June 10, 2017 9:02 AM BST
3-6 after 25
Report arbster June 10, 2017 9:07 AM BST
An improved performance from the Lions "Test team" so far, at least they are competitive.......... if the Lions "Test team" cant win this from here can see the wheels coming off for the remainder of the tour... the Lions are effectively "all in" on this one
Report bobweenit June 10, 2017 9:07 AM BST

Jun 10, 2017 -- 12:13AM, jedi sophie wrote:

Thought Crusaders be shorter,Bet accordingly!1.8.

Are you topping up or is bet accordingly full bank 1.8?

Report Latalomne June 10, 2017 9:10 AM BST
3-9 after 31
Report Latalomne June 10, 2017 9:13 AM BST
What is it about Lions tour threads that makes them behave strangely?
Report bobweenit June 10, 2017 9:16 AM BST
cant give that get on with it ffs
Report bobweenit June 10, 2017 9:17 AM BST
no respect not taking the 3Laugh
Report bobweenit June 10, 2017 9:17 AM BST
punish these mugs you LIONS
Report bobweenit June 10, 2017 9:21 AM BST
OH MY GET OVER HERE 4 CLOVERExcited
Report bobweenit June 10, 2017 9:23 AM BST
PITY GOOD D
Report dlarssonf June 10, 2017 9:23 AM BST
Lions are so poor in attack
Report Latalomne June 10, 2017 9:23 AM BST
HT 3-9
Report arbster June 10, 2017 9:28 AM BST
The worrying thing for the Lions is they effectively havent scored a try in open play for 2.5 games so far
Report bobweenit June 10, 2017 9:34 AM BST
Yes look clueless
Report bobweenit June 10, 2017 9:35 AM BST
2 lineouts from 5 out and not a sniff of a try
Report bobweenit June 10, 2017 9:38 AM BST
make that 3
Report bobweenit June 10, 2017 9:40 AM BST
they really r lacking any flair in attack but the crusaders have good D tbf
Report Latalomne June 10, 2017 9:41 AM BST
Farrell misses a relatively straightforward 3
Report dlarssonf June 10, 2017 9:43 AM BST
lions going to regret this inept display in the final third
Report Latalomne June 10, 2017 9:44 AM BST
Lions at 1.36 for a 6pt lead?
Report bobweenit June 10, 2017 9:44 AM BST
nah lions will be fitter than this club side
Report Latalomne June 10, 2017 9:48 AM BST
Cry
Report Latalomne June 10, 2017 10:11 AM BST
3-12 after 70
Report bobweenit June 10, 2017 10:12 AM BST
EZ MONEYCool I FEEL 4 ODDS ON CLUB BACKERS AGAINST THE LIONSLaugh I THINK THE WORD IS MUGSWhoops
Report bobweenit June 10, 2017 10:13 AM BST

Jun 9, 2017 -- 8:13PM, arbster wrote:

A "Value" bet is when you place a bet at better odds than the true odds...... I'm not sure Id be feeling any "value" on the Lions at under 2/1 ...... but each to their own...... yes the Crusaders "go" on any going (their front 5 wont be too far away from the AB front 5)...... so no easy dominance or pens for the Lions like they had against the Blues

VALUE MY FRIENDWink

Report england_v_south_afri June 10, 2017 10:15 AM BST
Good Call Bob! I think the general opinion was a Crusaders win.
Report bobweenit June 10, 2017 10:16 AM BST
Yes forum gone very quiteWink
Report sageform June 10, 2017 10:19 AM BST
Great so far from Lions but either the cameras are very misleading or I have seen at least 6 clear forward passes that have not been called.
Report bobweenit June 10, 2017 10:19 AM BST
PENRITH PANTHERSLoveLoveLoveLove
Report bobweenit June 10, 2017 10:21 AM BST
Just bust 1.01 on the raiders did the Panthers
Report bobweenit June 10, 2017 10:21 AM BST
4 any interested in the other code
Report bobweenit June 10, 2017 10:23 AM BST

Jun 10, 2017 -- 10:19AM, sageform wrote:

Great so far from Lions but either the cameras are very misleading or I have seen at least 6 clear forward passes that have not been called.

every match these days in Union and league

Report Latalomne June 10, 2017 10:23 AM BST
Good performance from the Lions and shout from Bob.  Actually think the Crusaders bottled it a bit.  Lots of uncharacteristic errors.
Report arbster June 10, 2017 11:17 AM BST
A good performance from the Lions "Test team"... albeit basically forced to declare their hand after only 2 games on tour (todays backline will def be the Test team + 5 or 6 from the pack today)......and no open play tries scored after 3 matches - not good ... injuries and fatigue will ultimately come into play and the AB backlash in the Tests......... but for now congratulations to the Lions (with a typical Northern hemisphere "Saracens" type game plan)
Report sageform June 10, 2017 11:26 AM BST
It was the introduction of subs that helped to keep the Crusaders quiet. Watson was an injury replacement but played very well and Sexton, Itoje and Cole all added impetus at the right time. England have improved immensely since they started making subs a key part of the game and not just forced by injury or fatigue.
Report The_KAMIKAZEE_DRINKING_MACHINE June 11, 2017 12:03 PM BST
I think world Rugby overall would be vastly improved if there were no such thing as French referees.
This particular specimen was a terrible blight on what was an otherwise interesting match.
Report northanlite June 12, 2017 12:31 PM BST
Not announced yet but heard that Hogg's tour is over with eye socket damage. Damn unlucky way to go out
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now