Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
tanglefoot
09 Jul 18 15:06
| Topic/replies: 4,285 | Blogger: tanglefoot's blog
A man of integrity
Share |
Show More
Report tanglefoot July 9, 2018 3:08 PM BST
Doesn’t have to polish a turd of Mrs May EU policy
Report donny osmond July 9, 2018 3:10 PM BST
sounded out the landscape before resigning , rather like he did before deciding
he wasnt a remainer in the first place.

integrity

lol
Report donny osmond July 9, 2018 3:12 PM BST
Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide
No escape from reality
Open your eyes
Look up to the skies and see
I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy
Because I'm easy come, easy go
A little high, little low
Anyway the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me, to me
Report Dotchinite July 9, 2018 3:18 PM BST
Boris has about as much integrity as Corbyn. None.
Report tony57 July 9, 2018 3:20 PM BST
why has corbyn got no integrity?..hes not in power?
Report donny osmond July 9, 2018 3:23 PM BST
boris will be lying in front of the bulldozers down heathrow way
Report Esox July 9, 2018 3:23 PM BST
Corbyn has integrity, he has always stood up for his beliefs even if they are not popular. Unlike this government that has no clue what it is doing. Austerity was and is just persecution of the poor.
Report tanglefoot July 9, 2018 3:31 PM BST
Austerity, do u remember labour gleefully announcing  the cupboard was bare,when they lost the election
Report Esox July 9, 2018 3:37 PM BST
I remember Thatcher selling off everything that belonged to the people.
Report invicta July 9, 2018 3:40 PM BST
and Brown selling off all of our gold at the lowest price.
Report posy July 9, 2018 3:42 PM BST
I'm delighted the fat slob has gone;should never have been appointed FS in the first place. TM has just got to hold her nerve for a few days and let it all blow over.
Report baNjackst July 9, 2018 3:46 PM BST
Totally understandable Boris steps down. That's some dribble May produced on Friday.
Report PorcupineorPineapple July 9, 2018 3:51 PM BST
Isn't this just the pinnacle of the mountain they created.

They know - they just know - they don't have a solution to it. There just isn't one. And rather than stick it out and make the best of it they're jumping ship so as not to be tainted by failure. They'll be back on tv soon enough and it should be the duty of journalists to press them for details on what they would do to make it work. No flannel, no soundbites but actual forensic detail that can be questioned.

They've gotten away with it long enough and this is - hopefully - the fall of the biggest group of utter bluffers ever to take government. Not even interested in doing right by the people. Just solely interested in their own careers and how they can turn this into something profitable for them and their allies.

One good thing is that there's a whole raft of these career-embezzlers who could be forced to sign on in a couple of months. Hopefully we can look back in a few years and see this as a clean slate to start again.
Report Dotchinite July 9, 2018 3:53 PM BST
How many people realise that Corbyn's Eu views are in line with Rees Mogg's although Corbyn wont get trade deals to compensate for his hard brexit.
Report moisok July 9, 2018 4:01 PM BST
Is there more than a pitiful few who have britain's interests at heart except for the expansion of their own careers??
Report Dotchinite July 9, 2018 4:02 PM BST
Its virtually zero.
Report bigpoppapump July 9, 2018 5:06 PM BST
May will be done by the weekend
Report enpassant July 9, 2018 5:11 PM BST

Jul 9, 2018 -- 3:31PM, tanglefoot wrote:

Austerity, do u remember labour gleefully announcing

Report enpassant July 9, 2018 5:15 PM BST
^It is a tradition and well known to the rancid party but they thought they may be able to use it for some of the gullible electorate.
Report enpassant July 9, 2018 5:17 PM BST
Boris 'Two letters' Johnson and integrity do not go on the same page let alone sentence.
Report posy July 9, 2018 5:19 PM BST
The Silly Season has arrived early this year.Quite clearly No 10 set up both renegade ministers who have taken the bait. She's in a far stronger position without them and if either mounts a leadership challenge she should win comfortably.
Report enpassant July 9, 2018 5:20 PM BST
Mogg : complaining that the party have to stick by their manifesto promise - what about the catalogue of ones they didn't stick to Moggy ? Was there a peep out of the multi millionaire, devout, bible doctrine following catholic for them ?
Report invicta July 9, 2018 5:23 PM BST
I have listened to the PM's statement, Corbyns incoherent and rambling response, two hours of questions, most of which support the Gov stance. I agree with posy, with Boris and Davies gone she is far stronger than before.
Report 1st time poster July 9, 2018 5:30 PM BST
FFS WHAT ABOUT THE 17 MILLION who voted for brexit
what about the millions who,ll now join them if only in protest that democracy doesn't excist in the uk unless its one the commons agree with

hardly suprising most in the commons agree with her the majority of them and the civil service are remoaners
Report bigpoppapump July 9, 2018 5:32 PM BST
she's finished - even if she doesn't get overturned by the party this week, she's sh4gged because her position on Brexit will not get agreed by the EU.  The EU will not give the UK anything much and she's going to find out that the turd she's spent two years trying to polish still will not buff up.  Anyone responsible will not take the country over the edge of economic destruction - despite 52% of old people thinking "a deal will get done" or "BMW will step in" etc - and therefore she either resigns as her actions will be irresponsible, or she drives us off the cliff and she goes because, well, she's driven us off the cliff and you cannot do that as PM.  Whatever she does she's finished because she hasn't done the difficult (but intellectually honest) task of actually leading.  Ie: pointing out the reasons she campaigned against Brexit.  The reasons it's a bad idea haven't changed.

so she's done.
Report 1st time poster July 9, 2018 5:34 PM BST
I,m getting confused I thought the polish the turd remark was a call for volunteers to meet trump at the airport,Laugh
Report enpassant July 9, 2018 5:36 PM BST
I am no expert on the Tory leadership policy but it was said on another thread that it goes to the members when the candidates are down to two. I suspect if a hardliner got that far they could win.
Report enpassant July 9, 2018 5:40 PM BST
People still using the term remoaners ! Oh dear me.
Report posy July 9, 2018 5:58 PM BST
In the unlikely event there is sufficient support to initiate a leadership contest she will win easily...talk of a leadership challenge is due to the hot weather addling  brains .
Report enpassant July 9, 2018 6:05 PM BST
What if a Mogg or Boris got as far as the membership vote ?
Report bigpoppapump July 9, 2018 6:05 PM BST
no PM - never mind one as weak as May - could survive this. 

It's a coordinated attack and comes from an ideological stand-point (Brexit) which dominates the Tories.  What they are doing (hard Brexiteers) are repainting the moderates who want to leave but find an economically less risky version as Remainers.  Make it binary on Brexit, and point out the truth (she wanted Remain and acts as if no Deal would be a disaster for the UK, no matter what she says) and she doesn't have the numbers in the Party.  That's what you'll see happen.

Summary:  Tory Civil War will drag us all down because they went to the schools that taught them they could behave as if actions don't have consequences.

The referendum was the result of this Tory Civil War and as it hasn't yet been settled, there's more to come...
Report 1st time poster July 9, 2018 6:11 PM BST
lost the details of 1000,s of windrush people
lost a 50 seat tory majority
lost 7 cabinet ministers

you arnt really suggesting she couldn't lose a vote of no confidence,the womans a serial loser
Report InsiderTrader July 9, 2018 6:25 PM BST
Nice letter from Boris.

He does not want to the UK to be a colony.
Report anxious July 9, 2018 6:25 PM BST
Bullingdon and gove 2 more backstabbing spiv plotters , what an absolute shower they are the lot of them
Report enpassant July 9, 2018 6:31 PM BST
Having had a closer look it seems May would need 159 of her own MP's to win a vote of no confidence. It is very likely May would reach that number.
What a tough position for the Tory party. A PM with little authority, the poison chalice of brexit, open war among themselves in the House and a catalogue of failed policies.
I'm not sure why Labour (they have their own problems of course but they are not in government..yet.)would want a GE right now.
Report enpassant July 9, 2018 6:31 PM BST

Jul 9, 2018 -- 6:25PM, InsiderTrader wrote:

Nice letter from Boris.He does not want to the UK to be a colony.

I'm sure he has another letter in his pocket just in case.

Report InsiderTrader July 9, 2018 6:43 PM BST
anxious
09 Jul 18 18:25
| Topic/replies: 23,463 | Blogger: anxious's blog
Bullingdon and gove 2 more backstabbing spiv plotters , what an absolute shower they are the lot of them

^

Whos position is better...
1. Gove staying and supporting something he is against having campaigned to leave.
2. Boris resigning because he says he cannot support something he is against having campaigned to leave.

Those were the two options. Stay or go.

Like me, you are a leave supporter Anxious. I find Gove's position a lot worse than Boris.
Report enpassant July 9, 2018 6:51 PM BST
Is that simply because it matches your own position and it is how you wish to view it. Some say he should have stayed and fought his corner within the cabinet.
Report enpassant July 9, 2018 6:53 PM BST
Boris waited until the 11th hour to decide his views on brexit, ran away after the vote and now waits for another minister to move before he does himself. He is an egotistical clown with no integrity whatsoever.
Report anxious July 9, 2018 7:05 PM BST
Yep i think gove and Bullingdon are more concerned about being the next tory leader , apparently Chairman May  was applauded by tory mps  at the meeting a while ago , the reality is both Davis and Bullingdon should have stayed and argued their case
Report edy July 9, 2018 7:12 PM BST

Jul 9, 2018 -- 6:25PM, InsiderTrader wrote:

Nice letter from Boris.He does not want to the UK to be a colony.

This is a guy that had penned a comprehensive piece on the advantages of staying in the EU and single market mere days before seeing glory for himself on the other side of the pavement, isn't it?

Report mafeking July 9, 2018 7:15 PM BST
surely if there was a vote a simple majority is not enough for may. she has to win by a landslide or she'll be told to resign anyway
Report InsiderTrader July 9, 2018 7:36 PM BST
You would have David Davies to our man in Brussels trying to get a deal he does not believe in whilst at the same try and convince a remain majority cabinet to change their minds?

I just do not see how he could have done that.
Report enpassant July 9, 2018 8:06 PM BST
It has always been that way, nothing has really changed and they know it.
Brexiteer tory MP's run when it is on the line - that is their form -
how could the not so bright DD help this country ?
That clown boris can do nothing without first getting the help of a proctologist.
Report 1st time poster July 9, 2018 8:06 PM BST
boris was a reluctant leaver could have went either way,davia doesn't have the stomach for a fight always appears to have somewhere he,d rather be than fight out a deal,cracking jokes at his press conferences etc, with the other 5,6 staying in cabinet ,I think boris and davis will be just happy to back away from it, but boris wont let it lie and instead of a no confidence vote,leadership election, they,ll pick the moments and vote against may in the commons on subjects nothing to do with brexit to inflict defeats and letting her brexit policy get knocked back by eu or failing to deliver brexit to the publics liking
Report TheBetterBettor July 10, 2018 5:19 AM BST
I thought hed liked jogging....

He missed a trick there. He shouldve resigned at Chequers and legged it to the taxis in his suit.

Imagine the photo headlines and slo-mo footage with the theme of Chariots of Fire belting out.... 'Running for Brexit'
Report PorcupineorPineapple July 10, 2018 7:46 AM BST
John McKendrick, the Attorney General of Anguilla - "Meeting the worst Foreign Secretary we’ve ever had amongst the destruction of Hurricane Irma in Anguilla. Disinterested and out of his depth he cared nothing for our situation. Good riddance"
Report lord skywalker July 10, 2018 9:07 AM BST
so may will go to brussels with her version of brexit, EU will say this is what you will get and we stay in the eu anyway , i will never vote again if the eu ref result is'nt held up
Report richgit July 10, 2018 9:19 AM BST
A happy day for me......that National embarrassment.......gone .. ( for good I hope).

David Davis was completely out of his depth with Barnier....nice enough fella, but not a "detail" man.......relies on charm and persuasion......didn't wash.

I reckon Boris should forge a new career as  a stand up double act with Dianne Abbott.....the Abbott and Costello of politics.
Report richgit July 10, 2018 9:36 AM BST
One more folks.......would anyone of you allow Boris to run your business for a year ?

Would you allow him to responsibly look after your young children for the whole day ?

Sure, he's intellectually intelligent....but on actual Planet Earth, he's just a puffed up,self promoting, liability.

Square peg....round  hole ......
Report lord skywalker July 10, 2018 9:37 AM BST
snp said "Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon says her Scottish National Party MPs will continue to argue for closer ties to the European Union which - she argues - would have greater cross-party support than the prime minister's plans.

"The thing that has the most chance of commanding a majority is single market and customs union membership," she says.

dont they relize that the eu wont let you have single market & customs union without allowing free movemeant
Report baNjackst July 10, 2018 10:07 AM BST
Is the snp and Nicola Sturgeon the crowd that campaigns for Scottish Independence. Should the Scottish ever vote 52% to leave the UK it should be ignored. And while looking for independence should they really have a say on the future of UK
Report PorcupineorPineapple July 10, 2018 10:13 AM BST
To be fair the Scottish public overwhelmingly voted to remain so she's simply representing their views.
Report bigpoppapump July 10, 2018 10:54 AM BST
and to be even fairer - the referendum was won on "a deal will get done" "BMW will step in"  "there wont be chaos" "there'll be all this extra money for the NHS" and nobody mentioned Ireland or £40b pay offs.  We elect MPs to represent our interests, and there's a lot of people who depend on economic stability.  So you might not like her, but people voted for her to represent their interests and I'm yet to hear who wins if we lose 20% off our GDP.  Appreciate the law of big numbers kicks in - people cannot visualize what losing big slices of our national income actually means - but trust me, nobody voted for it.
Report mrtopnotch July 10, 2018 11:01 AM BST
Fintan O’Toole: Britain has gone to huge trouble to humiliate itself
Best possible Brexit outcome is the worst of both worlds, a state neither in nor out

Fintan O'Toole

The best headline about British prime minister Theresa May’s short-lived triumph over the hard Brexiteers last Friday was undoubtedly the one on Pádraig Collins’s report in the Guardian: “Possum rescued after getting head stuck in Nutella jar”.

Admittedly, Collins was actually reporting, not from Chequers, but from Brisbane, Australia. Yet the accompanying photograph was the perfect image of what May is trying to do. It showed the furry creature all curled up and immobilised with its head completely encased in a glass jar streaked with visible residues of sticky brown stuff. As a spokesman for the Australian RSPCA explained, the dumb animal “managed to get his head in the jar, but obviously couldn’t get it out”. The rescuer put “towels around the possum so she could get him out of the jar without getting scratched by his claws”.

Though in colour it may look like Nutella, it is actually a different kind of sticky brown stuff
The story saves me the trouble of thinking up a metaphor. The Brexiteers have their heads stuck in a jar of sticky brown stuff that seemed so sweet and enticing. May’s compromise deal and the White Paper she is still expected to publish this week are the towels wrapped round the Brexiteers’ claws so that their heads can be pulled out of the jar without her premiership getting scratched to death.

Distorting lens
The only problem is that David Davis and Boris Johnson, having been successfully extracted, decided to bare their claws again. As any possum or two-year-old child will tell you, sticking your head inside a glass jar is quite a thrill. You get to see the world through a distorting lens that creates a comforting distance between you and reality. You can’t hear unwanted voices raising awkward questions. Brexit has so far been conducted through a glass darkly. It has been seen through glorious fantasies of imperial revival and layers of self-pity about imaginary oppression. What May has been attempting, very late in the day, is to force her more deluded colleagues to get their heads out of the jar and look directly at Brexit.

She has shown them the best-case scenario, the most desirable possible outcome. And though in colour it may look like Nutella, it is actually a different kind of sticky brown stuff. “Human kind,” said TS Eliot, “cannot bear very much reality,” and the same is surely true of Davis, Johnson and their fellow diehards. May has finally managed to disenchant the Brexit project, to strip away its heroic veneer. And instead of a date with destiny, it looks awfully like a loveless marriage, entered into with a heavy heart because the only alternative is unbearable loneliness.

The Brexit the British are now officially seeking is indeed miserable. Instead of the Star Trek vision of boldly going where no imperial-nostalgic society had gone before, it would not have enough thrust to get the UK out of the gravitational pull of the European Union. And instead of freeing British businesses from Brussels red tape, it proposes to wrap them up like mummies in layers of staggeringly complex bureaucracy, with two completely different tariff regimes operating side by side. And this, remember, is what the UK is asking for, not what it will get.

In real negotiations, as Davis knows from experience, things can only get worse: the role of the hated European Court of Justice will loom much larger and the opt-outs for future UK parliaments will disappear. If a deal is to be done at all, the last vestiges of fantasy Brexit will have to be stripped away and what will be left is a state that has negotiated its way from full partnership to the status of a rule-taking satellite of the EU.

Has any country ever gone into international treaty negotiations hoping to emerge with a status greatly inferior to the one it already enjoys?
When you take away all the heroic elements of Brexit, all the epic thrills of throwing off the oppressor and beginning a new history, what you are left with is just this – a country that has gone to enormous trouble to humiliate itself. Brexit has reached the point where the best possible outcome is the worst of both worlds, a state that is neither in nor out, neither on its own nor part of something larger.

This is what all the patriotic bombast has brought Britain to: a humble request that the EU play nice and grant it a subordinate status. Imagine that at some point in the past, the EU had actually offered this to the British. How dare they!

National humiliation
Can there be the slightest doubt that the British would have been up in arms, demanding nothing less than full EU membership? Has any country ever gone into international treaty negotiations hoping to emerge with a status greatly inferior to the one it already enjoys? What do we want? National humiliation. When do we want it? Now.

Davis and Johnson know this is the reality they helped to create. They hadn’t the stomach either to face it or to publish a credible alternative. That is because the only alternatives to a mortifying Brexit are stark. One is to be honest and admit that the whole project has already failed and must be stopped before it is too late. The other is to stick your head back in the Nutella jar. If May goes, there may be no one left to pull the poor possums out.
Report bigpoppapump July 10, 2018 11:10 AM BST
It has been seen through glorious fantasies of imperial revival and layers of self-pity about imaginary oppression.

nice line.  reads as if he's spent a lot of time on these threads.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now