Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
InsiderTrader
04 Jul 18 12:32
| Topic/replies: 5,850 | Blogger: InsiderTrader's blog
We could soon no longer be allowed to share links on social media on here and Wikipedia could have to shut down.

The web as we know it could be over as large corporations take over everything.

Very little in the UK news on this but it is being voted on this week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44696302

Italian Wikipedia blocked readers from its pages on Tuesday in protest over the future of EU online copyright law.

Critics say the rules, due to be voted on this week, could put an end to memes and remixes, and require platforms to pay for linking to news.

Instead of an encyclopaedia entry, visitors to any page on the Italian language Wikipedia were greeted with a statement about the upcoming vote.

The editors wrote that "Wikipedia itself would be at risk of closing".

"If the proposal is approved, it may be impossible to share a newspaper article on social networks or find it on a search engine," it said.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Italy Wikipedia shuts down in protest...
Show More
Report donny osmond July 4, 2018 8:05 PM BST
what will be left for the troll farms?
Report Dr Crippen July 5, 2018 2:31 PM BST
Very little in the UK news on this but it is being voted on this week.

Which is how the Eu operates, aided and abetted by those in the grip of the corporations.
Report dave1357 July 5, 2018 3:05 PM BST
don't worry Insider Trader will be along soon to praise the EU's democratic process (and criticise our own, where ten NI bigots call the shots).
Report dave1357 July 5, 2018 4:49 PM BST
I'm sure he'll be along shortly, probably busy defending rees-mogg's tax dodging or something important like that.
Report Whisperingdeath July 5, 2018 6:47 PM BST
how about talking about the argument?

Should youtube.com ( Google ) pay more for showing videos of The Clash? I think so! although I like that it is free!
Report InsiderTrader July 5, 2018 7:13 PM BST
Its not about that WD. It is about having AI software checking everything that goes up incase there is something on it that might be copyrighted. This is not about youtube themselves it is about controlling what goes out to the public and what news can be spread through links when you have to pay to post a link. It is response to the control of news cycle being taken away from main stream controlled media.
Report moisok July 5, 2018 9:41 PM BST
They voted against it
Report InsiderTrader July 5, 2018 10:12 PM BST
No they voted to debate it rather than just rubber stamp it.
Report moisok July 5, 2018 10:15 PM BST
hang on I may have got my sky news propaganda wrong!!!  that will learn me   -  that putt me in my plaice
Report InsiderTrader July 5, 2018 10:23 PM BST
'A 318-278 majority of MEPs in the European Parliament has just voted to reopen debate around a controversial digital copyright reform proposal — meaning it will now face further debate and scrutiny, rather than be fast-tracked towards becoming law via the standard EU trilogue negotiation process.

Crucially it means MEPs will have the chance to amend the controversial proposals.'

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/05/european-meps-vote-to-reopen-copyright-debate-over-censorship-controversy/
Report InsiderTrader July 5, 2018 10:24 PM BST
What did Sky say about it?
Report moisok July 6, 2018 11:48 AM BST
that the parliament had voted AGAINST it - clearly they were wrong
Report Whisperingdeath July 6, 2018 5:15 PM BST
Generally the news implied they voted in favour of the Media Giants.

So what is the argument about again? It was being framed as about copyright and the Media Companies not paying their fair sgare..as usual! Giants squashing the little guys! Why shouldn't they check breaches of copyright?
Report InsiderTrader July 6, 2018 5:38 PM BST
When they were trying to do in article 13 was to make platforms check every thing everyone uploads for copyrighted materail.

The assumption is everything is copyrighted unless proved otherwise.

This would mean algorithms deciding.

And lets be honest they are terrible at picking out music from a car driving by or a picture in the background not being a breach of copyright. They will just stop everything. Got a picture of a film on the wall behind you as you do a comment on your vlog they might not allow you to post it etc.

It is just a way of controlling the internet. It would slow everything down.

There are so many cases already of companies claiming they own clips or image when they do not causing problems.
Report dave1357 July 6, 2018 7:23 PM BST
They voted against it, so we can applaud EU democracy and see what amendments are made,

btw Trump and pootin's fakenews has ruined the internet anyway, so you can blame them if it becomes more tightly controlled.
Report Ski-Wiz July 6, 2018 10:37 PM BST
Copyright laws, like intellectual patents, are special privilege given by government for the selected few. Does a worker who makes cars get a royalty every time one drives their car?
Report dave1357 July 7, 2018 12:51 PM BST
ski-wiz do you know what copyright and patents are?
Report InsiderTrader July 7, 2018 1:00 PM BST
dave1357
06 Jul 18 19:23
| Topic/replies: 7,778 | Blogger: dave1357's blog
They voted against it, so we can applaud EU democracy and see what amendments are made,

^

The MEPs after a lot of lobbying by private internet users voted to not rubber stamp the regulation immediately. With no action by individuals they are likely just to have put out the regulation. It will now be debated further in September.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now