Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
tanglefoot
02 Jul 18 20:24
| Topic/replies: 5,339 | Blogger: tanglefoot's blog
After the good back slapping Juncker gave May after the first part of the agreement,I think Mrs May thinks breakfast means breakfast
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Brexit means brexit
Show More
Report tony57 July 3, 2018 10:43 AM BST
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/982387/EU-planning-to-CUT-funding-to...
Report Wallflower July 3, 2018 11:17 PM BST
Boo-hoo, its proper order. The funding will go to other EU charities I presume, so good news for others.

We're leaving the EU. 

... European Medicines Agency leaves London
.... as does the European Banking Authority  --- and so they should.

.... we lose contracts for Gallileo project  ---  as per the rules we helped write!
.... may lose participation in Horizon 2020  ---  might let us in if we pay a premium

.....the same for Europol, Euratom  etc etc -  and the 40 other agencies. --- with insufficient ability to set-up equivalents in the timeframes

Our response - we are "outraged" !!!  And revert to whinging, "enhancing" further our national stereotype.

General attitude in European media is understandable weariness (other issues far more pressing), "just tell us what you want, we'll see what we can do within the rules (i.e. within the treaties 27 countries have agreed). Just stop f*ckin moaning and get on with it".

This headline yet another f*ckin' whinge.
Report lfc1971 July 4, 2018 8:04 AM BST
^ he’s whinging
Report lfc1971 July 4, 2018 8:23 AM BST
ps tell the European agencies to get a move on please and leave the UK , and the foreign fishing trawlers can leave UK waters as soon as possible also
Report mrtopnotch July 4, 2018 12:13 PM BST
Figures published by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) suggest Spain, Holland and non-EU state Iceland have already bought up almost 90 percent of the entire fishing quota of Wales, as well as more than half that assigned to England.
English POs belonged, in effect, to a single Dutch company. Another, the Fleetwood PO, is dominated by UK fishing companies controlled by Spanish interests
Report lfc1971 July 4, 2018 12:44 PM BST
more nonsense from topnotch ,  it will be illegal for French or Spanish or Dutch or trawlers from any other part of the EU to fish in British waters post Brexit  . And no foreigners employed on British  trawlers either, the EU will have to understand they are no longer welcome .
Report mrtopnotch July 4, 2018 12:56 PM BST
The British don't own (majority) the british trawlers and the british quotas - Foreign companies/countries own the majority.
The Armaven Uno, which belongs to Arzaven (UK), a company whose owners live in Spain. Fish caught in seas off the coast of Wales therefore ends up in Spain.
One Dutch ship,the Cornelis Vrolijk, operating from Hull, owns a fifth of England’s entire quota.

England and Wales have mismanaged their fishing quota and Brexit will do nothing to put it right.

Fishing taken together is 0.07% of GDP. Withinthat, capture/marine fisheries are 0.05% and aquaculture is 0.02% of total UK GDP - the government don't give a flying f8k about fishing.
Report lfc1971 July 4, 2018 1:00 PM BST
It doesn’t matter if fish caught off wales ends in Spain , it has to be sold somewhere
Report lfc1971 July 4, 2018 1:03 PM BST
You see there will be no Dutch or Spanish or French ships operating off the coast of Hull , and no Dutch or French or Spanish or any other EU nationals either
It will be British fishermen
Report lfc1971 July 4, 2018 1:04 PM BST
Have you a problem with that top notch ?
Report tony57 July 4, 2018 2:37 PM BST
https://capx.co/the-eu-is-storing-up-problems-for-the-future/
Report mrtopnotch July 4, 2018 4:57 PM BST
Four individuals in the Cabinet Brexit sub-committee, namely Theresa May, Boris Johnson, David Davies and Liam Fox, are so trapped in their rhetoric about taking back control and regaining freedom, that if they changed their position, their political careers would be over.

Looking again after a pause of some months at the white cliffs of Dover through my binoculars from over here on the continent I see this:

*Unilever moves its HQ to Rotterdam;
*Land Rover shifts investment to Slovakia;
*Airbus warns it may quit the UK;
*BMW (= Mini and Rolls Royce) says me too
*Honda (UK assembly plant their only one in the EU) says me too;
*Siemens say me too;
*-Her Majesty’s foreign secretary, Boris Johnson, says “f**k business”;
*City firms begin to migrate to Dublin, Frankfurt and Paris;
*The UK’s place in Galileo, crucial for the space industry and defence security is up in the air;
*Immigration from the EU has already greatly declined because of the ‘hostile environment’;
*Agriculture and construction sectors see labour shortages – Brits don’t like these jobs;
*The Prime Minister, incredibly, has repeated the lie over a Brexit dividend for the NHS;
*Meanwhile, the shortages of nurses and doctors from the EU in the NHS deepen;
*A proposed customs deal is so complex that I only recall its acronym C.R.A.P.;
*Young people massively don’t want to lose their rights in Europe;
*Only grandparents don’t get it. Leave they will fairly soon, leaving behind a sad mess;
*Boris Johnson (again) say the unsolved Northern Ireland border problem is exaggerated;
*The talk of free trade in the Anglosphere is sunk by Trump’s global protectionism;
*UK economy sinks to the bottom of G7 growth ranking.

Brexit becomes indeed before our very eyes the dreadful mistake many had suspected. ‘Project Fear’ was the slogan invented to test patriotic courage, and so to dismiss warnings. The warnings come true, thick and fast. Yet two years now after the referendum, the government still cannot agree on how far it does or does not want to quit the customs union and single market. Cabinet minister, Jeremy Hunt, says it is ‘wrong’ for businesses to ‘threaten’ the government, a vacuous reply to the reality that Brexit is threatening business.

Is the leadership of the country insanely incompetent, irresponsible and irrational? One might think so. But no, not entirely. It’s all very rational for a few. It’s just that four individuals in the Cabinet Brexit sub-committee, namely Theresa May, Boris Johnson, David Davies and Liam Fox, are so trapped in their rhetoric about taking back control and regaining freedom, that if they changed their position their political careers would be over. And the Tory party dare not throw them out because it might let in Labour.

How to get out of this farcical tragedy, when neither the prime minister, cabinet sub-committee, cabinet in plenary, nor parliament can rule sanely in the interests of the people? Only one way now. A second referendum, or ‘People’s Vote’ as it is now being proposed
Report Foinavon July 4, 2018 6:36 PM BST
Another C+P without reference to source

https://www.euractiv.com/section/uk-europe/opinion/brexit-are-they-insane/

One has to wonder if he can think for himself.
Report Foinavon July 4, 2018 7:05 PM BST
When I read the euractiv article (no need for binoculars) I see this.

Four individuals in the Cabinet Brexit sub-committee, namely Theresa May, Boris Johnson, David Davies and Liam Fox, are so trapped in their rhetoric about taking back control and regaining freedom, that if they changed their position, their political careers would be over, writes Michael Emerson.
Michael Emerson is associate Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS) in Brussels and a former EU ambassador to Moscow.
Looking again after a pause of some months at the white cliffs of Dover through my binoculars from over here on the continent I see this:

It looks like something important has been edited out. Now why would he do that?
Report tony57 July 4, 2018 7:44 PM BST
mrtopnotch
............FANTASY..i see ,my country ruled by the people who were born here, i see trade with the eu and the rest of the world, i see my country getting better off in the future and i see us saving billions not paying into the eu ....but i personally dont care if some companys leave the uk..as im certain others will take there place...
Report macarony July 4, 2018 7:44 PM BST
The devaluation of the pound as already offset any future tariffs and we get to stick tariffs on EU goods. Looking forward to Ford and co building cars here once again, how else will they get the big fleet contracts and access to the mobility allowence scheme? the two biggest buyers of cars in the UK
Report lfc1971 July 4, 2018 7:56 PM BST
Very good piece of detective work there from Foinavon

Don’t think we can trust that mr topnotch fellow , it’s a pity really does nothing for the remainers cause with that sort of devious behavior
Report Foinavon July 4, 2018 8:24 PM BST
I think some people just read what they want to see. It's called confirmation bias. It's important to read both sides of  an argument before coming to a conclusion. I'm sorry to be such a bully but nursey hasn't been round with the tranquillisers yet.
Report Wallflower July 4, 2018 9:47 PM BST
Topnotch may have plagiarised the list - should have quoted the source, but the more important matter is the list accurate? They all look as being recent news to me. But don't worry. Keep calm all you leavers and remainers alike.

It should be of comfort to business, the Irish, the anxious remainers, anxious leavers and others that the long awaited white paper is expected out of Chequers this Friday. I'm completely confident this will allay all fears any of them may have.

Frictionless trade, no Irish border, free to make trade deals, access to selected EU agencies, no A50 extension or further transition - It took May and her government some time (2 years) to balance these objectives, but ok, admittedly it was more complex than first thought. It will also give EU the direction they have been requesting.

I predict group hugs between combatants on the betfair politics forum by midweek next week.
Report bigpoppapump July 5, 2018 9:24 AM BST
list would have been longer if he'd waited a day: JLR the latest to issue a pretty concerning warning about their future.

Plain
Report mrtopnotch July 5, 2018 11:39 AM BST
Jaguar-Land Rover say that £80 billion UK investment and 300,000 jobs at risk if their is a hard Brexit as tariffs would cost it £1.2 billion a year.Financial Times.

But hey fishing rights and blue passportsWinkCrazy
Report mrtopnotch July 5, 2018 11:43 AM BST
European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker on Tuesday (3 July) said the EU stood firmly with Ireland in Brexit talks, just ahead of a crunch UK cabinet meeting which he said the bloc will follow closely.

Juncker addressed the European Parliament at the start of a crucial week for British Prime Minister Theresa May who will gather her divided ministers on Friday in her latest attempt to find a common position on the trade relations Britain wants with the EU after Brexit.

“We have been waiting for months for the White Paper of 10 Downing Street and we will analyse it on its merits,” Juncker said in French, referring to the May government’s expected proposal.

“But I want to say here that we will not accept the isolation of the Irish question so that it remains the only unresolved issue at the end of the negotiations,” he said.

“All of us, we are Irish,” concluded Juncker, this time speaking in English Laugh

Juncker’s comments reflected the EU’s refusal to advance on trade talks until a breakthrough is found on the stalled question of how to avoid border checks between British Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland after Brexit.

European Union president Donald Tusk also urged May to deliver when she assembles her warring ministers at her Chequers country retreat.

“We are now looking forward to the White Paper from the UK, and we very much hope that it will bring the necessary clarity, realism, and impetus to these negotiations,” Tusk told MEPs.

However, Tusk concurred with Juncker that this must come with a satisfying answer on Ireland as well.

“The sooner we get a precise UK proposal on the Irish border, the better the chance to finalise the Brexit negotiations this year,” he said.
In the buildup to her make-or-break cabinet meeting, the embattled Mrs May met on Tuesday with Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte, which will be followed by a meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Thursday.

Less than nine months before Britain leaves the EU in March 2019, the government has yet to set out exactly what it wants, and progress in the negotiations remains slow
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now