Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
macarony
19 Jun 18 21:04
| Topic/replies: 3,300 | Blogger: macarony's blog
Thought they were going it alone because of Brexit?
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View What Happened To London Independence
Show More
Report lfc1971 June 19, 2018 9:13 PM BST
They would end up eating each other
Report Shab June 19, 2018 9:20 PM BST
We could sell them water for whatever price we want to charge.
Report lfc1971 June 19, 2018 9:27 PM BST
When the Queen dies that would only make you sad afterwards, but then we can forget London exists
Report macarony June 20, 2018 4:22 AM BST
What is good for London is not necessarily good for the rest of the country and what's good for the rest of us is not good for London
Report melv June 20, 2018 5:31 AM BST
We are having BINO or some equally soft Brexit because all the wealth and power of this country is in London. And all the  capacity to implement Brexit is in London.

For the provinces to say they can make any decisions about the form Brexit takes is precisely the tinniest tail wagging the most massive dog. Most of the big cities are with London as well.

The political plan is to bore you lot into accepting this. The only shame is that our influence on Europe will be much less until we fully re join.

Just because the truth hurts does not make it any less the truth. Unsurprising innit so many Brexiteers admire "make your own truth up" Trump.
Report macarony June 20, 2018 1:25 PM BST
You are absolutely right that London has almost complete control over the rest of the country and London uses this power for its own end, the big question is why does the rest of us blindly go along with it?
Report lfc1971 June 20, 2018 1:27 PM BST
Do they , how does that work then ?
Report melv June 20, 2018 3:56 PM BST
You are absolutely right that London has almost complete control over the rest of the country and London uses this power for its own end, the big question is why does the rest of us blindly go along with it?

POWER That's your answer. London has been building itself up as a trading, financial, knowledge and political power base for centuries it also has a massive population. Its even bigger and more powerful when you realise that Oxford and Cambridge and their high tech industries are in the immediate arc of London's power base.

Thurrock, South Holland, Castle point, Boston and great Yarmouth cannot just go "Right lets be powerful then... Just like that" The tragedy of Cameron's power grab was that he gave all these places power. He gave them a Willie Wonka Golden get out of here free ticket. But there is zero real power to back up your golden ticket.

London and all the other powerful Remain areas with just bore you to sleep with all this booolucks. Until you just give up and let them have the form of Brexit they will have.

Which is highly likely to be Brexit In Name only.....BINO.
Report macarony June 20, 2018 4:13 PM BST
The new dawn of AI and renewable energy modern food growing technology will mean for the first time in human history we will no longer be dependent on each other. So why carry as now?
Report melv June 20, 2018 4:36 PM BST
Because you cannot just wish up "The new dawn of AI and renewable energy modern food growing tec" in Thurrock or were-ever. Never fear which ever way AI automation and the  rest goes places like London will have the cutting edge, economies of scale and many natural monopolies (like communications infrastructure, network relations with other power centres and pure brand name) they will be in control and they will suck in the Brightest and best.... even from Sunny Thurrock.
Report macarony June 20, 2018 7:13 PM BST
It's already happening allbeit on small scale, people living in communes on a few aceres of land are already becoming more and more self sufficient. They grow their own food generating their electricity and gas, even buying a couple of grandad worth of scrap metal and oold tech parts to manufacture then re-manufacture items of use.
Small scale now granted but in a bitter and failing society domenated by they political elite the appeal of leaving it all behind is growing stronger by the day.
Report melv June 21, 2018 3:06 AM BST
Hopefully the evolution of Hi tec, artificial indigence, automation and the rest will open up creative space for people to do all sorts of things. However history so far has  involved people moving into people moving to more and more cites and bigger and bigger cities with bigger and bigger  hinterlands. Also it is in the interest of those cities to make themselves more and more attractive places to be. Who ( If of course they want to live in a city) does not want to live in the most comfortable, healthy, educative, enjoyable and beautiful city in the world.

Don't get me wrong I love visiting London but I absolutely would not what to live there. Mind you when I lived in Manchester in the late 1980's I thought (in my innocence) I lived in the coolest place on the planet.

So yes the small scale "Good life" in enviable but I think billions of people will continue to gravitate to cites for quite a while yet.
Report melv June 21, 2018 3:09 AM BST
History so far has  involved people moving into more and more; bigger and bigger; cities with bigger and bigger  hinterlands
Report macarony June 21, 2018 4:33 AM BST
What happens when cities themselves then become self sufficient, the people living in them are not going to want another city of other type of body overseeing their affairs imposing taxes and writing and imposing their laws on them. The days of a capitol city or a distant and detached parliament or power base are numbered.
Report lfc1971 June 21, 2018 7:54 AM BST
macarony in Britain we have had almost the perfect combination of rural and small town and city life since at least the start of the industrial revolution,

It has been as close to perfect as possible.
Report lfc1971 June 21, 2018 8:04 AM BST
Its a balance needed between the local and the national, if things become too local then you find individual freedoms can be lessened..because of the power and influence of the busy bodies around you
They need to have their power constrained at times not strengthened
Report macarony June 21, 2018 1:46 PM BST
I disagree all we have had in Britain is a system where some people get rich and others get poor, where some people's opinions matter and others do not. Up until now we have need dependant on each other things like trade of goods or in today's world debt, but some people I intend to be one of them we now have the opportunity to do things a different way  thanks to advances in power production and AI. In my opinion the top down dog eat dog system of today as nothing to offer.
Report melv June 21, 2018 1:52 PM BST
What an interesting point Macarony.

What happens when cities themselves then become self sufficient, the people living in them are not going to want another city of other type of body overseeing their affairs imposing taxes and writing and imposing their laws on them.

Also if other people have made their own cities  comfortable, healthy, educative, enjoyable and beautiful.( what better things to do in a future of abundance and leisure) Why should they wish to rip off, exploit, invade or destroy other peoples cities.

Of course this is Utopia.

We obviously prefer to live in this dangerous, fearful, frightened, paranoid,ego tripping, superiority deluded, aggressive, domineering, greedy, resentful, war mongering hateful envious, impoverished, hungry, homeless, xenophobic wage slave world.
Report treetop June 21, 2018 2:50 PM BST
all we have had in Britain is a system where some people get rich and others get poor

I struggle to recall any country that doesn't end up this way mac,even communist countries end up like that with oligarchs and commissars being interchangeable. We can try and refine society but I fear it a utopian dream to change that easily.
Report macarony June 21, 2018 3:59 PM BST
treetop
21 Jun 18 14:50
| Topic/replies: 15,625 | Blogger: treetop's blog
all we have had in Britain is a system where some people get rich and others get poor

I struggle to recall any country that doesn't end up this way mac,even communist countries end up like that with oligarchs and commissars being interchangeable. We can try and refine society but I fear it a utopian dream to change that easily.

Thats the whole point up until now that was the way things have always been. but now there is the oppertunity for genuine change, I am not saying this is how we will all choose to live in the future, but for a growing number of people is goodbye to the old routine, of greed and domination.
I honestley think it just a matter of time before town or city of even a whole country goes self sufficient
Report melv June 21, 2018 4:31 PM BST
Thats the whole point up until now that was the way things have always been. but now there is the opportunity for genuine change,

Again well said Mac. I hope you know you are not the only one  to notice this. Many think we are not going through any old change like all the other changes that have happened throughout history. We are going through a phase change like no other.

Excited?

Or..... Oh no! we are not having that!!!!!!! the future will be much the same as it is right now!!!!!!. Rise! up rise up! and kick off!!!!!!!! to stop this change at all costs!!!!!!!!!."….
( preferably turn the clock back to the imperial 1950's) That's what the right will scream...... and all that will do is make the changes take longer and be more painful than they need be.

Open minded????????? watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQyr9l22fLE
Report lfc1971 June 21, 2018 9:51 PM BST
I don’t mind if some people in Britain become rich ,
and there are no poor people in Britain so that’s fine also
All in all we have a pretty good balance between the state and individual, as good as it has ever been or is ever  likely to be , be thankful
Report treetop June 22, 2018 7:02 PM BST
We could experience genuine change like Venezuela of course,it doesn't have to work out well just because we dream it so.
Report flushgordon1 June 23, 2018 9:54 PM BST
London is Finnish
Report moisok June 24, 2018 9:50 PM BST
itz akchewelly another color
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now