Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
melv
19 Jun 18 06:09
| Topic/replies: 6,288 | Blogger: melv's blog
Ring fence tax bonanza and savings on legal costs imprisonment etc for Police and NHS. Loads of investment opportunities. Of course legalise in tandem with massive public health advise.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Legalise Cannabis.
Show More
Report InsiderTrader June 19, 2018 8:30 AM BST
And watch the mental health of the country further decline.

https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvice/problemsanddisorders/cannabismentalhealthkey.aspx

We already have enough mental health problems with our youngsters.
Report DIE LINKE June 19, 2018 11:13 AM BST
The bonkers Brexiteers in the cabinet have certainly been smoking something strong!
Report donny osmond June 19, 2018 12:01 PM BST
brexit dividend
Report TheBetterBettor June 19, 2018 12:14 PM BST
We haven't got the NHS to cope with the tons of new psychotic referrals if legalisation got the go ahead.

So, not in my lifetime.
Report tony57 June 19, 2018 1:41 PM BST
the OP is correct, this should be legal, open shops like in portugal and holland tax the stuff, use it for health and education...the WAR ON DRUGS was lost many years ago, its been madness for many years to put people in prison because they take drugs ...yet legal drugs have done far more damage to society than any cannabis, herion, coke, etc...drink is the biggest evil..then tabacco....ahh..but why put more out there i hear you say?
the war is lost we need to eductae out children about what these drugs do..but realise that millions will fall to them..and we must have the resourses to help..that will be taxing the drugs...the evidence shows that after a initial increase in consumption..the numbers come down and less people take drugs in holland and portugal..the swiss have for years gave heroin to addicts, and gave them a clinic with a doc to go too to inject safely..it takes needles off the streets stops infections, and cuts crime...win win in my book..
Report melv June 19, 2018 5:12 PM BST
The conservative mentality of UK parents will be very difficult to shift. Even though keeping cannabis illegal is more dangerous to your child than making it illegal. The list of dangers is massive IMO  main one is the connection with organised crime. In the current systems your children will be exposed to professional criminals when getting there cannabis if that's what you prefer...…. keep it illegal.

If you think you can control or brainwash your children into never taking drugs then you are highly likely to get a big surprise one day. Also illegality is thrilling to young people as is the attraction of forbidden fruit. As Tony points out when drugs are legalised Consumption gores down.

Also the police think illegal cannabis is daft. Hopefully the conservative public will listen to the police.
Report Whisperingdeath June 19, 2018 5:59 PM BST
Riding a horse is more dangerous than smoking canabis..FACT!
Report melv June 19, 2018 6:18 PM BST
I would expect that many sports are more dangerous than smoking cannabis..... and it will be safer when legalised and "cool" kids will hanker for it less when its normalised and consumption will go down. Especially when the old folk start taking it (again) and the youngsters conclude that its as naff as sherry.

But no the great British  public prefer Billions to be spent playing cops and robbers ………...and losing.
Report Dr Crippen June 19, 2018 7:41 PM BST
The stink's enough to put most people throw up.
If you want to smell that sh!te everywhere you go you're welcome to it.

Keep it illegal and out of public places.

The reason we've lost the war on drugs is because we're too soft on users, the same as why we've lost the war on all crime except were PC is involved.
Say the wrong thing and they come down on you like a ton of bricks, do the same for drugs and we'd soon reduce usage.
Report Dr Crippen June 19, 2018 7:42 PM BST
Should be:

The stink's enough to make most people throw up.
Report akabula June 19, 2018 8:02 PM BST
melv thinks it'll be a tax bonanza. Laugh
The dearer it is the more the current suppliers will love it.
ie buy off the guy in the pub tax free.
Enough nutters in our midst without making it legal.
Report akabula June 19, 2018 8:04 PM BST
Was smoked almost openly in a club I used to go to.
I had a headache every time I was in, had to go elsewhere.
Report melv June 19, 2018 8:33 PM BST
Was smoked almost openly in a club I used to go to.
I had a headache every time I was in, had to go elsewhere.

Yep it will loose much of its attraction if legal. it easy to get fed up of it. It can certainly make a party very very very very very boring. So for any virgins on here.....it can be fun and you can get the giggles. It definitely intensifies musical enjoyment...and other things. It also aids creativity if you are creative. It is also easy to get fed up with and easy to stop using.

Oh come on you don't it will be worth dealers time selling ultra cheap cannabis. I do not see why it should be expensive, even with a tax. The govt would be insane to tax it so much that it makes widespread illegal  supply economically worthwhile. It grow as weeds in warm countries. Its not hard to produce.
Report InsiderTrader June 20, 2018 8:21 AM BST
Canada has gone through with this after the strange PM Trudeau allowed it.

His argument:

It’s been too easy for our kids to get marijuana - and for criminals to reap the profits. Today, we change that. Our plan to legalize & regulate marijuana just passed the Senate.

The legisation:

The minimum legal age to buy and consume marijuana has been set federally at 18, but some provinces have chosen to set it at 19.

Someone caught selling the drug to a minor could be jailed for up to 14 years.

One specific concern being raised is the legal minimum age being set at 18 instead of 25, as was recommended by the government's own task force.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44543286

^

So what is exactly going on? He is legalising it for adults because it is too easy for kids to get hold of it? He thinks allowing 4 plants per household and normalising it will make it harder for kids to get it?

The logic of Trudeau is very very strange.

The plan to control the population continues.....
Report donny osmond June 20, 2018 2:36 PM BST
if gangs aint making money selling it then kids have a more difficult job getting hold
of it

quite simple

if parents choose to give their kids drugs theres not too much anybody can do , other than shake head
Report InsiderTrader June 20, 2018 4:47 PM BST
So kids are more likely to be able to get hold of something if it is illegal for everyone?
Report donny osmond June 20, 2018 6:28 PM BST
more likely to get it from a non regulated supplier
Report melv June 20, 2018 6:59 PM BST
More likely to get it from a professional criminal, or gangster or at least some-one directly linked to organised crime.

Note the same can be said of the great and the good and the morlaising gentlefolk of the press in Lonodon who are curently snorting coke on an idustrial scale. A seperate issue. Though I bet many of the moralisers of the press are not averse to a toot or two.
Report Dr Crippen June 20, 2018 8:03 PM BST
I assume it's usually taken smoked in a cigarette mixed with tobacco?

So simply trying it out looks like an good way to get hooked on smoking.
Report enpassant June 21, 2018 9:06 AM BST
The idea that a terrible system should stay in place because the one proposed is not perfect is simply wrong.
The position is similar to that taken by some with regard to VAR in football and Reviews in cricket. They point to the one decision that was still questionable not the 99 that made right a wrong, as a justification to claim it doesn't work.
Report Dr Crippen June 21, 2018 10:51 AM BST
And replacing a poor system with one even worse simply to satisfy people with an agenda is anti-social.
Who wants to inhale stale cannabis smoke everywhere they go except the addicts themselves?

To legalise drugs would be to go further down the road we are already on. Which is that if we can't police the offence properly due to soft sentencing, then don't pursue it or ignore it which is the current policy of our ineffective police force.
Report Dr Crippen June 21, 2018 10:55 AM BST
Consider spending time on a beach on a calm day with a bunch of ''trendy'' yobs smoking cannabis all around you?
Or to go anywhere in public and have to inhale that stinking filth.
Report donny osmond June 21, 2018 1:22 PM BST
why not ban smoking  of all products in public spaces

give a bit, take a bit
Report Dr Crippen June 21, 2018 1:35 PM BST
That's how it's supposed to work now but they still do it.

Some People are prepared to take the risk with smoking in public at the moment.
But legalising weed would be opening the floodgates for a different kind of law breaker. Which is a drug addict high on narcotics with fewer inhibitions.
Report Dr Crippen June 21, 2018 1:36 PM BST
At the moment smoking in public is one thing, but smoking weed in public is another, and a step too far with drug addicts at the present.
Report macarony June 21, 2018 8:52 PM BST
Read a book recently that suggested the big pharmaceutical companies have a lot to lose if cannabis is used for medical purposes
Report TheGoldenVision June 22, 2018 11:00 PM BST
Only 3% of all burglaries are solved which means the war on theft is lost so we should legalise theft as well.

Madness.
Report melv June 23, 2018 3:07 AM BST
Madness.

You said it Golden one.

I am for legalising  and prescribing all drugs to addicts. That'll stop all crime that comes from addicts stealing to get money for a fix, stop gang violence and make life much harder for all organised crime which always flourishes during prohibition

What is with with you dinosaurs. APart from being less harmful than Alcohol and tobacco; cannabis is a medicinal herb and desperately needs research to make sure we are fully using all its benefits.

Same goes for psychedelic drugs. However I have always said that a large part of tax benefits should goes toward  help for addicts substance, abuse education and making licenced traders into an excellent service.
Report detraveller June 23, 2018 9:54 AM BST
That will only mean that I have to fund a dealer to become a drug addict and then it will be legal for me?
Report Dr Crippen June 23, 2018 11:30 AM BST
Melv is all over the place with his last post.

He says legalise all drugs, then compares cannabis with alcohol and tobacco, as if cannabis is the drug involved with addiction. 

What tax benefits is he on about?
It would cost more to pursue and collect any tax than they'd get out of it. Unless he foresees an explosion in drug use if it were legalised.
Report Dr Crippen June 23, 2018 11:33 AM BST
Although, those people who wouldn't touch drugs with a barge pole would be tempted to try them and become hooked, I'll give him that.
Report Whisperingdeath June 23, 2018 6:28 PM BST
Why would you try drugs because they are legal?!

FFS!

If people want to try drugs they will, illegal or not! Tax the fcekers, take the profit away from drug dealers. What is the problem? Some village idiot does not like the smell while he is standing at the bus stop? Who cares!
Report flushgordon1 June 23, 2018 9:08 PM BST
But the dealer's will just concentrate on selling it to younger children as evidence has shown.
Report flushgordon1 June 23, 2018 9:11 PM BST
So then do you increase the penalty for dealing, do you make it a capital offence. And if they can't sell hash there is an increase in the amount of coke/smack etc sold ,then the violence increases because it is the real whackos dealing that.
Report flushgordon1 June 23, 2018 9:13 PM BST
The problem with leftys are they are not problem solvers ,everything is the quick fix easy solution.
Report Whisperingdeath June 23, 2018 9:32 PM BST
flush

what an earth are you on about?

During prohibition in America did the Gangsters try and sell booze to kids?

The war on drugs has been lost!
Report flushgordon1 June 23, 2018 9:52 PM BST
That's a rather obtuse and irrelevant point to make ,considering the nuclear family and parental responsibility have been destroyed by liberal/ leftist pogroms.
Report akabula June 23, 2018 10:33 PM BST
During prohibition in America did the Gangsters try and sell booze to kids?

Struggling to see the point in this. During? Flush said that would happen if you made Cannabis legal.
Report Whisperingdeath June 24, 2018 11:28 AM BST
If people want a drink they drink. If they want drugs they take drugs so what is the point of making them prohibited?

You are just giving the criminals a market to operate in.

If drugs were legal tomorrow I wouldn't ( probably ) bovver. To start with I am drug tested at work. Cannabis stays in the system for possibly 3 months!

Would I take heroin? Would you just because it is legal? Would you take the Columbian Marching Powder...probably. Would I? ....No as I do not lack in confidence!WinkWink

Why is sugar allowed in so many processed foods? Why is it not banned? What about alocohol? How many alcohol related deaths and violence?

Legalise it and let the loser's take it. People on benefits should be tested. If they can afford drugs then they do not need benefits!
Report akabula June 24, 2018 8:06 PM BST
So you put Heroin and Sugar on a par with each other.
Don't think you'll win the debate with that approach.
Report Whisperingdeath June 25, 2018 6:11 PM BST
That's right, I won't because most people are stupid!

I just wonder how many deaths can be attributed to Heroin use and how many to eating too much added sugar in food, sweets and drinks!

Ever wondered why so many birds are miserable?.....because they are fat, FACT! Why because they eat too much added sugar and salt!

I might not win the debate with that approach but I will let Charles Darwin decide the issues involved. I just feel sorry for the honest people who's lives are blighted by drugs gangs and also I feel for fat people and unhealthy people who are being poisoned with too much sugar and salt in their foods!
Report lfc1971 June 25, 2018 6:44 PM BST
its not the individual, its what they might do to others
its too dangerous
Report lfc1971 June 25, 2018 6:57 PM BST
don't agree with workplaces being allowed to test employees,
its none of their business
Report akabula June 25, 2018 11:40 PM BST
Whisperingdeath
That's right, I won't because most people are stupid!

The big difference though WD, and I'm surprised that yu fail to acknowledge it, is that people who take too much sugar harm themselves whilst those on heroin tend to harm themselves and anyone they come into contact with.
Report Whisperingdeath June 26, 2018 12:00 AM BST
and your point is?

What about my points?
Report akabula June 26, 2018 12:07 AM BST
If you think it through you are actually arguing against yourself.
You bring up sugar and infer by your argument it should be banned yet want to legalise drugs.
Struggling to see your logic.
Report Dr Crippen June 26, 2018 10:54 AM BST
Let's compare sugar and salt with narcotics.

Sugar is a nutrient and occurs in many foods.

Salt is an essential mineral.

What nutritional or essential properties are there in mind altering addictive drugs taken for pleasure?

Where's the connection?
Report Foinavon June 26, 2018 4:38 PM BST
What is with with you dinosaurs. APart from being less harmful than Alcohol and tobacco; cannabis is a medicinal herb and desperately needs research to make sure we are fully using all its benefits.

Isn't this a case of conflating different things?
There are compounds in cannabis which induce a euphoric state and there are some which appear to have medicinal value, they are not necessarily the same thing. Medicinally beneficial compounds can be extracted and properly tested for safety and effectiveness, legalising a drug is a separate issue and needs to take into account many things including harmful effects on smokers and on the rest of society.
Report Whisperingdeath June 26, 2018 5:29 PM BST
The thing with sugar and salt is they are added to foods.

I haven't got a problem with people eating sugar or salt but it is being added to food for specific reasons. They are not allowed to add cocaine to snuff or cannabis to fairly cakes are they?

If you genuinely cannot see the dangers of added sugar and salt in foods and don't even start me on steroids in animals there is no conversation to be had here.

Good day!

p.s. just look at the amount of fatties that are around. God did not invent that, man did!
Report akabula June 26, 2018 6:50 PM BST
Everybody knows the dangers of too much salt and too much sugar in your diet but it is hardly a basis to legalise drugs.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now