Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
bongo
18 Dec 17 20:25
| Topic/replies: 5,966 | Blogger: bongo's blog
Back in 2013 they launched a suicide prevention strategy. ( http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2013/12/7616 ) Never mind that the numbers already seemed to be coming down of their own accord, perhaps because being friendly people they look out for each other, or the drop in joblessness, or the excellent work of philanthropic organisations like Samaritans.
Samaritans, friends and even your employer will pick up the phone during anti-social hours. Council workers hired under prevention strategies won't do this, but no matter, the rules of leftism must be followed and government must muscle in on programmes free people have got covered and take credit for any improvements that follow.

So today the ONS tells us about the UK as a whole:
"The fall in suicide rates from 2015 to 2016 is the largest decrease in 20 years"
And specifically about the 4 home nations:
"Compared with registration year 2015, the English rate has fallen a significant amount, the Welsh and Northern Ireland rates have both fallen slightly, and the Scottish rate has risen a small amount"

And how is the BBC reporting this : as a success for suicide prevention strategies. Well feck me.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View The SNP government will kill you with...
Show More
Report jollyswagman December 18, 2017 10:26 PM GMT
err have you actually read the scottish government report? they launched a suicide prevention strategy in 2002, the Choose Life strategy and
action plan which was ending its 10-year lifetime so in 2012 they set up a working group that resulted in this strategy for 2013 - 2016.

in 2014 the suicide rate in scotland, wales and northern ireland dropped but rose in england. in 2015 the suicide rate dropped in england and scotland but rose in wales and northern ireland. you ignored the data from these two years and instead focused on 2016 when it fell in england and wales but rose slightly in scotland. your inference that this policy has failed because of a rise in one year is based on ignoring the previous data that contradicts your views.

bearing in mind they started this work in 2002 i'd say that the ons numbers suggest scotland has done well in reducing their suicide rate, particularly for males. of course it is hard to identify causal relationships so judging the success or failure of the policies of the scottish government isnt easy. is there a peer reviewed academic study around that allows us to make hard conclusions one way or the other? one thing i am sure of though is that to choose just one year's data to try and make an ideological point is bs of the highest order. 

if only i had political dogma on my side it makes looking at complex problems so much easier Laugh
Report bongo December 19, 2017 7:27 PM GMT
Well I certainly agree an evaluation is in order. Some mathematician needs to tease out the effect of government interventions compared to regions that didn't spend money on suicide prevention and take into account many of the other changes in society since 2002 which may have contributed.
So what do we have: from the SNP Minister herself
"No formal evaluation has been made of the “Suicide Prevention Strategy 2013-2016”. " ( . https://www.theyworkforyou.com/sp/?id=2017-03-02.2.0 )

And how does leftism perceive the changes - as a success for those suicide prevention strategies that haven't been evaluated.

And this is the issue - if the market part of the economy wants to do something, such as develop a drug or frack for energy, they are exposed to cost-benefit analysis. If the government want to spend your money they collect from you under threat of taking you to court, no such analysis is required.
Don't credit the people, always credit the government.
We've seen this with the people claiming the smoking ban has made us healthier - all of it debunked - but it doesn't stop the leftists. It's carry on spending until the money runs out.
Report telepathic December 20, 2017 11:31 AM GMT
Well after that I will just settle back for my afternoon snooze ....... yaaaaaaaaaawnn.

No sleeping pills necessary.
Report trilby22 December 20, 2017 11:50 AM GMT
Lol, too intellectual for you Telly?
Report telepathic December 20, 2017 4:15 PM GMT
Trilby
If intellectual activity in your brain was dynamite you couldn't blow your trilby off.Cool
Report trilby22 December 20, 2017 5:52 PM GMT
Well, at least you have a sense of humour Grin
Report fool proof December 20, 2017 7:09 PM GMT
Wild animals in travelling circuses banned in Scotland

Environment Secretary Roseanna Cunningham said the move would send a message to the world that Scotland does not condone the misuse of wild animals.

There are not currently any travelling circuses based in Scotland which use wild animals.

You got to love this SNP "government"
Report trilby22 December 21, 2017 8:20 AM GMT
Now they're trying to nationalise the Clyde & West coast ferry services via the back door & their Ministry of Funny Handshakes.
Report lovegod December 21, 2017 8:31 AM GMT
Misuse of wild animals? Surely loads of grouse get misused on the glorious 12th?
Report Meadow X1 December 21, 2017 9:35 AM GMT
If they are travelling circuses where are they likely to be based?
Report telepathic December 21, 2017 11:02 AM GMT
Has it not occurred to you Foolproof that this might be a preventative action, not one which currently applies.

Trilby considering the amount of subsidy the ferries receive from the government they would be as well in public ownership and control.

Meadow your question begs the answer....Westminster debating chamber, have you seen PMQs lately.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now