Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Early Morning Riser
07 Apr 11 09:09
| Topic/replies: 7,517 | Blogger: Early Morning Riser's blog
Migrants to get free driving lessons

Asylum seekers and the unemployed are being offered free driving lessons and tests in an effort to help them to find work.

The only qualification for the experimental scheme in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, is that they must prove they are receiving benefits.

Once accepted, participants get a £360 package that includes 15 hours of lessons and free entry for both the theory and practical tests. An interpreter will be provided for those who do not speak English.

The scheme, called the School of Knowledge and Instruction of Driving Skills (Skids), is expected to cost £140,000 over the next three years and the organisers hope to cover most of the cost with a National Lottery grant.

Keith Bush, 57, a co-founder of the project, said: "Yarmouth is a deprived area and, when someone is living on benefits, their priorities are often very different to the priorities of employed people.

"Driving is expensive and people on low incomes who cannot drive find it difficult to find work.

"It can affect their social lives too, especially if they live in outlying villages where public transport is irregular.

"Skids is there to help people get a new skill, gain confidence and re-enter the mainstream and get work.

"We want to be inclusive to everyone, including asylum seekers and immigrants."

its been such a success that its going nationwide soon at a job centre near you. i have heard that  loads of unemployed single mothers are going for it. mind you they dont want to work but it will come in handy for them to take their kids to the seaside at school holiday time while their live in lovers are at work.   they cant thank ian duncan smith enough from wot i'm hearing.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View free driving lessons for the unemployed
Show More
Report blackburn1 April 7, 2011 10:11 AM BST
I've got my fingers crossed this is a windup
Report Early Morning Riser April 7, 2011 10:16 AM BST
no its true blackburn. the above scheme has been going on for a few years, but the scheme was such a success that its going nationwide.

just google  free driving lessons to get the unemployed to work
Report Early Morning Riser April 7, 2011 10:22 AM BST
daughter told me that all the single mothers in my village are talking about it when they are picking their kids up from school, thats why i had to google it to see if its true,
Report Randle April 7, 2011 10:27 AM BST
big waste of money

give them a sustainable job paying a decent wage, not free fooking driving lessons

most of them will probably fail it anyway
Report blackburn1 April 7, 2011 10:32 AM BST
Why do you want to give migrants a job?

We've got plenty looking for a job already
Report Dr Crippen April 7, 2011 10:46 AM BST
An interpreter will be provided for those who do not speak English.

If having a licence to drive will help them get a job. Shouldn't they learn to speak English first?

Free houses free council tax, free money, and now free driving lessons.
It’s a hard life being on the dole.

It’s even harder if you’re working.
Report Doob April 7, 2011 11:13 AM BST
But this is copied and pasted from the Daily Telegraph - Dated 04/12/2004.
Who says it is going Nationwide soon?
Report Early Morning Riser April 7, 2011 11:19 AM BST
well my daughter heard them single mothers outside school talking about it while waiting for their kids. my daughter said some have been to the job centre and have been offered them.  when she told me i didnt believe it so i googled it, so it seems its true wot they are saying
Report Dr Crippen April 7, 2011 11:23 AM BST
Today's Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1478175/Migrants-to-get-free-driving-lessons.html
Report Doob April 7, 2011 11:24 AM BST
It's not today Laugh Look at the date on the link you posted!
Report Early Morning Riser April 7, 2011 11:28 AM BST
Unemployed people in Norwich can now access free driving lessons and tests to help them back into work.

Around 75 unemployed men and women have already passed their driving tests through A4e's Transporting Lives programme. A4e, who are based at Castle Meadow, have now been awarded extra funding to continue the programme.

Kate Levine from A4e said: “The funding is worth nearly £1,000 for each client, through free driving lessons and tests.

“It's a great opportunity for unemployed people, and we have already helped change people's lives. It builds people's confidence, and alongside the driving we also provide job search support including help with CVs and interviews.'

Paul Tyrrell, 33, was self-employed as a painter/decorator but he's been out of work for over 6 years because hasn't got a driving licence.

Paul has joined Transporting Lives and said:

“I can now get my licence for free and hopefully get more work as a result. It's pretty tough out there right now and I need all the help I can get.”

The programme is part of the Go For It! Enterprising Norwich campaign, funded by the Local Enterprise Growth Initiative programme (LEGI), run by Norwich City Council. The programme aims to boost local enterprise, local incomes and local employment opportunities in the city.

seems to be a lot of areas doing it
Report Randle April 7, 2011 11:29 AM BST
How do I qualify for Free Lessons

Criteria for Free Driving Lessons

*  Complete our 2-week Gateway to Work course
    * Start full time employment (30+hrs) within 6 weeks of completing the Gateway to Work course
    * Remain in full time employment for 13 weeks
    * Hold a provisional driving lessons, free from endorsements

If all of the above criteria are met then you will be entitled to 10 free driving lessons ( 1 per week)
Report Doob April 7, 2011 11:32 AM BST
Well done you have found other examples but ...

1. It's not migrants
2. It is not due to go nationwide at a job centre near you
Report Early Morning Riser April 7, 2011 11:32 AM BST
unemployed people can learn to drive for nothing under a new scheme in Tuebrook.

Driving lessons are available to anyone out of work for more than 26 weeks who has been referred by the JobCentre Jobcentre or job centre
Noun

(in Britain) a government office where advertisements of available jobs are displayed

Noun 1.
..... Click the link for more information..

Lone parents and the disabled on New Deal schemes are also eligible.

Margaret Power Margaret Power is a fictional character in the Marvel Universe.

She is the wife of Dr. James Power, and with him the mother of Alex, Julie, Jack, and Katie Power, members of Power Pack.  from the North Liverpool Programme Centre said: "Our mission is to improve people's employability; we want to let everyone know we're here and what brilliant facilities we have."

Although staff are very positive, the reaction from driving instructors in the area has been mixed.

Mike Bolton, 43, who runs the Driving Skills Centre in nearby Edge Grove Edge Grove is a prep school, in Aldenham in Hertfordshire, England. The school takes boys and girls aged between three and 13 years. Like many schools founded in the first half of the 20th century, it began with the military model: single-sex, spartan dormitories, mostly boarding, , said: "It's a good idea, a really good opportunity to get a very useful skill."

But Brian Bridger, 50, of V & B School of Motoring, said: "I'd be worried that some people are just getting a driving licence for free with no intention of getting a job.

If they're still unemployed in 6-12 months, I think they should pay the money back for the lessons."

Ray Corrie, 51, from Corrie School of Motoring, added: "I don't mind fair competition but I'm trying to operate a business in an already tight market."

More than 400 people have used the north Liverpool centre to search for jobs since it opened last August and around 100 regularly use it as a drop-in centre.
Report Early Morning Riser April 7, 2011 11:37 AM BST
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamoanium View Post
Hi Doolox,

I was interested to see you say that FAS help with getting a Driving Licence?

Is this correct? How exactly does that work?

Thanks.
You can get Fas or the Dole office to pay for driving lessons if you have been on the dole for a long time they have offering me free driving lessons for months but I'm not interested in driving

this is from a message board dated 2008, so this looks likely that its nationwide
Report Early Morning Riser April 7, 2011 11:56 AM BST
Job seekers are dressed for success

By ryoule

NORMAN Tebbit famously declared that his unemployed father got on his bike and looked for work until he found it.

The plain-speaking Tory didn't go into detail about his dad's bike, but you can imagine a no-frills model clocking up the miles the during the 1930s depression era.

Comparisons have been made between those blighted pre-war years and the pressures facing our economy today, with Welsh jobs very much in the firing line. But at least nowadays there's a chance your local job centre might pay for your bike.

Over the past two years, Swansea's Jobcentre Plus has bought mountain bikes for a number of unemployed people, as long as they can demonstrate there's a job waiting for them and that they need transport.
Stay one step ahead of the weather

It might all sound a bit flippant, considering the crushing blow of losing a job and the depressing search for a new one, but it's just one of several incentives to help people get back to work.

Swansea Jobcentre Plus personal adviser Richard, who wasn't allowed to give his surname, explained how the job centre has paid for new security and food hygiene certificates, clothes, bus passes, driving lessons, road tax, training courses and new £99 certified construction cards — without which labourers and tradesmen can't even go onto a building site looking for work.

A while ago, one woman was even bought a massage table and oils when she needed help to become a self-employed masseuse.

Richard was at pains to stress that each request for financial support was carefully looked at.

"It's not just carte blanche — it's all within reason," he said.

"And the free driving lessons have been stopped, as some people were taking 20 lessons but getting nowhere."

But the philosophy is simple: give people a boost to get back into work and you'll save the tax-payer in the long-term.

There are other incentives, too. If you find work you're eligible for a £100 payment to tide you over once you stop claiming Jobseeker's Allowance, which is £47.95 a week for 16-24-year-olds and £60.50 if you're 25-plus.

You may also be entitled to a free month's council tax and housing benefit once you start a new job.

"People are really positive about that," said Richard. "They say it's a big worry off their minds."

In the last few weeks, Swansea and Derby job centres have been piloting a new scheme to offer these kinds of incentives as soon as people walk through the door. In the past, they had to wait for months.

Richard said: "I say to clients, 'If there's anything we can do remove any barriers, just ask. But I can't promise the earth.'"

But he repeated that the onus is on the clients to prove the need for what they request.

Richard also said work trials delivered results. The scheme places job seekers with companies for a maximum of 15 days.

"I have had massive success with the work trial scheme," said Richard, aged 33. "It is unpaid work, but it gives the client and the employer a chance to suss each other out.

"I'm responsible for going out to see employers — and none of them have said 'no'. They have nothing to lose."

Richard said that out of 15 job seekers he had organised work trials for since April, eight or nine had secured jobs. And he insisted the job centre wouldn't use companies who took advantage of the scheme.

Swansea's Jobcentre Plus said it had found work for all the workers left jobless when travel firm XL Leisure collapsed in September. A jobs fair takes place at the job centre on Saturday, January 31, with over 100 call centre positions up for grabs.

There are currently 3,700 jobs available in the Swansea area, although clearly some — perhaps many — will not be particularly attractive.

Edward Jones, of Townhill, and Adam Henderson, of Brynmill, were among those trawling through the various jobs on offer on Monday.

Edward, aged 28, said it had taken some persuading to get the job centre to fund a telescopic handler licence (for machines like fork-lift trucks), and that it was "murder" trying to find construction work at the moment.

But with Christmas just around the corner, he was determined to keep hunting. "I receive benefit, but I'd rather not be — and you don't get paid extra for the anxiety," he said.

Twenty-year-old Adam, a drummer with a band called Storm the Walls, said he'd been made redundant by Virgin Media around a month ago.

"I'm looking for care or social work — something a bit more rewarding," he said. "It's not a good time to get laid off."

must have started back up in s wales
Report acklash April 7, 2011 12:20 PM BST
I dont fink the E-ternaltwit-er, could afford a litre of of tap water, never mind petrol.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now