Forums

Mixed Martial Arts

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
razz
03 Jun 18 11:44
| Topic/replies: 6,923 | Blogger: razz's blog

UFC 225 PPV Main Event:

185 lbs.: UFC Middleweight Champion Robert Whittaker vs. Yoel Romero

UFC 225 PPV Main Card (10 p.m. ET):

170 lbs.: Colby Covington vs. Rafael dos Anjos for interim welterweight title
145 lbs.: Megan Anderson vs. Holly Holm
265 lbs.: Andrei Arlovski vs. Tai Tuivasa
170 lbs.: CM Punk vs. Mike Jackson

UFC 225 Prelims On FOX Sports 1 (8 p.m. ET):

265 lbs.: Curtis Blaydes vs. Alistair Overeem
115 lbs.: Carla Esparza vs. Claudia Gadelha
145 lbs.: Mirsad Bektic vs. Ricardo Lamas
265 lbs.: Rashad Coulter vs. Chris De La Rocha

UFC 225 Prelims On Fight Pass (6 p.m. ET):

205 lbs.: Rashad Evans vs. Anthony Smith
125 lbs.: Joseph Benavidez vs. Sergio Pettis
155 lbs.: Clay Guida vs. Charles Oliveira
145 lbs.: Dan Ige vs. Mike Santiago

I'm not hating on this rematch, 2 of the best middleweights of all time right here. whittaker coming of severe illness, bad staph infection, really bad chicken pox, hamstring injury all on top of his knee operation that he injured in the 1st round of the first fight. must of been very challenging to recover from all that. Fully expect whittaker to win if he looks good early and is not hampered by these setbacks. yoel is still extremely dangerous ofc but I wonder how he will improve on his gameplan after the first fight, it will be very difficult for him to improve at his age. cardio will not be as good being 1 year older and that is a very important part of his style. iirc he had a lot less output vs rockhold exploding less but still with the same ferocity power and speed. I think due to his cardio issues he's going to be looking for 1 or 2 big shots each round and maybe mix a takedown in to try and steal rounds. whittaker needs to pressure and make romero work from the start. the more grappling there is the worse it could be for yoel if whittaker is indeed fully recovered. It's incredible yoel is able to perform at this level at his age I think he might be the best athlete we've ever seen in the ufc. certainly up there. the joe rogan podcast he did was very good, and incredible insight into the brutal nature of his training regimen in cuba since a young age
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View UFC 225 Whittaker vs Romero II
Show More
Report razz June 3, 2018 11:57 AM BST
im liking tuivasa as a bet. his KO line will hopefully be decent. arlovski could get ko'd by a paper bag at this point as awesome as he is.
interested in overeem too but very risky as his chin might be worse than arlovski's but he could very well negate blaydes takedowns and obviously is MUCH more skilled on the feet, and should have a speed advantage also. no bet though before tape for that one.

Holly Holm welcomes megan anderson to the ufc in what on paper should be an easy win for holly, megan does have good striking but it's exaggerated by her very unusual frame. I think she has the longest reach in all of WMMA, but on the other side she lost to cindy dandois... and has been inactive for a while now. she apparently had visa issues but who knows. she did duck cyborg unlike holly who did very well compared to everyone else cyborg has fought. holly displayed an excellant chin and her technical counters, good conditioning and heart. not super tempted by 1.4 but I took her at 1.5+ main worries are her age, how she looks after the damage she took from cyborg, mentally if she is still 100% (she should be with her experience). I see this being almost exclusively a kickboxing match that goes to decision. anderson will have more pressure on her imo.

interested in guida-olivera, bektic-lamas, smith-evans also. definitely want to fade rashad but not sure how yet.
Report razz June 5, 2018 12:44 AM BST
outside of a huge KO early(which doesn't seem that likely considering the lack of success yoel had striking overall) yoel is going to need to wrestle and control whittaker in the clinch or on the ground for sustained periods of time. that's going to be very taxing on his cardio and like his striking I have a hard time seeing how he is going to improve the success he had with it. whittaker jumped straight back up every time yoel got him down, and demonstrated great counter wrestling. whittaker's going to look to work yoel's body again but I'm thinking he should be able to utilize his punches a lot more this game as it seemed like he didn't want to throw too many punches of that damaged leg, he just threw the leg instead haha, landing a LOT of front kicks to the body and keeping yoel at range where he could exploit and defend yoel's blitzes from distance once he started to slow and telegraph them. I think whittaker may look to land that beautiful head kick he loves catching yoel as he's moving backwards.
Report razz June 5, 2018 12:46 AM BST
may have to play mike jackson against cm punk too, just small bets but punk is simply not a fighter and he's 40 years old, looks horrendous in his training footage. jackson has ok boxing for mma standards but obviously his ground game and tdd is a big question. but common it's cm punk... jackson ko prop could be worth a stab.
Report razz June 9, 2018 8:36 AM BST
romero misses weight by 0.2lbs. the commission stop him cutting anymore and give no reason why. a doctor with yoel was letting him continue and his team said they were maybe 5-10 minutes away from making the weight.

video of romero barely able to walk after the failed attempt.
https://twitter.com/MMAjunkie/status/1005150686386896896

the guy looks emotionally drained at the ceremonial weigh ins. got to be hard on a 41 year old to cut that much. whittaker must be confident af right now.
Report Biscar Two from a mile back June 9, 2018 12:52 PM BST
I love the ufc but the weigh ins are pi55ing me off. The fight should be the sole attraction instead these days its two events in one, the weigh ins and then the fight.
Report razz June 10, 2018 3:36 AM BST
cm punk just got dominated. jackson bet on himself by decision im sure lol
Report razz June 10, 2018 3:38 AM BST
punk did much better than expected tbf, tough guy, respect.
Report sofaking June 10, 2018 4:45 AM BST
Holly's a beast.
Report sofaking June 10, 2018 4:46 AM BST
That Jackson dude will get mauled by any decent fighter in his division.
Report sofaking June 10, 2018 4:47 AM BST
Joe it's Megan. Not Meeeegan.
Report razz June 10, 2018 5:50 AM BST
lol, yeah holm is legit. very skilled.
Report razz June 10, 2018 5:51 AM BST
whittaker about to kick some ass
Report sofaking June 10, 2018 6:07 AM BST
Romero gassed himself out.
Report sofaking June 10, 2018 6:08 AM BST
what a battle eh.
Report sofaking June 10, 2018 6:09 AM BST
What were the pre fight odds here?
Report razz June 10, 2018 6:10 AM BST
craziness
Report razz June 10, 2018 6:11 AM BST
1.4 whittaker at the off
Report razz June 10, 2018 6:12 AM BST
1.5 at the start of the event
Report sofaking June 10, 2018 6:13 AM BST
Whoa, short.
Report sofaking June 10, 2018 6:13 AM BST
in hindsight. Tongue Out
Report razz June 10, 2018 6:14 AM BST
with the way whittaker won the 1st fight and the missed weight cut it makes sense
Report sofaking June 10, 2018 6:16 AM BST
In the bag for Whittaker.
Report razz June 10, 2018 6:16 AM BST
yoel out of gas
Report razz June 10, 2018 6:17 AM BST
just needs to watch for 1 or 2 more big explosions
Report sofaking June 10, 2018 6:17 AM BST
Romero has nothing left.
Report razz June 10, 2018 6:19 AM BST
jesus yoel caught him again
Report sofaking June 10, 2018 6:20 AM BST
uh oh
Report sofaking June 10, 2018 6:21 AM BST
DDT
Report sofaking June 10, 2018 6:22 AM BST
or was it a piledriver.
Report sofaking June 10, 2018 6:24 AM BST
Whittaker decision me thinks.
Report sofaking June 10, 2018 6:27 AM BST
oh,  very ****g close.
Report razz June 10, 2018 6:27 AM BST
my heart can't take this **** lol, i thought it was a draw
Report sofaking June 10, 2018 6:31 AM BST
oooh sour grapes.
Report razz June 10, 2018 6:31 AM BST
romero is a savage, taking over the mantle from dan henderson and randy couture as the most bad-ass fighter over 40
Report razz June 10, 2018 6:34 AM BST
can see why he thinks he won for sure. he hurt whittaker real bad multiple times. whittaker clearly won 3 rounds though. I thought rnd 5 was a 10-8 easily though judges are ****
Report razz June 10, 2018 6:34 AM BST
I got 180 for a couple quid on the draw on here too lol
Report sofaking June 10, 2018 6:35 AM BST
True,  Romero is a beast.  He did deserve a draw.
Report razz June 11, 2018 1:49 AM BST
damn, whittaker fought most of the fight without his left hand, makes sense when he wasn't defending with it.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Robert-Whittakers-Team-Releases-XRay-of-Bro...
Report Afc888 June 12, 2018 9:30 AM BST
Two true animals. Great fight and a lot of respect to both as that was as good of a fight you'll ever see.
Report razz June 13, 2018 12:28 PM BST
romero's going to sue the athletic commission lol
Report Afc888 June 13, 2018 10:52 PM BST
Not to sure how successful that's going to be for him. What do you think? Seems a little strange lol.
Report razz June 14, 2018 11:03 AM BST
no idea, he has a case though. he lost the chance to fight for the belt and quite a big loss of wages. whittaker gets like 25% of his purse and he wasn't eligible for the 50k fight of the night bonus that the fight got so whittaker got all of it. at least they should get an explanation from the commission.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now