Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Kelly
24 Jun 18 11:45
| Topic/replies: 7,115 | Blogger: Kelly's blog
Breath of fresh air , and currently the only potential challenge to the Dubs .  Strength in depth too with the influx of the minor talent which has been flourishing for the last 4 or more years in the deep south .

As long as they don't allow Mickeys system football to contaminate them they could light up the football scene for a while ( and God knows it has needed lightening up ) .

And Cork are not that bad a team , performance ruined by incorrect black card ( by the Down referee) for one of their best forwards .
Share |
Show More
Report peckerdunne June 24, 2018 12:46 PM BST
And Cork are not a good team indeed, whilst the Kerry lads are a couple of years away from

Dublin, but will be the one's.
Report Kelly June 24, 2018 12:58 PM BST
Dubs vs Kerry would be an ideal final lineup based on what I have seen so far this year .  Not sure what way draw works out , but hope it happens .
Report Vubiant June 24, 2018 1:31 PM BST
What has gone so wrong with Cork football - it seems to have crumbled away to nothing in a relatively short time.
Report Kelly June 24, 2018 7:34 PM BST
Cork people are more interested in hurling than football generally .  Given the way football has gone recently I have sympathy with that view , but the effort in being a "dual purpose GAA county" at top level is hard to sustain . And asking players to play football and hurling at top level just does not compute these days .  In olden days many of Cork's best footballers and hurlers were "dual purpose" , don't think many could do that now .

Kerry made Cork look very pedestrian after a swift Cork start , but I suspect Kerry would have had the same effect on all current teams , Dublin excepted .
Report Kelly June 24, 2018 7:47 PM BST
Vubiant , you could ask what has gone wrong with Down football in the last 20 years , there is no easy answer . The amazing thing about Kerry is where do they get so many good footballers from a county with a population comparable to  one small Dublin suburb .
Report Kelly June 24, 2018 7:48 PM BST
Or Meath football .
Report Vubiant June 24, 2018 9:44 PM BST
Kelly -I appreciate the point you make about hurling being more dominant in Cork. However as far as I know -hurling is mainly present in the city ,east and north of the county. From the western suburbs all the way to Castletownbeare it's all football -or used to be.
West Cork and Kerry are basically a continuum -why should  there be a wealth of talent on one side and a dearth on the other ? Is it to do with the schools , the coaching  -or competition from other sports ? Rugby might be making some inroads ( and even rowing around Skibbereen ? Grin)
Cork used to be able to muster a team that could at least be competitive against Kerry but now the contests are an embarrassing mismatch.
Leinster and Munster are now one horse races , Connacht is more or less Mayo and Galway  and Ulster is Tyrone and Donegal with an odd thrust from Monaghan.
The All-Ireland SFC is now effectively a 6 team competition -if that! Strange how it's worked out.
Report Kelly June 25, 2018 2:13 AM BST
Vubiant , not familiar with the set up in Cork , so can only offer generalities based on personal experience . From my own county , Down,  any time we managed to get a good potential winning county team  it was usually the result of a 5-10 year build up . That involved the elements you mention , viz schools initially , good under age set up using experienced selectors and sympathetic management of young players , and support from county board when needed . Competition from other sports was not a big factor up north here , not certainly in the past , but might be changed now .Cuts both ways that now , my wifes grand nephew is excellent at soccer and gaelic , representationally . But on one occasion last year his ( top locally ) soccer club had to postpone a fixture because nearly half their players were playing a gaelic match that evening .

We reckoned if we advanced 2 players per year from under 16 through to being an effective senior county player the future was fairly secure .  Occasionally in the good years ( generally following  successful minor campaigns as in 1986 and 1987) you got 4 or 5 together and that made it easier for those to integrate with the more experienced hands . You need a supply of fresh blood on tap , concentrates the mind .

Not involved myself with any coaching , but I do have reservations about some of the procedures I hear about now . One very successful underage club team ( Ulster champions)  I am familiar with - 2 of my grand children play on it- are expected to turn up 45 minutes before each match for training/ warm up / whatever . Overkill I reckon , particularly as county and development squads also want their pound of flesh from those players . When I was 16 / 17 my main interest was in playing and developing skills , not about being super fit and being able to run forever around cones .

Have gut feeling the schools may be the most important factor . Certainly nearly all our best teams had huge input developmentally from school and (increasingly recently) university influences.

Talent does not grow on trees though , reckon our players currently are not at the standard needed to make an impact at championship level .  Tyrone have a huge investment in developing players from grass roots upwards , but they have run out of game winners  , maybe its all cyclical .
Report peckerdunne June 25, 2018 12:14 PM BST
It takes a lot longer to coach hurling.

Often it has not been flavour of the month.

Cork has as stated been a very strong dual player county more so than any other.

It's a combination of many factors but one that needs more investment in different forms.

Hurling is facing a boom and it will become the dominant force in Cork once again, as is it's

tradition i believe.

Hurling may not have the gate receipts yet but does have the global capacity throwball hasn't.
Report peckerdunne June 25, 2018 12:19 PM BST
Schools are vital and the talent pool of good coaches MUST be present from an early age.

Having structures and plans, objectives, understanding preparation mental awareness

Ok i bet not get started.......Grin
Report peckerdunne June 25, 2018 12:21 PM BST
best*
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now