Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Kelly
21 May 18 02:16
| Topic/replies: 7,081 | Blogger: Kelly's blog
Generally the weekend  hurling matches were great to watch , no end of skill and sporting prowess . Most matches in doubt up to the last 10 minutes , which means the  fans got their moneys worth .

Tyrone  / Monaghan while technically  decent ,  was possession football throughout brightened up mainly by McManus near the end , some unbelievable scores . Monaghan were good , Tyrone a team firing on 3 cylinders . But for the neutral supporter it an exercise in keeping possession and generally unattractive .  Armagh were terrible , not to take away from Fermanagh who were well prepared for the occasion . A team who only score 7 times in 70 minutes when it is so easy to earn frees are not worth paying to see .

The football  pundits on the Sunday game  , Spillane and Whelan , rightly condemned the type of football on offer but offered no solution to improve things .  Amazing when it is staring them in the face , limit the hand pass and thereby cut out largely the possession football .  Hurling is so good because there is no point in playing possession and the overwhelming objective is to score freely ( and more than your opponent) .
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Great hurling , puke football .
Show More
Report dj876 May 21, 2018 7:13 AM BST
Tipp/Lim was atrocious for a Munster Championship game.It lacked any real intensity and was similar to a league game.

It seems they're attempting to stretch the hurling championship for revenue purposes but the reality is the further you move from knock out the more you dilute the quality.
Report Kelly May 21, 2018 9:16 AM BST
The more matches the weaker hurling counties get the more chance there is of them improving.  In that respect the revised format could prove beneficial . Knockout intensity is always better than league, but they will get to knockout stages eventually .Tipp were disappointing given their status , interesting to see if they can up their game in summertime .
Report Cherrykino May 21, 2018 6:06 PM BST
Tipp/Limerick was chronic.
Report Kelly May 21, 2018 8:15 PM BST
Tipp and Limerick were nip and tuck until last 10 minutes , having been level at half time and the scores being level 7 times during the match . Tipp supporters may have gone away disappointed , but I bet you the Limerick supporters went home happy .

Cork /Clare was a much higher scoring match , which pleases the fans , particularly given some of the long distance scores recorded .
Report frank60 May 22, 2018 8:36 PM BST
I thought the game was  enjoyable , sure there was mistakes from both sides but for an early championship game it keep the interest up to the end.
Report G Hall May 24, 2018 10:19 AM BST
Football is a much better game end of.
Report peckerdunne May 24, 2018 12:58 PM BST
A 5 year old can kick a football.
Report frank60 May 25, 2018 1:06 PM BST
Interesting to note Pecker when Sky Sports do the G.A.A games [ which goes out to many countries] Hurling came out on top by some way . as a Dub i would love Dublin to win the  Liam MacCarthy Cup but i fear time is running for me.  Dublin last won the hurling back in 1938 , i was in Croke Park when Tipp bt the Dublin by a one point back in 1961 which i belive was the  last time Dublin played in the hurling Final.
Report peckerdunne May 25, 2018 7:09 PM BST
Jimmy Gray in goal.
Report frank60 May 25, 2018 10:27 PM BST
A old 3m film of the game ,standard wasn;t great but nice to see all the same.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld_L01zz9PQ
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now