Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
CALLING CARD
10 May 18 23:17
| Topic/replies: 391 | Blogger: CALLING CARD's blog
we revert to hq tomorrow.
passed it today for the first time since before xmas , stand progressing well,
will it be better than last year i hope so or i will not attend much
Share |
Show More
Report workrider May 10, 2018 11:30 PM BST
I'm still of the opinion that it should have closed full stop, shocking some days especially when its raining, nothing that can be done, The LADS use it as THEIR track, get whatever going they like etc. Having said that I'll ride up tomorrow as usual...
Report neill d May 11, 2018 12:27 AM BST
True, gonna have a fair cut on Gustav Klimpt first time a see an Irish Guineas antepost market, he'll probably go off 11/10 on the day with the ground exactly as he wants and hose up.
Report pa lapsy May 11, 2018 8:29 PM BST
Very mixed results today,swerved a bet there myself.
Really looking forward to Jeaga,s race tomorrow,no secret she was held in high regard before her debut where she was very impressive,nice also to see Weld leaves the ride to Leigh Roche again.
Know it is the wrong time of year for 3yo against elders but it looks like Clear Skies is more suited to Dundalk and not quite sure she is up to this despite odds,Bye Bye Baby previous to last run form is good but her last run was just poor,maybe as with Aidens she will improve for that run but not necesssarily so.I,m So Fancy has some close enough G3 finishes to give her a chance,I don't like Panstarr who looks just a good handicapper or Easter Lily who was behind Bye Bye Baby last time though that was expected.
Dermot thinks shes good, i do too though penny for thoughts lately springs to mind,hope ye had a good days racing today.
Report pa lapsy May 12, 2018 7:34 PM BST
Disappointing from Jaega,her 2/1 last night went to evs so she was obviously fancied,seen it time and time before with the stable but still a bitter enough taste that the winner completely left her last run behind.

Workrider wrote a post about his experience at the track,i thought it was a good and factual post,however it was removed for no reason i could see, not WR,not jimeen not no one but the idiot who removes posts and banned people has caused its demise.
Report workrider May 12, 2018 10:04 PM BST
Maybe the truth was too much for them to handle Pa, a shambles of a place, good for neither punter or member, people who have been going racing for years been treated like cattle this past year. The Curragh has NOTHING to offer anyone just now and everyone knows that to be the truth. Blight on Irish racing imo...Those with a interest there brook no interference of ANY description...
Report pa lapsy May 12, 2018 10:34 PM BST
Fair enough a work in progress but surely anyone is entitled to say how they feel,rather than your post getting removed, more good would have been done asking you your grievances with the place.
Even if it wasn't "them" not an ounce of balls anyway,just a glib removal of post,shame on ye.
Report dj876 May 13, 2018 11:42 AM BST

May 11, 2018 -- 12:27AM, neill d wrote:

True, gonna have a fair cut on Gustav Klimpt first time a see an Irish Guineas antepost market, he'll probably go off 11/10 on the day with the ground exactly as he wants and hose up.

3/1 with sky bet if you have an active a/c

I'd imagine that price will go today with confirmed absence of VD. 2/1 with PP.

Report neill d May 13, 2018 1:54 PM BST
Sound DJ, will back him at that if I can sort something out with them.
Report neill d May 13, 2018 2:03 PM BST
I wouldn't mind him getting beaten at Newmarket at all, think the Curragh is probably his perfect tract, looks a staying kind of miler.

Surprised Verbal Dexterity was never sold, wonder is he not as good as they hoped and Bolger doesn't want to sell the arabs a blatant dud as they're working closely enough together now.

Saxon Warrior looks some freak, the way he crept into it effortlessly at Newmarket was one of the most impressive things I've seen in a while. Pat Keane was saying in the Eaxaminer that it was a prep, don't think there is really a bet in the Derby now, couldn't be bothered taking him on.
Report kincsem May 13, 2018 6:43 PM BST
I was at The Curragh on Saturday.
A slight problem is the "pedestrian crossing" near the betting ring.
It is a crossing point where horses pass from the stables to the parade ring.
Then people can cross when it is horse-free.
It is manned by racecourse staff who open and close the gates.
It is an accident waiting to happen.
I hope the crossing is not permanent.

The stands look good but the temporary stand about 100 metres past the winning line was great.
The view of the racing was perfect.
Perhaps the main stand should have been built in similar fashion i.e. facing into the racing instead of sideways to it.
Report freddiewilliams May 14, 2018 2:03 PM BST
5 people manning it. With a length of rope
Report freddiewilliams May 14, 2018 2:03 PM BST
ExcitedLaugh
Report freddiewilliams May 14, 2018 2:05 PM BST
Terrible place. Won't be goingng back
Report freddiewilliams May 14, 2018 2:06 PM BST
And I backed the last winner
Report dj876 May 14, 2018 8:01 PM BST

May 13, 2018 -- 2:03PM, neill d wrote:

I wouldn't mind him getting beaten at Newmarket at all, think the Curragh is probably his perfect tract, looks a staying kind of miler.Surprised Verbal Dexterity was never sold, wonder is he not as good as they hoped and Bolger doesn't want to sell the arabs a blatant dud as they're working closely enough together now.Saxon Warrior looks some freak, the way he crept into it effortlessly at Newmarket was one of the most impressive things I've seen in a while. Pat Keane was saying in the Eaxaminer that it was a prep, don't think there is really a bet in the Derby now, couldn't be bothered taking him on.

3/1 would seem over-priced Neil even with the normal dangers of ante-post but not the most accessible of books by any means.

It seems to be the plan according to the below quote. The second and third favs finished ahead at Newmarket but Appelby and Johnston (will they even turn up),the narrative is normally they kill their best horses early and regress if anything, then you have AOB. Although sometimes where we have seen AOB's improve dramatically from Newm to Curragh,Newm was their seasonal debut.Not the case here obv, but maybe the below quote gives the reason.Aob has managed to win this with Power and Rodderick

"US Navy Flag is likely to be joined in the Irish Guineas by stablemate Gustav Klimt. The Galileo colt could only finish sixth behind Saxon Warrior in the Newmarket Guineas and O'Brien hopes he can raise his game at the Curragh on Saturday week.

O'Brien said: "We thought he would run a better race than he did (at Newmarket), but he still ran a good race and we were very happy with him. It could have been that he ran in Leopardstown (on his reappearance) in very heavy ground and it took a bit more out of him than we thought. In the Guineas he raced a bit behind the bridle rather than the other way when he can be on it. He is very well now and his work is very good so he is going to go back to the Irish 2,000 Guineas."

Report jimeen May 14, 2018 10:20 PM BST
Two points I’d like to put across, two opinions more like it. Firstly I was in the Curragh on Friday and I was pleasantly surprised how well it looked, and ok it’s only half built but it looks like it’s going to be a very impressive facility . I don’t have any idea what winkrider was expecting , or maybe he wasn’t aware there were new facilities being built.
On gustav klimt, and I may well be wrong ,but I wouldn’t fancy him in the Curragh if it’s any kind of race at all, in fact I’d go as far as saying , it’s opposable no matter what kind of race it is. He looks a regressive sort and the fact he was so weak in the betting at Newmarket is very worrying.
Time will tell but I wouldn’t be shocked if he never won another race.
Report neill d May 15, 2018 12:50 AM BST
He's a funny kind of horse to watch race is Gustav Klimpt, seems to always look a bit laboured even when well on top in races. Will be interesting to see.
Report jimeen May 15, 2018 8:20 AM BST
Winkrider, we cant all live in leafy Tallaght like yourself. You are used to so much better obviously, yourself , McGregor and the Lidl Looters, oh sorry I forgot about the rampaging defecators with the green and white tops.
Report pa lapsy May 15, 2018 10:30 AM BST
I'm with Jimeen concerning Gustav but he will get a race,though stays just seems to have an inability to change a gear.
I think Masar would confirm the Newmarket run but as said may not turn up(Mildenberger at a huge price would be interesting if he makes the journey).
Presume Amedeo Modigliani has had a setback?, plan was the Derrinstown and entered at York but no sign,if he was given the chance he would have beaten Gustav on debut and maybe a better horse than him imo.
Aiden may well orchestrate a win,i'm loathe to be against him,the vibe with the betting was so right at Newmarket particulary late on ( i knew my Gustav docket was fecked and worse went into rabbit in the headlights mode), no surprise the signposts could again be out on the day again.
Report workrider May 15, 2018 4:12 PM BST
Pa, seldom if even does the Tabor money go amiss, its nearly worth losing a few points and waiting for them to get on. I learnt that lesson at Shelbourne many years ago , a fellow I knew was very friendly with a top trainer and took it upon himself to second guess same by taking his price, he went broke in a few years. Many would say it served him right, I know as a owner myself its heartbreaking to have someone steal your price...
Report pa lapsy May 22, 2018 11:17 PM BST
2nd guessing won't be a strongpoint WR.

At the 5 day decs it is looking a very underwhelming guineas, Gustav at this stage seems weak in the betting,the opposite applies to stablemate US Navy Flag,typical on pure form it has to be a definite no with the latter but dismiss at your peril.
Imaging and more so Elarqam should in theory be within a couple of lths with Gustav,if you were looking at Imaging you couldn't discount the maiden Would Be King or at a push 100/1 shot Quizzical.
I think if you could make head or tail of those lines the winner comes from them,doubt Symbolization or Zihba are good enough.
Pig of a race to solve for me anyway.
Report workrider May 23, 2018 11:16 PM BST
Pa, Vibes are very poor for Gustav, Elarqam looking strong and seems as if the moneys coming for it, it got worked up in the stalls at Newmarket kicking out and banging it legs , that would be a worry for me, otherwise I think the Curragh will suit this lad down to the ground...
Report kincsem May 24, 2018 12:35 AM BST
I was looking at the form and I remember posting about Symbilization.
He ran on English 2000 Guineas day in the 17:20 race, a 0-105 3yo 1m handicap carrying 9-7, winning in 1m 36.94 (7 runners)
The English 2000 Guineas was run earlier at 15:35, won by Saxon Warrior, carrying 9-0, in 1m 36.55 (14 runners).
As Elarqam in 4th was 2 1/4 l behind Saxon Warrior, or about 0.4s, that would put Elarqam and Symbolization on almost identical times.

I know one was a handicap, and Group 1 tends to me much tougher, but Symbolization and Elarqam ran identical times, and Symbolization was carrying more weight.
I've put €30 on at 15.21.
If Elarqam and Gustav Kilimt are beaten in the Irish 2000 Guineas the English Derby market might get a shake up.
Report kincsem May 24, 2018 1:03 AM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmlX_ZMusUo

I agree with the commentator.
Symbilization was conceding 12 pounds to the runner-up.
Report pa lapsy May 25, 2018 11:20 AM BST
Nice bit of reasoning Kinscem,Magic Circle last night showed a steep rise in class can be done.

Still no wiser myself,gun put to head, the extra furlong,run against Gustav last year and 20/1 would have me thinking Would Be King may sneak a place though the maiden status and ratings would say i'm too optimistic.

A quick look at the weekend decs there and two very competitive cards with a lethal look for punting imo.

Maybe there is a reason my own punting is a pity lately,looking at class 6 sprinters at Bath might be one (4.30).
Nora Batt is of that grade i suppose,her price at around 7/1 has tempted me ew for a few reasons, i think Bath run a series of sprints where there is a finale later in the season,Nora Batt was targetted at that 2 years ago,where she was 2nd in a heat(ran off 69,47 today),her 2 last runs are adequate for this contest,she was beaten 5/6 lths in probably a bit better class.
She is up against 2 last time out c/d winners but the rest of the field looks poor.

Good to see a few views on the guineas and all the best with your picks.
Report workrider May 25, 2018 4:18 PM BST
Pa, I was in Bath at the races a few weeks ago, wonderful little track, though a lot like P. Park for watching, they come at you straight on and its hard to know whats really in front, really friendly track , I got mistaken for a owner there one day a few years back, the lunch was really nice as well. I think Johnstons horse has a huge chance tomorrow, really interesting sprint and I will wait till I see them in the paddock before making a decision really cant see past the English pair if I'm honest...
Report workrider May 25, 2018 4:54 PM BST
Nora went out like a light Pa,very poor run..
Report pa lapsy May 25, 2018 5:16 PM BST
Yes,she weakened v quickly, she was looking good til just over 1.5f out, no excuses, since Punchestown can't get a winner at all.

Have a good days racing tomorrow.
Report workrider May 25, 2018 5:21 PM BST
Thanks Pa, have a few days lined up for England next week , visiting Donny, Hexham, Fakenham, Leicester, Bangor, hopefully I get a few winners.
Report workrider May 26, 2018 9:14 PM BST
They'll have blisters on their backs with all the backslapping there today, every pro Curragh was brought onside to tell us how wonderful the place is, not one MEMBER was asked their opinion though, I'm a member and we had nowhere to go today for a cup of tea or a pint etc, but the High Echelon had their place to sit and get fed and drink their champers. Tells you all you need to know were this place is heading, the old us and them system is back in place...
Report kincsem May 27, 2018 11:11 PM BST
One good thing is they have plenty of park benches where you can sit down, read your newspaper, and pick losing bets.
Report workrider May 28, 2018 3:20 PM BST
I see my piece about English stag parties has been removed....
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now