Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
foxy
31 Jan 18 18:02
| Topic/replies: 7,581 | Blogger: foxy's blog
Wrote an article in today’s post ,what a bundle of fun he seems
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Dublin festival Alan sweetman
Show More
Report cloone river January 31, 2018 10:10 PM GMT
What did he say foxy?
Report foxy February 1, 2018 9:51 AM GMT
thats a very negative article never mind his opening line,his comments about only well heeled people coming from the uk is miles out ,i know many who are making the trip and they are simply people who enjoy good racing and a good time,his comments about hotels shows he must never have set foot in the uk where we are the world champions at over priced and over rated hotels,why bang on about the curragh it has no relevance to this weekend.his comments about the topics talked about in the betting shops shows that he himself must just be a betting shop punter no disrespect to them but they are not interested in horse racing just gambling shouting at televisions and blaming others when they do there money.

i did however agree with him about no hunter chase they could have fitted one in on saturday.
Report RoyalAcademy February 1, 2018 10:43 AM GMT
I agree with a lot of what he says.

There are two distinct lines of reasoning about racecourse attendances in Ireland at present and the one I disagree with is that attendance figures are not all that relevant any more. The preferred metric is how many stay-at-home fans there are that engage about the sport everywhere except the racetrack. The Keogh comment that he is hoping for "north of 25,000" is a case in point-its wing-and-a-prayer stuff aided by a fortune investedg by HRI's marketing department. Attendance figures in Ireland are dreadful at the moment yet we claim that it is the second-most popular spectator sport with 1.3m attendees: this is utter drivel. The only measurement that counts is how many paying guests turn up and that figure is a long was below 1.3m; my guess is that its less than 0.5m souls.

Who knows what the ticketing arrangements will be this weekend? It is good to see foxy's enthusiasm but I think the Irish context referred to by AS is very relevant. I will pose one question: if there was a "poor man's" Danoli or Limestone Lad or Beef Or Salmon running this weekend as against a virtual monopolistic ownership of all the top racehorses by the chosen few which would attract a massive attendance? In my view, with the latter situation prevailing, people just can't be bothered any more. I recall a day many years ago at the Curragh as M.V.O'Brien welcomed home yet another 2yo winner there was a cry from beside the parade ring: "More apples for the orchard, Vincent." Plus ca change.
Report foxy February 1, 2018 10:48 AM GMT
premier sold out both days royal academy.
Report foxy February 1, 2018 10:54 AM GMT
the attendences over here are not very good never mind the spin put on from the bha,the last 3 fixtures at haydock on saturdays have be woeful and thats in a good catchment area,midweek national hunt are getting very poor crowds which is understanding due to the poor fields and cost,at least in ireland its cheap to go racing.
Report foxy February 1, 2018 1:41 PM GMT
Good afternoon Alans

Thank you for taking the time to reply,the well heeled bit I didn’t find offensive just in accurate but after spending a bit of time in your city these last few winters I do agree you live in an expensive one but one no different to London and Stratford.

The politics of Irish racing regarding the increase in betting tax I know nothing about.

Grade ones in Ireland seem to hold up much better than in the uk and I don’t see the problem with who owns them and from what I see both jp and gigginstown are a huge asset to national hunt racing in Ireland,not sure about the other fella,I don’t have a problem if a 7 runner grade one or a big handicap is dominated by the colours of maroon and white or green and gold.

Regarding the lack of targeting local people then of course that is poor and surprising although as premier is sold out both days they must have done something right.

I remember when we first had champions day at ascot in 2011 there was so much doom and gloom from the press regarding timing and weather ,it’s been a huge success ok they got wonderful weather the first year and frankel for the first two years,this weekend the weather looks like been kind and on Saturday you have the likes of faugheen and petit mouchoir fingers crossed plus many other very good horses,I don’t include veinard in that although as ever I will make a donation to the bookmakers,Sunday could be even better.

You are very lucky in Ireland to have such wonderful racecourses and so many good national hunt horses I still fun to go racing and very cheap,I just get the feeling many over there don’t appreciate what you have,this weekend will be my first visit to Leopardstown and it’s just like I felt back in the 80s and 90s when Cheltenham was looming it’s going to me a magical two days and there’s only two more sleeps to go.

Good luck

Pete
Report foxy April 23, 2018 5:36 PM BST
Having criticised Alan s on his article prior to the Dublin festival I have to say I enjoyed today’s article named land of the giants I presume with sprinter sacre not getting in the top ten it was just Irish horses,
Report alans April 24, 2018 1:07 PM BST
Yes foxy, plead guilty to home-team refereeing! Hope you have a profitable week.
Report foxy April 25, 2018 11:50 AM BST
thanks alans good luck to you
Report foxy April 25, 2018 12:13 PM BST
come to think of it if you did the article after this years fixture you may well have had to have left one out to be replaced by un de sceaux.

ha
Report foxy April 25, 2018 12:13 PM BST
ha should say hailstone as i write.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now