Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
jimeen
30 Nov 17 20:14
| Topic/replies: 1,725 | Blogger: jimeen's blog
A truly despicable human being , just watched him on the news there, appearing in court for some speeding charge. His behaviour is symptomatic of everything that is wrong in modern day society, glorifying the dirtiest toerag that ever wore shoe leather.
In almost any other country , this thing would be treated with the contempt that he deserves, but in Ireland , people look  up to him as some sort of hero figure. It really is so embarrassing for our nation , but what’s new?. Ireland has prided itself for decades , in saluting mediocrity and worse.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Irish people should be ashamed of...
Show More
Report frank60 November 30, 2017 9:39 PM GMT
Seems the judge had a good sense of humor , The judge asked McGregor how much he earned and said: "It may seem a stupid question but please do not tell me you made €110 million in a day."

McGregor laughed and there was laughter in the court when he replied €140m.

The judge convicted him and fined him €400 with two months to pay.

There was more laughter when she said that he could pay by installments.

The judge also said: "In spite of your good fortune, I would ask you to take cognisance of others on the road and slow down."

McGregor apologised and said he wanted to show his respect by showing up in court.
Report jimeen November 30, 2017 10:57 PM GMT
He showed a lot of respect alright, turning up in a tracksuit, abandoning his car outside the door, letting the doors open. From there he went inside and made a mockery of the court, basically making fun of it. When he came outside, he started to pull his hoodie over his face as if he was Martin Cahill. All in all, a disgusting show from this imbecile of imbeciles.
Anybody who admits to liking him  or the rubbish sport he’s involved in should really have a good look at themselves.
Report workrider November 30, 2017 11:37 PM GMT
So the millions who watched him over the years are all thick ? . 1,000s  spent huge sums to get to America to watch him fight. I happened to meet Conor once just before he fought for his first world title, and I was surprised how kind he was to everyone who came up to him asking for selfies.Never once did he turn them away even though the  minder with him was anxious to leave.He was courteous to both young and old even though his food was going colder by the second he made sure to pose with anyone who asked, how you can call him a truly despicable human being is beyond me.Maybe if he was a Corkman you'd have a different opinion, talk about spreading rumours, your above post takes the biscuit.
Report peckerdunne December 1, 2017 12:18 AM GMT
I saw no glorification.

I don't idolise the fellow at all and i think most people in Ireland with average iq are aware

he is not the first name down on the dinner party list.

It a societal issue perhaps but not particularly an Irish one, i think that is unfair.

However if Christy Kinahan decides he wants to even the score he had best watch his step.
Report frank60 December 1, 2017 12:34 AM GMT
We all know Conor steps over the line at times  he can be  immature but he has a good heart, i hope he has the good sense to fight just one more time in Ireland to repay his fans who spend a great deal of money following his fights in the U.S,
Report G Hall December 1, 2017 11:47 AM GMT
I have to agree with jimeen on this one I blame the media s c um
Report neill d December 1, 2017 12:34 PM GMT
He is a dreadful role-model, but I think his act itself is calculated to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

As a man, to meet him person-to-person, I'd say he is an okay guy, you'd just wish he'd conduct himself better.

You'd see flashes of humility in him, like when he was interviewed straight after the Mayweather fight, but he sets a terrible example.

He isn't actually that much anyway, that sport is a very shallow pool. Mayweather fight showed his punching technique is appalling and he actually couldn't crack an egg. MMA is boxing for white people, as Mayweather put it.
Report neill d December 1, 2017 12:40 PM GMT
With all the stuff he is doing as well, he'd do well to remember that those lads he is dealing with would blow his head off and it wouldn't cause them a second of concern. The Gardaí are already putting fortunes of resources into them, so its not like the police spotlight could even intensify.

From what you'd read, his father is very concerned about what happened, but Conor himself doesn't care. It won't be a Princess Diana scenario if something happens, either. People will just shrug and say 'that is what you get'.

Its a strange phenomenon, he engenders dimmer middle-class young fellas to want to behave like gangsters in the way they carry themselves, that is what I don't like about him.
Report RoyalAcademy December 1, 2017 1:02 PM GMT
Product of his environment. If you railed daily against the breaking of the mould in terms of respect, etiquette, good manners, morality, modern celebrity and a host of other questionable "modern" trends you would do little else. I'm sure his mother thinks he's wonderful.
Report neill d December 1, 2017 1:17 PM GMT
I actually don't think he is really like that, it makes him money to be like that; so he is. He is from a decent background. His act is very calculated I'd say. Its a persona, he is operating from Mayweather's playbook.

The only thing humility gets you in combat sports is a sh!t purse, its just that the way he does it wouldn't appeal to me. Groves/Eubank in February will be Box Office, a huge fight; but the two lads won't behave like toerags, because it isn't their demographic.

McGregor is an aspiration for lads who are either lost, or with no stake in society, that's where he is looking to make a buck; so he does the gangster thing. As workrider said above, meet him, face to face, and he is a nice guy. I just think he has got a little crazy on the beak, and as I say, I don't like the example he sets. Very interesting watching it all, though, and I don't even like MMA.
Report peckerdunne December 1, 2017 2:02 PM GMT
Catch me if you can! ha

Solicitor on liveline now defending him. That's the one who got him out of bed.

Disputes the line above which was very audible and cant really explain his security detail.

Professional boxers are not allowed to punch members of the public,even if they are in south Dublin pubs.
Report frank60 December 1, 2017 2:54 PM GMT
Forgetting about Mcgregor if any of you foremites wont to see a truly wonderful fight then make a date to see Lomachenko v Rigondeaux on the 9th of Dec,  Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux is an upcoming professional boxing match to be contested for the WBO super featherweight championship. The bout will be held on December 9, 2017 at The Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Lomachenko and Rigondeaux are regarded as two of the best amateurs in history, with each boxer winning two Olympic gold medals. The downside is getting up at 4 in the morning. Have a look at  Lomachenko fighting in this clip.  A master at work     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPW-D_RGNW0
Report Nogoody December 2, 2017 9:46 AM GMT
He always came across as a tad common. ( Sniff )
Report Racingqueen December 2, 2017 10:14 AM GMT
Am I the only one who thinks its f**king ridiculous waste of money to have a case like this in court with the judge "demanding" he appear before her. I thought the last judge told him he could have a "Representative" in his place?

Am I wrong in thinking its because he left his middle name out when returning the fixed penalty notice?
Report punchestown December 2, 2017 1:10 PM GMT
He forgot to put his driver licence number on the fixed penalty notice.
Report peckerdunne December 2, 2017 1:37 PM GMT
Anthony i believe was missing
Report workrider December 2, 2017 5:07 PM GMT
Jimeen, time to wake up, Ireland has moved on,I even heard a fella fart in the toilet today...Laugh
Report jimeen December 2, 2017 5:21 PM GMT
Workrider, I wouldn’t call putting the likes of McGregor on a pedestal , moving on . In fact I’d call it a step backwards, a huge step backwards in fact . Call me old fashioned but I will never ever warm to the likes of that thing. He’s everything I cannot abide , right from the top of his head to the tip of his toenail.
You obviously are a big fan , but then again , he’s a neighbour of yours.
Report workrider December 2, 2017 5:44 PM GMT
I'm no fan of that sport he earns his living from,that's for sure, but he has the right to do so.The fact most of the stuff he say's is bluff and designed to up the gate seems to have gone over your head!. I have met the guy and believe me his public profile is totally different from his home one. I know you'll be surprised to learn he's one of the World's best payed sportsmen.Those paying huge sums to watch what he does in the ring obviously love the guy.Incase you haven't noticed they come from all parts of the globe.As for him been a neighbour of mine,I can assure you I couldn't afford to pay for the kind of house he owns, I'd even struggle to pay for some of his cars,you see unlike yourself I had to Work for my money.Not everyone has a rich Daddy to leave them a inheritence.  If Conor played Hurling you'd be championing him to high heaven...
Report jimeen December 2, 2017 6:05 PM GMT
Workrider, what he does is not a sport , it’s a makey uppy thing,  not too dissimilar to wrestling.  There was no such thing as this garbage until relatively lately .Ok he may have made huge sums of money , but all the money in the world isn’t going to camouflage what he really is. Anyone with a semblance of a brain , can see exactly what we are dealing with here, but there are plenty without same, and that’s his target audience. The notion that he is different in real life is a fanciful one, it’s a complete load of shiite actually .
As for championing GAA players , who would most people consider a better role model , Joe Canning , Aidan O Shea, or that thing McGregor ?
Report peckerdunne December 2, 2017 6:50 PM GMT
Grin
Report workrider December 2, 2017 7:57 PM GMT
I don't know any of those gaa guys,I'm sure they're all fine people,thing is people have  different options open to them compared to yesteryear, and different hero's. Lots of stuff is outrageous to me nowaday, call me an old fuddy duddy if you want, but everyone has the right to what they think is good, and are willing to pay good money to back that up.I remember been told the Beatles were the devil and not to listen to such music.We have to move with the times, not everything that's modern is good, but progress is progress and without it we wouldn't evolve.
Report jimeen December 2, 2017 8:32 PM GMT
Workrider, I’m all for progress, things like i phones and the internet are fantastic progressions in the last 20 years or so, but I don’t like the fact that nowadays, illiterate soccer players can earn a kings ransom every week, that we cannot speak our minds regarding certain sections of society, and that billionaires can literally turn Accrington Stanley into champions league winners if they see fit.
The increased popularity in nonsensical pastimes like women’s boxing and this cage fighting McGregor rubbish are just two more examples of modern not necessarily being progressive.
Report workrider December 3, 2017 12:33 AM GMT
Remarkably I find myself in total agreement, except re  Conor....
Report frank60 December 3, 2017 1:57 PM GMT
Toby i know a few lads who have spent a lot of money following Mcgregor in the U.S. and i can assure you there not Knackers [as you call them] i have to say im enjoying jimeen post, pity Wildman and Ozie have left the building.
Report kincsem December 4, 2017 4:38 PM GMT
jimeen saved me posting.  I agree.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now