Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
punchestown
28 Jul 17 18:16
| Topic/replies: 4,641 | Blogger: punchestown's blog
Don't think there's a jockey been born or ever will that will keep the Giggy boys happy.Thought the lad was unlucky with injuries just at the wrong time on a few occasions.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Bryan Cooper.
Show More
Report CALLING CARD July 29, 2017 12:18 AM BST
to be honest we all saw it coming
Cooper probably not in the same league as Ruby Paul or Davy but they dispensed with him very quickly
Be interesting to see how their regime works when trainers want different jockeys
Report GANT007 July 29, 2017 8:58 AM BST
Gigginstown only use 4 trainers, so it aint gonna be hard. Kennedy/Russell will ride bulk of Elliots with Cooper picking up a few rides. Flanagan will ride all of Meades. De Bromhead and Mouse will use Russell and Cooper with Davy getting the call even though both of them would rather put up David Mullins.
Report by purpose July 29, 2017 1:36 PM BST
If Flanagan rides all of Meades i will take up parachute jumping.
Report jimeen July 29, 2017 4:45 PM BST
Russell will ride most of the better ones surely. Quite possibly the best jockey riding in the game at the moment. Sean Flanagan is a bang average rider, and David Mullins couldn't be riding worse and needs to get himself sorted pretty quickly, because from looking like a wonder jockey , his star has certainly fallen.
Cooper looked a great rider when he got the job , but he never consolidated his position, and I suppose his injuries haven't helped. He will do well to bounce back but it's not impossible.
Report CALLING CARD July 29, 2017 10:28 PM BST
Flanagan not in the same league as Russell et al he will exposed
Cooper will respond and bounce back he's too good a rider and his leagues ahead of Burke or Heskin who held the other jobs7
Report neill d July 29, 2017 10:37 PM BST
Anybody think that with Mullins' novices not being as strong as usual last season, Ruby might have had a word and said he'd be more available next season than he often is in some of the Novice Chases maybe? If I were O'Leary, I would never not use either Russell or Walsh, that's where they're going with this you'd think.
Report kavvie July 29, 2017 11:11 PM BST
hope cooper wins lots of g1s chinning giggy ones with  super rides..!!
Report GANT007 July 30, 2017 9:23 AM BST
Brian will have to remove a small bit of that chip on his shoulder and put himself about. Not a lot here in Ireland for lads like Brian, you have the top 3 or 4 and then rest are of a similar level.
Brian will have to remove a small bit of that chip on his shoulder and put himself about. Not a lot here in Ireland for lads like Brian, you have the top 3 or 4 and then rest are of a similar level.
Report GANT007 July 30, 2017 9:26 AM BST
Sorry for posting 3 times, this rural broadband works on Sunday mornings.
Report neill d July 30, 2017 3:13 PM BST

Jul 30, 2017 -- 9:23AM, GANT007 wrote:

I think he should go to England. Put down a good year there and he will get in with Nicholls or Henderson. I think his stock has fallen in Ireland, to the extent that he is done at the top-level here. He would be the best jockey riding full time in England.

Report GANT007 July 30, 2017 5:12 PM BST
Door closed at Hendersons and Nicholls. It's gonna be hard for Brian to going again but he should bang in a few for Gigginstown when they run 4 or 5 in some races.
Russell will make hay and will be a wiser lad this time around.
Report by purpose July 30, 2017 5:46 PM BST
He would hardly get a job in Nicholls or Hendersons cleaning out the khazi.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 2, 2017 4:29 PM BST
Rouergate for Venetia in Strat bumper
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 10, 2017 2:07 PM BST
See BJ has two rides in Ludlow tomorrow for Ann & Alan Potts Limited - a new start with the Yorkshire owner. The Potts company MMD, design and manufacture material processing equipment used in many worldwide mining operations and in particular the development of low profile, high capacity, compact sizing machines.

3.00 Exxaro (might have a small chance) & 4.00 Mick Thonic.... both for Colin Tizzard. Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 10, 2017 3:51 PM BST
Robbie Power will ride for Potts in Ireland.
Report Nogoody October 10, 2017 5:35 PM BST
Good luck to him , he's got a tough act to follow ,Puppy Power rode the ears of them last Spring.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 12, 2017 3:03 PM BST
3.15 Exeter today then Newton Abbot with 2 for Tizzard/Potts.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 15, 2017 2:35 PM BST
2017 Goffs Land Rover Bumper winner Vision Des Flos makes his jumping debut in the Grade Two Persian War Nov Hdl in Chepstow at 2.50. The 4yo French-bred gelding changed hands for €270,000 and is now with Colin Tizzard, and leading owner Alan Potts, with Cooper taking the ride.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 15, 2017 2:35 PM BST
9/2 third fav
Report punchestown October 15, 2017 7:42 PM BST
Thought it ran well enough considering it was only it's second run under Rules and it's Hurdles debut and the fact it didn't settle in what might turn out to be a decent enough race.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 15, 2017 9:00 PM BST
Think Cooper saved him for later in the season (was not too hard on him) imho
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 15, 2017 9:01 PM BST
Only 4yo remember Devil
Report CALLING CARD October 15, 2017 11:36 PM BST
Lads lay off Cooper
he will do ok in the UK
look at the top table over there
Johnson cant ride a race without making a mess of an obstacle
Fehily as old as a bush
Coleman his brother is better
Twisted Sister enough said
Cooper will do ok and is young and getting his confidence back
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 15, 2017 11:39 PM BST
We all wish the young lad the very best.....Roll on another Gold Cup !
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 14, 2017 5:20 PM GMT
Breaking News of the sudden death of 80yo racehorse owner ALAN POTTS Sad
...and just 3 months after his wife Ann passed away following a long illness.

The 'SIZING' trainers - De Bromhead, Harrington & Tizzard will continue training his horses for the immediate future according to his office memo. Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 14, 2017 7:44 PM GMT
Several runners were expected to represent Potts at Cheltenham this weekend, including Finian’s Oscar who holds entries in novice chase events on Friday and Sunday, and Fox Norton is entered in the Grade Two Shloer Chase on Sunday.
Sizing John is also been expected to return to action in the Grade One Betfair Chase at Haydock on Saturday week.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 15, 2017 12:17 PM GMT
In 2016 the Potts family removed all of their horses from De Bromhead’s yard, sending many of them to several trainers across Ireland.
Dorset trainer Colin Tizzard also inherited a sizeable string...Tizzard said: “It came as quite a surprise as I was only talking to him a few days ago.
“He was a self-made man. He could be quite demanding but he could be absolutely brilliant company – that was the sort of person he was.

“He made a lot of money from scratch and he definitely brought our stable a few gears forward and he will be sadly missed. We’ve had some brilliant days and we had a brilliant meeting at Aintree and then went over to Punchestown. “Ann was still around then and Ann and Alan together were lovely company. Ann was a lovely lady and we all had some brilliant times together."

“I think going over to Punchestown and winning the Champion Chase with Fox Norton was brilliant along with Sizing Granite and Sizing Codelco winning there.
Going to Ireland and beating the Irish there was special. We sat with him for dinner for three or four days there and spent a lot of very happy times together.

“I am not quite sure [what will happen] about the horses. They have been sorting out this huge business of his for a few years. I think it will be sorted soon and we will then find out what will happen.”
Report punchestown January 24, 2018 2:38 PM GMT
Shows you how low his stock is at the moment,has moderate rides in the opening 2 races tomorrow and then nothing else for the day and even though Gigginstown have 5 runners in the Thyestes..I hope for his sake that things improve for him.
Report punchestown January 24, 2018 2:38 PM GMT
Shows you how low his stock is at the moment,has moderate rides in the opening 2 races tomorrow and then nothing else for the day and even though Gigginstown have 5 runners in the Thyestes..I hope for his sake that things improve for him.
Report neill d January 24, 2018 6:31 PM GMT
Rode wide in a competitive handicap hurdle at Cheltenham on one of Elliot's which GE mentioned in an interview afterwards. I'd say Elliot thinks his bottle is gone after all of the injuries.
Report tony57 January 25, 2018 8:51 AM GMT
he  has the potts job over here with tizzard, 30 horses they have for them...i know its a big drop but there is no doubt he has had problems especially with injurys
Report punchestown January 25, 2018 4:35 PM GMT
The thing about the Potts job is that it's now all up in the air to see if whoever inherits the horses keeps them or flogs them off...
Report kavvie January 26, 2018 10:48 AM GMT
lets hope bryan comes back stronger than ever.i feel he will.remember jp murtagh has a very big dip in his career midway through it and came back to go right to the top.
Report punchestown January 27, 2018 3:46 PM GMT
Another awful day for the lad,3 rides,one distant 3rd and the other 2 pulled up.Sad (Lot of late money on Finian's Oscar went astray).
Report Nogoody January 28, 2018 2:42 PM GMT
Can't catch a break can he?
On another note has Workrider passed away or what? All we have here is the odd one from yourself and more to be pitied than laughed-at Catch babbling away to himself.
Report tony57 February 13, 2018 12:18 PM GMT
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/feb/13/talking-horses-testing-ti...
Report workrider February 13, 2018 3:19 PM GMT
I'm still here thank God Nogoody, not planning on departing for the next 25 yrs or more either...Laugh..I see Willie is putting Bryan up on one at Fairyhouse tomorrow, hopefully its a winner and kicks starts the lads career once again.
Report Nogoody February 13, 2018 5:15 PM GMT
Great to have you back Workrider, we need a little sanity here at the moment. He's been riding a few for Paul Nolan lately but that wouldn't necessarily help his cause as Paul's aren't finishing well for some reason.
Report workrider February 14, 2018 12:26 PM GMT
I think Bryan has learnt his lesson,it must have been unreal the change that took place in his career. Hopefully the Master trainer can change his luck for him and bring him back into the fold.Off to Fairyhouse to watch the resurrection.
Report workrider February 14, 2018 7:41 PM GMT
Delighted for the lad.
Report fivetosix February 15, 2018 10:49 PM GMT
i think people dont realise that it wasnt that willie gave bryan the mount  cooper has an arrangement to ride all the owners horse  tom cooper has 27 horses belonging to this relatively new owner so dont expect bryan on many w mullins horses
Report punchestown February 22, 2018 8:27 PM GMT
It goes from bad to worse for the lad with the Potts horses announcement for Cheltenham.DT Hughes (RIP) passing was another thing that wasn't good for him.

I hope the guy gets on a few decent spare ones at the Festival and gets back up to somewhere near where he was.

A lot of people in the game don't appear to have forgiven him for taking the Giggy job....
Report workrider March 11, 2018 2:42 PM GMT
Nice to see him win one at Leop on Friday. Hopefully things start to pick up for the young lad...
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 19, 2018 1:03 AM GMT
Thanks to Sweeney in the Indo, on Jockeys...

After winning the RSA Chase on Presenting Percy, Davy Russell looked to the skies and held his hands up in tribute to his mother Phyllis, who died last week. Interviewed by ITV shortly afterwards, his tribute had an awkward unpolished sincere beauty about it which will stay in the mind for a long time.
No-one had more winners at the Festival than the man from Youghal who, as he closes in on 40, has never ridden better. The effort and strain of the jockey's life is carved in Russell's features more than most and watching his string of masterly performances I can't help remembering the abuse he got after apparently punching a horse at Tramore a few months ago.
Most of the social media outrage junkies who rounded on Russell probably hadn't even heard of him before the incident became a two-day wonder. He was the latest target for our modern equivalent of the Two Minutes Hate described by George Orwell in 1984. Once they'd finished venting their spleen against the jockey, they'd have moved on to the next bete noir. And Davy Russell? He'd have got back to work.

Are any sportsmen more subject to the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune than jockeys? Last year's Festival was expected to witness a big breakthrough for the under-rated Mark Walsh, selected to ride JP McManus's leading horses in the absence of the injured Barry Geraghty. It never happened, a fall in the opening race of day two saw Walsh ruled out of the remainder of the Festival where he had never ridden a winner. This year he scarcely figured in the previews.

If you'd told Mark Walsh on Wednesday morning that he'd break his Cheltenham duck in that day's Coral Cup, he'd hardly have believed you. He didn't even have a mount in the race. Yet the reshuffle prompted by the injury to Ruby Walsh saw his namesake handed Bleu Berry which he piloted expertly to victory at 16/1. Swings and roundabouts.

Ruby Walsh's injury underlined again the precarious nature of perhaps the only job in the world where an ambulance tails you as you go to work. Five years ago Bryan Cooper won three races at Cheltenham and the future seemed to belong to him. A cruel run of injuries has meant that this year the 25-year-old was merely a peripheral figure.

It really is the toughest trade. No matter how good they are, jockeys know that there is a pain schedule which has to be filled out in their career. Yet, interviewed as they line up at the start or as they've just finished, they are the most sanguine, the least precious and the best mannered of all professional sportsmen. They are a breed apart.
Report punchestown March 23, 2018 5:29 PM GMT
Nice to see him boot one home today at Navan.
Report workrider March 23, 2018 6:14 PM GMT
No it wasn't Punch, I was on the second, and was sure I'd won, on reflection it was a smasher of a ride from Bryan and he looked shocked when he was called the winner...
Report punchestown March 23, 2018 7:15 PM GMT
Workrider Laugh
Report neill d March 23, 2018 9:31 PM GMT
Wouldn't read Eamon Sweeney, I have seen him in a prior article concerning Douvan, admit that he doesn't know sh!t about racing and that the first meeting he had ever attended was last season when Douvan won the Hilly way in Mallow. More generally, his articles seem to consist of him making a tonne of bland virtue signalling statements ending with him taking some proprietorship about a cause the rest of us all understood the virtues of about 18 months ago. He is the drizzling sh!ts.

On topic, Cooper is door-nail dead career wise, there are people with 80-90% of his talent that are willing to hurt themselves to win. The beginning and end of it for me. He should go to England, do like Brian Hughes, Cooper could ride 200 winners per year mugging off the Northern jockeys. I think I'd crack 100 up there granted ordinary luck and my weight being in order.
Report punchestown April 25, 2018 4:25 PM BST
Could he possibly emulate G Lee & TJ Murphy and switch to the flat?,at the rate the rides are coming in over the jumps it's not happening for him.
Report punchestown May 5, 2018 10:09 PM BST
Maybe he won't have to after all?,fine treble today.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now