Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Catch Me ifyoucan
16 Oct 16 13:51
| Topic/replies: 14,769 | Blogger: Catch Me ifyoucan's blog
Absolutely tragic news. An Irish rugby legend & Munster Rugby coach Anthony Foley has died. He passed away overnight at team hotel in Paris. Anthony Foley RIP.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View (((( IRISH RUGBY ))))
Show More
Report neill d October 16, 2016 2:18 PM BST
RIP Anthony Foley
Report workrider October 16, 2016 2:20 PM BST
Very sad ,what happened ? R.I.P.
Report GANT007 October 16, 2016 2:20 PM BST
RIP Anthony Foley. Very sad news.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 16, 2016 5:44 PM BST
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/munster-rugby/super-form-at-mick-galweys-50th-frankie-sheahan-shares-heartwarming-photo-of-anthony-foley-with-munster-legends-just-last-weekend-35134554.html

At just 42, very sad as he leaves two young boys behind.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 16, 2016 5:49 PM BST
A decorated playing career, Foley, whose father Brendan also played for Ireland, made 201 appearances in the back row for Munster in a playing career that spanned 13 years. He made his debut in 1995 against Swansea in the province's first match in the Heineken Cup - a competition in which he would later captain his side to victory in 2006, having twice finished as a runner-up (in 2000 and 2002).

He would also captain Ireland three times in winning 62 caps, having made a try-scoring debut in the Five Nations defeat by England in January 1995.
He was replaced as Munster captain by Paul O'Connell for the 2007-08 season, at the end of which he announced his retirement and joined their coaching staff.

Foley initially took over as Munster forwards coach in 2011 - a role he briefly undertook with Ireland during the 2012 Six Nations - before graduating to head coach in 2014 after the departure of Rob Penney. Munster appointed South African Rassie Erasmus as the club's director of rugby in July but Foley's job title remained head coach.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 16, 2016 8:17 PM BST
A truly sad day for rugby fans everywhere. Foley is survived by his wife Olive and three children.

Racing 92 "Les supporters du Munster Rugby saluent la mémoire de Anthony Foley"
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 16, 2016 8:42 PM BST
'outrageous loss' - http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/37672789

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/tears-2006-tears-today-like-grow-killaloe-worshiping-anthony-foley/348991

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/tears-2006-tears-today-like-grow-killaloe-worshiping-anthony-foley/348991
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 16, 2016 8:43 PM BST
In the 2006 Heineken Cup final he captained the team to victory against Biarritz at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium and wrote his name in Munster history just as his father did when playing in the side that beat the All Blacks at Thomond Park 28 years earlier in the most storied Irish rugby game of them all.
Report neill d October 17, 2016 1:54 AM BST
Very sad atmosphere around Limerick tonight. Saw a few Shannon and young Munster old-timers and lads that would've played with him in a couple of pubs. People very cut up about this, understandably.

Didn't speak to him, but Keith Earls' father seemed a lovely fella, had a few words for everyone. Great winger in his day.
Report Ozymandius October 17, 2016 4:54 PM BST
an even better wing forward, Neill!

Sad news, indee
Report neill d October 17, 2016 5:56 PM BST
Sorry Ozy, he was before my time. I overheard lads talking about him, they probably said wing-forward.

Busier around last night than usual, I never normally go out on a Sunday, but was one of those evenings where people just wanted to congregate.

Those Munster teams delivered massively for Limerick, people appreciate that, even the likes of me who has criticised him plenty the last few years.
Report Ozymandius October 17, 2016 6:26 PM BST
Yeah, I can understand that sentiment.

Ger Earls was a nutter.  Very quick.  Scored a great solo try in an AIL cup final at HQ.
Report neill d October 17, 2016 7:02 PM BST
Cheers man, I'll have something to add to the conversation on him now.

Keith was supposed to bit a bit like that in his younger days but calmed down a lot, very quiet guy now.
Report mrtopnotch October 19, 2016 1:40 PM BST
RIP Axel
Lovely video tribute
http://clareherald.com/2016/10/anthony-foley-tributes-are-endless-and-heartfelt-31554
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 6, 2016 2:14 PM GMT
Played his last game as 16th man in Chicago Nov. 2016. RIP.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 19, 2016 9:04 AM GMT
6/1 vs 1/7 today in Dublin. Doubt they will go easy on us
Report kavvie November 19, 2016 10:14 PM GMT
ref and tmo were v bad. score didnt reflect the game.ireland are a very good team in the making ..some very good young talent coming up
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 1, 2017 10:05 PM GMT
After failing with three successive bids, South Africa was recommended on Tuesday as the best host for the 2023 Rugby World Cup ahead of France and Ireland.
World Rugby released a bid evaluation report by its experts and external consultants, and said South Africa was the unanimous pick.
The final decision will be made on Nov. 15 in London in a secret ballot of World Rugby council members. The recommendation by the board of Rugby World Cup Limited, a World Rugby subsidiary, is expected to be rubber-stamped, though.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-41829710?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_news_ni&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=northern_ireland

Dick Spring has said the bid "can recover from this setback" and would work hard to win the 15th November vote.
Mr Spring, a former rugby international and Irish deputy prime minister, said he did not believe the competition to win the tournament was over. "We will be having conversations and dialogue with all of the voting members of the council," he said. "Many of them have said they will take the evaluation into account but they wouldn't be bound by it, they want to make their own decision for the future of rugby.
"The very outset of the evaluation report stated very boldly that all three countries could host a successful tournament, so we're working on that basis."

Springboks v Ireland next week should be a little spicier than usual ! Can we expect Ireland to outplay SA while a Southern Hemisphere ref ignores illegal tackles and gouging by SA ! Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 1, 2017 11:21 PM GMT
Up coming matches...

Saturday, November 11 19:30 - Ireland vs South Africa Aviva Stadium, Dublin.
Saturday, November 18 19:30 - Ireland against Fiji (20:45 France play South Africa in Stade de France).
Saturday, November 25 19:30 - Ireland vs Argentina.

Saturday, December 02 16:30 - Wales vs South Africa Principality Stadium, Cardiff
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 11, 2017 10:29 AM GMT
Ireland 1/2 favs
Report peckerdunne November 11, 2017 5:19 PM GMT
I am having great difficulty trying to understand how the Boks are 5/2 here..Anyone?
Report jimeen November 11, 2017 5:37 PM GMT
I suppose the fact that it’s a meaningless match possibly makes the betting so lopsided. The fact that the Springboks couldn’t give two hoots and are more than likely drinking and riding like heroes since they arrived , while the Paddies are off for their lives.
If it was a World Cup knockout match , then South Africa would hose in, but seeing as they couldn’t care less , then the Paddy will be hard to beat.
It was good of the Irish wear almost the same colour shirts as the other crowd.
Report peckerdunne November 11, 2017 6:28 PM GMT
Brutal Boks.......as in awful...........
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 15, 2017 1:49 PM GMT
The final decision will be made on Nov. 15 in London in a secret ballot of World Rugby council members.

JUST IN...

BIG SURPRISE IN #RWC2023 ANNOUNCEMENT.....

Congratulations to France who have been awarded Rugby World Cup 2023 following World Rugby Council's vote today.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 15, 2017 1:52 PM GMT
World Rugby every bit as dirty and disgusting as FIFA, eh Whoops
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 15, 2017 1:57 PM GMT
RYDER CUP 2018 & OLYMPICS 2024 as well... Viva La France !
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 15, 2017 2:33 PM GMT
France had been dark horses going into the vote, which was overseen by Price Waterhouse Cooper, on the premise that they would overtake South Africa on the second count. In the event, at the end of the first count, France surprisingly topped the poll with 18 votes, followed by South Africa on 13 and Ireland on eight. After Ireland were eliminated, the French bid won out by 24 votes to South Africa’s 15.

On the presumption that three of those came from England, two from the North American regional association, and one each from the USA and Canadian unions, it therefore seems reasonable to presume that the Welsh and Scottish council members did not vote for a World Cup to be part hosted by their fellow UK citizens in Northern Ireland. Likewise, it is likely the Italian Federation must have voted for the French bid. How each council delegate voted remains a secret and, said World Rugby Chairman Bill Beaumont, will be up to them or the Unions to divulge if they so wish.

Again questioned about the decision to have a secret ballot, the World Rugby CEO Brett Gosper said: “There are fors and against. It’s a judgement call we made at the time. We also had advice from Fifa and the IOC. I venture that the result would have been any different had there not been a secret ballot. It meant that people could vote without fear.“ Tks to Gerry Thornley in London.
Report mrtopnotch November 17, 2017 12:45 AM GMT
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/scots-and-welsh-votes-could-have-brought-rwc-to-ireland-1.3293388

Thanks England for your solidarity and support. Wales and Scotland shafted Ireland and should hang their heads in shame.
Report jimeen November 17, 2017 7:16 AM GMT
Wales and Scotland were 100 % correct, because Ireland’s bid was a complete nonsense . 3.25 million thrown away on a ridiculous bid that hadn’t an earthly of succeeding. The paltry 8 votes they received made them the laughing stock that they actually are . Still Dick Spring and Ross got a few nights away on a freebie, so it wasn’t a complete waste.
Ireland is a dive with third world infrastructure, that couldn’t hold a tug of war.
No direct train service between major cities, no flights between the cities, no trams or trains to the grounds. And that’s just the start of it, and I’d hate to see what kind of rates the Dublin hoteliers would have been charging for busy nights, about a grand for a single in a 2 star probably.
There must be something coming up Ireland can host, is sheep shearing a sport ?, and do they have a world championship?
Report jumper3 November 17, 2017 2:28 PM GMT

Nov 17, 2017 -- 12:45AM, mrtopnotch wrote:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/scots-and-welsh-votes-could-have-brought-rwc-to-ireland-1.3293388Thanks England for your solidarity and support. Wales and Scotland shafted Ireland and should hang their heads in shame.

Why should they hang their head in shame? This was not Eurovision.

jimeen is spot on.

This is 2017. We also cannot have stadia without seating. It is not safe and is not acceptable in the real world. Media also to blame, presenting the bid as if it was a done deal. Continued lazy journalism putting the blame on the Scots and Welsh.

Anyone who has any experience of going to sporting events around the world would struggle to see how Ireland could realistically compete. I wish it were not the case but this is the sad fact. If anything, this exercise should highlight to the wider public how Ireland is behind other first world countries with infrastructure.

Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 25, 2017 1:15 PM GMT
Saturday, November 25 19:30 - Ireland vs Argentina
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 25, 2017 1:18 PM GMT
TIME 17:30
Report Catch Me ifyoucan February 3, 2018 7:28 PM GMT
Johnny SEXTON drops a legendary kick. Pure Genius !
Report olddesperado February 4, 2018 12:39 AM GMT
There are moments in sport that will live forever,  thats one,

The cross field kick before hand took balls as the game was over if we didnt retain but that kick ?

If he was 25 yards out it would still be couragous but 42 metres ffs.

I watched it on my own in sitting room which would normally mean little emotion but by jesus if gogglebox were filming me they would say i was putting on the emotion and drop me.

No matter what happens in the future that will unlikely be out of the top 3 irish sporting moments of the next decade or two.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan February 24, 2018 7:20 PM GMT
WD IRELAND as they beat Wales 37-27 in Dublin to maintain 100% record.

...and perhaps more than a tinge of joy for bonnie Scotland who 'sent him homeward' as the wheels come off the English Chariot (Swing Low sweeeeeet Chariotttttt) FT: Scotland 25-13 England

O flower of Scotland
When will we see your like again
That fought and died for
Your wee bit hill and glen
And stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again

The hills are bare now
And autumn leaves lie thick and still
O'er land that is lost now
Which those so dearly held
And stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again

Those days are passed now
And in the past they must remain
But we can still rise now
And be the nation again
That stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/967470038604304386
Report Kriskin March 10, 2018 9:08 PM GMT
A great day for Irish rugby.  Not bad for a small nation with so many other sports to compete with to get the players
Report olddesperado March 11, 2018 10:55 AM GMT
How big does that Sexton drop goal look now.

We might not even have beaten wales without the belief it gave them.
Report jumper3 March 11, 2018 12:20 PM GMT
History will show the Sexton drop goal as the turning point. Great also to see that the side has real strength in depth now as well, with competition for places. After 3/4 years of an England dominance they look to have regressed although I still wouldn't be that surprised to them denying Ireland the triple crown next weekend at Twickenham. The real test will be to aim to win 2 or 3 consecutive Six Nations Titles. In reality non that much between the teams.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 17, 2018 1:06 PM GMT
One of the only days in the year, to own a pub Laugh
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 19, 2018 1:37 AM GMT
THE GRAND SLAM in Rugby Union - when one team in the Six Nations Championship (or its Five Nations predecessor before Italy joined in 2000) beats all the others nations.

This has been achieved 39 times in total, for the first time by Wales in 1908. England have won the most GS with 13, then 11 by Wales, 9 by France, 3 by Scotland and 3 by Ireland (1948, 2009 and now 2018). In 1908–1931 and 1947–1999 (it was Five Nations) and in 2000–2016 (Six Nations) - a total of 94 seasons to date, with 10 of those wins since 2000.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 19, 2018 9:01 PM GMT
"The IRFU spent €4M in their bid to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup. They should forget all about that and spend €4M on keeping Joe Schmidt in the country so that they can actually WIN the World Cup, as opposed to just hosting it.....and the responsorial psalm is: "Joe is my shepherd, there is nothing I shall want." - Neil Francis Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 31, 2018 6:10 PM BST
You won’t see too many better individual tries, than Andrew Conway for Munster vs Toulon in the 75th minute, in Thomond Park. Devil

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/amp/rugby/watch-andrew-conway-decimates-toulon-scor...
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 31, 2018 6:11 PM BST
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/amp/rugby/watch-andrew-conway-decimates-toulon-score-dramatic-winner-munster-155429?__twitter_impression=true

Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 21, 2018 12:49 PM BST
European Champions Cup Matches
Leinster 1/5 v Scarlets - Winner Saturday 21st April 2018
Racing 92 v Munster 8/5 - Winner Sunday 22nd April 2018

Dbl pays 3.12 Hillbillys (2.93 PP) Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 21, 2018 12:51 PM BST
3.30 today and 3.15 tomoro
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now