Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
pa lapsy
22 May 15 21:15
| Topic/replies: 10,087 | Blogger: pa lapsy's blog
Off the mark with his 1st winner under rules(no bet), someone on here said he is destined to go right to the top,very early days but he may well be right. One to keep an eye on imo and well worth his claim.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View J W Kennedy(10)
Show More
Report mincer11 May 22, 2015 9:40 PM BST
A 10lb claim is massive particularly as there are riders with no claim who are worthless.
Mccullagh has no claim for one and jocks like Gary Carroll Rory Cleary Ronan Whelan are 10 a penny as well.
Report pa lapsy May 22, 2015 9:56 PM BST
It is but trying to see how it will be used is the thing,sure he could be the real deal and very likely without the claim. Mallow seemed odd with the sprints,the high no's looked to have a bit of an advantage(think that was traditional) but if i didn't know better it looked as if it was possibly watered unevenly.
Report pa lapsy November 29, 2015 3:55 PM GMT
You were right Never Give Up, a serious talent.
Report frank60 November 29, 2015 4:03 PM GMT
I thought he rode a fine race on Bless the wings, One to keep a eye on.
Report pa lapsy November 29, 2015 4:11 PM GMT
9 wins from 21 rides for the last two weeks, youngfella is rockin.
Report callitasucit November 29, 2015 8:15 PM GMT
I be very worried about how quickly they are allowing him go through his claim.

An unbelievable talent, but if he was my lad I would be trying to teach him plenty more, and let him garner more experience before he has to compete on level terms. Keep the claim for the big days....and keep it for a good while longer.
Report newapproach November 29, 2015 8:25 PM GMT
It looks like they are mindful of keeping his claim for valuable races recently in fairness.  6 of his last 9 wins have come in races worth over €15,000 in the last 2 weeks. I'd say Elliot was even taken aback by the amount of winners he rode in the space of a couple of weeks  since he came back from injury in the summer.
Report callitasucit November 29, 2015 8:36 PM GMT
True enough.

I still think they should be thinking longer term for him. Put him some yokes that he will earn his corn on, and learn his trade a bit longer before he goes toe to toe on level terms.

DKW basically culled Leigh Roche winners for years, as he felt he wasn't ready. Roche is now reaping the benefits.

Jack is going to be top top class, but If I were his parents I would prefer a steadier rise to the top.
Report one last chance November 29, 2015 8:45 PM GMT
Just after watching rte racing back there and Elliot was saying he is going tru his claim quickly a will have to stop him riding for othersq
Report pa lapsy November 29, 2015 8:48 PM GMT
Nice they are giving him a bit of "road" as well though, he is mad for it at that age and really seems to be enjoying himself.
Worth watching out for in the big Christmas handicaps and very probably when he is only a few off losing it.
Seems a likeable youngfella.
Report newapproach November 29, 2015 8:49 PM GMT
It would definitely be to his long term advantage to keep his claim for as long as possible but i'd imagine it would be difficult explaining that to a 16 year old kid who has the oppertunity to ride all these big winners. I'd say the best they can do is utilise his claim for the more valuable races like Andrew Balding with Oisin Murphy when he banned him riding in races below a certain value.

With Elliott, he can probably ride a few non-jiggers in these races and still get race riding experience around some of our tighter tracks. It will be exciting to see what he rides in the conditional riders race at Cheltenham. They probably have a good thing lined up for it alreadyTongue Out

Roche's case was different in that he obviously wasn't as good as Kennedy and wasn't half as sought after. Elliot has to provide decent rides for him as he knows all of the top stable would give their right arm for a conditional of his ability. Is he elgiable to ride in bumpers like David Mullins did and meyler is doing recently. His 5lb claim would be like gold-dust against the amateurs.
Report Arklearkle November 29, 2015 9:31 PM GMT
The problem is they would all have fierce trouble finding all those non-jiggers for him to get experience on!
Report workrider November 29, 2015 10:01 PM GMT
He's a fine jockey ,but still a little weak imo, a diamond that needs more polishing,his positional sense is second to none, but he's still a little weak in a finish . Hopefully he will emerge intact when his claim is finished,thats the real test, riding at levels against the best and winning is the proof of the pudding .
Report mincer11 November 29, 2015 10:04 PM GMT
If you could give one single example of such weakness then i would be amazed.
Report neill d November 29, 2015 10:13 PM GMT
Be interesting to see if he and Mullins both stay in Ireland, they could both probably end up as stable jocks for Henderson and Nicholls. You'd think Cooper now and eventually Townend will be the men in possession for a fair old while. Massive dearth of talent in the UK NH ranks.

Thought Harry Cobden looked a little weak on the strong staying Virak at Doncaster yesterday. He's the best of what they have over there I'd say & he's light years behind the pair we have here.

Colin Keane on the flat is excellent as well, very good crop of jocks coming through.
Report workrider November 29, 2015 10:15 PM GMT
I backed Riverside City last week ,it won , have a look at the race from the 3nd last,he never looked strong enough to to get it up  untill after the faller at the last made it easier for him.I like the lad a lot,just think we are blinded to his limitations atm.
Report mincer11 November 29, 2015 10:22 PM GMT
Wonks, you said he was weak in a finish and I asked you to point one out and you are on about the third last. What are you on about?, and what about his win on Prince Of Scars, what have you got to say about that?.
Weak in a finish my hole
Report The Gotchee November 29, 2015 10:35 PM GMT
Mite and PowerExcitedLaugh
Report mincer11 November 29, 2015 10:55 PM GMT
^^^^^^ village signing in^^^^ The Jamie Vardy of tipping ew losers ^^^^^
Report snap crackle and pop November 29, 2015 11:23 PM GMT
LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report newapproach November 30, 2015 7:13 AM GMT
Neill makes a valid point about the english conditional. Look @ Liam McKenna who hardly set the world alight over here but is now riding winners for Harry Fry in England. I thought Jack Sherwood was very good last year but I haven't seen much of him this year, he must be injured presumably?
Report workrider November 30, 2015 1:52 PM GMT
Mincer ,the reason for looking at the 3nd last was he position , I credited him with positional sense ,as they jumped the last he was the one who looked like a claimer,the faller wasthe winner imo ,as I've said hes a real good lad, but we seem blinded to the fact hes not Ruby or even your mate Davy .
Report Bigwillystyle November 30, 2015 2:31 PM GMT
Wonks to my eye he had not really gone for the horse before the last and was waiting to give it his all after that.  Think he is a lazy horse and would have won regardless.
He may not be as strong as Ruby or Davy in a finish(Not many are) but he is as strong as a lot of them out there.
Report mincer11 November 30, 2015 3:32 PM GMT
Well wonks he is a far better rider at 16 years of age than Davy Russell was, and hes  a better rider than many non claiming pro's already.
You said he was the weak one in a finish even though he won, and then you said he looked like a claimer, you are talking a whole heap of nonsense.
Report workrider November 30, 2015 5:02 PM GMT
As I already said I think we are getting carried away with ourselves here, a little like the J Burke episode a while back,more recently young D Mullins was the bees knees,now this lad is king for a day . We are blessed with fine talent coming through every season it seems,wonderful young lads plying their trade, S. Shorthall anyone remember him ?. We seem to think every one of them are the second coming .Time to get real, enjoy them while we can , but for heavens sake cut out the bull.
Report Bigwillystyle November 30, 2015 5:14 PM GMT
Ah in fairness Wonks this kid is a bit special.  No offence to J Burke but he wouldnt be fit to lace his boots and the same goes for Shorthall.

Do you not think this fella could be as good as Russell and Walsh cos he is far better than they were at 16 years old.
Report workrider November 30, 2015 5:24 PM GMT
No is the short answer BWS, I'm sick of hearing about how wonderful this and that 10lb claimer is , is he a bit special ,of course he is. its just the hypebole never seems to end , if this kid starts to believe his own publicity he's in big trouble .The Irish forum is unreal for this sort of stuff , sure its only a while ago you had certain clowns on here saying Cooper was finished .
Report TellTheKing November 30, 2015 5:52 PM GMT
In fairness now WR, you could hardly say Jonny Burke has been a flop (albeit he'll never be Ruby). Same goes for David Mullins. These two along with Kennedy are the future top jumps riders.

The likes of Shane Shortall, Donagh Meyler and Luke Dempsey are fine riders too but Mullins and Kennedy are a bit special. In an industry where mediocrity is regularly the standard it's no harm to herald the real top class prospects.
Report workrider November 30, 2015 6:02 PM GMT
I don't have a problem with greatness TTK, in fact I'm a lover of it ,if you care to bring back the J Burke thread you'll notice the same sort of love in thats here, D Mullins seems to have had his riding reduced and not riding in every bumper under the sun .When these lads come of age and are riding at levels with their peers and are still riding winners  at a above average % then I might applaud from the terraces ,untill then I'd prefare to enjoy them before crowning them kings .
Report mincer11 November 30, 2015 6:10 PM GMT
David Mullins is possibly a better rider than Kennedy but more importantly for him is better positioned to get a good job than him also. His relationship with the top trainer will see to that.
When Kennedy does ride out his claim, hes going to have to get a good job and they arent many of them around. Mullins McManus Gigginstown are the only shows in town and after that you are in trouble. Apart from that you have to go to Britain and its there he make his mark, because Johnson cant ride for ever, Sam Twiston is barely hanging on id imagine, and Henderson could do with a top jockey also.
As for guys like Shortall Meyler Dempsey, they wouldnt hold these other young fellas coats.
Report Bigwillystyle November 30, 2015 6:13 PM GMT
There is no doubt that they will go through tough patches but these two are far to good not to be in the top 3 riders in the country in the next 5 years of they keep sound.
Report Bigwillystyle November 30, 2015 6:14 PM GMT
Wonks Mullins can't ride in bumpers anymore.
Report workrider November 30, 2015 6:22 PM GMT
I know that BWS ,that was just a statement in words , his rides have been reduced ,he had very few rides over the weekend , as had Burke ,when they were claiming 5lbs or more they were always in demand . Now things are leveling out,as I said already , if these lads are getting the same amount of rides AFTER they have ridden out their claims that will be the proof of the pudding.
Report mincer11 November 30, 2015 6:47 PM GMT
How in the love of jesus could they get rides yesterday ?
Four single figure graded races where neither would be allowed claim, it is a testament to how good David mullins is that he rode in 2 of them. The card finished with a bumper as usual, so that leaves the two handicaps, one of which Kennedy won.
Burke rides for Potts and he had no runner yesterday, so thats self explanatory.
Wonks, with every post you make less sense.
Report The Gotchee November 30, 2015 7:03 PM GMT
Kennedy is a good young claimer, nothing more. Good value at the moment but nothing special.
He has no chance of landing a decent job in Ireland, when his claim expires. His best option is to go to England, a la McCoy, where meritocracy rather than nepotism prevails.
Report mincer11 November 30, 2015 7:08 PM GMT
^^^^^^^ Jamie Vardy on to give his pal Wonks a hand out^^^^^^
Talk about the frying pan and the fire.
Report snap crackle and pop November 30, 2015 7:22 PM GMT
LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report The Gotchee November 30, 2015 7:26 PM GMT
Report workrider November 30, 2015 10:13 PM GMT
Mincer , been selective as usual , Sat fairy , 11.40 18 rn b/chase no rides for either , 12 40 16 rn h/chase Kenneddy has a ride , 1.10 m/hurdle 20 rns Mullins , even B Cash had a ride in this ffs. Out of 53 rns they have 2 rides between them .
Report pa lapsy November 30, 2015 11:18 PM GMT
It is only 6 months since he rode his 1st winner still what an exceptional start in a very competitive environment at this present time, maybe argued he is lucky he is mostly with Elliott but a stellar rise all the same in the timespan.
Know the big jobs are taken here at the moment but surely he is heading towards the top of the list for some,not sure a UK move would be a good one personally as currently plenty of good horses on these shores and the better ones in the UK seem to me to be spread out over many stables with no stable there being very strong.
Report neill d December 1, 2015 12:56 AM GMT
If Joseph makes a good job out of Pilltown, that could be a very good opening for one of them (Mark Walsh is 29 & presume Geraghty will only be around for another few years).

If you knew for a fact Kennedy was going to England in the relatively near future (2 years odd), I wouldn't be wildly surprised to see him become Champion Jockey in his first season over there. STD as Nicholls stable jock is a testament to this, the really talented guys like O'Regan & dare I say it Paddy Brennan have mentality issues. Scudamore has come on from a low base, Johnson wouldn't worry you at this stage, Coleman is a solid weekday guy but I've never seen him on a good horse. Gavin Sheehan might be the most promising currently over there (nice stable too) but I remember him as prone to some of the annoying stuff Brennan does. Skelton seems to be throwing out elaborate hugs and pats to every chase winner he has, maybe a nerve issue, while Jacob had the chance to do it if he was going to.

Is there anyone there presently capable of what Walsh did on Champagne Fever in the Supreme, or Geraghty on Riverside Theatre in the Ryanair? No

In fact, there really ain't much over there at all relative to when the above two and McCoy were all nearer prime 5 or 6 years ago.

Think Henderson and Nicholls should make moves for any of the top Irish lads as and when they come available. Look at the difference Geraghty made taking over from a pretty shot Mick Fitz and the trouble Nicholls has had replacing Walsh. Townend has looked a class apart on some very tricky jumpers  whenever he has gone over.
Report pa lapsy December 1, 2015 11:16 AM GMT
Things seem to go in cycles imo Neill,maybe it isn't any coincidence that the UK jocks seem poor enough as the horses certainly seem to be,there isn't a decent hurdler over there, Sprinter,Smad,Cue Card and Coneygree are the best of their chasers,with the Mullins "novices" and Don they are matched.Accept he can't get on them.
Even now young Jack is picking up decent pots though way off top tier,not sure would it "pay" him to be chasing the UKs Saturday equivalent pots.
Report neill d December 1, 2015 11:42 AM GMT
That's a good point alright Pa, I forgot Noel Fehily who might be the best jockey riding over there. I'm interested to see how DeBoinville gets on this season as well. Henderson is a good-timer and this toff lad seems to be the stable jock now, never seen him do much wrong, though.
Report pa lapsy December 1, 2015 12:19 PM GMT
Certainly a golden age for Irish NH Neill with the good ones being kept and not being exported and clever buying with deep pockets of French imports, i never thought i,d see the day. We must be odds on for "The Prestbury Cup" Excited despite only having a quarter or so of the runners. Lopsided regarding stabling but still a good thing overall,hopefully it can be kept going.
All he has to is do what he is doing and a bit of patience will see to the rest.
Report neill d December 1, 2015 12:44 PM GMT
Amazing really and strictly in terms of quality rather than competitiveness, the Irish Sunday ards are usually better than the UK Saturday equivalents.
Report pa lapsy December 7, 2017 3:02 PM GMT
Quite an astonishing piece of horsemanship by him in the 2.35 today.
Report punchestown December 7, 2017 5:20 PM GMT
Quality effort from the young lad and then to go on and win it Cool
Report pa lapsy December 7, 2017 5:39 PM GMT
Well worth a look for anyone that missed it.

2 seasons it took him to arguably have the best job in racing,you see v rarely someone get back from that position on a horse,he should have been off,bit of luck with coming up against the one in yellow colours but few could do it.
Report pa lapsy December 7, 2017 8:32 PM GMT
Hard luck Frank,your reply has been deemed null and void, fail to see reason, over and out.
Happy Christmas and good luck.
Report frank60 December 7, 2017 9:59 PM GMT
TY Pa   here we go again                   Seeing is beliveing.  well done Jack    https://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/2017/1207/925733-watch-jack-kennedys-miracul...
Report cloone river December 7, 2017 10:47 PM GMT
Jack at his best.After years of racing never seen a recovery like it.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now