Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
monksfield2
19 Sep 10 21:02
| Topic/replies: 89 | Blogger: monksfield2's blog
I just noticed that six of the winners at Wolverhampton on Friday night were ridden by former Irish champion apprentices (Gannon 2, Queally 2, O'Shea 1, Spencer 1).  This prompted me to check the whereabouts of ex-champions since Pat Smullen won the title in 1996.  With the recent departure of Emmet McNamara, all bar triple champion Chris Hayes and the reigning champion Gary Carroll are now based across the water.  If they have not already gone through a card somewhere between them, it is presumably only a matter of time until it happens.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View What happens to Irish champion...
Show More
Report Anaglogs Daughter September 20, 2010 1:31 PM BST
R.A.C.E Has been cancelled without notice. Gardai were called in to investigate bullying and inappropiate behaivour by staff towards Trainee jockeys.
The course for this years schedule intake of 32 trainees has been cancelled without notice FAS decided to withdraw funding. FAS provided up to E350,000 in funds last year along with E600,000 that was funded by Horseracing Ireland.
Apparently at the end of each season the trainees are asked to fill in confidential evaluation forms and up to ten trainees had written complaints. Mentioned was an incident were a comment was made in a shower room that FAS felt should be investigated by An Garda.
Report soapp September 20, 2010 5:55 PM BST
It won't be missed. The best training is done on the flapping circuit.
Report Little Des September 21, 2010 8:24 AM BST
Statement regarding Trainee Jockey course 2010/2011
17th Sep 2010

Trainee Jockey course postponed at RACE

The Racing Academy & Centre of Education (RACE) has decided to postpone the 2010/2011 Trainee Jockey Course due to a review by FAS of the delivery of the programme.

Commenting on the decision, RACE Director Keith Rowe said : ''Unfortunately, the commencement of this year's course was delayed due to a review by FAS and this has led to a fundamental re-think by FAS senior management on the delivery structure of this course. A process is underway to establish a workable model for the future of this highly-successful training programme.''

"The situation is very regrettable and we are sorry for the inconvenience and disappointment caused but the decision was outside our control. We conducted the trials and selection process for the course in the expectation of continued funding.'' 

''We will be entering a review process with FAS, and our other stakeholders, including Horse Racing Ireland, to try and establish a workable model for the future of the Trainee Jockey course. However, this process is likely to take  a period of months and we must reluctantly accept that this year's course will not now proceed. All the participants and their families have been contacted and arrangements are being made in most cases for them to return to school".

It is hoped that many of the selected participants will be able to re-apply in the future should the course be offered again next year.

ENDS

For more information contact:

Keith Rowe

Director, RACE

Curragh House

Dublin Road

Kildare

keith.rowe@racingacademy.ie

Tel: 045-522468

Fax: 045-521305

www.racingacademy.ie
Report workrider September 21, 2010 11:53 AM BST
soapp , i'm sorry you feel that way about race . it was the brainchild of michael osborne , my first night in kildare was spent in that wonderful old house beside the chilling factory .my dear departed friend derek o sullivan was entrusted  with the job . i'm sure there are many jockeys who set out on the journey to become champions who owe him a big thank you  , he was like a father to lots of them and was always trying to get the best for them . he helped bring irish flat jockeys right up to the standard of their british and european counterparts , while irish nh jockeys were always regarded as been the best, it wasen't like that for the flat lads till derek and his team changed it. ireland has been repaid many times over the pittance it put into helping these lads .many champions past and present have passed through the doors of race .its a sad time for irish racing imo .
Report guru m September 21, 2010 11:42 PM BST
what happened in the shower room?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now