Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
glentoby
11 Feb 19 20:09
| Topic/replies: 7,407 | Blogger: glentoby's blog
In any role,do you think they have made a difference to the sport and if so who stands out in your opinion? On the other hand are there womenn you think are superfluous to the sport and only in their role because of gender?

And to be clear,I hope for plenty of positives.

My own heroine is the "Cuddly One" Jenny Pitman whom I think more than any woman transformed the attitude within the sport,not only with her achievements as a trainer but as a woman who was abandoned by a man who's attitude belonged to a time best forgotten.Her determination,dedication and sheer guts got her to the pinnacle of the sport plenty of men failed at without the drawbacks she endured and had priveleges she never had,in addition she raised her children in a way that would shame some parents of the modern day.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View WOMEN IN RACING PAST and...
Show More
Report glentoby February 11, 2019 10:43 PM GMT
Only sexists,tranny's and sycophants left on here then?Cry
Report Adelaide February 11, 2019 11:02 PM GMT
I agree about Jenny Pitman, although she may not have been popular with her contemporaries, as the late Peter Walwyn once said to me... you can admire her, but you didn't have to like her...

The Queen/Queen Mother..

Their patronisation of the sport gives/gave it an air of accepted authority, especially amongst women I think... they make/made it o.k. to indulge in the sport, they attract/attracted women to it, flat/NH... in such a way that you could enjoy the experience without appearing to be interested in betting [even if they were]…

Hayley Turner..

She showed British racegoers that a woman can ride with the best of them and win, and keep doing so for a considerable length of time.. the commitment was there... I would like to have seen her get a plum ride in the Derby, in the hope of making history... I don't think she ever rode in the race... correct me if wrong...  other female jockeys tend not to say around long enough... leaving out American ladies like Julie Krone etc.. who few would have heard of over here.

My late mother..
She saw nothing wrong in me having my first bet when the shops opened in 1961..  she was the first in the queue in any case...

Lots of others... and yes of course they've made a difference to the sport... a huge difference.. it would be a weird situation now if there were no lady jockeys..
Report glentoby February 11, 2019 11:31 PM GMT
Hi Adelaide,great answer in many respects,not least because you have just replied as you see thing.As for Peter Walwyn I can safely say he was of the same school as Richard and he did not know Jenny as well as I did or if he thought he did he disrespected her.

I have met few nicer people throughout my life or more genuine,caring or honest than Jenny Pitman which pretty much sums up Peter Walwyn and many more imvho.
Report glentoby February 11, 2019 11:32 PM GMT
As for Hayley Turner,she should keep to the saddle imvho?
Report Adelaide February 11, 2019 11:38 PM GMT
Oh yes I don't doubt that regarding Mr Walwyn, I suspect the feeling was probably mutual...
As for her husband, I never liked him much on the t.v. as a paddock commentator, but he did make me laugh when he was in the studio on RUK interviewed by Luke Harvey a while ago... it was repeated recently... to give credit where due, I thought he had a great sense of humour and some great recollections... but then so would Jenny and many more besides..   

Hayley... yes she's not the best on t.v. as a pundit,  but then there are plenty of men I don't like too much either.. most I would say..
Lydia Hislop is way ahead of the game and should be better known outside of RUK... but she doesn't seem to be mainstream material for some reason..
Report salmon spray February 11, 2019 11:46 PM GMT
Mary reveley
Queen Anne
Hayley Turner
Lydia Hislop
All got their flawa but all have played an important part in GB racing imo.
Report mouse muldoon February 12, 2019 12:00 AM GMT
Nell Gwynn
Report GEORGE.B February 12, 2019 12:11 AM GMT
thread's been up 3 hours and no one's mentioned Edna Bolger yet Shocked
Report glentoby February 12, 2019 12:15 AM GMT
Amazing and I have to say humbled by not only your response Adelaide but your obvious seniority in terms of this forum.You have probably seen and forgotten more than most in all respects among this varied spectrum.

You must have tales to tell and I think I would be secure in asking you to tell a few without any idiotic members being over zealous in response?
Report saxon farm February 12, 2019 12:53 AM GMT
Is this the without Dorothy Paget  market?
Report glentoby February 12, 2019 1:03 AM GMT
LOL the yes without,DP,sheep on the course............but Charlotte Brew included.

This could well sum up the mentality or worth of this forum?

e.g Adelaide is just an old woman or else someone worth hearing,im in the latter camp which sets both of us apart from being old and/or moronic.................but thats just an opinion waiting to be tackled?
Report Steamship February 12, 2019 1:22 AM GMT
Criquette Head-Mareek
Report Ramruma February 12, 2019 9:31 AM GMT
The Queen Mother has been mentioned by @Adelaide earlier in this thread but it should also be remembered she lent respectability to National Hunt racing in particular in the decades after the war. The winter game was very much a minority interest compared to the Flat.
Report irishone February 12, 2019 9:40 AM GMT
why are you putting this up as a thread ?

it doesn't matter to any owner or trainer or jockey or groom
all they want is a winner
Report ptlish February 12, 2019 11:21 PM GMT
Yes why this thread ? showing your age and ignorance, an empathy with horses is whats required not whats between your legs !
Report sparrow February 13, 2019 6:52 AM GMT
ptlish    12 Feb 19 23:21 
Yes why this thread ?

Like most of his threads.........Attention seeking.
Report EastLower Gooner February 13, 2019 7:32 AM GMT
Glen...sorry to go off tangent.

Google Peter Boghossian when you get a chance.

As an experiment he submitted a paper for peer review whereby he took Mein Kampf and replaced some of the words with Feminist buzzwords.

The paper was widely applauded and out forward for awards until he explained what was going on.

Sums up all you need to know about their wacky ideology.

-
Report blackbarn February 13, 2019 10:14 AM GMT
Norah Wilmott and Florence Nagle without whom there would have been no female racehorse trainers. Granted licences in 1966
Report Adelaide February 13, 2019 11:45 AM GMT
Wilmott and Nagle didn't have the outreach beyond racing though, nor did Auriol Sinclair... the same could also be said of Paget and Mrs Rank... I'm not sure they attracted people, women especially to the sport back in the day... few could relate to that sort of thing..

Clare Balding is another I would put forward who unfortunately has left racing behind somewhat... can't blame her for that, moving into the mainstream where the money is... Titchmarsh did the same from gardening... but if you put Balding, Alex Hammond and Ed - whose name I've forgotten who does ITV, together, most people out there would only know Balding..
She took risks, occasional gaffes - which would have gone unnoticed if made by a man in my opinion...  but she was not afraid to ask questions..
In the modern age, she's a great loss to racing I think..
Report blackbarn February 13, 2019 11:54 AM GMT
Adelaide -  Your question was "In any role,do you think they have made a difference to the sport and if so who stands out in your opinion?".

I answered your question.  If you think NW and FN don't qualify as answers, that is your prerogative

By changing the nature of the question, you are in danger of appearing to be a self-opinionated pill ock.
Report sparrow February 13, 2019 11:54 AM GMT
Helen Johnson Houghton who trained a classic winner Gilles De Retz in 1956 under her assistants name as the jockey club did not recognise lady trainers.
Report blackbarn February 13, 2019 11:56 AM GMT
Oops - your question = the questionBlush  My point remainsWink
Report Adelaide February 13, 2019 12:31 PM GMT
I didn't ask any question..  I'm merely commenting..on the questions asked...
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com