Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
differentdrum
02 Sep 18 16:10
| Topic/replies: 6,584 | Blogger: differentdrum's blog
And what was the reason she ran there?
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Besides Park Top Have Any Other...
Show More
Report themightymac September 2, 2018 4:17 PM BST
Sheikh Mohammed had his first UK winner there with Hatta.
Report GLASGOWCALLING September 2, 2018 4:21 PM BST
one eyed horse BELPER was one of my favs. Happy
Report stewarts rise September 2, 2018 4:23 PM BST
Shakiri's Son won 9 races before winning the Stewards cup at Goodwood for Ken White, the one eyed Belper also won a fair few races there. Megalala won 8 races for Bridger.
Report domino14 September 2, 2018 4:28 PM BST
I can't remember it's name but there was a horse of Amanda Perrett's who won a handicap in blinkers for the first time, in the Hesmonds Stud colours. Went on to be a Premier Handicapper.
Report domino14 September 2, 2018 4:31 PM BST
Bulwark was the horse I was thinking of, he actually got beat at Brighton coming 2nd, but ended up a top class staying handicapper and was 4th in a big staying race to Sargent Cecil.
Report stewarts rise September 2, 2018 4:45 PM BST
They used to run a Derby trial at Brighton in the 60s and although it never produced a Derby winner, it did produce 2 St Leger winers Hethersett(fell when fav for the Derby) and Sodium.
Report themightymac September 2, 2018 4:46 PM BST
I`m pretty sure that the great stayer and Champion Hurdler Brown Jack won there but I may be wrong.
Report Tallywagger. September 2, 2018 4:57 PM BST
Did Cacoethes run at Brighton? Third in Nahwan's Derby.
Report sparrow September 2, 2018 5:09 PM BST
Sodium was a hell of a good horse.
Report themightymac September 2, 2018 5:26 PM BST
The Brighton Derby Trial was quite a prominent race in history but none of the winners triumphed at Epsom. Although a few of them won the Leger. Cauthen rode his 1000th winner there but I can`t remember the horse.
Report Oldgit1 September 2, 2018 5:30 PM BST
Sodium did not have much success at stud.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 2, 2018 10:27 PM BST
The champion sprinter Reputation carried 11-7 to victory at Brighton back in the 19th century.

Sampower Star was the subject of a right old gamble on its debut in a 6f seller there in 1998. It was trained by Rod Simpson at the time, and inevitably he somehow managed to get it beaten in a photo.

Tayseer was rated just 72 when Dandy Nicholls claimed it after it had won over a mile at Brighton for the equally unfortunate Willie Muir. Twelve months later it was rated 102, when it ran in the Diadem Stakes and finished half a length second to none other than Sampower Star.

Zomaradah, Seazun and Valentine Waltz are all fillies who got off the mark in Brighton maidens.
Report foxy September 3, 2018 7:19 AM BST
tallywagger

yes he did run at brighton whilst he did run 3rd in nashwans derby his best run was when 2nd to the same horse in the 89 king george both horses were never the same afterwards after having such a hard race.
Report kevo September 3, 2018 9:53 AM BST
I was at Brighton when Park Top won the Brighton Cup (handicap) and as far as I can remember she carried 9st:10lb and won easily. It may have been when she won it for the second time as a 4yo, Scobie Breasley was also riding at the meeting.
Report ged September 3, 2018 10:02 AM BST
I was at Brighton one day in August 1966 when Piggott had 4 winners, one of which was on a 2yo filly of Noel Murless's making its debut called Royal Saint. She won that day, and won her only other 2yo race. She then won the Fred Darling, but was unplaced in the 1000 Guineas behind her stable companion Fleet. She looked like winning the Coronation Stakes at Ascot, but was run down close home by Fleet. She was ridden in all those races by Piggott, but George Moore was on Fleet as Murless had sacked Piggott for choosing to ride MVOB's Valoris in the 1966 Oaks over his own Varinia.

In the following race at Brighton that day, Piggott won again on a 3yo filly called Loose Cover (for Sam Armstrong) who was winning her 4th race in a row. In her previous race, over the same Brighton C/D, she'd set the world record for a turf mile. I'm not sure whether it still stands.
Report TheAnorak September 3, 2018 10:03 AM BST
Here's the card for Park Top running in the Brighton Challenge Cup as a 3-y-old - 8st 2lbs and she'd already won the Ribblesdale!

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=BlxAAAAAIBAJ&sjid=c6MMAAAAIBAJ&pg=6103%2C263021
Report ged September 3, 2018 10:25 AM BST
In 1923, a disappointing 4yo called Werwolf won a little race at Brighton off 7 st 7lb. It was his first win in 14 races, and he only won one other race in his career. As a 6yo, he ran in the first ever race run at Bournemouth, a track that only raced for 4 years, in a selling hurdle, and finished 2nd (the jockey who rode him that day, Monty Rayson, who was 20 at the time, died on his honeymoon in Boulogne 4 years later following an operation on his throat). At stud, Werwolf did rather better, and is one of only 2 horses to sire the winners of a Champion Hurdle, a Cheltenham Gold Cup, and a Grand National.
Report dunlaying September 3, 2018 10:31 AM BST
George Todd thought Sodium was unlucky not to win at Epsom . I think the horse choked around Tattenham .
Report ged September 3, 2018 11:29 AM BST
The Derby Trial at Brighton that was won by Sodium was meant to be Charlottown's seasonal debut. He was odds-on in the papers that day, but was found lame in his box on the morning of the race, so didn't run. The race was run on the Monday, and Charlottown recovered well enough to run in The Lingfield trial instead, 4 days later, in which he finished 2nd to Black Prince having been given a lot to do in the straight.
Report differentdrum September 3, 2018 11:47 AM BST
Was that handicap that Park Top won worth a lot of money (relatively) and what happened to the Derby Trial as from the above it seemed to attract some good horses?

Royal Saint produced a decent horse in Classic Example and herself was a full sister to Altesse Royale and half sister to Yaroslav who I seem to remember was something of a talking horse.
Report ged September 3, 2018 12:03 PM BST
The Brighton Challenge Cup that year was worth more than the Queen Anne and Jersey Stakes, though not as much as the Coronation and Ribblesdale.
Report ged September 3, 2018 12:27 PM BST
As for the Brighton Derby Trial, it was first run in 1961. Not run in 1965, it's last year may have been 1967. It's value was in the same ball park as the Challenge Cup.

Murless was quoted as saying that Yaroslav was more like Crepello (the sire of Bleu Azur, dam of Yaroslav), than any other horse he had had (and he had had plenty by that sire, who he had trained), so it was probably that comment that raised expectations above what would be normal for a Royal Lodge winner, albeit a half-brother to Altesse Royale. Bleu Azur also threw Imperial Prince, 2nd in both Epsom and Irish Derbies. All offspring raced in the colours of the Hue-Williams's, either white 'V' on scarlet, or other way around.
Report kevo September 3, 2018 1:11 PM BST
ged did you ever now Gerald Delamere?
Report kevo September 3, 2018 1:17 PM BST
*know
Report ged September 3, 2018 1:52 PM BST
kev - no, never met him.
Report sparrow September 3, 2018 1:58 PM BST
Some old favourites on that Brighton card that Anorak posted. Cabouchon, Offspring and Royal Rubicon to name a few.
Report TheAnorak September 3, 2018 3:06 PM BST
Kev,

I met Gerald a few times on course and once had lunch with him and Kenny Pitterson in the restaurant at Salisbury - coincidentally that would have been at the meeting that comes up on Thursday this week, featuring the Dick Poole Stakes.
Report kevo September 3, 2018 3:43 PM BST
TheAnorak,

I never met Gerald personally but often saw him at the parade ring taking notes and I used to like his horses to note column in the racing post. Kenny Pitterson another well known face along with your goodself.
Report dunlaying September 7, 2018 5:14 PM BST
I think Brigust1 said he took Grey Of Falloden to Brighton .
Report sparrow September 7, 2018 5:22 PM BST
dunlaying..........re Grey of Falloden and Brighton.......

http://community.betfair.com/horse_racing/go/thread/view/94102/26698853/?liveView=0&pg=2
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now