Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Rollo Tomasi
22 Jul 18 17:24
| Topic/replies: 2,256 | Blogger: Rollo Tomasi's blog
Commentating is a sedentary job, absolutely no need for Dessie to retire today when he is only 70. He has at least another 10 years of top notch commentating in him (Nap).

Signed

Rollo Tomasi
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View ** PETITION ** Bring back Dessie Scahill
Show More
Report scaredmoney July 22, 2018 5:29 PM BST
this will be a short list of names imo
Report acey deucy July 22, 2018 5:36 PM BST
Signed.
Report MJK July 22, 2018 5:37 PM BST
Couldn't agree more with op. And ATR a disgrace, they show his interview just before a race is off and cut him off. Shambles.
Report Lampus July 22, 2018 6:44 PM BST
signed
Report onlooker July 22, 2018 6:58 PM BST
Not at all so sure about - "at least another 10 years of top notch commentating in him (NAP)"

Wouldn't back that at 1000 - about anybody,

Peter O'Sullevan went on for far too long - and it certainly showed.

Became embarrassing for everybody, not just himself.
Report mouse muldoon July 22, 2018 7:22 PM BST
Bring back Dessie Wotsisname.
Report scaredmoney July 22, 2018 8:04 PM BST
onlooker knows

went on for far too long...same as John "oh its a goal" Motson
Report NOW WE KNOW July 22, 2018 9:25 PM BST
Ageism is rife RT. 112 is the new 62.
Report GEORGE.B July 22, 2018 9:38 PM BST
Interview in the RP today, he said he genuinely won't miss the racing much, but will miss the cheque at the end of the month Plain

Towards the end of the piece he goes on about money again, saying his wife is now the breadwinner and he'll be a kept man.
Report GEORGE.B July 22, 2018 9:39 PM BST
I admire his honesty.
Report Ramruma July 23, 2018 5:42 AM BST
Now that Dessie's gone, how will we distinguish between in-running players who could read a race (or at least recognise the colours) and those who relied on what the commentator says?

On the one hand, Dessie did make too many ****-ups and should have stepped down years ago. On the other, one can't help feeling sorry for the man about the crass way he has been publicly forced out. On the third hand, one or two of the soft soap interviews have found some interesting reminiscences. Maybe a fast-working Irish ghost-writer can get Dessie's autobiography on the shelves in time for Christmas.
Report mouse muldoon July 23, 2018 8:11 AM BST
fast-working Irish ghost-writer

oxymoron?
Report MJK July 23, 2018 12:27 PM BST
Chapman having a cheap shot on his last day was low but typical of him.
Report cardenden July 23, 2018 12:28 PM BST
rather have matt chapman
Report MJK July 23, 2018 12:30 PM BST
So would Chapman
Report Rollo Tomasi July 23, 2018 1:38 PM BST
Ramruma
23 Jul 18 05:42
On the one hand, Dessie did make too many ****-ups and should have stepped down years ago

I don't know what you are talking about Ramruna. Anybody knows that when it comes to commentating visibility is key. For your information it rains a lot in Ireland. Add to this their larger field sizes due to less meetings and such as McManus/Gigginstown running 18 horses in the same race, makes commentating there very difficult. Dessie had a 99.27% accuracy rate and I doubt any other commentator would have come close to the maestro.
Report jmdc July 23, 2018 1:47 PM BST
Thanks Dessie - just go now please.  The accuracy rate you quote is absolute bollocks!
Report Rollo Tomasi July 23, 2018 2:18 PM BST
jmdc,
I am not Dessie, nor is he me.
Report Barton Bank July 23, 2018 3:43 PM BST
RT is a happy fisherman imo.
Report Rollo Tomasi July 23, 2018 4:11 PM BST
Good afternoon BB.

"Happy" does not describe my mood about the sad demise of a commentating great. I watched a Dessieless race yesterday and wondered if they had recruited the commentator from a mortuary slab, no verve at all.
Report Barton Bank July 23, 2018 4:18 PM BST
Good afternoon, get that hook away from me!
Report cardenden July 23, 2018 4:34 PM BST
at least if they did let chapman  do the coms,,  he would not be afraid to tell it how it is,,  dodgy rides  etc
Report MJK July 23, 2018 5:13 PM BST

Jul 23, 2018 -- 4:34PM, cardenden wrote:

at least if they did let chapman

Report MJK July 23, 2018 5:18 PM BST

Jul 23, 2018 -- 4:11PM, Rollo Tomasi wrote:

Good afternoon BB."Happy" does not describe my mood about the sad demise of a commentating great. I watched a Dessieless race yesterday and wondered if they had recruited the commentator from a mortuary slab, no verve at all.

Tony O'Hehir has a great handy number on RTE. Usually when he can't figure a colour out he'll say nothing for a few seconds and listen to Dessies comm to find out. Then we have Pugh, our version of David Fitzgerald, who as a PTP 'expert' thinks he knows everything. And finally Jerry Gannon, who whole commentary is based on how much he can say in five seconds about the winning connections as they pass the post.

Report MJK July 23, 2018 5:19 PM BST

Jul 23, 2018 -- 4:34PM, cardenden wrote:

at least if they did let chapman

Report MJK July 23, 2018 5:20 PM BST
Yeah the way he outs Prescott, Gosden, Spencer, Murphy, Elliott and the rest of his 'friends'.
Report workrider July 23, 2018 5:21 PM BST
Mr O'Brien did a comm at Killarney last week , drab would be my take on it . Hopefully Gary sticks to presenting, Dessie was a superb reader of a race and most times got the finish correct unlike a certain Catt , Matt is totally out of his debt when it come to commentating . A fine art is what it is, and I think one of the artist's has just retired. Happy retirement Des ...
Report MJK July 23, 2018 5:42 PM BST

Jul 23, 2018 -- 5:21PM, workrider wrote:

Mr O'Brien did a comm at Killarney last week , drab would be my take on it . Hopefully Gary sticks to presenting, Dessie was a superb reader of a race and most times got the finish correct unlike a certain Catt , Matt is totally out of his debt when it come to commentating . A fine art is what it is, and I think one of the artist's has just retired. Happy retirement Des ...

Dessie was a commentating artist. We all know what type of artist Chapman isWink

Report workrider July 23, 2018 5:45 PM BST
Didn't see you yesterday in Waterford...?
Report MJK July 23, 2018 5:55 PM BST
Had a family function on. Typical, Sundays are usually safe.
Report workrider July 23, 2018 5:57 PM BST
You are forgiven so...Laugh
Report punchestown July 23, 2018 10:36 PM BST
He was punching the clock for the last few years so it's probably best he does hang up the mic,he will be fondly remembered by most and his impact on a tight finish was tremenjus....Devil
Report GEORGE.B July 24, 2018 12:14 AM BST
I like Jerry Hannon, always feel his enthusiasm is real and he gets a bit carried away at times, and when that happens, kinda sounds like Ian Paisley on speed imo Grin
Report acey deucy July 26, 2018 11:39 PM BST
Quantitativeeasing.LaughLaugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now