Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
flag of goats
08 Jun 18 16:22
| Topic/replies: 272 | Blogger: flag of goats's blog
Only been there once and not the best viewing with tired old bars which actually face away from the stand towards the car park.
The racing is usually poor and when it’s wet the wider the better wins whether they are the best horse or not.

If there is a worst racetrack please let me know and I’ll avoid it like the bubonic plague.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Is Brighton the worst track in Europe?
Show More
Report Happy Valley June 8, 2018 4:32 PM BST
lovely track, bad management since council let that northern racing mob or whatever they are called now, acquire controlling interest and put on the worst racing for the lowest prize money and flood it with corporates who are only there for the jolly

beautiful view and uncannily similar to epsom
Report layemall June 8, 2018 5:43 PM BST
Hmmmmm, I haven't visited all the tracks in the UK, let alone Europe, but having been there last summer.....I  thought it was ok.....I liked being able to be so close to the horses in the final furlong, so my guess would be no.
Report sparrow June 8, 2018 5:44 PM BST
Nothing wrong with Brighton.
Report Cash Is King June 8, 2018 5:47 PM BST
Plenty of candidates for "worst track in Britain" - Towcester, Newmarket, Southwell, Chelmsford and Redcar to name but 5.
Report layemall June 8, 2018 5:49 PM BST
Sparrow...while I think of it...was it you that used to lay the field in running at 1.04 a few years ago and post on here?.....if so, are you still doing it, or did you find it unprofitable in the long run?
Report sparrow June 8, 2018 6:01 PM BST
Definitely not me, layemall.
Report mouse muldoon June 8, 2018 6:16 PM BST
I've only been twice, but won 8k on my very first bet there, so I have a soft spot for it. Couldn't even see the thing either until it emerged out the fog 2l ahead at the ½f pole. Happy daze.
Report Barton Bank June 8, 2018 6:24 PM BST
I bet there are some shocking racecourses in the former Eastern Bloc countries.
Report layemall June 8, 2018 6:38 PM BST
Thanks sparrow, my mistake. Mouse...won £8k there.....ooooooh look at me look at me Sad
Report mouse muldoon June 8, 2018 6:41 PM BST
ooohhh look at you
Report SontaranStratagem June 8, 2018 6:46 PM BST
Brighton is nice personally, always enjoyed the racing there

My personal worst is Carlisle
Report SlippyBlue June 8, 2018 6:54 PM BST
Another signing in saying that they like Brighton and as a South Londoner I've been to the course more times than I care to remember over the last 40 years or so. The viewing is fantastic and having lunch with friends and family in the Silks restaurant is always decent value for money and I'll be there sometime again in the next few weeks.
Report mrcombustible June 8, 2018 8:31 PM BST
Was there today, Silks was booked out but they had a back up restaurant called the Prince Regent. Large crowd for a minor meeting but beautiful weather. The Arc staff could not be more helpful. I notice Tracey O'Meara is now Clerk of The course, She used work at lingfield doing what I don't really know.
Had a very enjoyable afternoon, plenty of seats, great viewing (race and paddock) and you are very near to the horses in the final furlong.
Colin Brown as MC is always entertaining and the commentator was Simon Holt (still the best in the country in my opinion)
Report stephaniebot June 8, 2018 8:40 PM BST
Was many years ago now (left West Country in '99), but I always thought Salisbury was the absolute dump race course, to be honest
Report jmdc June 8, 2018 8:41 PM BST
At least they are turf racecourses and not beaches!
Report mouse muldoon June 8, 2018 8:44 PM BST
It's the diversity that makes our courses interesting as a whole.
Report Diff-rent June 8, 2018 8:51 PM BST
Been to quite a few tracks in my younger days.

Local now is Chelmsford and the place still looks like a bomb site. But the horses are at least above average types.
Report Diff-rent June 8, 2018 8:52 PM BST
Brighton was £12 Last time I went. How much now Please?
Report mrcombustible June 8, 2018 9:00 PM BST
£23 Grandstand and £29 for members

They should not have split enclosures
Report SlippyBlue June 8, 2018 9:05 PM BST
I totally agree mr.c, there was absolutely no need to do that and it was unnecessary. I've just checked and I'll be able to go to the evening meeting on Tuesday 10th July.

https://tickets.brighton-racecourse.co.uk/shop/cart.pl
Report michael59 June 8, 2018 9:24 PM BST
brighton ahhhh my most fav course bunking off school dodging the fare down to brighton on the rattler . walking up race hill . getting someone to take me in , then looking at the wonderful view of the course great viewing , had some bad days there had some fantastic days there monte bepo and willie carson flying home i had £200 on at 4/1 wonderful . i love the place
Report SlippyBlue June 8, 2018 9:40 PM BST
I can remember back in the day having a day off work and met up with some pals at the track fairly early to have a pint and study the card and sort our placepots out. All was going well after the first race, the fav won and we went back to our plot under the grandstand. Coming out for the second race we couldn't see the line of bookmakers in front of us let alone the furlong marker or the winning post. The sea fret/mist just swooped from nowhere and racing was abandoned!
Report ItsMeSwaddle June 8, 2018 9:40 PM BST
Not very insightful.

Its shyt.
Report onlooker June 8, 2018 9:43 PM BST
But .... Did you get the ONE race PLACEPOT up, though - Slippy ?   Grin
Report blackbarn June 8, 2018 9:46 PM BST
Another signing in, in favour of Brighton.  I have to say that I have noticed that most of the criticism seems to come from punters who have been once or last went a long time ago, or BOTH!!  On a lovely day like today, it is a very nice place to be.  No trouble, no queues for anything, nice people.   And before you say, the quality of racing IS average, but that's Brighton.
Report Brian June 8, 2018 9:47 PM BST
Never been a lucky track for me and usually avoid it thesedays. That said in my younger days I had some lovely days racing there  when the weather has been fine.
Report SlippyBlue June 8, 2018 9:49 PM BST
I did indeed onlooker Happy, we ended up getting a taxi to Wimbledon dog track. I really cannot remember if I ended up in front on the day though or if Tony Morris left with my dough, odds on the latter I would have thought..
Report Oldgit1 June 8, 2018 11:01 PM BST
I like Brighton and first went there when Scobie Breasley was riding round hugging the rail. People said with one foot over it. Then thee was a gap of about thirty years before going back in 2007 and found it very different and differently laid out. Its a friendly place with a lot of faithful regulars who travel quite a way to get to it. With a direct line from Bedford many come from that way.  I tend to like Gaff tracks with moderate horses as I find it easier to pick winners and many inferior horses do well there and win many times over C&D. Many of the londoners come early for a morning at the seaside and Fish 'n' Chips for lunch. Weather can be a problem up on the Downs as it often is at Goodwood when the sea mist comes in. I just travel from the other side of Lewes and that is the point where the weather changes one way or the other.
Report Oldgit1 June 8, 2018 11:08 PM BST
Musselburgh (now that was a bad course when I first went there and was lucky to survive) gets the sea mist like that, there it is called the Norse Haar. Their first ever jumps meeting was fogged off. John Budden used to keep talking away and hope that they came out of the Haar as they went in.
Report FELTFAIR June 9, 2018 1:46 PM BST
Like beer,Epsom Derbys,etc there are no bad racecourses just some are better than others.
Report theres only one best tonic June 12, 2018 12:35 PM BST
Great track. Was there yesterday the weather superb and the views across the sea were stunning,only gripe is that £24 for members was a bit steep for the quality of the card but apart from that no complaints at all. Brighton is what it is and hopefully it never changes
Report Happy Valley June 12, 2018 6:20 PM BST
Barton Bank - I've had a good few days racing in Warsaw. They have the most fabulously crumbling art deco grandstand. They were mainly ponies, if not exclusively. And when one had to be reshod in the paddock his jockey lay down, flat out, on the grass and had a **** while gazing at the sky. Priceless.
Report Cantthinkofaclevername June 12, 2018 7:38 PM BST
Love Brighton. Wouldn't pay that entry fee but go when I can pounce an owners badge from a very nice trainer I know has plenty of runners there. Great viewing and good facilities in the owners bar where you are served by Julian and Sandy (Around the Horne).
When the weather is good, there is no nicer place to be and if is carp then the sofas are very comfy.
Report Cantthinkofaclevername June 12, 2018 7:39 PM BST
Pounce = ponce.
Report Dav_vin03 June 13, 2018 7:19 AM BST
bangor is the worst from a viewing point of view
Report Llamedos June 13, 2018 7:41 AM BST
Ladies Day at Brighton is a sight to behold, well worth the entrance fee just for that !!!
Report sparrow June 13, 2018 8:02 AM BST
Say what you want but Brighton racecourse has character.
Report Happy Valley June 13, 2018 3:37 PM BST
if you are just talking about the racecourse, then if you criticise brighton you must surely criticise Epsom because, having walked both, they are like twins. Amazing that two such idiosyncratic tracks can be largely identical, i guess it is because they are on similarly parts of the Downs, just one on the south and one on the north
Report Llamedos June 13, 2018 5:09 PM BST
The course staged a Derby Trial for six years in the 1960s, and although none of the runners enjoyed Derby success two of the winners went on to victory in the St Leger. Being municipally owned, the profits that the racecourse generated were used to keep ratepayers' bills down. But when the demise of the traditional seaside holiday led to smaller crowds, the course was barely able to pay its way.
Report Oldgit1 June 14, 2018 9:10 AM BST
" Ladies Day at Brighton is a sight to behold, well worth the entrance fee just for that !!!"
There was a great cheer the day that Transvestite won. It must have been especially laid out for the occasion. One time one of them was placed in the Best Dressed Lady competition.
Report kevo June 14, 2018 11:44 AM BST
Went there for 2 consecutive days in the 60s intended to stay overnight but every hotel and B&B was booked. Scobie Breasley was still riding then and as I recall the quality of racing was quite decent compared to now.
Report jmdc June 14, 2018 12:22 PM BST
^ Do you remember the 2yo Wippip kevo?  It used to lead at a blistering pace for 4 1/2 furlongs then get stuffed in the last knockings.  One day Scobie finally got him home there!
Report sparrow June 14, 2018 1:06 PM BST
Operatic Society is the one most people will remember at Brighton. He won 7 times there in the 1960s.
Report second again June 14, 2018 1:17 PM BST
The one eyed Belper was another old favourite.
Report Gordon63 June 14, 2018 4:04 PM BST
no - bath before slight improvements in last 3 years, but folkestone because its closed
Report blackbarn June 14, 2018 4:52 PM BST
Re Happy Valley's post - "Amazing that two such idiosyncratic tracks can be largely identical, i guess it is because they are on similarly parts of the Downs, just one on the south and one on the north.  Another downland track, Lewes, was also a similar horseshoe shape - 2 miles long though and right handed.
Report kevo June 14, 2018 5:06 PM BST
jmdc.....No I don't remember Whippip, but there was a very decent 3yo that ran when I was there but for the life of me can't remember its name.

As sparrow said Operatic Society was a standing dish there and they named a race after him.
Report Oldgit1 June 14, 2018 8:20 PM BST
Another Brighton favourite was Beacon Lady who won there five times and three times at similar Epsom.
Report fredlyn June 14, 2018 8:31 PM BST
Yarmouth is a hole - a dodgy hole at that
Report kevo June 14, 2018 8:40 PM BST
The downhill run as they turn in to the straight must be the steepest in this or any other country. Looks more severe when your at at the track than on the TV coverage.
Report nijinsky01 June 15, 2018 9:05 AM BST
Love it there on nice day shame about the dire racing they have these days
Report Lucky Luciano June 15, 2018 12:18 PM BST
Been going there for last 50 years, remember seeing belper and another favourite was shikaris son trained by j white. Fantastic location and a shame that quality of racing has gone downhill pun not intended
Report lovegod June 15, 2018 2:11 PM BST
Madrasse was another one who ran well at Brighton.
Report bluebook June 15, 2018 2:14 PM BST
Any track run by Govia Thameslink far worse.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now