Forums

Horse Racing

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
halcyon days
02 Dec 17 15:12
| Topic/replies: 27,996 | Blogger: halcyon days's blog
Super duper !
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Brilliant ride Paul !!!!
Show More
Report equine flew December 2, 2017 3:13 PM GMT
13 smacks with the whip.  You are not in Ireland now.  BANNED
Report halcyon days December 2, 2017 3:13 PM GMT
Great race, that was special !
Report Poppydog. December 2, 2017 3:18 PM GMT
Double-figure heavy cracks of the whip in the last furlong.

If the cheating made the difference, then heavy bans and fines should be dished out.
Report MJK December 2, 2017 3:35 PM GMT
Great ride. Pity I didn't back it
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! December 2, 2017 3:56 PM GMT
What was the ban then?

Wink
Report equine flew December 2, 2017 4:04 PM GMT
4 Days - starting 16th Dec
Report 1st time poster December 2, 2017 4:06 PM GMT
as far as the big races go whip rules are meaningless . to be fair to punters you might as well fine the jocks who don't get stuck into their mounts if they have a chance of winning,placing
Report Poppydog. December 2, 2017 4:30 PM GMT
Should have been a lot harsher.

His horse was still behind the 2nd, when his legal whip allocation ran out.

Feel for connections of the 2nd, who were cheated out of a big, big prize
Report pa lapsy December 2, 2017 4:46 PM GMT
Poppydog, Davy would have done the same if the mounts were switched.
Report equine flew December 2, 2017 4:50 PM GMT
I have changed my view.  I cannot see any point in retaining the whip.  Still a level playing field and lazy types would eventually get bred out of the sport.
Report TheFear December 2, 2017 5:44 PM GMT
Major story im0. Surely equivalent to a "handballed" goal in football?
Report cloone river December 2, 2017 9:02 PM GMT
Was total recall responding when he was hit?I thing he was.Its time people grownup about the air cushion whip.
Report Ekbalco December 2, 2017 9:35 PM GMT
WALOFS re. whip - absolutely fantastic ride off Townsend the whole way round , not just the last 2 furlongs.
Report ima_mazed66 December 2, 2017 9:59 PM GMT
It's not really about the air-cushioned whip (which doesn't hurt) and more about one jockey sticking to the rules and gets beaten and another breaking them to win and yet keeps the race, even if a fantastic ride. Meaning the beaten jockey is effectively being punished for obeying the rules.

If in one of those hands and heels races, a jockey uses the whip other than for safety reason then presumably they are disqualified due to befitting from breaking the rules (or logically they should be anyway) so what's the difference between prohibited use of the whip in those races and in regular races? If in both scenarios, rules have been broken then why the different consequences?

Banning a jockey after breaking the rules but allowing the horse to keep the race is a bit like sending off a footballer for deliberately using a hand to score a winning goal but then still letting the goal stand anyway.
Report equine flew December 3, 2017 11:35 AM GMT
The difficulty is enforcing the whip rule accurately.  We either have no rules, ie. hit the horse as many times as you want or we get ride of the whip completely.

A clip down the next, showing the whip, air shots... too difficult to 100% count.  so lets just get rid.

Loads of top jockeys agree the whip is unnecessary
Report TheFear December 3, 2017 12:38 PM GMT
wouldnt have won without breaking the rules, surely. Totally ignored by the press who are all going with the be my royal failed dope test zzzz
Report Poppydog. December 3, 2017 1:07 PM GMT
Yeah. It's a shame the media totally ignored it.

It would be bad-sport for connections of the 2nd to make a fuss,
but they must be silently frustrated that cheating lost them a big race.
Report Poppydog. December 3, 2017 1:09 PM GMT
Oh and so many poster take up the man-up/air-cushioned line of thought.

It's not about that. It's about the rules and the flagrant breaking of them getting pathetic punishments.
Report 1st time poster December 3, 2017 1:14 PM GMT
ruk to busy giving pelters to joe coliver for using the whip on sam spinner when clear
Report Ekbalco December 3, 2017 2:33 PM GMT
Double WALOFS - if you're so concerned about animal welfare try campaigning for Great Dane's kept in Tower Blocks or debeaked chickens kept in cages the size of shoeboxes or pigs kept in concrete cells 90% of their lives or crated veal calves or routine chemical manipulation of animal growth . . . . .

NOT beautiful pampered thoroughbreds , loved and cared for every second of their exisrence and that live a relative life of such luxury that only 99% of humans can dream of.
Report TheFear December 3, 2017 2:43 PM GMT
it's possible to be against all those things AND the whip. But I agree with poppydog it's more to do with the rule break in this instance.
Report differentdrum December 3, 2017 2:52 PM GMT
Suggesting there might be worse things in life just goes to show how feeble the pro-whip arguments actually are. 

It is a strange conclusion that hitting an animal with a whip is actually caring for it.
Report TheFear December 3, 2017 2:57 PM GMT
time will tell that race left it's mark on the winner imo. They don't fancy responding like that too often.
Report 1st time poster December 3, 2017 5:05 PM GMT
I,ll give bashful ben a miss next time out then, LOL
Report Ekbalco December 7, 2017 12:26 PM GMT
Fluffers/Drummers - you'll be happy to learn that the next thing on the tree huggers agenda will be jocks in carpet slippers (to reduce chafage) ,  no shouting allowed by jocks (to reduce psychological damage) and absolutely no urging from the saddle allowed in to make the lazy beasts run faster.

You've seen too many Disney films.
Report ima_mazed66 December 7, 2017 3:01 PM GMT
Having watched the race again, I think Davy Russell was just as guilty too.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now