Forums

Horse Racing

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
seaside
21 Nov 17 16:22
| Topic/replies: 1,616 | Blogger: seaside's blog
I remember seeing him at the races and down Petticote Lane on a Sunday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OauiVnN1YUU
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Prince Monolulu anyone ever see him...
Show More
Report dunlaying November 21, 2017 4:26 PM GMT
Yes as a child but in the 60s he would appear with Lord Sutch occasionally.
Report sparrow November 21, 2017 4:27 PM GMT
Plenty of times and very entertaining to watch.
Report clayfield1 November 21, 2017 6:13 PM GMT
Yes saw him in the early 60s, also used to be a little old man dressed in racing silks claimed that he was an ex jockey he use to sell tips about half a crown may be less was only a nipper myself at the time.
Report saxon farm November 21, 2017 6:31 PM GMT
Anyone remember “Shilling Shocker”?
Report adge November 21, 2017 6:34 PM GMT
and the one about 6 ft tall with the big red nose who said he used to be harry wragg's head lad.
Report GHOSTOFALEXBIRD November 21, 2017 6:35 PM GMT
Never saw him but R.E.M. Pulling up at newmkt as a child and the brown envelope boys going down the line selling there tips

Great daysHappy
Report ribero1 November 21, 2017 6:57 PM GMT
Remember seeing him at the Leger fair on the town moor,i could only have been about 6 and was petrified!
Report terry mccann November 21, 2017 7:29 PM GMT
"ive got a horse" yes saw him as a very small boy but couldn't have been at the races,maybe hamstead heath funfair and he had all the gear on
Report geoff m November 22, 2017 8:11 AM GMT
Dont know if its the same bloke you are reffering to Adge .But remember one of the 1st meetings i ever went to Magnet Cup 1975 there was this huge bloke probably in his late 50s and he had big cards (black and white) laid on the ground distinctly remember a photo of Price Monalulu on 1 of them.
He stood in the walkway between the 2 stands trying to flog his tips.
Thought he was Jolly Good
Report khyber kim November 22, 2017 8:54 AM GMT
I saw him walking to the course at the York May meeting  in the late 50's, I would only be 5 or 6 my old grandad used to take me.

You couldn't miss him in the full costume and in full cry. He was surrounded by a plenty of people who looked to be wanting his tips.
Report duncan idaho November 22, 2017 9:03 AM GMT
There was a 30-min documentary about him on Radio 4 recently if anyone's interested

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0855vz8
Report ged November 22, 2017 9:45 AM GMT
geoff - I think that was 'Big Harry'. I used to see him regularly at Haydock and Chester in the mid-70s. Like you say, he had these big cards laid on the ground - one supposedly showing him leading in a big winner (though he'd probably just done a bit of photo-bombing) - and used to work the crowd around him before racing. He usually had 3 tips for races 3,4 and 5 I think, so he could f-off before they ran, though of course if he got the winner of the 3rd race he'd be back shouting about how he'd given it. He had an East-Anglian accent I think, and always claimed he'd driven up from Newmarket that morning, talking in half-sentences which he didn't finish - like "there's a favourite in the first race today, they say it can't be beat, but I'm telling you now, I used to work in Newmarket, and you can't run these babies on firm ground, and there's a horse running here today, and I know these things...etc".

As for Prince Monolulu, I remember seeing him at Kempton Park in the early 60s when I was a kid, at a summer flat meeting, when the place was full of people...
Report adge November 22, 2017 11:49 AM GMT
that's him ged and geoff. i had a feeling his name was harry. he was quite convincing
Report ged November 22, 2017 12:57 PM GMT
One of Harry's other favourite lines was "I'm the only man allowed by the racecourse to do this". I admit I never saw anyone else trying it, so maybe he was right. I would have said he was well into his 60s at this time, so had to admire him for being a trier. I once saw him later in the afternoon by the joint of the bookie at the top of the line in the silver ring chatting to him, so imagine he was quite well known at the time (I think you were at the bottom of the line then, adge - you've come a long way....)
Report barry dennis November 22, 2017 1:15 PM GMT
Big Harry worked Royal Ascot silver ring every year 50's, saw monolulu August bank holiday Epsom late 50's, screaming that an odds on chance in a short field was a procession not a race, think it won, going rock hard most races very few runners
Report TheNorfolkMafia November 22, 2017 1:42 PM GMT
Remember seeing Ras Prince Monolulu outside Yarmouth's old East Ring (now defunct) in the 1950s when my Father would take me with him, also, Big Harry in the Goodwood Silver Ring when I started working on course in 1979!

Ah, yes, I remember it well!

youtu.be/sISWPzEqHLQ
Report democrat November 22, 2017 1:49 PM GMT
These posts are about gee-gees TNM not Gigi !!!! Cry
Report sparrow November 22, 2017 1:52 PM GMT
Maurice Chevalier Cry
Report PAT'S PLAYTHING November 22, 2017 3:00 PM GMT
Just turned to my Partner,and said have you heard of Prince Monolulu--she said yes, I have seen him--I said where--Epsom was the reply-- our office used to set up coach trips and one was to the Epsom Derby !!--would have been in the early fifties my Pat is 87 !!
Report jmdc November 22, 2017 4:37 PM GMT
I also saw Prince Monolulu at Epsom in the fifties, the first time my dad ever took me to the races.
Report dambuster November 22, 2017 4:43 PM GMT
My son use to see him in the 50s at Ascot
Report mini me November 22, 2017 5:06 PM GMT
My mother sat next to him on the bus from Chichester to Goodwood. Scared her shitless!
Report TheNorfolkMafia November 22, 2017 5:33 PM GMT
He told me once he sat next to a lady on the bus from Chichester to Goodwood, never again he said, I was so frightened I nearly turned white!
Report clacton November 22, 2017 6:15 PM GMT
Laugh
Report handtorofe November 23, 2017 12:00 PM GMT
I remember the guy with the big cards with him leading one in at Ascot i think, could of been a young lester on board.
I remember that line you quoted Ged about the only tipster allowed on the course.
Report Oldgit1 November 23, 2017 11:05 PM GMT
I used to see him all over the place when I first started going racing in the London area in the mid 50's. I once out of curiosity bought a tip from him on a folded piece of paper for a shilling. After the race I could not shout out "I gotta winner"
When I later lived in Edinburgh he used to come up to Musselburgh. After racing crowds of shouting kids would follow him through the streets. He usually went into the flea pit Salon cinema in Baxters Place at the end of London Road.
Report Oldgit1 November 23, 2017 11:21 PM GMT
" Yes saw him in the early 60s, also used to be a little old man dressed in racing silks claimed that he was an ex jockey he use to sell tips about half a crown may be less was only a nipper myself at the time"
I often used to see him. At Hurst Park he and other tipsters used to do their spiels on the river bank working the crowds walking along from Hampton Court station or the trolley busses.
The one dressed as the jockey used to have a whip and ride out his imaginary winners.
The other thing you used to get there and at Plough Lane outside Wimbledon Dogs were teams with a folded table set out in sections and they spun a pointer for punters to bet on where it stopped. Supposedly there was a guy with a magnet in his coat pocket who moved to where they wanted it to stop. Of course the Find the Lady ones were always out in force and ready to abandon their card table if a Copper came along. There used to be a lot of them on Oxford Street as well.   
How boring it all is now.
Report sparrow November 24, 2017 7:52 AM GMT
As you say oldgit far more boring now as their sons and grandsons are now found in fields on stepladders or similar.
Report dunlaying November 24, 2017 11:12 AM GMT
The chap mentioned by Oldgit, the one who used to whip them home , appears in a documentary called , I believe , "The Year Of Sir Ivor".
And completely off topic Fred Winter turns up in a BBC production called "The Gallop Keeper".
Report Dr Crippen November 24, 2017 11:15 AM GMT
I saw that one who dressed in jockey silks at Cheltenham.

He stood there with a crowd around him spouting his bullshine.

''I gave everybody who bought my tips the winner of the first'' He boomed out. ''And I can give you the winner in the third.''

''Hang on'' said somebody in the crowd holding out a bit of paper, ''this is what you sold me in the first, it was unplaced.'' Followed by a big cheer from the crowd.

The tipster started packing up his stuff and shouted back. ''I didn't give you anything in the first''  You're a trouble maker''
And walked off.
Report Dr Crippen November 24, 2017 11:19 AM GMT
He was at Wolverhmpton one day.

I remembering hearing him shout ''Eddery will win the last - there I'll give you that for nothing.''
Long odds on of course.
Report Dr Crippen November 24, 2017 11:34 AM GMT
I remember reading about someone who bumped into Prince Monolulu reading the form at the back of the tote building at Uttoxeter.
They got chatting and he told the Prince he had a horse he fancied.

The Prince said he'd use the tip.
The horse won. Of course all the Prince's clients were very grateful.
This chap saw the Prince later and hinted that he might give him something in return for the tip.

Tell you what said the Prince, see me at the next meeting and I'll give you all my tips for the meeting free.
Report chatto November 24, 2017 4:56 PM GMT
Saw him for first time in 1948 at the York Ebor meeting which he attended every yearThere were many other tipsters several who were styled Major, Captain or Colonel.They tended to drop out Over the following 20 years.Prince H lived in London and was a plumber or something like that.The difference between him and the rest was that he was very entertaining and an asset to the racing scene.
Report Oldgit1 November 25, 2017 3:28 PM GMT
Dunlaying:
I have the Year of Sir Ivor in a set of ten DVD's I recently bought in a charity shop so will look out for him when I watch it.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now