Forums

Horse Racing

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Nogoody
14 Nov 17 15:30
| Topic/replies: 414 | Blogger: Nogoody's blog
Not the worst of them ,
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Alan Potts r.I.p.
Show More
Report tips November 14, 2017 3:40 PM GMT
is that the man that was on the old attheraces if it is he was the best pundit i ever saw
Report Steamship November 14, 2017 3:43 PM GMT
Gold Cup winning owner dies. what will happen to then horses?
Report par November 14, 2017 3:43 PM GMT
no, the owner
Report carrot1960 November 14, 2017 3:46 PM GMT
He sure went contented after the season he had last year R.I.P
Report sparrow November 14, 2017 3:47 PM GMT
Was he not a poster on this forum?
Report Wicklow November 14, 2017 3:48 PM GMT
jess the wife died in august. Tom malone be devasted.
Report geordie1956 November 14, 2017 3:51 PM GMT
are the remainder of the family as interested in racing or will the dynasty fold?
there will be some disappointed trainers who will likely lose good horses and plenty of training fees
Report acey deucy November 14, 2017 3:57 PM GMT
Alan Potts, whose pride and joy Sizing John scaled the ultimate peak in the Timico Cheltenham Gold Cup in March, has died aged 80.

One of the leading owners in Ireland and Britain, Potts' passing comes less than three months after his wife Ann, with whom he shared some top-class jumps horses, lost a long battle with illness.

The Potts husband-and-wife team enjoyed an incredible season in 2016-17, spearheaded by the Jessica Harrington-trained Sizing John realising a lifelong ambition for the Yorkshireman in winning the Cheltenham Festival's showpiece event.

Sizing John had also won the Stan James Irish Gold Cup at Leopardstown and went on to complete a treble in the Coral-backed Punchestown equivalent.

Harrington also trained Supasundae to win the Festival's Coral Cup for Potts, while Fox Norton, Sizing Codelco and Pingshou won at the Grand National meeting for Colin Tizzard.

The Potts team originally enjoyed great success through the Henry de Bromhead-trained Sizing Europe, who landed the 2011 Champion Chase, having won the previous year's Arkle Trophy and the 2008 Irish Champion Hurdle. Last autumn, Potts removed his horses from De Bromhead, with Harrington and Tizzard the main beneficiaries.

Alan and Ann Potts, pictured here with Sizing John, Ashley Hussey and Robbie Power after their moment of Gold Cup glory at Cheltenham in March
Alan and Ann Potts, pictured here with Sizing John, Ashley Hussey and Robbie Power after their moment of Gold Cup glory at Cheltenham in March
Harry Trump
Potts was an immensely successful businessman. In 1978, he invented a machine that sized rock as it was mined, revolutionising the industry and amassing more than enough money to feed his love of racing in recent years. It also provided the inspiration for the naming of many of his horses.

He began working in the mines when he was 16, when his father was head of the union in his area. By 22 he was running a mine and at 40 he set up his own company, MMD.

Potts' main jockey originally, through his relationship with De Bromhead, was Andrew Lynch. "Alan and Ann were good to me," said Lynch on hearing of Potts' death. "We had some great days together. I wish to send my condolences to his family."

In October, Bryan Cooper was given the nod to ride his British-based horses based with Tizzard. His Irish team would continue to be ridden by Robbie Power, who became his first-choice rider following March's Cheltenham exploits. Jonathan Burke was also Potts' retained jockey for a spell.

Potts was a massively devoted jumps devotee, investing huge sums in the best stock, often out of Irish point-to-point fields. Finian’s Oscar cost £250,000 just over a year ago, while he set a record in February when paying £480,000 for another Irish point-to-point winner in Flemenshill, who subsequently suffered a fatal injury.

Potts rarely gave interviews, but was on record as saying that the Gold Cup was the race that meant most to him. It is unclear what plans are in place for his horses now, with Finian’s Oscar and Fox Norton both due to run at Cheltenham at the weekend.
Report workrider November 14, 2017 4:02 PM GMT
Sorry to read of Alan's death. R.I.P.
Report smirnoff2therescue November 14, 2017 4:25 PM GMT
Sad to read - a true gent

R.I.P
Report portmanpark November 14, 2017 4:41 PM GMT
loved his racing...very sad
Report portmanpark November 14, 2017 4:43 PM GMT
any children??
Report Rider November 14, 2017 4:53 PM GMT
Great shame, i enjoyed listening to him as a pundit many years ago and reading his books. Never met him but had some dialogue on forums and email, great sense of humour, genuine love of the sport, RIP
Report TheAnorak November 14, 2017 5:02 PM GMT
Rider,

You can still meet me on course, as I'm not the one that has died. I never owned the sort of horses that my namesake had the good fortune (and cash) to purchase.

To paraphrase Mark Twain, reports of my death have been exaggerated. This is like reading my obituary before the event.
Report saddo November 14, 2017 5:05 PM GMT
Laugh
Report Rider November 14, 2017 5:17 PM GMT

Nov 14, 2017 -- 11:02AM, TheAnorak wrote:

Rider,You can still meet me on course, as I'm not the one that has died. I never owned the sort of horses that my namesake had the good fortune (and cash) to purchase. To paraphrase Mark Twain, reports of my death have been exaggerated. This is like reading my obituary before the event.

sorry Alan for thinking it was you, genuine error, glad to know we will still read your thoughts, though obviously sad for those close to the man in point here.

Report hong kong fooey November 14, 2017 5:18 PM GMT
TheAnorak. I was going to send my condolences .then i realised
it was another person.
Report TheAnorak November 14, 2017 5:26 PM GMT
Rider,

No problem - I've got used to the confusion over the years. My mates used to refer to me as AP until that bloke McCoy came along and took that identity off me as well! If you see me on course, come and say hello.

And yes, sad for the man in question and his family. But he did manage to fulfil that lifetime ambition and see his colours on a Gold Cup winner.
Report Rider November 14, 2017 5:38 PM GMT
i will Alan, just hope its not another case of mistaken identity when I tap on that shoulder..Blush
Report portmanpark November 14, 2017 5:57 PM GMT
got a feeling ryder knew which alan potts  had died........acey deucys post was a big giveaway
Report sparrow November 14, 2017 6:11 PM GMT
Apologies anorak. I was thinking the same thing.
Report tips November 14, 2017 6:19 PM GMT
sorry for the mix upSad
Report TheAnorak November 14, 2017 6:46 PM GMT
No need to apologise gents - thanks for generous comments Tips. Amazed anybody remembers that so many years later.
Report annie. November 15, 2017 10:10 PM GMT
Are you the alan potts of 'against the crowd', Anorak?

I have just been looking through the posts to say my rip to mary reveley when i saw this.  If so, your book was very helpful to me when I was betting on the horses.
Report mokegibboni November 16, 2017 12:19 PM GMT
Now I'm confused - the Alan Potts that wrote 'Against The Crowd' and 'The Inside Track - The Professional Approach' .... is that the Alan Potts that has just passed away? If it's him, then that's very sad. Good chap. I'll never forget his take on Dettori's Magic 7. Inspirational stuff.
Report mouse muldoon November 16, 2017 12:23 PM GMT
RIP gold cup winning owner Alan Potts.
Author Alan Potts alive & well.
Report saddo November 16, 2017 12:27 PM GMT
Better if people read a fred before asking daft questions imo.
Report ashleigh November 16, 2017 12:37 PM GMT
see he has a runner at clonmel today in the name of ann&alan potts limited, and runners at cheltenham tomorrow including finian's oscar.
Report howard November 16, 2017 12:52 PM GMT
True saddo. Many years ago when he came on to the scene as an owner I thought Alan had scored a few accas with "kitchy koo " horses. That's long shots if you haven't read the books.
Report TheAnorak November 16, 2017 1:27 PM GMT
I wish Howard! He actually started in a much smaller way, buying a horse out of a Lingfield seller fifteen years ago this month. Here's the link to the result:

https://www.racingpost.com/results/393/lingfield-aw/2002-11-23/324310

That was when the confusion started, as most people assumed I was the buyer that day.

His first jumps winner came about a year later, a 99 rated hurdler trained by Sue Smith.
Report sageform November 16, 2017 1:52 PM GMT
And all paid for by sorting big stones from little stones.
Report breadnbutter November 16, 2017 2:13 PM GMT
The main article posted on here just says setting up his own company (MMD) and makes no mention of the success story and his ability to manufacture equipment that was so effective ,his work in mines gave him the edge and he used it to engineer superior equipment ,form and grow a manufacturing business that went global ,he used his love of horse racing to further the company with the naming of his horses ,it's quite a story and sad to hear of his passing but sounds like he crammed in more to his 80 years than most could in many lifetimes ,a shrewd Yorkshireman that did not cry into his beer when the going got tough ,hats off to Mr Potts and a shame he could not enjoy the fruits of his hard work for longer .                  Does anyone know where the background to the naming of his gold cup winner ? Who or where is John ?
Report TheAnorak November 16, 2017 3:02 PM GMT
Possibly John Bleahen, who bought the horse as a foal and had previously been responsible for the owners buying Sizing Europe.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now