Forums

Horse Racing

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
comingupthehill
30 Mar 14 18:36
| Topic/replies: 4,870 | Blogger: comingupthehill's blog
rough estimate based on articles I ve read in post over last few months.

1)racing post members club,- complete disaster for the industry - why hinder any access to information,given the paper used to (prob still does)make a good profit anyway why do this.

2)ruk - why charge to watch the sport - they re hardly the bbc,theres 3 channels showing racing,4 if you include sky,why isn't there just one .more 4 plus racing could be formed and show the lot on there..

3)too much racing - the bookies said all this racing is good for the levvy,why is it down then,all this racing is just background noise for fobts players so they don't realise what mugs they are.

4)future craziness - 2 more sand tracks and charging papers just for the runners,why don't they be done with it and not actually tell anyone whats running and put all data on 0898 numbers £1 a minute .horses could be disguised so no one knows  what actual horse they are.mind you brian ellsion seems to have started doing this yesterday in the brocklesby.

5)people dying - no ones replacing them - the average age of punters must have shot up as all the under 30s play fobts(exactly what the bookies want).why cant the bha see that the bookies are slowly killing racing whilst weaning their customers over to the fobts.

the whole of racing needs to make it easy for people to get involved ,not put pay walls up or hinder any interest or allow self interest groups to steal their customers.

any shop bookie on here ,can you see any decline in racing bets since the post went members club,i d love to see the figures,
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View reasons why betting on horses is 50%...
Show More
Report swiftynifty March 30, 2014 6:52 PM BST
cuth, spot on, the £800pa Racing Post paper is in the pockets of the bookies who demand 14/15 runner h/caps and are alerted to potential gambles by the BHA, who help maximize bookies' profits to encourage sponsorship etc etc, the same BHA who pull up 1 non-trier a month on average,  punters have every right to feel shafted and walk away.
Report mange March 30, 2014 6:54 PM BST
people looking for a day out ............back a name or a horse that is grey .......& that is wot the bookies want
Report aberdonia March 30, 2014 6:55 PM BST
there are far more opportunities to bet on a whole host of sports.

dont think racing can do anything to avert the slide and it will continue.
Report swingwhenuwinning March 30, 2014 6:55 PM BST
Much to slow for the kids now.97% pay out fobt to tempting.
Days out at races always be ok but no way back for the day to day races.
Report comingupthehill March 30, 2014 7:55 PM BST
if charging for data why don't the bookies charge 14.50 a month for punters to access the fobtsLaugh
Report Wickerman March 30, 2014 7:57 PM BST
Punters don't care if they win or lose they just want the thrill of gambling ,horses arent for them
Report lizzybizzy March 30, 2014 7:58 PM BST
not as much money to go around and punters are catching on what an insider game really this is
Report Do wah Diddy March 30, 2014 8:34 PM BST
LIFE MOVES ON ,AND NOW ITS NOT ON B B C TV THERES ONLY ONE WAY IT CAN GO DOWN ,I REMEMBER THE DAYS WHEN THERE WOULD BE A MEETING ON THE T V EVERY OTHER WEEK,SAME AS CROWN GREEN BOWLS ITS HAD ITS DAY ,THERES MORE TRACKS CLOSING THAN OPENING THAT SURELY MUST TELL YOU ITS ON ITS WAY DOWN ,TOO MUCH COMPETION FROM OTHER GAMBLING MEDIAS
Report sixtwosix March 30, 2014 8:47 PM BST
Wall to wall live sports coverage .....and online and in-running betting on these events.
No mandatory trebles on footy betting.
Lack of confidence in the integrity of some runners.
Masses of non runners changing shape of a race.
Online Poker ....FOBT's ......
Entry costs , facilities , 19th century dress codes , each way betting odds .....
Report timberman March 30, 2014 8:51 PM BST
Bookies are pushing cartoon virtual racing at every opportunity ...machines & cartoon racing are all the likes of spoils and others  in Ireland seem to want anyways...
Report TEABAGHDAD March 30, 2014 8:51 PM BST
1) Racing is a cruel blood money sport
2) Nobody likes to see animals being whipped, younger generation are more caring of animal  rights
3) horses die all the time  in racing, good people dont like this
4) Majority of jockeys are amphetamine/cocaine  freaks allegedly, drug taking idols are cool with kids as the top music stars have proven but jockeys cant even sing or dance so make no appeal
5) The majority of the racing community are backward imbreds who  are only interested in themselves. Kids today are smart and dont want to be associated wor pay to sustain these weirdos lifestyle
6) the most famous race in the world and the one that all the non racing fans warch is the grand national, its also the one race in the calendar where you can almost  guarantee horses will die (genius)
7) Nobody in racing is even slightly l likeable, from jockeys to trainers to owners to tv presenters all vile .

As you can see Racing has no chance
Report Lampus March 30, 2014 8:53 PM BST
2/  RUK  A  own goal
Report homefortea March 30, 2014 9:04 PM BST
Not sure why banned-banks is still on here and yat I have a yellow card..

Andre Marriner must work for betfair...
Report homefortea March 30, 2014 9:05 PM BST
Even yet but I have finished caring....
Report TEABAGHDAD March 30, 2014 9:06 PM BST
Its probably cos you are a racist lunatic imo but i could be wrong.
Report homefortea March 30, 2014 9:25 PM BST
DO NOT CALL ME A LUNATIC BANNED BANKS..

IT IS NOT MY FAULT THAT YOU ARE NOT WORKING ANYMORE..

SHOULD HAVE DECLINED THE BROWN ENVELOPE...
Report frog2 March 30, 2014 9:27 PM BST
How do you know betting is 50% down?

In a decade I would image turnover is well up due to Betfair. Obviously turnover is not a relevant figure. Margin is the key.

Given most firms are based offshore how does anyone have a clue on the numbers?
Report homefortea March 30, 2014 9:35 PM BST
Betting is not 50% down but is stagnant..

48 hour decs (flat racing) have done the sport no favours as there are too many non-runners..

Too many all weather meetings and those that control the fixtures should be shot.

Too many Plumpton, Flos Las, Fakenham, Bath, etc with small fields and not enough up North that attract 16 runners plus...

Not enough thought in the fixture list.....
Report racingstar March 30, 2014 9:38 PM BST
The Bookmakers have a guaranteed profits from the FOBT's and do not want to take a copper on every day racing other than the Big Meetings.
Report homefortea March 30, 2014 9:40 PM BST
Exactly racingstar and they are starting to rue that decision big time...
Report frog2 March 30, 2014 9:59 PM BST
FOBTs are good for racing accord to that guy from Hills.
Report frog2 March 30, 2014 10:04 PM BST
Speaking separately to The Sunday Telegraph, Mr Topping said a draconian crackdown could have unintended consequences for Britain’s dog tracks and horse racing industry, which is supported through a levy from bookies.
He said: “What funds greyhound racing and horse racing? Retail betting. If you hit that you might as well get the stun guns ready and start shooting the horse population and the greyhound population, because horse racing isn’t going to survive in its current form.”

Get rid of FOBTs and suddenly racing will suffer....
Its market share will decline.. er how? .. less competition from addictive products surely more for a skill based racing product.
Report frog2 March 30, 2014 10:06 PM BST
The greatest shame is that they couldnt get the pool betting purchased by an aggressive operator to compete with the bookies. The guy who purchased it has not really taken the product forward.

5% take out pools could have been the answer. A risk free product for betting agencies and a good return for punters.
Report Dav_vin03 March 30, 2014 10:11 PM BST
agree with frog2

a better tote would work wonders.
Report metro john March 30, 2014 10:16 PM BST
The availability to bet singles on football was a major knock to the racing industry,the Tv is all about football,betting odds on in a football match appeals to many,more so than that in a horse race?.
Too much racing for sure,and possibly a dampening effect of the old two season flat and jumps game(it never ends )The greyhound game will suffer earlier for sure,but 150% over-round on most tracks  makes for a 3 minute betting spree on the mobiles on the exchanges,and much to much racing on those tracks for sure.We can now view worldwide horse racing on a daily basis and many now understand the quality we once thought we had in this country is not the case?.
Report metro john March 30, 2014 10:22 PM BST
I nearly forgot the most important point,Working class poor people(the mass) have not got the funds to pay their bills let alone subsidize racing,they can hardly afford a pint,capitalism is the enemy to the entertainments industry!(how times have change)
Report frog2 March 30, 2014 10:33 PM BST
The 'working' class have always gambled and always will. The trouble racing faces (and we have been telling them for 20 years) is that it nolonger has a monopoly on what people can bet on.

If they offered free form, free replays, sectional timing and the weights of horses all on one website they might have a chance.

But ultimately they need a product that can compete on price. Betfair almost provided that until the bookies took it over a couple of years ago.
Report metro john March 30, 2014 10:40 PM BST
The working class pound is worth a tenth of what it was  30 years ago,that combined with a not spoken about subject(monthly payments) combined to make our spending habits a two week affair,end of month and first week of month,this is reflected in most business, and the reasons the pubs fill for those two weeks?,the problem is everything is to god damn expensive,our choices are limited,and capitalism has crashed.
Report Blackwater March 30, 2014 10:47 PM BST
Far too much bad racing (Nap)

Rampant corruption (NB)

A racing media that is almost openly contemptuous of the folks 'in the cheap seats'

The incestuous nature of the sport (why do trainers only trust their own sons to ride the horses?)

Terrible value for money for anyone having a bet

A complete failure to appeal to younger punters

And so on, and so on.

We all know what the problems are. Whether the people in charge have any interest in addressing them is another matter.
Report Gibberish March 31, 2014 1:27 AM BST
One thing I've noticed over the last few years is the seemingly massive increase in races with 7 or 11 runners - the 7 is something that many would have noticed as it totally ruins E/W betting (I'd really like some figures on this) but to a slightly lesser degree, the number of 11 runner handicaps is utterly frightening in that this phenomenon seems to be going unnoticed and the stinking bookmaking farts are NEVER paying 1/4 the odds place terms in races they should be.

It's become that regular I'm beginning to suspect a conspiracy or two!
Report comicbookguy March 31, 2014 10:08 AM BST
Out of my circle of friends I am the only one that backs horses, some back football ans sports but none horses, when we talk they say horses is bent and they dont know enough about it. You are spot what is going to happen in 10 years? All these scandals dont help people just see racing as a fix that if your not in the know then you have no chance. Bookies would rather have cartoon racing than the real thing and thats probably what we will need up with in time.
Report comicbookguy March 31, 2014 10:14 AM BST
Totally agree about football betting , people rather back Bayern at 1/2 than Arab Spring at Kempton at 1/2 in a 9 runner race where you have no idea if horse ready . Too many hot favs turned over for my liking, Mark Johnston horses a great example would you back one of his at 2/5 or Real Madrid at home at same price? Racing in trouble imo.
Report in hell March 31, 2014 10:52 AM BST
Agree with the opening post .

RUK has had a negative effect on betting

Corruption , too much of it . The sport is bent

Too much rubbish racing

Football is a much better betting value
Report seaview March 31, 2014 11:21 AM BST
I agree with everything you've said.

It's all sh1t,the good days have long gone.

Pack up,it's all a waste of time and effort.
Report cardifffc March 31, 2014 12:04 PM BST
i know loads of people who come in the betting shop who only bet at atr tracks because they can watch it......not surprised if thats the same all over the country
Report duncan idaho March 31, 2014 1:35 PM BST
1) wrong...there wasnt a RPost website 10 yrs ago, so you had to pay to get paper...now you pay to get paper or website. What's the difference?

2) there didnt used to be any pics apart from terrestrial (ITV7/C4 Racing/Beeb), so how is current situation worse than that?

4) how on Earth can what is going to happen in the FUTURE be a reason for why betting down the last 10 yrs?

5) People die..preferences change. Used to be hardly any live footy 30 yrs ago...now it's wall-to-wall...obvious that people going to bet on the national sport that they understand now they can watch it (instead of nags that they dont understand)
Report matt hughes March 31, 2014 1:36 PM BST
I stopped betting on horses after 20 years because:

1. ATR, adverts, putting Irish racing on over UK, the delay.

2. Too many abandoned meetings, even in the summer.

3. Fiddling from people like JP Mcmanus etc

4. Other sport providing better oppurtunities for betting on here.

I was a core customer, I still follow the sport but not for betting.
Report KeMoH March 31, 2014 1:42 PM BST
a pleasing post from duncan idaho IMVHO
Report KeMoH March 31, 2014 1:52 PM BST
I'll tell you the REAL reason why racing is in decline, that's if it is actually in decline at all.

Too many left-wing, tree-hugging, liberals who get off over the thought of that equality and diversity should be applied to our horsey friends. These mis-informed, do-gooders say ban the Grand national, ban the whip, ban this, ban that. This country has gone to the fackin dogs. Too many people trying to erode our heritage and culture.
Report bix March 31, 2014 1:54 PM BST
There is probably no more dodgy goings on in racing than there ever was. It's just that like a lot of things in life we are all more aware of it because of information technology. This forum is an obvious example. Everyone also has a chance to watch the race and see the non triers. In the old days you could back horses and rarely see a race.
I would suggest that turnover is down however because of all the other opportunities to gamble. Gambling revenue is a much bigger cake these days but divided up into a lot more slices. Years ago a normal gambler was restricted to horses dogs and the football pools  and that was about it. You can now bet 24/7 on a huge variety of "events".
Everything changes (faster and faster) and if you want to survive you have to keep up or perish.
Report duncan idaho March 31, 2014 1:57 PM BST
Racing in decline cos jocks restricted to only 8 whacks!! 99.9% of the country will NOT have noticed any difference.
Report dave1357 March 31, 2014 2:10 PM BST
duncan idaho • March 31, 2014 1:35 PM BST
1) wrong...there wasnt a RPost website 10 yrs ago,

there was actually - it started off subscription and you could download cards/form on dial-up which was charged not freephone......

They then abandoned the sub and brought it back later (can't remember when)
Report sixtwosix March 31, 2014 2:15 PM BST
I am more successful on Football than horse racing .

Only worry in backing in footy matches is whether the millionaires you pick fancy it .....that is why Liverpool are a joy to watch this season , all out attack and drive every game.

If you fancy one in a low level race ,you make your selection and just hope that you haven't stumbled upon one from a 'shrewd stable' that has been 'well placed'   ----  00PFP , beaten 74 lengths , beaten 56 lengths , pulled up tailed off ...

How on earth would you entice a novice gambler to punt on this rather than Champions League Footy , Masters Golf .....?
Report G1_Jockey_4 March 31, 2014 2:16 PM BST
6 years since "subprime".
standard of living

thats all you need to know
Report comicbookguy March 31, 2014 2:19 PM BST
First fav at Hexham beat at 1/2 , ask most people this weekend and they would rather back Celtic, Chelsea, Bayern, qpr, oh hang on......
Report unbiased March 31, 2014 3:26 PM BST
The best thing about this thread,some facts,plenty of inaccuracies,is that EVERYONE has ignored the clown going under the name of TEABAGHDAD.Well done!
Report differentdrum March 31, 2014 4:15 PM BST
These things haven't just happened over the last ten years but are negatives in my opinion:-

(1) Too many races.
(2) Too many handicap races, particularly on a Saturday - a knock-on of the waste of time Scoop 6, now you virtually have a Scoop 20.
(3) Too many horses 'running' who should never be on a racecourse.
(4) Stewards who should be policing the sport but are doing absolutely nothing for the interests of punters.
(5) The increase in the number of relatively mediocre jockeys who have been elevated towards to the top end of the sport.
(6) Total lack of meaningful criticism from the media - same old story.
(7) Bookmakers closing accounts too readily with no obvious justification and gearing business through offers more and more towards online betting.
(8) Too many clownish/childish presenters, particularly on RUK, who give the impression they are more important than the actual product. Just makes you want to turn off.
Report Gibberish March 31, 2014 4:27 PM BST
626 - you're more successful betting on football than racing...would you care to share with us what sort of bets you do, without divulging your stakes?

PS - I picked out a nag on Friday night that I fancied at Kempton for the following afternoon called Royal Bajan and it was a general 10/1 poke - I got up on Saturday morning and the beast was 33/1 with several bookmakers and although I often have a poke at a big outsider, that was telegraphed that it had no chance so I left it...it was duly bummed, last of 12 runners, beaten 24 lengths! Shocked

What's going on? Just HOW do they know?
Report differentdrum March 31, 2014 4:30 PM BST
Should have added the most important one:-

(9) Too many 'impossible' results where a pin would be of more assistance than a form book.
Report unbiased March 31, 2014 4:39 PM BST
Instead of looking at why younger punters don't want to play on our game,look at why they want to play on sports,especially football.
THREE RUNNERS EVERY EVENT,namely home ,away ,draw.Not much to pontificate about,simple selections.
TWO RUNNERS overs and unders,again not too much to think about.
Report Gibberish March 31, 2014 4:40 PM BST
Unbiased - there are countless markets on the football...sometimes well over 100 options!
Report unbiased March 31, 2014 4:46 PM BST
What has that got to do with anything?It is the simplicity of the selection on the outcome that is the crux of the matter.Whether a single,double,or whatever.
Will Liverpool beat Spurs? In all probability ,yes!
Will x beat y over 3 miles on soft ground ,giving it 12lbs.Too hard!!
Report Gibberish March 31, 2014 4:49 PM BST
Unbiased - I get what you're saying...you're on about the option to CHOOSE to narrow the eventuality down to win, lose or draw but as you're aware, it can get more complicated with a multitude of reasons for misfortunes depending on which market you pick.
Report The Sawyer March 31, 2014 5:07 PM BST
Unbiased

Are you suggesting that to get younger punters to become interested in horse racing, the BHA stage 3 runner races (two if it's a handicap) to make it less "confusing" for the young.

That'll certainly bring the crowds back.
Report duncan idaho March 31, 2014 5:10 PM BST
dave1357
31 Mar 14 14:10

duncan idaho • March 31, 2014 1:35 PM BST
1) wrong...there wasnt a RPost website 10 yrs ago,

there was actually - it started off subscription and you could download cards/form on dial-up which was charged not freephone

Jesus, dave the pedant in da house...ok, let's say 15 yrs ago then...the point remains the same
Report Barton Bank March 31, 2014 5:42 PM BST
Gibberish re Royal Bajan, it was the first horse I put a line through in the race for the following reasons.
1) Terrible draw for a front-runner
2) Obvious competition from the lead from better drawn horses
3) Best form on fibresand in weaker races. Sire does notably well on the fibresand.

That said, I was unable to lay it as the market nailed it as a rag right from the off.
Don't think this was a corrupt case.
Report Gibberish March 31, 2014 5:49 PM BST
Thanks for that BB - nevertheless...treble the odds of what it was (not just out to 14/1 or 16/1) suggested there was real confidence it was gonna get stuffed!
Report homefortea March 31, 2014 8:53 PM BST
The trouble with betting on the horses today is that you cannot get on at a price..

How many young people have heard that and turned their backs on the game..

I must have told hundreds not to start betting as if you even sniff a winner you are given the boot..

Added to the fact that the Trade Paper is an absolute disgrace even letting the worst two scrounging firms become their "partners" on an app..The game has gone..

Suicide would be too nice a word...
Report Steamship March 31, 2014 9:14 PM BST
Singles on sports and beting in play are obvious reasons. Ive hardly looked at the racing today yetr I bet on the cricket and tonights football and I got into gambling in the 70s because of my love of horseracing.

The rulers of racing need to take control back from the bookies and make it more about the horse than the betting. Courses will close but there's too much racing anyway, it will be tiered as its going that way now. There will be challenging times ahead but with the right people racing could flourish again but where are the right people
Report Gibberish March 31, 2014 9:28 PM BST
I mentioned this earlier but nobody's commented...have you seen some of these AW cards (especially in the evening) where every race has 7 or 11 runners? It's more than coincidence but I haven't got a clue just how they can manipulate it like they do.

There was an 8 race card at Kempton about three weeks ago..one maiden and SEVEN handicaps with 7 or 11 runners in them!
I never had a bet but it's disgusting to see that this is becoming more regular.
Report chipfire227 March 31, 2014 10:26 PM BST
Like steamship I got into gambling betting on horses ( and dogs ) and now the majority of my punting is done on football, rugby, and NFL. Why ? Because 99% of the time I'm backing a trier and I get a run for my money.

I just got sick of backing horses that weren't running on their merits. How many times do you hear a trainer say " the horse will need the run, might not go on the ground, might not stay the trip etc ? " How many times when interviewed after their horse has won do you hear them say " This was the horses target all season, or that they've laid it out specially for the race ? " How often do they tell you that before a race ?

Who wants to bet on something under those circumstances ? How do you encourage young people to bet on something they keep getting told is corrupt via press stories documenting people involved in the game ( owners, trainers, jockeys ) who have been warned off ? The only time the majority of them will want a horse bet is if you tell them you have a tip, i.e. you have some insider knowledge.

Racing may not be any more bent than it was 30 year ago, but lets be totally honest, a lot of the smaller tracks are little better than flapping tracks. Could anyone hand on heart for instance have a bet with confidence on a jumps race in which the majority of the horses are trained by certain Welsh trainers who operate on the very margins of legality ?
Report Blackwater April 1, 2014 12:19 AM BST
Gib, bad field sizes for EW betting is a bit of an old chestnut, specially when a NR changes the terms. But I suspect most novice punters don't really register the differnce between, let's say, a handicap with eight runners and one with eleven. It's more of a nuisance for those who have already been converted.

Another major issue that gets less play than it should is margins.

Someone betting on a horse race can expect to lose around a quarter of his stake every time. Meanwhile if we look at the Heineken Cup matches this weekend (to take one example) many firms will be betting evens on the handicap and 20/1 the draw. That's a margin of less than 5%, even before shopping around.

Granted, most punters don't know what overrounds are, but they feel the consequences in the their pockets fairly quickly.

Regardless of the sport, and regardless of integrity issues, screwing 20-30% out of your customers every time just isn't sustainable any more.
Report ebulGery April 1, 2014 12:47 AM BST

Mar 30, 2014 -- 8:51PM, TEABAGHDAD wrote:

1) Racing is a cruel blood money sport2) Nobody likes to see animals being whipped, younger generation are more caring of animal  rights3) horses die all the time  in racing, good people dont like this4) Majority of jockeys are amphetamine/cocaine  freaks allegedly, drug taking idols are cool with kids as the top music stars have proven but jockeys cant even sing or dance so make no appeal5) The majority of the racing community are backward imbreds who  are only interested in themselves. Kids today are smart and dont want to be associated wor pay to sustain these weirdos lifestyle6) the most famous race in the world and the one that all the non racing fans warch is the grand national, its also the one race in the calendar where you can almost  guarantee horses will die (genius)7) Nobody in racing is even slightly l likeable, from jockeys to trainers to owners to tv presenters all vile .As you can see Racing has no chance

if you feel that bad about it

why on earth are you on here all the time???????????????

Report ebulGery April 1, 2014 12:54 AM BST

Mar 30, 2014 -- 6:55PM, swingwhenuwinning wrote:

Much to slow for the kids now.97% pay out fobt to tempting.Days out at races always be ok but no way back for the day to day races.

yes..society has changed

also I remember when Horse/Dog racing was pretty well all you could bet on

Bet on anything now

Football is the choice of the young now

Far too much racing now as well

The world has changed as much as anything

Report NORTH BERWICK April 1, 2014 1:19 AM BST
To be brutally honest, ive lost interest in betting on or even watching horse racing as i think its full of crooks and cheats and im going to be parted from my money very quickly
Report ebulGery April 1, 2014 1:31 AM BST
bookmakers do not embrace the idea that less is better

they put on so much racing it is devalued

the flat season, by accident or design, is well planned out, we go from big meeting to the next

used to be on terrestrial TV

all bookies are interested in now, is putting on a race every 10 mins, so that there is always

something to bet on, quality is irrelevant

Neither of course is there  the money there used to about in the game, people cannot go to the

races and either win or lose a fortune in one day any more

I think racing should stick to the traditional though, one of its appeals imo

a lost world

At some point courses will start closing, like greyhound tracks
Report ebulGery April 1, 2014 1:36 AM BST
I don't think it will ever die out, just reduce

At one time is was just for the aristocracy, may eventually go back to that
Report metro john April 1, 2014 3:12 AM BST
The elite continue to believe growth is the only way,they exploit,overcharge on all goods and services,and the working man got nothing in their pockets,racing's decline was taking place well before 2008,the period of history after the two world wars can't be repeated,and slavery is rife again,the worlds economy being led by greedy psychopaths.
Report metro john April 1, 2014 3:39 AM BST
you get a 2% pay rise,they increase prices by 5-6%,year in year out,they do not take the bigger picture of their failed economy with any seriousness,they have been educated to make a profit for themselves,and so the head on slump continues.
Report metro john April 1, 2014 3:49 AM BST
If we ever see price freezes on goods and services(unlikely),no pay rises at all(unlikely),then we may be witnessing an attempt to rectify the bad,but education does not allow that,so the rapid progress towards the next major World war continues at pace.
Report THE-GHOST-OF-DICKIE-BIRD April 1, 2014 6:02 AM BST
5)people dying - no ones replacing them - the average age of punters must have shot up as all the under 30s play fobts(exactly what the bookies want).why cant the bha see that the bookies are slowly killing racing whilst weaning their customers over to the fobts.

SPOT ON.
Report RonC April 1, 2014 8:25 AM BST
Went to Plumpton yesterday and got the last space in the car park. The racing was competitive, weather was beautiful and backed two winners. Choose what you want from the sport and you will enjoy it. Back/Lay on Betfair everyday on dross at Southwell etc and you will soon become disillusioned with racing. Sadly the latter is what most people choose to do.
Report roggrain April 1, 2014 10:03 AM BST
Spot on Metro John.

It is all a pyramid scheme that will inevitably collapse.One thing's for sure,the wealthy will have made provision for themselves.
Report Barton Bank April 1, 2014 10:55 AM BST
Top five reasons in order imo
1) People have much more alternatives to Horse Racing for their entertainment and gambling activites, particularly the rise in football betting
2) As has been mentioned above, older punters dying off and not being replaced as young people are largely interested in betting on horses
3) The BHA/bookmaker driven agenda to put on as much racing as possible is turning people away from the game. Even long standing punters now are finding the game tedious. And all the race clashes really do not help
4) Perceived (often rightly) corruption puts people off the game.
5) FOBTs
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now