Forums

Horse Racing

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Glossy
05 Dec 13 20:18
| Topic/replies: 17,600 | Blogger: Glossy's blog
I mean after it has run its first race? Brought about by change of ownership or any other weird/wonderful reason?
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Has a racehorse ever had its name...
Show More
Report blackbarn December 5, 2013 8:20 PM GMT
Yes
Report Dunstall Park Snooper December 5, 2013 8:20 PM GMT
Shergar
Report Deltâ December 5, 2013 8:24 PM GMT
the shippers to hong kong do
Report blackbarn December 5, 2013 8:25 PM GMT
DeltaCool
Report Ile Postino December 5, 2013 8:25 PM GMT
Luck Or Design (who raced in Ireland originally), then went to Hong Kong and raced as Lucky Nine. Normally these names do not change in the stud book, but he had his name permanently changed as at one stage he was going to come in one of the G1 sprints at Royal Ascot (he runs on Sunday in Hong Kong).
Report Glossy December 5, 2013 8:26 PM GMT
Cheers IP.
Report Big_Issue December 5, 2013 8:34 PM GMT
I think rude names have been changed wasn't there some horse called Big Tits that had to change it's name for UK Racing?
Report ged December 5, 2013 8:37 PM GMT
Gay Navaree finished 4th in the 1962 Grand National. Fred Pontin bought it, renamed it Pontin-Go to promote his holiday camps, and it ran in the Grand National for the next 4 years under that name (aged 14 in the last one).
Report koikeeper December 5, 2013 8:38 PM GMT
After their 1st run some get their name changed to DonkeyGrin
Report ged December 5, 2013 8:40 PM GMT
One of Michael Stoute's was bought to race in Australia not long ago, but had to have its named changed (slightly) because a horse of his (original) name had won a Group 1 in Australia a couple of decades ago, and so the name was not reusable to race under their rules.
Report DUNERUNNER December 5, 2013 8:45 PM GMT
I don't know about horses, but I knew a bloke once called George Shyte and he absolutely hated it, so he changed his name by deed pole to Peter Shyte.
Report ged December 5, 2013 8:45 PM GMT
...it was called Imposing - 2nd in the Duke of Edinburgh at Royal Ascot in 2010 - had its named changed to I'm Imposing in Australia - was changed retrospectively in the RP results - but not in the race analysis).
Report johnn December 5, 2013 8:51 PM GMT
Kalaman's name was changed when he was sold abroad iirc.
Report Navel-Gazer December 5, 2013 8:57 PM GMT
Ged - I could've sworn that the ex-Cumani inmate My Quest For Peace was formerly called just Quest For Peace, though looking back through the form of its British runs on RP website, it seems to have always been MY QFP...I was under the impression there must've been an Aussie horse with the same name as the first time I noticed this anomaly was in last year's Melbourne Cup.

Maybe I'm just losing my marbles...it's a far more likely alternative Crazy
Report Ile Postino December 5, 2013 8:59 PM GMT
It was called Quest For Peace - if you look at the RP form analysis it has the name it raced here. Bit of a pain when you are looking for a horse on the RP which has been exported to places like Macau/Hong Kong as to them the original no longer exists!
Report collywobble December 5, 2013 8:59 PM GMT
Ged wasn't it Go Pontinental that Gay Navaree became?
Report dunlaying December 5, 2013 9:00 PM GMT
Did Schweppes change a name once ,many years ago,when ownership was a prize in an advertising campaign?
Report zilzal1 December 5, 2013 9:01 PM GMT
wasnt imperial stride renamed??
Report Navel-Gazer December 5, 2013 9:02 PM GMT
IP - thanks for clearing that up...I can't check as I don't subscribe to the RP.
Report ged December 5, 2013 9:05 PM GMT
collywobble - no that was a different horse, who took up where Pontin-Go finished, and ran in the Nationals of '67 and '68.
Report TiptheOdds December 5, 2013 9:09 PM GMT
Mark Prescott´s Comic Strip became Viva Pataka and became the richest earner with over 5m quid in Hong Kong
Report collywobble December 5, 2013 9:09 PM GMT
Ah thanks
I seem to remember another horse around that time called Out and About that I think had another name.
Report thelegend December 5, 2013 9:12 PM GMT
There is no doubt,a horse that landed a gamble for the pipes a few years ago had its name changed if im not mistaken.
Report thelegend December 5, 2013 9:16 PM GMT
sorry it was actually mrs helen bridges that trained it at the time
Report ged December 5, 2013 9:20 PM GMT
Yaazer had his name changed before he ran to something a bit more memorable.
Report Princesse D'Anjou December 5, 2013 9:31 PM GMT
One last year I think "No More Sambos", apparently Irish for no more sandwiches had its name changed due to the religious overtones the name has when it moved to the UK (forget what it changed to though).
Report ged December 5, 2013 9:38 PM GMT
I remember backing Crimson Coon once at Chester in the '70s. Doubt that name would be allowed now.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves December 5, 2013 11:25 PM GMT
Early on his career Howard Johnson, Crook, landed a gamble with a horse which had won an Irish point-to-point under another name. It was only afterwards that the rule was changed to prohibit renaming Irish pointers when they ran under Rules in Britain.

I'm afraid I can't recall the name(s) of the nag in question. It might have been one that sounded like a mare's name even though it was a gelding, if anyone has any old copies of Horses In Training from around the early 1990s.
Report judorick December 5, 2013 11:30 PM GMT
yes ! Dubai Millenium was not originally called that...
Report screaming from beneaththewaves December 5, 2013 11:35 PM GMT
Ged's already mentioned Yaazer, judorick.
Report salmon spray December 6, 2013 12:02 AM GMT
Used to be easy enough.
A poor handicapper I followed in the 60s was called Walstead (or something very like it)  but changed its name at 4 or 5 to Frank's Folly. Frank must have sold it a year or so later as it reverted back to the original
A rather better chaser was called Argeles then Farfelu then Argeles again ( or possibly vice versa.)
It appears to have been stopped worldwide for the most part except for HK where Comic Strip/Viva Pataca is the most famous example as pointed out earlier.
Report Ramruma December 6, 2013 12:14 AM GMT
Horses are routinely renamed for Hong Kong.

Didn't Michael Tabor have Saffron Walden renamed because the original spelling was wrong (or some other equally flimsy reason)?
Report breadnbutter December 6, 2013 2:20 AM GMT
Cacoethes trained by G.Harwood and ran 3rd in the derby in 89 was originally called "our friend Elvis " or summit like that .

Remember it causing raised eyebrows as no horse with a name change had ever won the derby so they said ,but thats prob incorrect
Report ThirdTimeLucky December 6, 2013 10:52 AM GMT
The 'Martin Pipe' trained creature , There Is No Doubt, that landed a massive gamble down at Exeter a few years ago. That was called by some French name, was transferred to a female trainer (David Pipe's, girlfriends mother?) then backed off the boards.
Apparently all the lads in the Pipe yard were waiting for it to run to get the Christmas money!
Report pumphol. December 6, 2013 11:04 AM GMT
I think a horse called Good Hand had a name change to Flockton Grey back in the early 80's Mischief
Report Rydal December 6, 2013 1:16 PM GMT
Many (40, 50?) years ago, a horse called "first for your thirst" was renamed "go gailey" (not sure of spelling), presumably because of the number of letters in the name.

The Irish greyhound club tended to let through names on the nod in the past. At the time that Alex Haley's book Roots became popular (the lead character was called ****a Kinte), one Irish dog was named ****a Fire and had to be renamed when it was sold to race in England.
Report Rydal December 6, 2013 1:18 PM GMT
The word checker didn't like K U N T A !
Report shudacuda December 6, 2013 1:19 PM GMT
Money Tree changed his name.
Report thelegend December 6, 2013 1:30 PM GMT
you are correct third time lucky.it was ridden by david pipes girlfriend aswell.
Report Brian December 6, 2013 1:30 PM GMT
Grand National winner Anglo (1965ish) was previously called Flag of Convenience although I don't know if he actually ran under that name.
Report ged December 6, 2013 1:42 PM GMT
..ran under that name as a 2yo.

..half brother to Red Alligator, who won the National 2 years later.
Report jackdaw December 6, 2013 3:50 PM GMT
i remember a filly called Prim Princess being renamed Hetty.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now