Forums

Horse Racing

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
turnip turns
09 Sep 13 10:11
| Topic/replies: 7,005 | Blogger: turnip turns's blog
Illegal drugs seized at Stansted Airport

A shipment containing thousands of pounds worth of unlicensed veterinary goods — including steroids, bute and anti-inflammatories — was stopped and seized at Stansted Airport at the beginning of the summer (3 May), it has emerged.

The shipment is understood to have contained performance-boosting drugs. They were listed as “horse tack” and brought in on a private plane, which was seized by Border Force officers.

“These medications have the potential to be used to enhance performance in horses, as well as more routine use in general equine practice to combat disease,” said H&H vet Karen Coumbe.

Defra was informed and the drugs were destroyed. It is not known for where the shipment was bound.

Leading vets have expressed concern that the importation of illegal and unlicensed drugs from overseas poses a “real threat” to equine health and welfare.

Keith Chandler, president of the British Equine Veterinary Association (BEVA), told H&H: “Unlicensed drugs have not passed the UK’s stringent safety and efficacy tests and therefore there is a risk that they could cause serious harm to horses.

“In the UK, the Veterinary Medicines Directorate [VMD] does a good job of protecting the availability of medicines for all animals.

“We are conscious that this sort of illegal importation puts at risk our whole system of medicines control and has potentially damaging knock-on effects regarding the availability of licensed medicines for sport horses and pleasure horses,” he added.

Earlier this year, the Godolphin doping scandal threw light on the use of unlicensed performance-boosting drugs in the racing industry.

In April, it emerged that the disgraced former trainer, Mahmood al Zarooni, had brought synthetic anabolic steroids, including stanozolol — which are banned in this country — into the UK in his suitcase when returning from Dubai.

This news story was first published in Horse & Hound magazine (5 September, 2013)

Originally published on horseandhound.co.uk 9th September 2013

Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/illegal-drugs-seized-at-stansted-airport/#bFW2yLcMe2v4sI0T.99

Wonder where those were heading ?
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Illegal drugs seized at Stansted Airport
Show More
Report Trusty September 9, 2013 11:53 AM BST
brought in on a private plane so whose plane was it and/or who hired it? Not rocket science this investigation surely. Stansted handy for HQ as well.
Report millhouse September 9, 2013 12:06 PM BST
Is there anyone left now that doesn't believe that there is loads more to this doping saga than the BHA, which has a vested financial interest in ensuring punter confidence in its product, has chosen to reveal, imo...?
Report Ramruma September 9, 2013 12:12 PM BST
Doubtless the Racing Post's top investigative reporters will now be on the case, so expect a full front-page scoop just as soon as Bruce has walked down to the newsagent to buy a copy of Horse and Hound.
Report turnip turns September 9, 2013 12:23 PM BST
Millhouse,there's clearly something going on in racing that they don't wish us to know about,from the outset of the Godolphin case it was all too cosy between them and the BHA and i don't like the fact that alot of information has been held back,why? you have to ask yourself.
Report mange September 9, 2013 12:26 PM BST
You cant imagine a plane load of gear coming in unless it was as good as sold...............
Report turnip turns September 9, 2013 12:35 PM BST
Correct Mange
Report desperatemunter September 9, 2013 12:37 PM BST
the whole mountain rests upon 'it is not known where the drugs were bound' - I guess the authority to divulge this information lies solely with the pilot, although i may be wrong about that. There won't be adress labels on the packages.   His - or someone elses/ - head alone holds that information.   presumably they cannot be compelled to divulge it, or else that is what the authorities would do.  Yet isn't that the clearest 'obstruction of justice' possible?    Doesn't add up.
Report THE-GHOST-OF-DICKIE-BIRD September 9, 2013 1:12 PM BST
Goldolphin/shakey employs 100s in Newmkt.

They will not dare question shakey too much, scared sh itless he will pack up his toys and move out of h q.

The horse boxes came the very next day, when shakey and the great HRACLove Had a fall out.

THE UNTOUCHABLES
Devil
Report pedrobob September 9, 2013 1:43 PM BST
apart from the words Al Zarooni Air on the side of the plane, the authorities have no idea where the drugs came from or were headed....
Report Big Boss September 9, 2013 1:51 PM BST
"FLY EMIRATES" on the fin of the plane, BHA still have a team working on who is behind the shipment Laugh
Report gutfeeling September 9, 2013 1:55 PM BST
Why land at Stansted when they could have landed on HQ's very own landing strip,Pilot must have been sampling the cargo.
Report Oceanfinance September 9, 2013 2:27 PM BST
I think we can safely assume the NORTH YORKSHIRE batches have been getting through.
Report turnip turns September 9, 2013 5:57 PM BST
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/illegal-drugs-seized-at-stansted-airport/
Report onlooker September 9, 2013 6:03 PM BST
"Border Force Officers" - a bit too fast 'out of the blocks' here, though.Sad

They usually wait until the shipment is collected -  then follow it to it's destination .... in order to then - 'get the double up'.

What a shame that they did NOT do that procedure, here. Sad
Report turnip turns September 9, 2013 7:43 PM BST
Seizure

Seizure Notices issued under Regulation 41 of the Veterinary Medicines Regulations (VMR)

August 2013

Countrywide Farmers plc, Johnstown, Carmarthen. Eight vaccines were seized because they had been stored in a way that affects their quality and hence safety and efficacy. These vaccines; Covexin 8, Footvax, Bravoxin 10, Heptavac P Plus and Ovivac P Plus are vaccines for the immunisation of cattle and/or sheep.

Moorley Farm East, Newmarket. 124 veterinary medicinal products were seized because they were not authorised in the UK and had not been imported into the UK in accordance with the Regulations. These medicines, in varying quantities, were to be used on horses and included injectables, anaesthetics, anti â€"inflammatories and antibiotics.

http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/public/enforcement_notices.aspx#seizure
Report turnip turns September 9, 2013 7:47 PM BST
Directory of Turf Search » Stud Farms » UK » Suffolk » Darley Stud Management Co Ltd - Moorley East Farm
Darley Stud Management Co Ltd - Moorley East Farm
Duchess Drive, Newmarket, Suffolk, CB8 9HE, UK

Tel: +44 (0)1638 730070 (Stallion Bookings) +44 (0)1638 732305

Fax: +44 (0)1638 730167

Send us an Email Visit our Website Add to My Folder Update

Owner(s):

Darley Stud Management Co Ltd

Director(s):

Liam O'Rourke

Manager(s):

Assistant Stud Managers: Ray Eyre, Jim Moss

Size of Farm:

73 acres

Type of Services Offered:

Boarding Mares
Report foxy September 9, 2013 7:47 PM BST
thankfully national hunt racing is straight.
Report guinness2dear September 9, 2013 7:48 PM BST
Keep up the good fight, TT..
Report turnip turns September 9, 2013 8:07 PM BST
Gotta start wondering wtf is going here, Moorley East Farm being the connection  and why some serious questions aren't getting asked .
Report turnip turns September 9, 2013 8:45 PM BST
g2d,as i've said before its not me getting all this stuff,i is just passing it on Mischief

hope you're good btwCool
Report Ramruma September 9, 2013 8:57 PM BST
3 May -- when the plane was searched in the OP's Horse and Hound story -- was the day before the Guineas where Clare Balding asked Sheikh Mohammed about steroids, a fortnight or so after Al Zarooni had been caught.

But the August seizure @turnip turns has found is gobsmacking. It beggars belief that illegal drugs would be found just last month at a Darley Stud subsidiary.
Report homefortea September 9, 2013 9:03 PM BST
"Border Force Officers"

Feck me that have not actually found someone/something/anything between the hours of 9-5 with an hour for lunch....Shocked Monday to Friday...Laugh
Report homefortea September 9, 2013 9:04 PM BST
feck me they...
Report turnip turns September 9, 2013 9:38 PM BST
Ramruma    you really have to wonder why nothing has been mentioned over that seizure in August,either the BHA are clueless or...................
Report turnip turns September 9, 2013 11:41 PM BST
wonder if racing could have a similar problem to the BALCO scandal in athletics ,trainers using drugs going undetected ? or maybe are horses being given something that does enhance their performance but is legit ?
Report onlooker September 10, 2013 12:01 AM BST
WHATEVER - this is ALL beginning to look 'a little too coincidental'.
Report gutfeeling September 10, 2013 2:47 AM BST
BHA have no power to walk into a Pre-Training yard,No wonder there are so many of them in HQ.
Report Happy Valley September 10, 2013 4:32 AM BST
if you don't mind me saying, I did stress at the time one of the most important things in the investigation was to establish the source of the drugs. Presumably there was somewhere the drugs were being stored and given the industrial scale of the doping there would have to be a large quantity at anyone time and they would all have batch numbers. it should have been possible to establish a supply chain.

and quite why the authorities didn't allow the drugs to be delivered and then pinch everyone, as onlooker says, is odd and unusual.
Report millhouse September 10, 2013 8:05 AM BST
Gotta start wondering wtf is going here, Moorley East Farm being the connection  and why some serious questions aren't getting asked

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but as far as every single sector of this industry is concerned, there is now only one agenda, and that's to keep losing punters betting. You might as well ask for the trees to turn into candy floss than expect anyone to ask too many difficult questions about horses getting injected with performance enhancing drugs, when the jobs of everyone in this industry now relies on punters continuing to have faith in the betting product.

The media is controlled, owned or in commercial partnership with the bookmaking industry, the BHA have a vested financial interest in the profitability of the bookmakers, and the racecourses rely on the bookmaking industry for all of their major sponsorship.

The role of everyone who works in this industry is actually now to minimise and conceal things like this drug scandal wherever possible, so that we keep on betting, and the whole gravy soaked train keeps-a-chugging along.

We as punters have two choices - we either find a way to represent all of our interests as a group, so that we can publicly ask these questions for ourselves, or we just bend over and carry on getting shafted.

No one, repeat no one is ever going to fight our corner, in any shape or form. Our role is now to be exploited wherever possible...
Report Ramruma September 10, 2013 8:14 AM BST
I suspect they are more worried about Sheikh Mohammed taking his ball home, which would decimate racing.
Report millhouse September 10, 2013 8:18 AM BST
Would it really Ramruma - and if his staff are systematically injecting his horses with performance enhancing drugs then that's already happening...
Report Ramruma September 10, 2013 8:18 AM BST
and quite why the authorities didn't allow the drugs to be delivered and then pinch everyone, as onlooker says, is odd and unusual.

The "authorities" meaning Border Force would likely not have cared very much about a few hundred quids' worth of veterinary drugs with no street value as recreational drugs, and the "authorities" meaning BHA would not have been consulted.
Report Happy Valley September 10, 2013 8:19 AM BST
I think you are both right, the racing publications definitely need the bookies advertising revenue and the BHA is sh!t scared of sheikh mohammed withdrawing from Uk racing if they persued a proper investigation and that would clearly mean the loss of lots of jobs. it is a very difficult position for them.

btw, can you imagine the stockpile of medication it would have taken for the doping to have occurred, involving the number of horses it did and over the time period, the idea that one man brought this in himself is laughable.
Report Happy Valley September 10, 2013 8:22 AM BST
foxy - I would think milk-shaking (pun intended, naturallyHappy) may still be a significant problem in NH racing
Report hardestgame September 10, 2013 8:23 AM BST
it so nice to have the sheikhs ruling over british racing
good olds days when kings,dukes and lords ran the show
Report Happy Valley September 10, 2013 8:23 AM BST
(milk-shaking being the use of bicarb of soda drench or now in gelatin capsule form) shortly before a race in order to prevent build-up of lactic acid)

one leading aussie vet said to me milk-shaking remains the best go-fast he knows
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl September 10, 2013 8:37 AM BST
Very good post from millhouse 8.05 10/09/13. That's the way it is in every walk of life.
Report Ramruma September 10, 2013 8:37 AM BST
@millhouse -- Sheikh Mohammed is a substantial part of racing's economy on both the breeding and racing sides. If he walks away, a lot of jobs will be lost. There is no natural replacement: your modern billionaire prefers football and motor racing as sports, and yachts and art as hobbies.

But I suspect this is more ****-up than cover-up, let alone conspiracy, and that neither the BHA nor the so-called journalists on the Racing Post even realised DEFRA published confiscations on its website till they read it in the Horse and Hound or on this forum. Even the Godolphin/Darley Stud "clean-up" failed either to find or to properly hide (depending on your degree of cynicism) these latest drugs.
Report Ramruma September 10, 2013 8:43 AM BST
@Happy Valley re milkshakes. You are probably right, especially if we are betting without "wind ops".

Some years back, I asked the then BHA (or possibly Jockey Club) about milkshakes and the eventual reply was that they were probably banned as part of a catch-all on unnatural substances but that there was no test.
Report millhouse September 10, 2013 8:43 AM BST
Ramruma, post the after shock, I think it would actually create a healthier industry in the long term, where more owners could actually hope for, or at least see a pathway for some success.

Top class horses would still exist, they just wouldn't be virtually exclusively owned by two groups of people.

And as said above, if his staff are injecting his horses with performance enhancing drugs, racing is well rid of him, imo...
Report Ramruma September 10, 2013 8:46 AM BST
@millhouse -- Top class horses would still exist

Yes but they'd stay in America.

And the jobs in racing and breeding would be replaced by jobs building housing estates in Newmarket.
Report turnip turns September 10, 2013 10:03 AM BST
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?632791-Illegal-drugs-se...
Report Terry September 10, 2013 10:30 AM BST
On Twitter
Francis Keogh ‏@HonestFrank 7m
Re Newmarket/Stansted 'drug' seizures, British Horseracing Authority says Defra view was 'they were not linked with racing in any way'
Report turnip turns September 10, 2013 10:37 AM BST
Terry,yeah seen that and that may well be the case but it doesn't explain this connection with Darley.

Seizure Notices issued under Regulation 41 of the Veterinary Medicines Regulations (VMR)

August 2013

Countrywide Farmers plc, Johnstown, Carmarthen. Eight vaccines were seized because they had been stored in a way that affects their quality and hence safety and efficacy. These vaccines; Covexin 8, Footvax, Bravoxin 10, Heptavac P Plus and Ovivac P Plus are vaccines for the immunisation of cattle and/or sheep.

Moorley Farm East, Newmarket. 124 veterinary medicinal products were seized because they were not authorised in the UK and had not been imported into the UK in accordance with the Regulations. These medicines, in varying quantities, were to be used on horses and included injectables, anaesthetics, anti â€"inflammatories and antibiotics.

http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/public/enforcement_notices.aspx#seizure

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directory of Turf Search » Stud Farms » UK » Suffolk » Darley Stud Management Co Ltd - Moorley East Farm
Darley Stud Management Co Ltd - Moorley East Farm
Duchess Drive, Newmarket, Suffolk, CB8 9HE, UK

Tel: +44 (0)1638 730070 (Stallion Bookings) +44 (0)1638 732305

Fax: +44 (0)1638 730167

Send us an Email Visit our Website Add to My Folder Update
Report zipper September 10, 2013 11:18 AM BST
Know wonder The BBC walked away from racing ..
This mess needs  clearing up and fast
Report millhouse September 10, 2013 11:32 AM BST
Nice work Turnip Turns...
Report saddo September 10, 2013 11:34 AM BST
Agree, if only the press were as diligent, imagine what they could find.
Report scaredmoney September 10, 2013 11:37 AM BST
They must have huge carpets in Newmarket for this little lot to be brushed under.

Angry Angry Angry
Report dan hardcore September 10, 2013 11:37 AM BST
Great work again TT.
Report turnip turns September 10, 2013 11:53 AM BST
Thanks all but i must reiterate that i is only the messenger,the detective work is being done by Dan Kelly @muffinmannhc  on twitter with various peeps helping out along the way.

But this is important and needs airing particularly on here,i would be amazed if there isn't somebody on this forum who doesn't know wtf is going on here.
Report dan hardcore September 10, 2013 11:55 AM BST
I thought that was you tbh! Well done him anyway.
Report guinness2dear September 10, 2013 11:55 AM BST
I think my Welsh milkshake fred needs a bump...
Report turnip turns September 10, 2013 11:58 AM BST
Dan,no not meMischief

g2d,away you go then Cool
Report scaredmoney September 10, 2013 12:02 PM BST
His twitter isnt a bad read for anyone interested.
Report Happy Valley September 10, 2013 1:25 PM BST
guinness2D - please repost your welsh milkshake fred.
Report gerard September 10, 2013 1:38 PM BST
Turnip Turns, I too assumed you were obviously Dan - jeez, you'll be telling me you are not PP King next....
Report turnip turns September 10, 2013 1:42 PM BST
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together. Mischief
Report guinness2dear September 10, 2013 1:49 PM BST
I am NOT a walrus..
Report Happy Valley September 10, 2013 1:56 PM BST
turnipT - yes great work. super big bravo. have you contacted the BHA?
Report gerard September 10, 2013 1:57 PM BST
No, but you could shed a pound or two in fairness.....Wink
Report turnip turns September 10, 2013 1:59 PM BST
HV,am sure Paul Bittar has been made aware of this.

gerard Grin
Report Oceanfinance September 10, 2013 2:35 PM BST
It would be nice if the Racing Post could confirm with DEFRA whether racing wasn't involved or not, as opposed to the BHA telling us this is what was said. As the old saying goes "well they would say that wouldn't they?"

Also I think milkshakes are the least of our worries, THEY have much better stuff.
Report saddo September 10, 2013 2:43 PM BST
Al Zarooni's taxi driver not happy.

http://infomotions.com/musings/ockham-2003/Images/0.jpg
Report turnip turns September 10, 2013 2:58 PM BST
SaddoMischief
Report Happy Valley September 10, 2013 3:14 PM BST
OceanF - we will have to disagree on that one.
Report Oceanfinance September 10, 2013 3:55 PM BST
The mighty matt gingell was using milkshakes wasnt he? Dont think they compare much to steroids tbh, HV.
Report elisjohn September 10, 2013 4:56 PM BST
racing post today, small column page 4 in brief,
the bha said yesterday a shippmentof unlicenced vetinery products, reported to contain steroids and seized at Stansted airport, had NO  connection with racing.bha spokesman,robin mounsey said, "the vmd let us know the case was nothing to do with racing. the products were not intended for racehorses."" Laugh
Report turnip turns September 10, 2013 5:11 PM BST
elisjohnLaughCool  wonder if the post will mention anything concerning  Moorley East FarmTongue Out
Report turnip turns September 10, 2013 5:15 PM BST
BHA: No racing link to drugs seizure
Last Updated: September 10 2013, 15:59 BST
Officials at the British Horseracing Authority insist they have been reassured that a consignment of veterinary products not licensed for use in Britain seized from Moorley Farm East in Newmarket last month has no link to the racing industry.

Related ContentLive horse racing resultsRacecards and formLatest non-runnersLatest video form
Moorley Farm is listed as owned by Darley Stud Management Co Ltd, the banner company of Sheikh Mohammed's breeding operation.

Sheikh Mohammed's then-Godolphin trainer Mahmood Al Zarooni hit the headlines in April when banned for eight years after samples taken from a number of horses in his care were found to contain traces of an anabolic steroid.

BHA spokesman Robin Mounsey said: "This issue is a matter for Defra (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs).

"The BHA became aware of the seizure from Moorley Farm as a consequence of our existing working relationship with Defra, as two regulatory bodies with interests which are occasionally shared.

"Defra notified us of the seizure of veterinary care products which are not all licensed for use in the UK. They also clarified that in the view of the Defra there is no link between the seizure and the racing industry and the products were not intended for use on thoroughbreds.

"The property in question is not licensed by the BHA and we understand it is not part of Darley's racing operation."

Darley Stud director Liam O'Rourke said: "I am not in the country at the moment, I haven't read the story and I am keeping it at arms length.

"It (Moorley Farm) is owned by Darley, but we have nothing to do with the day-to-day running of it.

"I couldn't tell you anything about the people that work there. There is no connection on the thoroughbred side."

A posting on vmd.defra.gov.uk read: "Moorley Farm East, Newmarket. 124 veterinary medicinal products were seized because they were not authorised in the UK and had not been imported into the UK in accordance with the regulations.

"These medicines, in varying quantities, were to be used on horses and included injectables, anaesthetics, anti-inflammatories and antibiotics."

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/465/8914985/bha-no-racing-link-to-drugs-seizure
Report Too Easy September 10, 2013 5:38 PM BST
"I couldn't tell you anything about the people that work there. There is no connection on the thoroughbred side."

LOL!!  You might think it your business to find out
Report turnip turns September 10, 2013 5:52 PM BST
Unauthorised medicines seized at Sheikh's stud

BY GRAHAM GREEN 4:56PM 10 SEP 2013

SHEIKH MOHAMMED is facing fresh embarrassment following the seizure of 124 medical products, none of which have been approved for use on horses in Britain, at part of his Dalham Hall Stud operation in Newmarket.

Although there is no suspicion the haul was destined for the thoroughbred side of the sheikh's operation, the discovery of so many unauthorised medicines on the premises comes in the wake of the doping scandal earlier this year caused by disgraced Godolphin trainer Mahmood Al Zarooni, since banned from the sport for eight years.

The products, which have not been named, were found at Moorley Farm East, which provides the base within the sprawling estate for the endurance horses owned by members of the Maktoum family.

Last month's intelligence-led search of the property was conducted by officials from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) on behalf of the Veterinary Medicines Directorate, the agency responsible for issues concerning the use and manufacture of veterinary medicines in Britain.

It is not known whether investigators were acting on information gained following the seizure by Border Force officers of unlicensed veterinary products, listed as 'horse tack', from a private plane after landing at Stansted airport in May. In that instance, the BHA said it was satisfied the shipment was not linked to racing.

The latest seizure notice, issued under regulation 41 of Veterinary Medicines Regulations and posted on the VMD website, said: "Moorley Farm East, Newmarket. 124 veterinary medicinal products were seized because they were not authorised in the UK and had not been imported into the UK in accordance with the regulations. These medicines, in varying quantities, were to be used on horses and included injectables, anaesthetics, anti-inflammatories and antibiotics."

Asked about the latest controversy to embroil Sheikh Mohammed's equine empire, Dalham Hall Stud director Liam O'Rourke, said on Tuesday: "There's no connection with the thoroughbred operation."

BHA spokesman Robin Mounsey said the issue was a matter for Defra. He added: "The property in question is not licensed by the BHA and we understand it isn't part of Darley's racing operation."

So thats that then ffsCrazy

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/sheikh-mohammed-unauthorised-medicines-seized-at-sheikhs-stud/1527628/top/#newsArchiveTabs=last7DaysNews
Report Magic__Daps September 10, 2013 6:28 PM BST
It makes you wonder how much gets swept under the carpet, if it don't make it on here first nobody hears about it. I cannot think why nobody has any respect for the BHA, they are a complete laughing stock with how they so say run the sport. Maybe the sheik would have took his ball and ran away if he was named, but surely at least it sends a message out. The only message that Bittar and co get across is if you have money and a bit of clout you can do as you wish.

This sport will never be cleaned up whilst the current bunch are in charge imo..
Report turnip turns September 10, 2013 7:19 PM BST
Exactly Magic_Daps i doubt very much this would be out in the open if not for here and twitter.
Report dewey September 10, 2013 7:22 PM BST
Oh!!  Really?!!!.....................well there's a surprise!
Report turnip turns September 10, 2013 7:39 PM BST
Not here it isn't Mischief
Report dewey September 10, 2013 7:51 PM BST
Wink
Report turnip turns September 10, 2013 8:01 PM BST
Mischief
Report Blades September 10, 2013 8:08 PM BST
What you lot on about? Racing is 100% straight and clean!!CrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazy
Report turnip turns September 10, 2013 8:37 PM BST
Banned veterinary products seized at Moorley Farm in Newmarket
• Swoop will add to Sheikh Mohammed's embarrassment
• Raid follows Godolphin drugs scandal earlier this year
Share 0

James Riach
The Guardian, Tuesday 10 September 2013 20.24 BST

Sheikh Mohammed
The news that a farm connected to the Darley Stud has been raided is a fresh embarrassment for Sheikh Mohammed. Photograph: Alan Crowhurst/Getty Images
A substantial number of banned veterinary products have been seized from a location connected to Sheikh Mohammed's Darley Stud operation, potentially causing fresh embarrassment in the aftermath of the Godolphin doping scandal.

Darley Stud Management Co Ltd and the British Horseracing Authority insist that the 124 products – including injectables, anaesthetics, anti-inflammatories and antibiotics – seized at Moorley Farm East in Newmarket last month have nothing to do with the organisation's thoroughbread operation. However, Moorley is listed as being owned by Darley Stud, the banner company of Sheikh Mohammed's breeding operation.

The Sheikh's operation was engulfed in crisis earlier this year after a number of horses in the Godolphin stable tested positive for anabolic steroids. The stable's former trainer, Mahmood al-Zarooni, received an eight-year ban from the BHA for his role in the scandal.

Sheikh Mohammed said he was "appalled and angered" by the revelations from Zarooni that he used anabolic steroids on 15 Godolphin horses and this latest incident could serve to embarrass him further.

On Tuesday Darley Stud claimed Moorley Farm was not part of its operation and had been leased out to a separate endurance stable. The organisation's director, Liam O'Rourke, said: "It [Moorley Farm] is owned by Darley, but we have nothing to do with the day-to-day running of it. I couldn't tell you anything about the people that work there. There is no connection on the thoroughbred side."

The Darley Stud director of stallions, Sam Bullard, added: "It's nothing to do with us. Moorley Farm was leased to an endurance stable which is nothing to do with Darley at all. There is no link with the thoroughbred farm at all and we are not responsible for the horses there."

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs carried out last month's search at Moorley on behalf of the Veterinary Medicines Directorate. No anabolic steroids were found but the 124 veterinary care products "were seized because they were not authorised in the UK and had not been imported into the UK in accordance with the regulations".

Robin Mounsey, a spokesman for the BHA, said: "Defra notified us of the seizure of veterinary care products which are not all licensed for use in the UK. They also clarified that in the view of the Defra there is no link between the seizure and the racing industry and the products were not intended for use on thoroughbreds.

"The property in question is not licensed by the BHA and we understand it is not part of Darley's racing operation."

Meanwhile, Defra is currently making a separate, unrelated investigation into a shipment of illegal veterinary goods that was flown into Stansted airport in May on the eve of the Guineas meeting at Newmarket. The banned substances were destroyed by Defra officials and allegedly included steroids, bute and anti-inflammatories.

A statement by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate read: "UK Border Force at Stansted stopped a shipment which was then subsequently seized. This shipment contained a large quantity of veterinary medicines, the majority for the use in horses, and included vaccines, sedatives and antibiotics."
Report BJG September 10, 2013 10:36 PM BST
Poor Sheikh Mo, clearly knows nothing about this and Al Zarooni hired a specialist team to plant all this stuff Cool

Hope he doesnt get the book thrown at him
Report turnip turns September 10, 2013 10:37 PM BST
Mischief
Report turnip turns September 10, 2013 10:37 PM BST
Mischief
Report Dr Gonzo September 10, 2013 11:11 PM BST
You've gotta love the politicking going on here.

Notice how it's someone from Darley saying "it's nothing to do with Darley". Is it anything to do with the person 'leasing' the place who also, coincidentally of course, owns the place?

Otherwise it seems remarkable that Darley would be happy to lease out property to someone who is using it to store unlicensed medication...
Report silvergreaser September 11, 2013 10:51 AM BST
Must be plenty of these drugs getting through at Leeds/Bradford?.
Report xmoneyx September 11, 2013 11:10 AM BST
BHA have found a farm, DI,ANA,BOL
And on the farm they found some foals,DI,ANA,BOL
With a jab jab here and a jab jab there,
Here a jab, there a jab, ev'rywhere a jab,jab
BHA have found a farm,DI,ANA,BOL
Report turnip turns September 11, 2013 11:53 AM BST
Laugh
Report Happy Valley September 11, 2013 5:37 PM BST
i wonder who chartered the plane and who paid for the drugs?

i also wonder if the BHA have even bothered to find out?
Report roggrain September 11, 2013 5:42 PM BST
The BHA doesn't want to find out in case it's someone connected with racing!
Report saddo September 11, 2013 5:51 PM BST
http://www.socialsciencespace.com/wp-content/uploads/monkeys_22027_lg.gif
Report Hushwing. September 11, 2013 6:06 PM BST
think we'll see him basing more horses with Bolger next season, ain't no drug rules over thereCrazy

BHB can't police this and they shouldn't never tried imo
Report Too Easy September 11, 2013 7:29 PM BST
Surprised there hasn't been more about this.

Fans of the sport are being taken for a ride.
Report turnip turns September 11, 2013 7:49 PM BST
Sadly its not surprising too easyCry its what THEY want to happen and will quickly be brushed under the carpet,the BHA have proved without doubt that they are completely gutless on these matters unless you happen to be some two bit trainer,if you have breeding and/or money the racing world is your oyster .
Report turnip turns September 11, 2013 8:10 PM BST
Endurance trainer denies wrongdoing
Last Updated: September 11 2013, 19:43 BST
Endurance trainer Jaume Punti Dachs insists there was no suggestion of "wilful or careless wrongdoing" after a consignment of his veterinary products was seized from Moorley Farm East in Newmarket last month.

Punti Dachs, who trains endurance horses on Sheikh Mohammed's estate, said the medical products which were taken by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate were "lawfully and legally" used in the United Kingdom.

The Spanish-born handler said in a statement: "My stables in Newmarket was visited by the Defra (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) authorities early August, where they searched the premises, and found normal medications that I brought to the UK and they confiscated them because they are not licensed in this country.

"My wife and I compete regularly in the endurance sport, and I am proud that we hold the 2009 European Championships, and 2010 World Championship for Spain and totally expected 'visits' like this.

"These 'visits' are natural/routine. These are all substances that you can buy in the UK, under a different trade name, and are standard medicine cabinet in any stables. I know that these medicines are lawfully and legally used in the UK.

"However, the make/labels of the veterinary medicines in this case may be slightly different as they were purchased by me outside the UK, and the authorities know that.

"They explained to me after their visit how to source the same medicines at the Newmarket Equine Hospital, and the following day I went and got them.

"In the circumstances, VMD (Veterinary Medicines Directorate) were entirely entitled to confiscate the products. I am fully satisfied with their actions.

"I must emphasise that there is no indication whatsoever or any suggestion of any wilful or careless wrongdoing."

Sheikh Mohammed's then-Godolphin trainer Mahmood Al Zarooni caused a scandal in April when banned for eight years after samples taken from a number of horses in his care were found to contain traces of an anabolic steroid.
Report guinness2dear September 11, 2013 8:11 PM BST
Viva Espana!!!
Report turnip turns September 11, 2013 8:18 PM BST
Aye g2d ,i can hear carpets being swept Tongue Out
Report guinness2dear September 11, 2013 8:20 PM BST
It's a wonder they never delegated a Welshman to cop for it...
Report turnip turns September 11, 2013 8:30 PM BST
Mischief
Report know all September 11, 2013 8:59 PM BST
crossing the line Charlie brooks book
1-50 on amazon
This is a candid commentary on the state of the horse racing industry today. The book takes a look at what owners, trainers, jockeys and bookmakers are up to; and what is going on behind closed stable doors. Charlie Brooks is a former racehorse trainer, and here he takes the lid off the racing world. He talks openly about who is winning and losing in a sport riven by factional interests. It also includes the full story of why he was arrested in connection with race-fixing allegations and his subsequent clearance.

around the late 90s exposed the large use of milkshakes and I remember it well horses winning with stones in hand then testing started and they raided a few yards these multi winning trainers became winner less very quickly, you have to wonder what they are using now as some of these trainers are winning with donkeys the flat as I have said before is finished apart from the big meetings and even some of them are dodgy, we are seeing the slow death of flat racing in a flurry of doping, corruption
Report turnip turns September 14, 2013 9:36 AM BST
Latest drugs scandal casts shadow over Sheikh Mohammed - the most powerful man in racing
14 Sep 2013 08:30
The seizure of a cache of 124 unlicensed veterinary medicines from the sheikh's stud is concerning for the sport of racing, writes David Yates

It was back in June 1977 that the John Dunlop-trained Hatta won Brighton’s Bevendene Maiden Stakes to give Sheikh Mohammed his first victory as a racehorse owner.

In the intervening years, the sheikh, his family and associates have won thousands of races — including hundreds at the highest level — and reshaped the landscape of the British turf.

The universally accepted way of viewing the Maktoums’ patronage of racing — not once have I heard contrary sentiments expressed in public — is to see it as nearly four decades of beneficence.

Racing is needy and the Maktoums are wealthy. We are lucky to have them — but, in every relationship, there is a tipping point. On Tuesday, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs announced the seizure of a cache of 124 unlicensed veterinary medicines at Moorley Farm, part of Sheikh Mohammed’s Dalham Hall Stud estate in Newmarket.

Moorley Farm is where endurance horses — who compete in long-distance events of up to 100 miles, held in Britain and all over the world — not thoroughbreds, are housed, so the British Horseracing Authority immediately distanced itself from action.

On Wednesday, the Maktoums’ endurance trainer Jaume Punti Dachs issued a statement to protest there was “nothing sinister” about the affair — although DEFRA has yet to conclude its report, and a criminal investigation by the police remains a possibility.

Whatever the outcome, clouds of suspicion have once more gathered over the link between unlicensed — and therefore illegal - substances and the Maktoums’ interests in equine competition.

Nobody should need reminding of the last episode — in April, Godolphin trainer Mahmood Al Zarooni was warned off for eight years for multiple anabolic steroids abuses to thoroughbreds under his care at the operation’s Moulton Paddocks stable in Newmarket.

Among them was Encke, the horse whose 25-1 victory in the 2012 St Leger — the horse’s post-race test at Doncaster was negative — robbed Camelot of a place in history as the first Triple Crown winner since Nijinsky. The Al Zarooni drug scandal was the most infamous in
500 years of horseracing in this country — but the list of misdemeanours stretches further back.

According to the International Equine Federation’s public records, since 2005, no fewer than 20 of Sheikh Mohammed’s endurance horses have been the subject of positive tests.

In 2009, the sheikh himself was suspended for six months after samples taken from Tahhan, a horse he rode in endurance contests in Bahrain and Dubai, showed traces of the beta blocker guanabenz and the steroid stanozolol.

Three years earlier, Ismail Mohammed, who now trains in Newmarket but who previously handled the family’s horses in Dubai, was banned for one year for doping two horses.

Mubarak bin Shafya, best known in the thoroughbred world for saddling the Maktoums’ Gladiatorus and Eastern Anthem to a spectacular double on Dubai World Cup night in 2009 — as well as employing Al Zarooni as his assistant — has twice been sanctioned for doping endurance horses, including serving a ban of two years.

In cases of transgression the conclusion reached by both the British Horseracing Authority and the International Equine Federation was to pin the blame on the trainer, portrayed as a rogue employee prepared to break the rules in order to gain success and impress the boss.

To many it will sound like heresy — or commercial suicide — to raise a questioning voice.

After all, the racing interests of the Maktoum family and its associates are responsible for giving work to thousands within the industry.

It owns the deeds to vast swathes of property in Newmarket and elsewhere, and on these pages John Berry, the Suffolk town’s erudite trainer, estimated that half of its racing employees would be hit if the Maktoums upped sticks and moved on to football or Formula 1.

A Maktoum exodus would, in the short term, inflict severe harm on British horseracing.

But a sport puts itself in a perilous place when one single interest becomes a behemoth — and all dissent is snuffed out.

Racing in Britain, like everywhere else, is built on a foundation of punter confidence — but that bedrock will turn to quicksand if the public perceive that some playing the game, by dint of the noughts in their bank account, are beyond the law.

In the case of Dubai’s ruling family, the tipping point may not yet have been reached, but — whisper this quietly — it feels significantly closer than it did when Encke won the oldest Classic 12 months ago.
Report silvergreaser September 14, 2013 11:28 AM BST
All you have to do is look at how a lot his horses mop up races in Dubai but when they come to Britain they don't show a semblance of the form they were showing in Dubai, so I'd say it was more than steroids in Dubai?, are you going to be the one to test the Dubai ruling families horses in their own principality?.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now