Forums

Horse Racing

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
turnip turns
09 Sep 13 10:11
| Topic/replies: 7,012 | Blogger: turnip turns's blog
Illegal drugs seized at Stansted Airport

A shipment containing thousands of pounds worth of unlicensed veterinary goods — including steroids, bute and anti-inflammatories — was stopped and seized at Stansted Airport at the beginning of the summer (3 May), it has emerged.

The shipment is understood to have contained performance-boosting drugs. They were listed as “horse tack” and brought in on a private plane, which was seized by Border Force officers.

“These medications have the potential to be used to enhance performance in horses, as well as more routine use in general equine practice to combat disease,” said H&H vet Karen Coumbe.

Defra was informed and the drugs were destroyed. It is not known for where the shipment was bound.

Leading vets have expressed concern that the importation of illegal and unlicensed drugs from overseas poses a “real threat” to equine health and welfare.

Keith Chandler, president of the British Equine Veterinary Association (BEVA), told H&H: “Unlicensed drugs have not passed the UK’s stringent safety and efficacy tests and therefore there is a risk that they could cause serious harm to horses.

“In the UK, the Veterinary Medicines Directorate [VMD] does a good job of protecting the availability of medicines for all animals.

“We are conscious that this sort of illegal importation puts at risk our whole system of medicines control and has potentially damaging knock-on effects regarding the availability of licensed medicines for sport horses and pleasure horses,” he added.

Earlier this year, the Godolphin doping scandal threw light on the use of unlicensed performance-boosting drugs in the racing industry.

In April, it emerged that the disgraced former trainer, Mahmood al Zarooni, had brought synthetic anabolic steroids, including stanozolol — which are banned in this country — into the UK in his suitcase when returning from Dubai.

This news story was first published in Horse & Hound magazine (5 September, 2013)

Originally published on horseandhound.co.uk 9th September 2013

Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/illegal-drugs-seized-at-stansted-airport/#bFW2yLcMe2v4sI0T.99

Wonder where those were heading ?
Share |

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 102
By:
maxheadroom
When: 09 Sep 13 11:10
no address on the delivery?
By:
xmoneyx
When: 09 Sep 13 11:22
Laugh
By:
Trusty
When: 09 Sep 13 11:53
brought in on a private plane so whose plane was it and/or who hired it? Not rocket science this investigation surely. Stansted handy for HQ as well.
By:
millhouse
When: 09 Sep 13 12:06
Is there anyone left now that doesn't believe that there is loads more to this doping saga than the BHA, which has a vested financial interest in ensuring punter confidence in its product, has chosen to reveal, imo...?
By:
Ramruma
When: 09 Sep 13 12:12
Doubtless the Racing Post's top investigative reporters will now be on the case, so expect a full front-page scoop just as soon as Bruce has walked down to the newsagent to buy a copy of Horse and Hound.
By:
turnip turns
When: 09 Sep 13 12:23
Millhouse,there's clearly something going on in racing that they don't wish us to know about,from the outset of the Godolphin case it was all too cosy between them and the BHA and i don't like the fact that alot of information has been held back,why? you have to ask yourself.
By:
mange
When: 09 Sep 13 12:26
You cant imagine a plane load of gear coming in unless it was as good as sold...............
By:
turnip turns
When: 09 Sep 13 12:35
Correct Mange
By:
desperatemunter
When: 09 Sep 13 12:37
the whole mountain rests upon 'it is not known where the drugs were bound' - I guess the authority to divulge this information lies solely with the pilot, although i may be wrong about that. There won't be adress labels on the packages.   His - or someone elses/ - head alone holds that information.   presumably they cannot be compelled to divulge it, or else that is what the authorities would do.  Yet isn't that the clearest 'obstruction of justice' possible?    Doesn't add up.
By:
THE-GHOST-OF-DICKIE-BIRD
When: 09 Sep 13 13:12
Goldolphin/shakey employs 100s in Newmkt.

They will not dare question shakey too much, scared sh itless he will pack up his toys and move out of h q.

The horse boxes came the very next day, when shakey and the great HRACLove Had a fall out.

THE UNTOUCHABLES
Devil
By:
pedrobob
When: 09 Sep 13 13:43
apart from the words Al Zarooni Air on the side of the plane, the authorities have no idea where the drugs came from or were headed....
By:
Big Boss
When: 09 Sep 13 13:51
"FLY EMIRATES" on the fin of the plane, BHA still have a team working on who is behind the shipment Laugh
By:
gutfeeling
When: 09 Sep 13 13:55
Why land at Stansted when they could have landed on HQ's very own landing strip,Pilot must have been sampling the cargo.
By:
Oceanfinance
When: 09 Sep 13 14:27
I think we can safely assume the NORTH YORKSHIRE batches have been getting through.
By:
turnip turns
When: 09 Sep 13 17:57
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/illegal-drugs-seized-at-stansted-airport/
By:
onlooker
When: 09 Sep 13 18:03
"Border Force Officers" - a bit too fast 'out of the blocks' here, though.Sad

They usually wait until the shipment is collected -  then follow it to it's destination .... in order to then - 'get the double up'.

What a shame that they did NOT do that procedure, here. Sad
By:
turnip turns
When: 09 Sep 13 19:43
Seizure

Seizure Notices issued under Regulation 41 of the Veterinary Medicines Regulations (VMR)

August 2013

Countrywide Farmers plc, Johnstown, Carmarthen. Eight vaccines were seized because they had been stored in a way that affects their quality and hence safety and efficacy. These vaccines; Covexin 8, Footvax, Bravoxin 10, Heptavac P Plus and Ovivac P Plus are vaccines for the immunisation of cattle and/or sheep.

Moorley Farm East, Newmarket. 124 veterinary medicinal products were seized because they were not authorised in the UK and had not been imported into the UK in accordance with the Regulations. These medicines, in varying quantities, were to be used on horses and included injectables, anaesthetics, anti â€"inflammatories and antibiotics.

http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/public/enforcement_notices.aspx#seizure
By:
turnip turns
When: 09 Sep 13 19:47
Directory of Turf Search » Stud Farms » UK » Suffolk » Darley Stud Management Co Ltd - Moorley East Farm
Darley Stud Management Co Ltd - Moorley East Farm
Duchess Drive, Newmarket, Suffolk, CB8 9HE, UK

Tel: +44 (0)1638 730070 (Stallion Bookings) +44 (0)1638 732305

Fax: +44 (0)1638 730167

Send us an Email Visit our Website Add to My Folder Update

Owner(s):

Darley Stud Management Co Ltd

Director(s):

Liam O'Rourke

Manager(s):

Assistant Stud Managers: Ray Eyre, Jim Moss

Size of Farm:

73 acres

Type of Services Offered:

Boarding Mares
By:
foxy
When: 09 Sep 13 19:47
thankfully national hunt racing is straight.
By:
guinness2dear
When: 09 Sep 13 19:48
Keep up the good fight, TT..
By:
turnip turns
When: 09 Sep 13 20:07
Gotta start wondering wtf is going here, Moorley East Farm being the connection  and why some serious questions aren't getting asked .
By:
turnip turns
When: 09 Sep 13 20:45
g2d,as i've said before its not me getting all this stuff,i is just passing it on Mischief

hope you're good btwCool
By:
Ramruma
When: 09 Sep 13 20:57
3 May -- when the plane was searched in the OP's Horse and Hound story -- was the day before the Guineas where Clare Balding asked Sheikh Mohammed about steroids, a fortnight or so after Al Zarooni had been caught.

But the August seizure @turnip turns has found is gobsmacking. It beggars belief that illegal drugs would be found just last month at a Darley Stud subsidiary.
By:
homefortea
When: 09 Sep 13 21:03
"Border Force Officers"

Feck me that have not actually found someone/something/anything between the hours of 9-5 with an hour for lunch....Shocked Monday to Friday...Laugh
By:
homefortea
When: 09 Sep 13 21:04
feck me they...
By:
turnip turns
When: 09 Sep 13 21:38
Ramruma    you really have to wonder why nothing has been mentioned over that seizure in August,either the BHA are clueless or...................
By:
turnip turns
When: 09 Sep 13 23:41
wonder if racing could have a similar problem to the BALCO scandal in athletics ,trainers using drugs going undetected ? or maybe are horses being given something that does enhance their performance but is legit ?
By:
onlooker
When: 10 Sep 13 00:01
WHATEVER - this is ALL beginning to look 'a little too coincidental'.
By:
gutfeeling
When: 10 Sep 13 02:47
BHA have no power to walk into a Pre-Training yard,No wonder there are so many of them in HQ.
By:
Happy Valley
When: 10 Sep 13 04:32
if you don't mind me saying, I did stress at the time one of the most important things in the investigation was to establish the source of the drugs. Presumably there was somewhere the drugs were being stored and given the industrial scale of the doping there would have to be a large quantity at anyone time and they would all have batch numbers. it should have been possible to establish a supply chain.

and quite why the authorities didn't allow the drugs to be delivered and then pinch everyone, as onlooker says, is odd and unusual.
By:
millhouse
When: 10 Sep 13 08:05
Gotta start wondering wtf is going here, Moorley East Farm being the connection  and why some serious questions aren't getting asked

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but as far as every single sector of this industry is concerned, there is now only one agenda, and that's to keep losing punters betting. You might as well ask for the trees to turn into candy floss than expect anyone to ask too many difficult questions about horses getting injected with performance enhancing drugs, when the jobs of everyone in this industry now relies on punters continuing to have faith in the betting product.

The media is controlled, owned or in commercial partnership with the bookmaking industry, the BHA have a vested financial interest in the profitability of the bookmakers, and the racecourses rely on the bookmaking industry for all of their major sponsorship.

The role of everyone who works in this industry is actually now to minimise and conceal things like this drug scandal wherever possible, so that we keep on betting, and the whole gravy soaked train keeps-a-chugging along.

We as punters have two choices - we either find a way to represent all of our interests as a group, so that we can publicly ask these questions for ourselves, or we just bend over and carry on getting shafted.

No one, repeat no one is ever going to fight our corner, in any shape or form. Our role is now to be exploited wherever possible...
By:
Ramruma
When: 10 Sep 13 08:14
I suspect they are more worried about Sheikh Mohammed taking his ball home, which would decimate racing.
By:
millhouse
When: 10 Sep 13 08:18
Would it really Ramruma - and if his staff are systematically injecting his horses with performance enhancing drugs then that's already happening...
By:
Ramruma
When: 10 Sep 13 08:18
and quite why the authorities didn't allow the drugs to be delivered and then pinch everyone, as onlooker says, is odd and unusual.

The "authorities" meaning Border Force would likely not have cared very much about a few hundred quids' worth of veterinary drugs with no street value as recreational drugs, and the "authorities" meaning BHA would not have been consulted.
By:
Happy Valley
When: 10 Sep 13 08:19
I think you are both right, the racing publications definitely need the bookies advertising revenue and the BHA is sh!t scared of sheikh mohammed withdrawing from Uk racing if they persued a proper investigation and that would clearly mean the loss of lots of jobs. it is a very difficult position for them.

btw, can you imagine the stockpile of medication it would have taken for the doping to have occurred, involving the number of horses it did and over the time period, the idea that one man brought this in himself is laughable.
By:
Happy Valley
When: 10 Sep 13 08:22
foxy - I would think milk-shaking (pun intended, naturallyHappy) may still be a significant problem in NH racing
By:
hardestgame
When: 10 Sep 13 08:23
it so nice to have the sheikhs ruling over british racing
good olds days when kings,dukes and lords ran the show
By:
Happy Valley
When: 10 Sep 13 08:23
(milk-shaking being the use of bicarb of soda drench or now in gelatin capsule form) shortly before a race in order to prevent build-up of lactic acid)

one leading aussie vet said to me milk-shaking remains the best go-fast he knows
By:
JayTrumpOldTomDubbl
When: 10 Sep 13 08:37
Very good post from millhouse 8.05 10/09/13. That's the way it is in every walk of life.
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now