Forums

Horse Racing

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
andyl
28 May 13 13:08
| Topic/replies: 7,410 | Blogger: andyl's blog
BIG NO for me Cry
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View IS DARYL JACOBS GOOD ENOUGH TO BE NO1...
Show More
Report wee eck May 28, 2013 1:10 PM BST
andyl, would you prefer him to appoint Kenny JohnsonGrin?
Report salmon spray May 28, 2013 1:11 PM BST
Stop gap.
It'll be Derham within the next 2 years.
Report andyl May 28, 2013 1:12 PM BST
whats wrong with noel fehilly he did a fine job or appointing a top rider...jacobs is not top class just my opinion of course i'm not necessarily right or wrong but i thought it strange he's being given the gig
Report Duvauchelle May 28, 2013 1:13 PM BST
BIG YES from meGrin
Report guinness2dear May 28, 2013 1:13 PM BST
Young Brendan (if AP doesn't go first)

Derham will go the way of Tizzard..
Report salmon spray May 28, 2013 1:16 PM BST
Fehilly a bit unlucky. I think he's good but he's in his late 30s and has always been injury-prone.
Derham is related to Nicholls is he not?
Report BARNEY21. May 28, 2013 1:17 PM BST
Are the horses good enough for D Jacob??
Report wee eck May 28, 2013 1:17 PM BST
Could Fitzy or Smith Eccles not be tempted back if the retainer was big enough.
Report guinness2dear May 28, 2013 1:18 PM BST
I think Tizzard may be as well(inbreeding is a hobby down that way)
Report guinness2dear May 28, 2013 1:19 PM BST
Smith Ecc wouldn't give up the free grog..
Report salmon spray May 28, 2013 1:20 PM BST
Lol @ guinness.
Report Duvauchelle May 28, 2013 1:22 PM BST
^I'm sure that is tongue firmly in cheek or wishful thinking for the former to get him off our screens but with his broken kneck I somehow doubt it.
and smith eccles is nearly a pensioner
Report Duvauchelle May 28, 2013 1:22 PM BST
kneckConfused I'm ill excuse me.
Report pauli May 28, 2013 1:24 PM BST
Daryl Jacob is more than good enough to be No1 at Paul Nicholls imo.  Don't know what all the fuss is about.
Report nellie1970 May 28, 2013 1:26 PM BST
yes he is but it depends on what new material nicholls gets to work with.
as soon as the horses start running poorly or are just not good enough you can bet on here that jacob will be useless and not good enough.but thats racing and the betfair forum for youLaugh
Report grappler May 28, 2013 3:28 PM BST
zzzzzzzzzzz. who gives a sh1t?
Report salmon spray May 28, 2013 3:29 PM BST
Well funnily enough this is a horse racing forum.
Report Deltâ May 28, 2013 3:29 PM BST
no
Report racingguru May 28, 2013 3:37 PM BST
Fehily is the best out there and if that was the criteria he should have got the job. Jacob is perfectly adequate but not a top class jock IMO.
Report Ramruma May 28, 2013 4:07 PM BST
Daryl Jacob is 29/30 so give it a couple of years till retirement and replacement by one of the current conditionals, like Sam T-D or Brendan Jnr.
Report par May 28, 2013 4:48 PM BST
I would consider O'Regan for the job.
Report gemini01 May 28, 2013 5:52 PM BST
cream cracker is plenty capable of riding the modest bunch that pumpkin head has in his care at present..
Report themightymac May 28, 2013 6:16 PM BST
Why doesn`t he ride them himself?

Report Brother Mouzone May 28, 2013 6:18 PM BST
Report judorick May 28, 2013 6:20 PM BST
no imo
Report Rollo Tomasi May 28, 2013 6:28 PM BST
He should go for one of the young ones that hasn't been corrupted yet.

I think someone once did find a needle in an haystack.
Report themightymac May 28, 2013 6:36 PM BST
I`m surprised James Davies has never landed a top job.
Report MJK May 28, 2013 6:53 PM BST
Seems a decent lad, I'd wisgh him the best of luck if he can get past the first season pressure. No big surprise if Townend gets a good offer from someone seeing as he's gonna be riding less of Mullins'.
Report themightymac May 28, 2013 6:55 PM BST
Daryl Jacob is a great guy, great jockey and great ambassador for the game. He fully deserves the opportunity and will be a huge success, given the ammunition.
Report carrot1960 May 28, 2013 7:02 PM BST
ruby's 33 and looking after himself jacob's is 29/30 hardly in the first flush of youth .he has to be a stop gap surely
Report racingguru May 28, 2013 7:19 PM BST
If Nichols is looking for a stop gap then Fehily should have been the man and have brought in Powell jnr, Nolan to mold into the main man in a couple/three years. I don't see a lot of Townend but he looks very average to me in my few views.
Report Steamship May 28, 2013 7:27 PM BST
Jacob is good enough to bring the new horses through the next few years, by which time one of the conditionals will be coming through.
B Powell will be Joe Tizzards stable jockey in the next couple of seasons.
P Townend will get McCoys job in a seasons time.

All my own thoughts
Report geordie1956 May 28, 2013 7:29 PM BST
I hope Darryl Jacob does a great job & wins plenty of big races - that will keep everyone happy and the detractors off his back - seems a nice guy and deserves opportunity, not stylish but he is effective from what I have seen. Long term Twiston Davies will no doubt get one of the big retainers - seems a natural at the game and they run for him
Report deadbrain59 May 28, 2013 7:42 PM BST
i will be laying the odds on,as i do ruby,+23 from november.Love
Report skygreenzone May 28, 2013 7:45 PM BST
Is he good enough? does it not depend on the horses your riding.
Report deadbrain59 May 28, 2013 7:58 PM BST
exactly.Wink
Report Hound-Dog-2 May 28, 2013 8:15 PM BST
a big YES from me, and certainly deserves the opportunity.
Report ima_mazed66 May 28, 2013 8:21 PM BST
Yes and so are plenty of others if as rightly pointed out the horses are decent enough too. It's always more about the horses than the jockey and always will be.

What I suspect Jacob will be more peeved about rather than people asking is he good enough is when will people get his name right having won big races like the Grand National, the Hennessy, the Triumph Hurdle, Lexus Chase, the John Durkan and other grade 1 races is that people still don't get his name right. Silly
Report Hound-Dog-2 May 28, 2013 8:24 PM BST
Richard Pitman said "Good Horses make Good Jockeys"

(although wasn't true in his case.)
Report Makybe_Diva May 28, 2013 8:32 PM BST
I've been a fan of Daryl Jacob for a long time. I'm really looking forward to following him next season.

I'd be very happy for him to ride horses for me if I were an owner.

Felt really sorry for him when he lost the ride on The Listener. He didn't deserve for that to happen.
Report Gay Icon May 28, 2013 8:39 PM BST
Daryl's been riding well so deserves a crack as the main man. Like Nicholls has stated the next few years are a transitional period, so hopefully when the yard is quiet it won't be Daryl getting the majority of the stick.

In terms of the long term future I can definitely see Brendan Powell JNR landing a top job somewhere. I personally can't have Richard Johnson and Tom Scu anymore or Robert Thornton for that matter, and AP isn't gonna be around for too many years longer.

I'm surprised Aidan Coleman hasn't been mentioned on this thread yet. He's very talented, young and had a great season with Venetia last year. I can definitely see him in a top job sooner rather than later too.
Report ima_mazed66 May 28, 2013 8:51 PM BST
You live by the sword and all that and he only got that ride on The Listener when Andrew Thornton unfairly lost it and I don't know the owners personally but the did seem a bit too keen on switching a few jockeys and trainers, when in reality the horse and all concerned did well to win as many races as they did with it considering it was around at the same time as and would have been facing rivals like Kauto Star, Denman, Beef Or Salmon, Neptune Collonges, Exotic Dancer, Noland, Our Vic, Madison Du Berlais, Star De Mohaison and Taranis.
Report tipptop May 28, 2013 8:51 PM BST
If Harry Derham gets the stable jockey position in a few years then the stable really is f..ked! Fehily for me!
Report yorkie1 May 28, 2013 9:02 PM BST
jacob's not and never will be for me i'm afraid - just not consistently good enough.
Report ima_mazed66 May 28, 2013 9:09 PM BST
He's been riding the stable second string (and sometimes third) or the alternative meeting runners and yet has still won big races like the Grand National and Triumph Hurdle, so consistency will come with riding the first string runners......Not that I personally think he's been inconsistent anyway.
Report GANT007 May 28, 2013 9:45 PM BST
Jacobs is a very good rider and a nice fellow also. He will keep owners with large egos happy.
Plenty of other young talented jockeys in Ireland will be ready to fill the big jobs as they come up.
Report Ramruma May 29, 2013 5:19 AM BST
Wayne Hutchinson would have been my suggestion until I realised he is already over 30. That man needs to ask his agent a few hard questions imo.

Nicholls did say he'd be using Fehily more often.
Report deadbrain59 May 29, 2013 7:09 AM BST
ruby irreplaceable,as is AP.Cry
Report throwthetellyoutawindow May 29, 2013 11:55 AM BST
I remember Paul Nicolls promising to give Daryl Jacob a chance,after he felt Jacob was unfairly critized for a ride on Maljimar(?) at the Cheltenham Festival few years back.
It took him a while to give him that chance and i don't think Nicholls has any doubts he has the right man,good enough for me.
Daryl deserves this chance he's well settled in at the stable now and i wish him all the very best,i've never been put off backing a horse because Darly Jacob is riding it quite the opposite.Happy
Report deadbrain59 May 29, 2013 2:48 PM BST
1.37.LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report deadbrain59 May 29, 2013 2:48 PM BST
1.37.LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report thirty-three May 29, 2013 3:08 PM BST
Aiden Coleman would be my choice.
Report salmon spray May 29, 2013 3:21 PM BST
Sack him immediately       Devil
Report thirty-three May 29, 2013 3:25 PM BST
Miss E Sayer might do better than Jacob.
Report ima_mazed66 May 29, 2013 4:41 PM BST
Is this what we are going to get every time he gets beaten on a favourite now as if Ruby never did? Grin
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now