Forums

Horse Racing

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Anaglogs Daughter
24 Apr 13 14:52
| Topic/replies: 8,287 | Blogger: Anaglogs Daughter's blog
http://www.godolphin.com

Posted 24 April 2013,

His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum issued the following statement:

"I was appalled and angered to learn that one of our stables in Newmarket has violated Godolphin's ethical standards and the rules of British racing. I have been involved in British horse racing for 30 years and have deep respect for its traditions and rules. I built my country based on the same solid principles. There can be no excuse for any deliberate violation. Godolphin is fully cooperating with the British Horseracing Authority to get to the bottom of this matter and take any appropriate disciplinary action. I have ordered the Godolphin management to undertake an immediate review of our internal procedures and controls to ensure to prevent any reoccurrence of this type of activity in any stables of mine. We will be locking down the Moulton Paddocks stables with immediate effect, and I have instructed that I want a full round of blood samples, and dope testing done on every single horse on that premises. I can assure the racing public that no horse will run from that yard this season until I have been absolutely assured by my team that the entire yard is completely clean. I have worked hard to ensure that Godolphin deserves its reputation for integrity and sportsmanship, and I have reiterated to all Godolphin employees that I will not tolerate this type of behaviour."
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin...
Show More
Report Anaglogs Daughter April 24, 2013 3:53 PM BST
and I have reiterated to all Godolphin employees that I will not tolerate this type of behaviour."

If you're fond of your hands i'd listen to what the man is saying
Report Anaglogs Daughter April 24, 2013 3:55 PM BST
Do you get the felling the His Highness is Fuming...Don't worry you bossness Thommo is on his way around to sooth you.
Report Vubiant April 24, 2013 3:59 PM BST
Looks like he 's saying all the right things dunnit ?
Interesting he says 'no excuse for DELIBERATE VIOLATION'.
Report salmon spray April 24, 2013 4:03 PM BST
The rapid development of Dubai from the 1990s onwards left them $59b in debt. They were only saved by a bailout from Abu Dhabi. Now Sheihk Mo is at it again building a replica Taj Mahal 4 times bigger than the original.
Report Anaglogs Daughter April 24, 2013 4:03 PM BST
He's no ordinary horse racing owner. He who pays the piper calls the tune.
Report EastLower Gooner April 24, 2013 4:08 PM BST
"I was appalled and angered to learn that one of our stables in Newmarket has violated Godolphin's ethical standards and the rules of British racing.

That makes two of us.

I have been involved in British horse racing for 30 years and have deep respect for its traditions and rules. I built my country based on the same solid principles.

Don't really care how you made your dosh but whatever

There can be no excuse for any deliberate violation.

Ditto

Godolphin is fully cooperating with the British Horseracing Authority to get to the bottom of this matter and take any appropriate disciplinary action.

Well that's a freeking relief...wowwww I totally expected them not to cooperate

I have ordered the Godolphin management to undertake an immediate review of our internal procedures and controls to ensure to prevent any reoccurrence of this type of activity in any stables of mine.

I'd fkin hope so......if it happens again he can feck right

We will be locking down the Moulton Paddocks stables with immediate effect, and I have instructed that I want a full round of blood samples, and dope testing done on every single horse on that premises.

Great...lets see what else Chemical Ali was juicing them with.....I assume we'll also get an independent person to this rather than his own staff?? While we're on this subject....isn't it time we get blood passports a la the TDF

I can assure the racing public that no horse will run from that yard this season until I have been absolutely assured by my team that the entire yard is completely clean.

Probably for the best....doubt anyone will trust anything from the yard for a long while....also does anyone have a full list of horses there? Just want to avoid these on my Ten to Follow like

I have worked hard to ensure that Godolphin deserves its reputation for integrity and sportsmanship, and I have reiterated to all Godolphin employees that I will not tolerate this type of behaviour."

No not really...you just paid them a lot of money
Report posy April 24, 2013 4:11 PM BST
what has Crisford to say ...his silence is deafening
Report nellie1970 April 24, 2013 4:24 PM BST
sheikh mo

you are talking bollox you gave him the job and you knew he had a past being involved with a stable juicing its horses in the endurance races.you brought him here and whats your so called racing manager have to say or have you silenced him to??????????
Report ima_mazed66 April 24, 2013 4:31 PM BST
I think he should let Dettori take over the training at that yard, apparently he's got a bit of spare time on his hands at the moment.

I has to be a bit embarrassing when both your horses and jockey fails the tests.
Report nellie1970 April 24, 2013 4:33 PM BST
you wonder what the rest of the staff are taking?
Report Vubiant April 24, 2013 4:37 PM BST
Anyone know what a job description of a 'racing manager' might involve apart from glorified PR ?
Report Dr Gonzo April 24, 2013 4:38 PM BST
Crisford's position is surely untenable.
Report freeze_the_secret April 24, 2013 4:40 PM BST
Put in excess of a billion pounds into horseracing in the British Isles.
Elevated said racing to be the best and most respected on the planet.

Feck me,tough crowd.
Report brigust1 April 24, 2013 4:44 PM BST
I was going to say that he also launched the Racing Post but I will keep that one to myself.
Report xmoneyx April 24, 2013 4:46 PM BST
does the lockdown include the drugs cabinet
Report freeze_the_secret April 24, 2013 4:47 PM BST
That's right brigust,he wasn't happy about a story in the Sporting Life or summat,can't remember the details.
Report nellie1970 April 24, 2013 4:52 PM BST
he should practice what he preaches whinging at the yanks for reinstating drugs for breeders cup meetings and his own operation are juicing.fuuking hypocrite
Report spyker April 24, 2013 4:53 PM BST
What's Mo's username on here - I'm wandering if it's Mfaudy what with his overuse of the term 'commoner'?
Report xmoneyx April 24, 2013 4:54 PM BST
what ever happens--this is devastating for him and godolphin will never recover
Report Roquebrune April 24, 2013 5:09 PM BST
With hundreds of stable staff,did the trainer administer the drugs on his own? MMmmm.
Report deadbrain59 April 24, 2013 5:13 PM BST
zarooni sacked, suppose its better than beheading.Mischief
Report hippie April 24, 2013 5:14 PM BST

Sheikh Mohammed locks down Al Zarooni stable

By Stuart Riley 3:39PM 24 APR 2013

SHEIKH MOHAMMED has decided to lock down the Newmarket stable occupied by Mahmood Al Zarooni with immediate effect in the wake of revelations at least 15 of the horses based at the yard were administered anabolic steroids.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=1054594

Why would a Racing Post reporter claim "at least 15 horses" were doped while the BHA are saying it was 11 horses?

Report Doctor Feelgood April 24, 2013 5:17 PM BST
Zarooni confessed to 4 more I think.
Report freeze_the_secret April 24, 2013 5:19 PM BST
Because the trainer himself admitted 4 horses that wern't tested were also doped.
Report 11kv April 24, 2013 5:20 PM BST
Assurance of clean horses from his team

Is this the same team who were dirty..............pmsl
Report kincsem April 24, 2013 5:22 PM BST
In the 1990s I saw a horse before a classic (it won) that I had seen a few weeks earlier.  I couldn't believe the physical improvement in the interim, and my paddock skills are not great.  It looked like a different beast.
Report hippie April 24, 2013 5:26 PM BST
The four others are named in the article but shouldn't it be down to the BHA to do their own investigating to uncover the full extent of the doping once they discovered there was a problem?
Report GEORGE.B April 24, 2013 5:27 PM BST
which horse, kincsem? Should be save to say, after all perhaps it just flourished for a bit of sun on its back!
Report GEORGE.B April 24, 2013 5:28 PM BST
*safe
Report Dr Gonzo April 24, 2013 5:33 PM BST
Wonder if he'll be taking the same actions at Godolphin Stables? Or is he more confident that SBS actually knows the rules he is licensed under?
Report hippie April 24, 2013 5:37 PM BST

The BHA said yesterday it had no plans to test horses at the other Godolphin stables where Saeed Bin Suroor is trainer.

“They are separate trainers,” said BHA spokesman Robin Mousey, “and we wouldn’t link them because of a common owner as a result of this. It doesn’t however rule it out though. We reserve the right to test any trainer’s horses at any time.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horseracing/10013953/Godolphin-drugs-case-charges-to-be-issued-with-a-hearing-expected-on-Thursday.html

Why not test Suroor's horse and reassure the public the incident is isolated to the one yard?

Report xmoneyx April 24, 2013 5:39 PM BST
if the horses are locked down is Mahmood Al Zarooni locked out?
Report geoff m April 24, 2013 5:40 PM BST
cause he probably knows the outcome.
The BHA should be down there and take decision out of Sheikhs hands but that aint going to happen.
Report hippie April 24, 2013 5:45 PM BST
The BHA are coming across as vigorous as the BBC were with Saville
Report Sankara April 24, 2013 5:50 PM BST
Built his country on traditions of British racing! God help them.
Report carrot1960 April 24, 2013 5:57 PM BST
the vet wont be taking the blame this time so the trainer can be kept out of the limelight till the dust settles then carry on as if nothing's happened
Report windsor knot April 24, 2013 6:02 PM BST
time for sheikh mo to bury the hatchett and send a few of the good clean 'uns to sir  henry .soon come up smelling of roses again.
Report freeze_the_secret April 24, 2013 6:07 PM BST
Blog by Greg Wood.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/apr/23/godolphin-positive-steroids-sheik-mohammed

I don't know wether these webpages have been shown on here yet,taken from The Guardian website put up by dankelly84.

What to make of this I don't know.
http://www.dubaiworldcup.com/race/horsemen-info/rules-regulations

http://www.horseracingintfed.com/resources/2011ANNUALREPORTPROHIBITEDSUBSTANCES.pdf
Report Anaglogs Daughter April 24, 2013 6:08 PM BST
racingpost.com

With the yard locked down until further notice a number of prominent Godolphin runners will be out of action indefinitely. They include Encke, Steeler, Now Spun, Masterstroke and Music Chart.

Al Zarooni, who admitted making "a catastrophic error", will be represented by Gavin Bacon in his hearing which is due to start at 2.30pm on Thursday.

Having also admitted to BHA investigators that he administered steroids to four other horses - Comitas, Sashiko, Vacationer (all ethylestranol) and Tearless (stanozolol) - he will face four additional charges "for breaches of the rules related to medication records and conduct prejudicial to horseracing related to these horses".

The multiple charges of breaching the rules of racing have punishments ranging from fines to a ten-year disqualification.

Former trainer Howard Johnson received a one-year ban in 2011 for administering anabolic steroids to horses in training, an action that the BHA disciplinary panel concluded "seriously prejudiced the integrity and good reputation of horseracing in Great Britain
Report silvergreaser April 24, 2013 6:18 PM BST
Sheikh Mo is fuming alright, fuming the idiot got himself caught, and you can be sure the statement was ghost written for the Sheikh mostly likely worded by Crisford?
Report posy April 24, 2013 7:48 PM BST
Who would have administered the drugs...don't imagine Crisford or Zarooni went from box to box sticking needles into horse bums...would it have been the vet or could it be done by stable boys/girls ?
If Crisford had an inkling of what was going on he'll be lucky to escape a beheading....if he genuinely didn't know then he should be flayed to within an inch of his life for gross negligence as I assume his prime responsibility would be to protect Mo from any whiff of scandal. 
Expect many heads to roll.
Report Anaglogs Daughter April 24, 2013 7:59 PM BST
Mahmood al-Zarooni: one-off rogue trainer or tip of the iceberg?

Godolphin must clean out their stables – and racing authorities must take swift action to maintain confidence in the sport

Tony Paley The Guardian.co.uk

Frankie Dettori, for so many the face of British racing, is still serving a worldwide ban from the track for testing positive for cocaine last autumn but his misdemeanor, which ultimately led to the ending of his six-figure contract with Godolphin, is nothing compared with the damage his former stable may have done to British racing.

The fact that the trainer for the highest-profile yard in the country used banned anabolic steroids on 11 horses will raise questions about the extent of wrongdoing at the HQ of the sport in Newmarket and at the 800-plus training establishments licensed with the British Horseracing Authority (BHA).

Those with a casual interest in the sport, the once-a-year gamblers whose interest is only stirred by the Grand National, Royal Ascot or the Derby, are going to ask what the extent of the skulduggery is given the headlines of the last two days.

Some will go further, and indeed already have via social media, while casting aspersions on the big-race winners Mahmood al-Zarooni has had in his care for Godolphin.

The BHA took the tests on 45 horses in the Godolphin yard on 9 April and informed al-Zarooni just days later. It has taken only a fortnight for the results to be made public and charges, as well as a date for a hearing, are expected on Wednesday.

It is vital that racing's authorities continue the commendable speed they have shown so far and get to the bottom of what happened that led to this extraordinary set of affairs.

British racing has dealt with thorny welfare issues regarding the whip and the Grand National in the last 18 months and has been rightly congratulated for the action taken.

There were 7,500 post-race tests on horses in 2011 from 90,000 runners. Not one single horse tested positive for steroids. The authorities will need to prove quickly that this is a one-off rogue trainer if confidence in the sport is to be maintained.

It is also incumbent on Godolphin to take swift action in order to clean out their particular stables and they have stated that action will follow on from the BHA inquiry. Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Godolphin's owner, has been British racing's greatest friend for the last quarter of a century. It will be the cruellest of ironies if he were to turn out, unwillingly, to be harbouring some dangerous enemies
Report its only a game April 24, 2013 8:00 PM BST
salmon spray walofs dubai is booming the airport cant cope with the traffic as from this month 5 emirates flights a day to dubai from heathrow alone sheik mo is a genius
Report Anaglogs Daughter April 24, 2013 8:05 PM BST
Steroids hearing must just be start of cleansing of Godolphin stables

British Horseracing Authority need to get to the root of all that happened at Moulton Paddocks

Greg Wood Wednesday 24 April 2013  The Guardian.co.uk

On Monday afternoon, Mahmood al-Zarooni was, as far as 99% of people both inside and outside racing were aware, a young, ambitious trainer with two Classics to his name, 150 horses in his stable in Newmarket and a great deal to look forward to. By Thursday night, scarcely 72 hours later, he will be gone, ejected from the sport in disgrace, probably never to be seen on a British racecourse again.

Zarooni, who has now admitted that he used anabolic steroids to boost the condition of 15 horses in his yard, will have been exposed as a cheat, charged, tried, convicted and, probably, sentenced in less time than it takes to stage the Cheltenham Festival.

Given the extended periods of time it has taken to conclude several recent cases involving corruption of the sport – years, not days - this seems a remarkable, almost unseemly, rush to justice. Even allowing for the fact that the "testing in training" team which uncovered Zarooni's use of steroids to boost the condition of his horses visited his yard on 9 April, it is difficult to believe that there has been enough time to gather and collate evidence and then compile a case to present to the disciplinary panel.

The British Horseracing Authority's explanation is that this case is different. "Once it became clear that positive samples had been obtained," Robin Mounsey, the BHA's media manager, said , "it was agreed by all parties involved, including the BHA, that it would be in the best interests of the sport that the investigation be carried out as quickly as possible, while ensuring that the processes followed remained rigorous at all times.

"What sets this investigation apart and allowed a swift conclusion is that Godolphin assisted the investigators throughout. This is not usually the case and it is when individuals do not cooperate or assist that investigations tend to take a lengthy period of time."

Just because something is possible, however, it is not necessarily the appropriate course of action. Attention to detail can be an irritation but it is still important, not least in a case with the significance and scale of this one.

Attention to detail has also been a hallmark of recent major investigations in racing, with the result that the conclusion of the formal proceedings is followed, a week or two later, by extensive written reasons for the disciplinary panel's findings, laying bare the conspiracy to corrupt the sport.

It is hard to imagine that several thousand words of detail will emerge from a one-day hearing that is not scheduled to start until 2.30pm. Thursday's panel will address only Zarooni's role in the affair as the licence holder at the yard, which makes him strictly liable for everything which happens within its boundaries. The important question is whether the BHA regards this hearing as just the beginning of a much wider investigation, or instead as the beginning of the end.

Privately, BHA officials insist that their investigations will continue until every aspect of what took place at Moulton Paddocks is clear and understood. It must be hoped that this is the case, since the temptation might be to let the case slip slowly down the news agenda once the man who held the licence has been removed.

Godolphin's own internal audit of its operation will now include full testing of the entire string following the decision of Sheikh Mohammed, its founder, to "lock down" the stable until he is certain that it is "completely clean".

Its co-operation will no doubt assist the BHA's own investigations, but at the same time, Godolphin is the operation which hired Zarooni in the first place, and is now desperate to repair its tattered public image.

Its staff, from top to bottom, are some of the best in the business, with a wealth of experience around racehorses. A handful, at least, must have had some active involvement or knowledge of what was going on, while others, perhaps many others, must have sensed that something was not right at Moulton Paddocks, that horses which struggled to hold their condition one day were suddenly thriving the next.

Yet nothing emerged until the BHA's testing team arrived on 9 April. As a result, for all Godolphin's eagerness to assist in the clean-up process, it should be treated with some caution too. The first step in damage limitation when faced with a PR calamity like this is containment, and the second is distance.

Godolphin, quite naturally, wants to draw a line under the Zarooni scandal as quickly as possible and then start the process of rebuilding and moving on. The BHA seems to be offering every assistance to them in doing so by accelerating the disciplinary process to the point where Zarooni can pass from one end to the other in three days flat.

Zarooni's racing career will end abruptly in London on Thursday, but when it comes to the scandal he leaves behind, it will not even be the end of the beginning.
Report Franky Four Fingers April 24, 2013 8:33 PM BST
It would be great if Sheik Mohammed sent a few of the Godolphin fillies to Sir HRAC ... Whats his relationship with Sir Henry like nowadays ?

As for MaZ I think he has more to fear from what his employer will do.His career as a trainer is finished,but the repercussions for the man will extend beyond a ban.
Report posy April 24, 2013 8:37 PM BST
I don't believe for one minute that Zarooni would have embarked on this doping exercise by himself...The question is who suggested/told him to go down this route. I hope he's not going to be the only one whose character is about to be assassinated.
Report Franky Four Fingers April 24, 2013 8:42 PM BST
I agree Posy ... I'm certain there will be a few P45's handed out at Moulton Paddocks over the next few days and a few people sleeping very uncomfortably in their beds.
Report Dr Gonzo April 24, 2013 9:20 PM BST
If Sheikh Mohammed and Crisford are claiming they had absolutely no idea about this, then they really should be straight down at Godolphin Stables doing exactly the same checks.

If someone has been involved in a widespread doping campaign at one of their stables without anyone knowing, then they can't have any idea about what is going on anywhere in their empire.
Report Anaglogs Daughter April 24, 2013 9:31 PM BST
Dr the widespread doping campaign seems to be going all the way down the chain from Jockeys to horses

ONE QUESTION
The BHA said 'they were acting on a tip-off'.
The French Racing Authority said 'they were acting on a tip-off'(re:Frankie).

Is there someone working inside Godolphin that has a beef with them?
Report matt hughes April 24, 2013 9:33 PM BST
What does crisford do? Surely he has to take responsibility here.
Report Dr Gonzo April 24, 2013 9:35 PM BST
I've met Crisford a couple of times, and he's always come across as a really sound bloke - but agreed, his position must be completely untenable.
Report Anaglogs Daughter April 24, 2013 9:37 PM BST
www.godolphin.com

Name: Simon Crisford

Job Title: Racing Manager

As racing manager since Godolphin’s inception, Simon Crisford has played a key role in the stable’s remarkable development and success.

In addition to working as racing manager, he also carries out duties similar to those of any chief executive of a major company – he ensures the smooth running of the entire Godolphin operation.

His Highness Sheikh Mohammed is the driving force behind Godolphin and sets the overall vision for the stable. It is Simon Crisford’s job to see that these plans are implemented and to offer advice and recommendations when required.

Managing the stable can be a complex task, given that Godolphin could have horses being prepared for big races on several continents at the same time. It involves regular liaison not only with H.H. Sheikh Mohammed but with Godolphin’s trainers, retained jockeys, work riders, and other senior members of staff.

Possible acquisitions by Godolphin fall under Simon Crisford’s scrutiny and he is responsible for the management of each horse’s career from the moment it joins us until it leaves the international stable. He watches the horses train every day and, when not at the races, is usually on hand to check on the horses in the afternoons as well. Any problems are discussed with vets and other expert members of the team.

Apart from his many duties within the stable, he likes to be present whenever there is a major Godolphin runner, and he is often the public face of the stable, discussing our contenders in TV interviews before and after races. He regularly updates the media with the latest news about the horses, either personally or through the Godolphin website.

Godolphin’s racing manager can draw on extensive knowledge and wide experience of the racing, bloodstock and media worlds acquired earlier in his career.

Simon Crisford worked for top British trainers John Dunlop and Sir Mark Prescott and gained bloodstock experience at Lavington Stud in England and Haras de la Louviere in France.

He was appointed the Racing Post’s first Newmarket correspondent when the British daily racing newspaper launched in 1986. That job required an expert eye and excellent grasp of the form book as well as good contacts. It involved many early mornings spent watching horses work on the famous gallops at Newmarket.

H.H. Sheikh Mohammed offered him a senior position in the Darley racing office in Newmarket in 1989. Three years later, at the age of just 30, he was asked to help establish the fledgling stable at Al Quoz in Dubai.

It was the start of what proved to be a remarkable journey for everyone associated with what became known as Godolphin.
Report Anaglogs Daughter April 24, 2013 9:39 PM BST
Can't possibly last beyond Thursday

Possible acquisitions by Godolphin fall under Simon Crisford’s scrutiny and he is responsible for the management of each horse’s career from the moment it joins us until it leaves the international stable
Report matt hughes April 24, 2013 9:42 PM BST
'he ensures the smooth running of the godolphin operation'  he be choking on them words, he's a bit like that captain on the Titanic.
Report jonnyrotten April 24, 2013 10:03 PM BST
lifted from another fred http://royaltyinthenews.com/sheikh-mohammed-gets-6-month-ban-for-horse-doping he has been very unlucky with his trainersShocked
Report freeze_the_secret April 24, 2013 11:19 PM BST
His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum issued the following statement:

"I was appalled and angered to learn that one of our stables in Newmarket has violated Godolphin's ethical standards and the rules of British racing. I have been involved in British horse racing for 30 years and have deep respect for its traditions and rules. I built my country based on the same solid principles. There can be no excuse for any deliberate violation. Godolphin is fully cooperating with the British Horseracing Authority to get to the bottom of this matter and take any appropriate disciplinary action. I have ordered the Godolphin management to undertake an immediate review of our internal procedures and controls to ensure to prevent any reoccurrence of this type of activity in any stables of mine. We will be locking down the Moulton Paddocks stables with immediate effect, and I have instructed that I want a full round of blood samples, and dope testing done on every single horse on that premises. I can assure the racing public that no horse will run from that yard this season until I have been absolutely assured by my team that the entire yard is completely clean. I have worked hard to ensure that Godolphin deserves its reputation for integrity and sportsmanship, and I have reiterated to all Godolphin employees that I will not tolerate this type of behaviour."
Report hippie April 24, 2013 11:25 PM BST

Dubai's ruler accused of slavery

Dubai's ruler has been accused of enslaving thousands of young children for camel races in a class-action lawsuit filed in the US.

The action claims Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, his brother Hamdam and 500 others are responsible for abducting and trafficking the children.

It was filed on behalf of six unidentified parents and thousands of unnamed children.

There has been no comment on the action from the accused.

The children were said to be from Bangladesh, Sudan and southern Asia.

Once in Dubai, it is claimed that the children - some of them as young as two - were kept in poor conditions, starved (so as to keep their weight down), abused and forced to take part in a dangerous sport.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5346430.stm

what country were those solid principles based on?

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now