Forums

Horse Racing

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ged
11 Mar 13 12:09
| Topic/replies: 7,113 | Blogger: ged's blog
Reports from the Glasgow Herald:-

Mar 13, 1963.
"From Harkaway, Cheltenham, Tuesday"
It was no great day for the Irish today at Cheltenham. Arkle was their only winner and he came near as a touch to grief. It was in fact the hallmark of a great horse and a great rider that they came again after a blunder three fences from home in the Broadway Steeplechase that for a moment made the bookies forget the levy and brought a gasp of dismay from a host of backers.
A lesser horse would never have recovered so quickly, and a lesser jockey would never have dared ease him to the extent that inevitably he dropped back several lengths. But P. Taaffe knows the reserve of power possessed by this young steeplechaser; and they came again, cutting down the leaders and storming up the hill with that same astonishing burst of finishing speed as I saw at Leopardstown.

Mar 15, 1963
"From Harkaway, Cheltenham, Thursday"
Though one swallow may not be the harbinger of summer, the performance of Mill House in the Cheltenham Gold Cup could well be the first of a record number of victories in the blue riband of steeplechasing by the most impressive youngster that I have had the good fortune to see. In only his second season Mill House, the youngest in the field by two years, gave his elders a lesson in fluent fencing and powerful finishing and romped home from two great but tiring steeplechasers, Fortria and Duke Of York.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Cheltenham 50 years ago. A tale of...
Show More
Report pauli March 11, 2013 11:23 AM GMT
I was only 9 years old when these 2 great horses clashed in the 1964 Gold Cup but I've watched the video many hundreds of times.  Peter O'Sullevan's commentary as Arkle jumped the last and galloped up the run-in still brings a tear to my eye, "This is the champion.  This is the best we've seen for a long time".  Truer words have never been spoken.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PDNPTJs4PU
Report salmon spray March 11, 2013 11:28 AM GMT
I was 12 in 1963 but I was mildly ill and managed to persuade Mother I shouldn't go to school. Only thing on TV was racing,which till then I had no time for. Been hooked ever since. Mind plays tricks though. I remember the gold cup fairly accurately but I could have sworn Arkle went on about halfway and won by a distance. Well it was a LONG time ago.
Report foxy top March 11, 2013 11:35 AM GMT
you probly remember the 2nd or 3rd victories Crazy
Report salmon spray March 11, 2013 11:37 AM GMT
Yes and I remember the mistake in 1966 which few others could have recovered from. May not have noticed in 63 because I didn't have a clue about the sport.
Report ged March 11, 2013 11:39 AM GMT
1964 Gold Cup:

1. Arkle - jumped well;held up;led between last 2;shaken up last; quickened;smoothly
2. Mill House - led to 2 out; unable to quicken; hard driven flat
3. Pas Seul - one pace from 17th
4. King's Nephew - no chance from 17th

SP:-
8/13 (op 4/5) Mill House
7/4 (op 6/4) Arkle
20 King's Nephew
50 Pas Seul

Dist:- 5, 25, 15
Report pauli March 11, 2013 11:43 AM GMT
I often wonder how big the bets were on the big two that day.
Report salmon spray March 11, 2013 11:43 AM GMT
That was actually relatively close.
Arkle's next two when he was ridden more confidently were practically walkovers.
Incidentally though Pas Seul was a bit past his best he and King's Nephew were both better than some Gold cup winners. Weren't in the same county.
Report ged March 11, 2013 11:48 AM GMT
Incidentally, the race at Leopardstown that the reporter refers to, in which Arkle showed his "astonishing burst of finishing speed" was a 2 mile chase in Feb '63 in which Arkle carried 12-11 (a 12-runner non-hcap), and went off 1/2. Formbook comment "jumped well, slight lead 3 out; quickened flat; very easily"
Report foxy top March 11, 2013 11:52 AM GMT
ged

I like the race when Arkle nearly beat Stalbridge Colonist conceding 32 pounds I think,

you got coverage of that imo Happy
Report foxy top March 11, 2013 11:54 AM GMT
LOL, found it within seconds Shocked
Report foxy top March 11, 2013 11:54 AM GMT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxY1-LJrpaU
Report salmon spray March 11, 2013 11:55 AM GMT
After Arkle was beaten by Mill House in the Hennessy in 1963 there was a school of thought that he didn't really stay 26f and he was actually due to take on Irish Imp,who was the best 2 mile chaser in England,over the minimum distance. I THINK Irish Imp was the slight fav but it was lost to the weather. He WAS ridden for speed in the 1964 Gold Cup,tracking Mill House and indeed doing him for speed from two out. After that they started riding him much more adventurously.
Report ged March 11, 2013 11:55 AM GMT
When the 1964 Grand National weights were published, Pas Seul was allotted top weight of 12-0. Ayala and Carrickbeg, 1st and 2nd the year before, were allotted 10-7 and 10-8 resp.
Report miprixabloater March 11, 2013 11:58 AM GMT
I was in an illegal betting office in London with a pal of mine who was a little older

than myself and was well in the know, a race came along and a horse I had never heard of

was running, it was named Mill House, this mate said to me you should back this animal

as it is supposedly a right tool, I did, it made a load of mistakes in the race but still

won, as they say the rest is history.  Was it 50 years ago? how time flies.
Report salmon spray March 11, 2013 12:07 PM GMT
Mill Hose despite his size was quite precocious and had been a novice in the 1961-2 season when he passed 5. I don't think he was with Walwyn then. Dale ?
Report miprixabloater March 11, 2013 12:14 PM GMT
salmon on further reflection the horse that won, Mill House was its first outing under rules

I am pretty sure but not certain that Mill House had been PTP at an early age.
Report dod March 11, 2013 12:14 PM GMT
Don't think at the time that Willie Robinson thought there could be a better horse than  Millhouse pity Arke was around at that time but they were very special chasers,great memories.
Report ged March 11, 2013 12:18 PM GMT
The '64 Hennessy was perhaps their best head-to-head battle, as Arkle took Mill House on up front, and ran/jumped him into the ground

1. Arkle 7-12-7 "jumped well; led 3rd; led 12th; hit 2 out; ridden out"
2. Ferry Boat 7-10-0
3. The Rip 9-10-2
4. Mill House 7-12-4 "led 2nd; led 10th and 11th; hit 16th; weakened from next; finished very tired"

5/4 Arkle
13/8 Mill House
8 The Rip
20 Pappageno's Cottage
25 John O'Groats
25 happy Spring
33 others
Report sparrow March 11, 2013 12:19 PM GMT
I was 17 at the time and just had no idea what I was witnessing.
Report miprixabloater March 11, 2013 12:19 PM GMT
dod the original Dunkirk was perhaps the fastest jumper of a fence that I ever saw I was at either Hurst

or Kempton when sadly it met its demise.
Report ged March 11, 2013 12:20 PM GMT
Distances: 10; 12; 6; 10; 6
Report salmon spray March 11, 2013 12:21 PM GMT
That's usually quoted as the race that broke Mill House's heart. I think that happened the season before when he finished 2nd to the very useful Dormant in the Whitbread trying to give him 42lb. Yep 42 that's not a typo.
Report sparrow March 11, 2013 12:22 PM GMT
Morning miprixabloater, wasn't Dunkirk the Queen Mother's horse?
Report dod March 11, 2013 12:22 PM GMT
Yes i loved watching Dunkirk i was still young enough to shed a tear when it was killed.
Report salmon spray March 11, 2013 12:27 PM GMT
Wasn't the QM's but was with Cazalet her trainer. Killed at Kempton in The King George trying to take on Arkle. Dunkirk was a tearaway front-running 2 miler who had no chance against Arkle over 3m. Cazalet had won it with a 2 miler in the 50s ( Rose Gate ? ( and he persisted in trying to repeat the feat.
Report miprixabloater March 11, 2013 12:31 PM GMT
Morning sparrow, I dont know, two or three other favs of mine around that time were Crudwell, Frenchman's cove

and Gay Donald, I remember Gay Donald one afternoon at Sandown when long odds on fell at one of the railway fences was

remounted and won by a distance, those were the days.
Report ged March 11, 2013 12:31 PM GMT
Dunkirk won the Mackeson Gold Cup carrying 12-7. Fortria won it twice carrying 12-0. No other horse has won it with 12-0.
Report sparrow March 11, 2013 12:33 PM GMT
You are right salmon, memory playing tricks with me again and just checked that it was owned by Colonel Whitbread.
Report haplessamatuer March 11, 2013 12:36 PM GMT
nice thread  Ged
great memories revived
Report miprixabloater March 11, 2013 12:37 PM GMT
sparrow funny thing the memory, certain things I would have bet my life

on that happened 50 odd years ago have proven to be incorrect
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2013 12:40 PM GMT
There was an article in the Sporting Life the next day saying Arkle had killed Dunkirk,it also said it was cruel to ask a horse to race with Arkle.
Dunkirk was owned by Colonel Whitbread and ridden by Bill Rees he was a pure two miler,because the King George field was cutting up they decided to run Dunkirk in a sporting but foolish gesture.
Dunkirk fell out the country in a vain effort to regain the lead,Bill Rees always maintained the horse was dead before he hit the ground he claimed his heart burst.
It was a sad end for an exuberant jumper but the fact is his stamina gave out.
Report sparrow March 11, 2013 12:45 PM GMT
Too true about memory miprixabloater, gets worse everyday! One of my old favourite jockeys was Michael Hayes and I keep thinking he was called Martin for some unknown reason.
Report miprixabloater March 11, 2013 12:50 PM GMT
Bill Rees was the Queen Mothers Jockey had a brother who was also a jump jockey whose first

name began with the letter M he was much less high profile than his brother who himself was

just a decent journeyman.  The top lads in those days imo were F.Winter the Moloney Brothers,

Brian Sullivan?,Dave Dick and the up and coming Terry Biddlecombe.
Report salmon spray March 11, 2013 12:58 PM GMT
You'r going back a bit further Miprix. i don't remember Sullivan,Dick had weight problems and Biddlecombe was top of the tree by late 1965 when Dunkirk was killed. Rees,who was joint stable jockey with Mould by then,certainly thought he died of a heart attack in mid-air. Rees broke his leg badly in the fall and when he came back got very few if any rides off Cazalet. he was Bob Turnell's son-in-law so got some off him,but Turnell already had Haine and King not to mention young Andy.
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2013 12:59 PM GMT
Stan Mellor
Josh Gifford
Tommy Carberry
Pat Taaffe
Report salmon spray March 11, 2013 1:05 PM GMT
Gifford and Winter were stable jockeys to Price. Kellaway replaced Winter in 64 I think.
Robinson was Walwyn's stable jockey, but he also used Nicholson at times.
Rees and Mould rode for Cazalet
Biddlecombe for Rimell.
Haine and King were Turnell's. They were the big 5 down south.
Report dod March 11, 2013 1:07 PM GMT
B Turnell takes me back to another wonderful favorite of mine Buona Notte what a terrific horse it was.
Report miprixabloater March 11, 2013 1:11 PM GMT
salmon, would I right in posting that either Haines or J Uttley only ever rode in

Hurdle races.  I met Uttley some years ago in Teneriffe where he was enjoying a

holiday due to the largesse of the injured jockeys fund, he looked very fit and well.
Report salmon spray March 11, 2013 1:13 PM GMT
jumpers born in 1957
Arkle
Mill House
Buona Notte
Dunkirk
Irish Imp
Ben Stack
Dormant
What A Myth
Highland Wedding.
Only the one GN,but 5 Gold Cups,3 King Georges,2 Champion chases,3 Whitbreads,3 Hennessys.
Report haplessamatuer March 11, 2013 1:13 PM GMT
some good old jockeys here

http://rickrideshorses.hubpages.com/hub/The-greatest-horse-racing-jockeys
Report miprixabloater March 11, 2013 1:15 PM GMT
dod it was young Andy that introduced the are of riding jumpers with short stirrups

before him all the lads rode like John Wayne.
Report salmon spray March 11, 2013 1:18 PM GMT
Uttley rode over hurdles and on the flat,mainly for Staff ingham. There was another guy ( Dillon ? ) who only rode over hurdles. Haine rode over fences including Buona notte and moi.
Andy rode much shorter than most current jump jockeys.
Report salmon spray March 11, 2013 1:25 PM GMT
They didn't ALL ride like John wayne. Pat Taafe did but Haine for instance rode pretty short. I always thought young Andy copied Piggott but thinking about it he would have watched Haine every day. Just took it further.
Report miprixabloater March 11, 2013 1:27 PM GMT
salmon I refer you to my post at 13.15.
Report salmon spray March 11, 2013 1:30 PM GMT
I think Turnell would look unusual over jumps now. They probably did ride longer in the 60s but Taafe is the only one who gives me the John Wayne image. He was quite old and outdated tbh but of course associated with the greatest chaser of all-time.
Report dod March 11, 2013 1:31 PM GMT
Always remember J Haine riding quite short as well as A Turnell don@t know who came first though.
Report miprixabloater March 11, 2013 1:33 PM GMT
dod Haines I am sure preceded Turnell in their riding careers and come to think

of it Haines did ride short.
Report ged March 11, 2013 1:34 PM GMT
Here's the Herald preview of the '64 Massey-Ferguson Gold Cup, featuring Arkle and Buona Notte (who had won the 3 mile nov chase at Cheltenham the previous March). It came 7 days after the Hennessy battle referred to above:-

Arkle travels to Cheltenham today in a bid to add the £5000 Massey-Ferguson Gold Cup to his ever-growing tally of winnings, which were swelled to more than £25,000 by his brilliant Hennessy Gold Cup win last week-end.
Although he picked up only a half penalty for that victory, Arkle still has 12st 10lb to hump round Cheltenham's two miles and five furlongs course. He is called upon to give almost 2st to last season's top novice Buona Notte, and even more to such a seasoned campaigner as Scottish Memories.
Defeat for the Irish champion seems out of the question after last Saturday's great triumph, but over this shorter distance and with his heavier burden he could well be shaken up by one or two of the less fancied contenders.
Buona Notte, for instance, although far less experienced as a fencer, made great strides last season winning the Totalisator Champion Novices Stakes at Cheltenham in March, he beat Fort Leney, Arkle's stable companion, and a representative field.
Today's race could be something of an anti-climax after Arkle's spreadeagling display, and though I take him to win again, I think Buona Notte represents a live threat.

Runners:-
1111-11 Arkle (3lb ex) 7-12-10 P Taaffe
111111- Buona Notte 7-10-12 J Haine
1223-11 Wilmington II (6lb ex) 8-10-6 W Rees
12-0104 Flying Wild 8-10-6 T Carberry
120-331 Scottish memories 10-10-5 C Finnegan
1F/2223-0 Happy Spring 8-10-5 S Davenport
1-3F31F The O'Malley 6-10-0 P Broderick

Betting F/C 4-11 Arkle, 9-2 Buona Notte, 8-1 Wilmington II, 100-8 Scottish Memories, 33-1 Others

Result:-
1. Flying Wild (jumped well; with leaders from 11th; led approaching last; headed; soon ld; just held on)
2. Buona Notte (looked and jumped well; headway from 10th; slight lead last; blundered on landing; ran on well flat)
3. Arkle (jumped well; always prominent; led approaching 6th; led 13th until approaching last; rallied near finish)
4. Scottish Memories

Distances:- sh;1;2;15

8/11 Arkle
4 Buona Notte
8 Scottish Memories
100/8 Flying Wild
100/7 Wimington II
33 Others
Report salmon spray March 11, 2013 1:35 PM GMT
Wot i said.
Haine was Bob Turnell's stable jockey before Andy was old enough.
He was associated with Buona Notte and a certain great hurdler.
Report miprixabloater March 11, 2013 1:37 PM GMT
salmon I would think that all but a very few jockeys in bygone days rode with the

lenghth of stirrup that A Thornton and R McGrath do today.
Report salmon spray March 11, 2013 1:39 PM GMT
Haine threw away that race by being over-cocky. Buona Notte was cruising but made a mistake at the last and couldn't recover. Never finished another race. Ran twice and fell,the second time fatally        Sad
Report dod March 11, 2013 1:46 PM GMT
Always got the feeling racing against Arkle took a hell of a lot out of horses even getting huge amounts of weight.
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2013 1:50 PM GMT
Flying Wild was ridden by Tommy Carberry who was the son in law of the trainer Dan Moore,Tommy Carberry has just relinquished his trainers licence his daughter Nina is now the trainer.Tommy trained the 1999 Grand National winner Bobbyjo ridden by his son Paul,Tommy Carberry also rode a Grand National winner LEscargot in 1975 and going full circle that dual Gold Cup winner was trained by Dan Moore and like Flying Wild owned by Raymond Guest.
Raymond Guest also owned two Derby winners both trained by Vincent OBrien Larkspur and the brilliant Sir Ivor.
Report ged March 11, 2013 1:51 PM GMT
Johnny Haine called his house "Buona Notte". He died in '98.
Report salmon spray March 11, 2013 2:00 PM GMT
Scottish Memories is another interesting one from that race. Very useful hurdler/chaser who won a hell of a lot of races mainly in England. Was actually trained by Pat Sleator in Ireland but Sleator had a sort of satellite yard in England where Arthur Thomas held the licence. I think there was some question at one time as to whether they were breaking regulations.
Report dod March 11, 2013 2:06 PM GMT
SP i think if i am right i remember seeing one of their horses running at musselburgh called Black Ice i think was it someone called beasley that rode for them probably memory going again.
Report ged March 11, 2013 2:10 PM GMT
Scottish Memories had already won 24 races going ingto that Massey-Ferguson.

John Lawrence has a bit in his book about Paddy 'Wisdom' Sleator (and he refers to the 'mysterious' Sleator/Thomas link). He rode one for 'them' at Market Rasen one day, and saw no sign of connections until down at the start, where Sleator appeared from behind the starter's car, and gave him instructions : "just keep hold of his head until the 2nd last; jumps pretty good". He did. Raceform comment read "Led approaching 2 out; comf". JL said 'comfortably' was an understatement. It was an SP job. He never saw Sleator again.
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2013 2:12 PM GMT
Paddy Sleator was both a brilliant trainer and gambler and landed many touches in England,he used Arthur Thomas as a second stable,his jockey was Bobby Beasley.All the Irish horses were contained in a separate yard being looked after by Sleators staff who had no contact at all with Thomas.
For a while Thomas revelled in the limelight but he was unhappy about being kept in the dark,the Stewards were also unhappy about the arrangement,all knew now they were Sleator horses but the Stewards decided to deal with this by subterfuge,they kept a close eye on Thomas.Finally a Steward witnessed him paying money to an amateur,he did it quite openly as it was just the amateurs expenses,he was bought before the stewards and they withdrew his licence.
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2013 2:14 PM GMT
Black Ice won the Triumph Hurdle when trained by Paddy Sleator under the name of Arthur Thomas.
Report ged March 11, 2013 2:14 PM GMT
Black Ice won the Triumph for them in '66, the year before Persian War. I remember seeing him in a race on TV, and I thought he was running against the likes of Even Keel, Cavalry Charge, and Persian War, in a novice hurdle, though that must be at least partly wrong.
Report salmon spray March 11, 2013 2:17 PM GMT
I remember that now wildman. I saw Thomas interviewed once and tbh he appeared to be a sandwich short of a picnic. Was this when Beasley had hit the bottle as well. He had certainly lost a more prestigious job with Rimell.
Report dod March 11, 2013 2:17 PM GMT
I was just a kid at the time but thought it was a good animal to be running there come to think of it it must have been on the flat at the time.
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2013 2:24 PM GMT
Beasley was Sleators jockey up to the time Thomas lost his licence,he was living in England so he moved to the Derek Ancil stable while back in Ireland the Irish champion Bobby Coonan took over as Paddy Sleators stable jockey.
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2013 2:33 PM GMT
Sleator was a gambler but demanded absolute secrecy,his new jockey Bobby Coonan had his own punters and he had this code for them,if he tucked his whip under his left hand it was off under the right not today.
Sleator knew all about this so at a big meeting in Punchestown he was riding a 6/4 shot for Sleator in a maiden hurdle,he told Coonan you will not be winning today he then gave the signal word filtered to the ring the result a huge drift on the favourite but just at the death all the real Sleator punters moved in and backed it off the boards.
Meanwhile the horses are circling at the start when out of nowhere appeared Paddy Sleator,he told Coonan change of plan if you don't win this race don't turn up for work tomorrow,the horse won easily money collected and a harsh lesson learnt by some.
Report salmon spray March 11, 2013 2:38 PM GMT
Was Sleator Curley's real dad ?          Wink
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2013 2:41 PM GMT
He was far more successful but he was a major gambling stable and he seemed to do what he liked.
He had personal tragedy in his life in the late sixties and was never quite the same again,nothing remains of his once great stable.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now