Forums

Horse Racing

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
the dealer
13 Jan 13 21:37
| Topic/replies: 8,869 | Blogger: the dealer's blog
anyone know what he's doing now.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Jimmy Bleasdale
Show More
Report Deltâ January 13, 2013 9:38 PM GMT
wasnt he teaching at the Northern racing college
Report geordie1956 January 13, 2013 9:39 PM GMT
Probably doing something unethical like all former jockeys
Report koikeeper January 13, 2013 9:41 PM GMT
Jimmy is a former Champion Apprentice and was Champion Northern Jockey riding 90 winners.
He served his apprenticeship with Sam Hall and remained loyal to his predecessor Chris Thornton until injury forced his retirement in 1991.
Jimmy held a licence for 17 years and rode 847 winners in many different countries. Between 1978 and 1987 he rode 7 Classic winners in India and Singapore, including back to back Singapore Derby successes. Since retirement from the saddle Jimmy has bought, sold and produced yearlings for the breeze up sales.

Trained apprentice riders in Qatar. Acted on behalf of the Qatar Jockey Club as a Stipendiary Steward and also an Assistant Starter. Jimmy worked for the Press Association reporting on races between 2000 and 2009. He stills rides work every day for Gill Duffield and works as a Jockey Coach for the Northern Racing College and the British Racing School.
Report Deltâ January 13, 2013 9:41 PM GMT
Name: Jimmy Bleasdale

Jimmy BleasdaleJimmy is a former Champion Apprentice and was Champion Northern Jockey riding 90 winners. He served his apprenticeship with Sam Hall and remained loyal to his predecessor Chris Thornton until injury forced his retirement in 1991. Jimmy held a licence for 17 years and rode 847 winners in many different countries. Between 1978 and 1987 he rode 7 Classic winners in India and Singapore, including back to back Singapore Derby successes. Since retirement from the saddle Jimmy has bought, sold and produced yearlings for the breeze up sales. Trained apprentice riders in Qatar. Acted on behalf of the Qatar Jockey Club as a Stipendiary Steward and also an Assistant Starter. Jimmy worked for the Press Association reporting on races between 2000 and 2009. He stills rides work every day for Gill Duffield and works as a Jockey Coach for the Northern Racing College and the British Racing School.
Report koikeeper January 13, 2013 9:42 PM GMT
Grin
Report DUNERUNNER January 13, 2013 9:42 PM GMT
Don't know what he is doing know, however, have distinct memories of him winning the Ebor in 1977 on Move Off - maybe because I had a good bet on the second Lighter trained by Dick Hern and ridden by Willie Carson. Lighter looked all over the winner until Move Off came with a late rattle up the rails and got up on the line.
Report 545APG January 13, 2013 9:52 PM GMT
He pops up at Redcar where he is heard on the tannoy before each race

Every horse "is not without a chance"

He's a good remedy for insomnia
Report the dealer January 13, 2013 9:54 PM GMT
many thanks, all the fonts of knowledge Grin

one other name that was brought up in a conversation Stanley Chin i remember him riding for braveheart. did he leave the country under a cloud?
Report ribero1 January 13, 2013 9:55 PM GMT
I was on Lighter that day donerunner,looked sure to win but seemed to wander about a bit from memory,ended up winning the stayers hurdle for john edwards.
Remember backing one of chris thornton's at haydock,12's down to about 4's and bleasedale dropped his hands and just got caught.called something like midland lad i think,he was very cocky in those days but no doubt a good jock.
Redcar employed him occassionally last year previewing the race and giving paddock comments,it was enough to drive you to sleep.
Report seanjames January 13, 2013 9:56 PM GMT
his cousin double chin was a better jockey
Report ribero1 January 13, 2013 9:56 PM GMT
lol APG,too right!
Report the dealer January 13, 2013 9:57 PM GMT
ribero... i always thought he didnt reach his potential.
Report ribero1 January 13, 2013 10:00 PM GMT
probably the dealer,although i can't remember how it finished for him as he wasn't at the top in the north for long.
Report the dealer January 13, 2013 10:03 PM GMT
i'm sure he went a bit astray, seem to remember a few stories about gambling on cards but i may be wrong
Report jamov January 13, 2013 10:04 PM GMT
wasn't he the only Jockey at the time to have a beard
Report forgotmyusername January 13, 2013 10:26 PM GMT
Seem to recall him having a bad fall on the gallops about 30 years ago and never really gatting back. Was a top apprentice around the time of Darley and Swinburn and the subject of an ITV documentary when he was at his peak.
Report patsyone January 13, 2013 10:27 PM GMT
SAM HALL HAD HIM JOCKED OFF SHOTGUN IN THE DERBY,FOR THE SERVICES OF LESTER
HORSE FINISHED 4th I BELIEVE
HORSE BELONGED TO GUR REED
Report ekbalko January 13, 2013 10:38 PM GMT
I was talking to him at Redcar a couple of years ago and he was saying he had to retire after a fall and was advised by the doc to give up race riding.Happy memories of Move Off my favourite horse at the time.
Report wee eck January 14, 2013 11:29 AM GMT
I knew him quite well he was a decent lad, a serious head injury ended his riding career.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now