Forums

Horse Racing

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Oasisdreamer
03 Jan 13 17:26
| Topic/replies: 291 | Blogger: Oasisdreamer's blog
Guys,

It's my dad's birthday soon and I'm thinking of getting him membership with a Racing Club.  Any recommendations please?

Looking for a club that runs their horses flat and jumps so he has an interest all year round.

Thxs.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Racing Club Recommendation?
Show More
Report conditor January 3, 2013 5:32 PM GMT
Depends how much you want to spend bud ,Elite racing is one of the cheapest ,Derbyshire racing syndicate is very good a bit more expensive ,you get what you pay for
Report Oasisdreamer January 3, 2013 5:52 PM GMT
I don't mind paying £50 to £100 per month.  Value and good service / management more important.

I don't want to get involved with the big clubs like Elite.
Report gbtp January 3, 2013 5:54 PM GMT
As a member of Elite Racing Club I can confirm it is cheap. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for.
Report conditor January 3, 2013 5:57 PM GMT
that would get you about a 1\12 share in a couple of horses i'd guess,someone will be along to put you right gl with it
Report Deltâ January 3, 2013 6:04 PM GMT
^ not racehorse
Report Steamship January 3, 2013 6:08 PM GMT
I've had shares in the past with different companies.

What benefits do you want?

Which area of the country? For me this is the most important thing as I want to be able to go and see the horse.

How receptive are the trainers to a syndicate owner visiting?

My best experience was with Paul Clarkson who had horses with Peter Beaumont. I hear that John Quinn is very good.
Have a look at Middleham Park Racing to get some ideas.
Report conditor January 3, 2013 6:15 PM GMT
How much did it cost you steamship? ....if you don't mind me asking
Report Oasisdreamer January 3, 2013 6:15 PM GMT
I'd say he would want horses that run on a regular basis and good comms.  No blah just good honest service and no ridiculous mgmt fees that add to the costs.

We are in Scotland so the further North the better for going racing etc.
Report EastLower Gooner January 3, 2013 9:08 PM GMT
I know you said flat and jumps....if you're looking for something a bit more exotic then there's plenty of affordable racing clubs Stateside. Especially ones that'll give you a fixed stake in the horse if it was sold / went to stud (none of that leasing nonesense or small print rules you see over here). you can do a google search. (just putting it out there).
Report scooper82 January 3, 2013 9:24 PM GMT
Ive never used them, however a northern based one I recall was Panther racing, had horses with Chris Grant, Alan Swinbank, James Ewart amongst others... Fees were not that astronomical IIRC.
Report posy January 3, 2013 9:36 PM GMT
Join the Timeform/Betfair club....great value
Report MadVlad January 3, 2013 9:56 PM GMT
Lucy Normile trains near Perth,she has a couple of syndicates so I would get in touch with her mate.
Report Oasisdreamer January 3, 2013 10:50 PM GMT
I was looking at the Timeform/Betfair club for him but a bit concerned it's a bit like Elite Racing with hundreds of owners and not very personal.  Anyone else give it the thumbs up?

Will investigate Lucy Normile but ideally looking for a club/yard that is more dual purpose than her.  Still those meets at Perth come April / May would be excellent days out and nearest track to us as well.
Report knot in wood January 3, 2013 11:13 PM GMT
why dont you pick a few trainers you fancy in your area,and have a look at their website.
they will have horses for sale,syndicates etc.
Report Steamship January 4, 2013 9:10 AM GMT
conditor- I can't honestly remember the cost. The horse I had shares in was Stitch B he came second at Perth then later he got injured and was retired. Paul Clarkson was really good to deal with and Peter Beaumont was excellant, I was allowed to go to the yard and see the other horses including Jodami.

If I was in Scotland then I would be contacting Lucinda Russell because I think that stable come across as being really open.
Keith Dalgleish would also be one of my choices.

I'm pretty sure that most trainers will give you time over the phone if you ask what is available.
Report Dr Gonzo January 4, 2013 9:57 AM GMT
Alistair Lidderdale is supposed to be very good with syndicates.
Report Oasisdreamer January 4, 2013 10:12 AM GMT
Cheers guys,

I have had shares in horses in the recent past and I am actively looking for a leg or half share in something new - happy to be patient though.  You would be surprised at the trainers that show disinterest when you contact them looking for a leg etc.

I'd say Racing Clubs are a slightly different niche and not one i know a hell of a lot about.  Hopefully you guys can give one or two the thumbs up.
Report Outpost January 4, 2013 10:53 AM GMT
Oasisdreamer when I started out in ownership one of the racing clubs I joined was Heart Of The South Racing (HOTSR)

when I was there, they had really poor horses and most were all weather class, but now they are getting a much better class of horse and they use different trainers (flat and jumps)

not sure if it's what you're looking for as you only get a share in one horse, but for instance they have a galileo colt with Gary Moore that is going to be a dual purpose horse.

check out their website (search HOTSR) as they have 5% and 10% shares available in horses from just over £100 per month to over £200 per month.
In most cases you will have to pay an initial up front fee for your share (form around £500 to £2,500 depending on the horse

they do tend to target big meetings with their horses but if you check out the website it should give you more details.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now