Forums

Horse Racing

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
peterhiggins
04 Sep 12 21:05
| Topic/replies: 530 | Blogger: peterhiggins's blog
any one got any details  of this racehorse owner
trainers he used good horses he had 
how did he get his wealth
Share |
Show More
Report Shalimah September 4, 2012 9:46 PM BST
Lives in Sicklinghall nr. Wetherby
Money came from haulage business.
Held a trainers license for thirty to forty years though in reality a succesion of different assistant trainers did most of the work.
Robert Ogden lives in the same village and got into racing through Jack.

Good horses i remember include,
Majestic Marahaj
Frankie
Sultans Ruby
Bolden
Yahoo
Winter Melody
Amber Valley
Report Shalimah September 4, 2012 9:50 PM BST
Handed in license 95 or 96.Most of his runners since seem to hve been with Barry Hills.
Report verbotene liebe September 4, 2012 9:57 PM BST
Owned many horses with WA Stephenson too - Don't Forget and Why Forget spring to mind.
Report jonnyfc38 September 4, 2012 9:58 PM BST
still owns horse now with alex ferguson i believe
Report PAULBU September 4, 2012 10:32 PM BST
Early 1970s, Jack Hanson had his own private trainer, Mac Turner at Boston Spa just south of Wetherby.
He had about 18 horses, Crisalgo, won the Chester Cup in 1973, Walshford won XYZ handicap at Newcastle, Don Wonder was a good hurdler. Hanson had a jockeys licence.
He gave Turner the push in 1975 and took out a licence to train himself.
Report durose13 September 4, 2012 10:35 PM BST
seem to remember Barry Hills plotting a few gambles in them colours
Report themightymac September 4, 2012 11:34 PM BST
I may be wrong but I think that he has only owned one Group or Listed race winner:

Above Average (2009 Sandown Classic Trial G3) trainer barry hills

His other big wins being:

Crisalgo (1973 Chester Cup) trainer mac turner
Torch Singer (1963 November) trainer norman scobie
Tearaway (1965 November) trainer sam hall

and over hurdles:

Winter Melody (1978 Imperial Cup) trainer himself
Report Dobbo September 4, 2012 11:40 PM BST
Great trainer.If I remember rightly he should have won the Imperial Cup the year before but Winter melody made a mistake at the last and a certain Mr N Henderson got up on one of Fred Winters.Acquaint I think it was.
Report themightymac September 4, 2012 11:44 PM BST
correct Dobbo @ odds of 16/1 Acquaint
Report Shalimah September 4, 2012 11:46 PM BST
I may be wrong but i think Frankie was 5th in the Guineas and later that year ran in a maiden in scotland. I had a 110/100 which was a huge bet for me at that time.
Report Shalimah September 4, 2012 11:49 PM BST
Didnt Acquaint beat winter melody in the Panama cigar hurdle final at Chepstow with a cetain Nicky Henderson up
Report Cork Langer September 5, 2012 12:54 AM BST
Jack Hanson's best effort at winning a classic was as recent as 2006 when The Last Drop finished second to Sixties Icon in the St Leger beaten 2 and a half lengths, it did have the misfortune to be ridden by Richard Hills that day though...!
Report wroughtironronn September 5, 2012 9:19 AM BST
He had an arrangement with Ernie Johnson to ride his horses at one stage
Report PAULBU September 5, 2012 9:21 AM BST
the mightymac
I thought that Sam Hall trained Torch Singer as well as Tearaway to win the November Handicap. A bit before 1963 and 1965 as well I would think.
Report onlooker September 5, 2012 10:10 AM BST
Correct, PAULBU

A decade of November Handicap winners ...
of which, Sam Hall trained Five.

1950 - Coltbridge - Sam Hall - Joe Sime - 100/6
1951 - Good Taste - Sam Hall - Billy Nevett - 28/1
1952 - Summer Rain - Jack Jarvis - p Evans - 100/6

1953 - Torch Singer - Sam Hall - jockey D Ward - owner J Hanson 40/1
1954 - No Race.
1955 - Tearaway - Sam Hall - Walter Bentley - J Hanson 40/1

1956 - Trentham Boy - Towser Gosden - Josh Gifford  - T Degg 100/6
1957 - Chief Barker - Ryan Price - D Walker - 33/1
1958 - Paul Jones - Arthur Budgett - Joe Mercer - 100/7
1959 - Operatic Society - C Benstead - K Gethin - 18/1
1960 - Dalnamein - Sam Hall - Harry Greenaway - 28/1
Report PAULBU September 5, 2012 10:31 PM BST
Thanks for the info Onlooker, but a question beckons, if Jack Hanson owned the winner of the 1953 November Handicap, just how old is he ?

themightymac, Thanks for reminding me that Jack Hanson had horses with Sam Hall before he started out on his own with Mac Turner. These threads are good for jogging the old memory.
Report onlooker September 5, 2012 10:50 PM BST
LOL  PAUL - I thought exactly the same when posting.Grin

Given that he, "lives in the same village as Robert Ogden" - then perhaps there is some staunch rivalry at Bingo Night down the Local Village Hall - not to mentioned being prospective Chairman of the Parish Council.
-------------------

Shalimah -

Jack Hanson's FRANKIE started 6/4 fav (from evens) for a maiden in his 3-yr-old career - finishing 6th - having been beaten in his 3 races as a juvenile.

He then finished 5th in Wollow's 2000 Guineas - beaten 4 lengths - at 200/1

Then he was 7th in the Mecca-Dante - 5/1 (op 7/2) - and finished 14th in Empery's Derby at 75/1.

Frankie then won your £100 bet - in the 1m 2f Brodick Stakes on the Saturday of the Ayr Western meeting - by 10 lengthsGrin - at Evens Fav.

* Given his 'previous' - I would bet that there would have still been plenty of Layers on here. - had Betfair been around.Grin

He was then well-beaten in the Cambridgeshire and a York Handicap.
Report Shalimah September 5, 2012 11:15 PM BST
Thanks Onlooker, i been googling to see if i could find out how old Jack is, he seems to keep it quiet. i did find this thoough

"Jack Hanson's association with Redcar racecourse stretches back over 50 years and he was on track to welcome back his Forget Me Not Lane after the John Smith's Redcar Straight-Mile Handicap.

Trained by Kevin Ryan, the three-year-old was having just the fourth start of his career in the qualifier of a series which culminates with a final on October 6.

Ridden by Graham Lee, who has made a great start to his career as a Flat jockey, his supporters will have been worrying two furlongs out.

But the 7-1 chance appears to have stamina in abundance and Forget Me Not Lane stuck to the task in game fashion to beat My Guardian Angel by a neck.

"I came today because I don't live far away, I don't go racing much now," said Hanson.

"I used to train, I had over 600 winners, the best I had was a horse called Frankie who finished fourth in the Guineas and ran some good races.

"I won the Zetland Gold Cup in 1961 and I served on the board of directors here for over 40 years."

Joe O'Gorman, Ryan's assistant, said of the winner: "He's a nice horse but he's a big baby.

"That's his minimum trip, in time he'll want further.

"I'm delighted he's won for the owner as he's a wonderful man."

I also found that he has moved from Sicklinghall to Hollins Hall just outside Harrogate nr. Hampsthwaite.

I think Frankie did go on to win that good mile and a quater handicap at epsom on derby day (daily Mirror?), possibly twice.
Another one i remembered was Smokey Bear which won the seller at the Ebor meeting which was the subject of some discussion a coupleof weeks ago. We used to know a lad in the yard he put us off it, said they had 6 2 yr olds that year and that this was the slowest. I dont think any of the others won that year although to be fair his horses were usually given plenty of time.
Report PAULBU September 6, 2012 12:07 AM BST
Hanson's horses were usually bred to get a trip and I don't think that Smokey Bear won the 5f Rous seller at York. He might have run in the race but I don't recall Hanson ever winning that particular race. It won at Catterick once when I was there but that was 7f.
Report Shalimah September 6, 2012 12:23 AM BST
Cheers Paulbu, though it depresses me that my memory is failing me so badly. I used to have every form book from the early fifties (my dads) up to 1995, but gave them away when i moved. Would give anything to have them back so i could check before i posted.
Report PAULBU September 6, 2012 12:28 AM BST
I lost a few form books 12 years ago in a flood and 1977 was one of them so I'm unable to check whether Smoket Bear ran in the race or not. I just can't recall Jack Hanson ever winning that race.
Report themightymac September 6, 2012 12:52 AM BST
No problem Paulbu. Onlooker, are you sure Sam Hall trained Torch Singer to win November Handicap? I could have sworn it was Norman Scobie. Memory can play tricks though, I suppose. Nice thread.
Report onlooker September 6, 2012 1:06 AM BST
You are correct, PAUL

Smokey Bear won the London and Northern Group Nursery - 7f - at Catterick on Saturday Sept 17th 1977.
Ridden by Stuart Webster, claiming 3 - carried 7st 9lb, and won by half a length from Reparation.
14 ran- SP 11/1

Prior to that he finished a poor last of 5 in the Champion Two-Year-Old Trophy at Ripon-
His first outing since MAY.
Won just that once, from 6 outings, as a 2-yr-old.

The ROUS SELLER in 1977 - was win by Lester Piggott on Jeremy Tree trained Negative Response -
5/4 Fav for owner-breeder, and long standing, patron of Tree, Miss Monica Sheriffe....

Whose colours were, of course ... Blue Bird's Eye, WHITE Cap
Report themightymac September 6, 2012 1:09 AM BST
Apart from Sharpo, I can`t think of any other top horses that carried her distinctive colours, but there must have been, no?
Report mr crisp September 6, 2012 1:09 AM BST
a nice sensible thread a pleasure to see enthusiastic people shareing there memories
its a rarity now a days on the forum
Report onlooker September 6, 2012 1:15 AM BST
Well done, mightymac - Rare typo on my part.

Just cross-referenced with 'Racehorses of 1953' Annual - and Norman Scobie it is.

Won by 10 lengths - and they put a 7lb claimer up - just to make sure. Grin
Report themightymac September 6, 2012 1:21 AM BST
you had me puzzled for a bit and was thinking I was going senile. Very rare typo onlooker. I would have put money on you being right Crazy
Report onlooker September 6, 2012 1:28 AM BST
It was 10-10 this morningSad ....

I am far, far, better at this time of the dayGrin

In fact it is now when I do all my preparatory Form work for the following day.
Report themightymac September 6, 2012 1:32 AM BST
Good luck tommorow mate, I`m off to watch NFL on Sky now having bet Cowboys. Goodnight.
Report PAULBU September 6, 2012 10:05 AM BST
I have a 1952 form book which shows Torch Singer trained by N Scobie at Richmond. Yet, The Breedon Book of Horse Racing Records lists the winner of the 1953 November Handicap as Torch Singer, Jockey Dennis Ward, Trainer Sam Hall, Owner Jack Hanson. The plot thickens.
Report ged September 6, 2012 10:12 AM BST
mightymac - I think Constans ran in her colours. He won the same Epsom 5f race at least 3 times in a row. I think he was about Listed class.
Report ged September 6, 2012 10:18 AM BST
Jack Hanson is about 89.
Report onlooker September 6, 2012 11:31 AM BST
Beat me to it, ged

I was going to make Monica's CONSTANS my first post this morning.

Those Epsom races probably included Quoit and Duty Sheet, too.
Report Huggy September 6, 2012 11:32 AM BST
I go to the pub regulary in the village of  Sicklinghall http://www.scottsarms.com/,always a bit of horsey talk about,as it happens it is only a stones throw away from the ex Michael Dickensons stable in Harewood/Weeton.

In the 1970/80s when my father had a betting shop in Harrogate always had good money from both stables.
Report dunlaying September 6, 2012 12:43 PM BST
Mighty Mac
Only For Life,J Lindley,J Tree 2000 Guineas,year dot.
I think it beat Ionian in a photo.
Report ged September 6, 2012 12:44 PM BST
I've done Constans a disservice. He won the Group 3 Prix de Saint-Georges at Longchamp in 1972, 73 and '74, at the ages of 7,8 and 9. I do think he also won 5f races at Epsom, but I'm now not so sure about the 3-timer there.
Report ged September 6, 2012 12:50 PM BST
He also won the 2000gns trial at Kempton on Easter Saturday as a 3yo, and was 2nd in the Cornwallis as a 2yo, so basically he was a classy sprinter for about 8 years.
Report Shalimah October 8, 2012 10:35 PM BST
Its been bothering me for over a month,finaly found what it was i had half recalled.
Derwent valley won the 1986 Rous stakes at 25/1 trained by J Hanson ridden by J H Brown(5)
May not mean much to anybody but i was worried i was going cuckoo.
Report Numismatist October 8, 2012 10:50 PM BST
Handy Trick another good one of Jack's. 2nd to one of the easier Hennessy winners, Strands Of Gold, when ridden by Micky Hammond
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now