Forums

Horse Racing

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
efisio.
04 Apr 10 12:32
| Topic/replies: 4,430 | Blogger: efisio.'s blog
Can anyone tell me where I can view online, a complete list of standard times.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Racecourse Standard Times
Show More
Report efisio. April 4, 2010 12:38 PM BST
It's ok, I've found them.
Report moongirl3 April 4, 2010 12:38 PM BST
where?
Report mitch88 April 4, 2010 12:48 PM BST
which are the best speed ratings; topspeed or splitsecond? or indeed, are they the same?
Report Glasgow Brian April 4, 2010 12:49 PM BST
where efisio ?
Report efisio. April 4, 2010 12:55 PM BST
If you go to the RP website and click on racecourses, then click on each individual course, there is a tab for standard times.
Report mitch88 April 4, 2010 12:56 PM BST
At Musselboro over 2m the RP standard is 3m 25s. The record however is 3m 26.6s.....eh?
Report efisio. April 4, 2010 12:56 PM BST
Mitch, I like topspeed to be honest. But I am now compiling my own.
Report mange April 4, 2010 12:58 PM BST
carefull ......they change the course ........take out fences .....hurdles .....etc
Report mitch88 April 4, 2010 1:02 PM BST
was thinking of having a go myself and just dusted down "Mordin on Time"...i think he must have changed his methods since the book as he talks about ratings in the 60s and 70s where on his site 40 is a good figure.
Report efisio. April 4, 2010 1:03 PM BST
Yes I know, to my cost.

Mitch
Standard Times show how fast a horse should take to cover every distance at every racecourse. Don't think of them as average times, rather times that set the standard.
Report Ramruma April 4, 2010 1:21 PM BST
Note that Mordin has decided:

1) that gravity does not affect racehorses

and more importantly:

2) that his methods do not work in NH racing (and if you look at his site he now bases his ratings on sectional timing of the last couple of furlongs).
Report efisio. April 4, 2010 1:42 PM BST
Ramruna
I know a trainer who always times his horses on his gallops. However he only times the final 2 furlongs. He also has a theory that any horse can win a race providing it can do 25 seconds or better for the two furlongs. It is then a case of working out the correct trip and tactics for the horse.
Report prufrock April 4, 2010 2:45 PM BST
Note also that Mordin stated repeatedly that sectional times were meaningless...

...until the point when he realised that he could get plenty of material out of writing about them.
Report efisio. April 4, 2010 3:23 PM BST
You may be being a little harsh there. Over time peoples perceptions can, and do, change. Though I am aware of Nick Mordin, and read his book Mordin On Time in 1996, I don't use his ratings.
To be honest, even though I am now compiling my own speed figures, they are not going to be used alone in the selection process. They will provide a useful tool, and hopefully help to confirm any selection I make. I'm not sure where Mordin gets his sectional times from, but they should be universally available to all punters (if they are not already).
Report Roger De Bris April 4, 2010 3:31 PM BST
Nick needs to update that book, its ancient. His theory that use standard times on Good or faster is QUITE difficult in Irish NH....where its usually bottomless and the rails are moved so much only the Good Lord knows what distance theyre running over.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now