Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
woodmanchester
27 Nov 17 18:55
| Topic/replies: 25,212 | Blogger: woodmanchester's blog
Tickets ordered for Aintree Dec 9th

Already backed Blaklion at 13/2 with Laddies price boost. Not bad with Bristol De Mai enhancing the form

Already got 25/1 for the National proper, too! Excited
Share |
Show More
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK December 7, 2017 12:49 PM GMT
Lodge out again
Fresh can he repeat last years run despo
10s

Same sort foes as last year too
Report equine flew December 7, 2017 1:36 PM GMT
I backed Highland Lodge earlier in the week at 14s Fattie.

EXCITEMENT is already building at James Moffatt’s Pit Farm Stables as Highland Lodge prepares to return to his favourite track.

Moffatt’s 11-year-old is readying himself for a shot at a second Becher Chase triumph over the world-famous Grand National fences at Aintree.

Winner of the race in 2015, and a close second to Vieux Lion Rouge in 2016 – a horse also back in contention this time – Highland Lodge will go for victory once again in Liverpool on Saturday, December 9.

His handler, working with new owners Cheveley Park Stud after they bought the horse just before his tilt at the Grand National in April, has been thrilled with the preparations at his Cartmel base, and is confident another top-four finish is the minimum he will achieve.

He's doing really, really well. His work has been every single bit as good as last year – if not better JAMES MOFFATT
“I can’t wait,” said Moffatt as he counts down the days to the race. “He’s doing really, really well. His work has been every single bit as good as last year – if not better. I’m not ever suggesting that an 11-year-old is improving, however the way he is working, he is working better than ever. I’m very much looking forward to it.

“This year, the Becher Chase is his Derby. I’ll speak to Cheveley Park Stud about what the plan would be after, and whether we went again for the National, or we possibly went for the big amateur race at Aintree over the same fences, that might be a possibility. But the Becher Chase is all-encompassing now, that’s all we’re thinking about.

“His work is fantastic, he’s just as good as last year, and I can say with some confidence that I can’t see him out of the first four. I don’t care what’s in it, he’ll be in the first four.

“I don’t like making predictions like that, but he’s just so well, he’s so right in himself. Mileage is the thing that affects horses, nothing else, and he’s got no miles on the clock, he’s trained for one race.

“As you can probably tell, we’re really looking forward to it.”

While a second run in the Grand National is a possibility, Moffatt does not want to downplay the merits of the Becher itself.

Unseasonably hot weather in April meant the National was not to be for Highland Lodge this year, as jockey Henry Brooke pulled him up close to the end of the race as he fell back among the field.

But rather than think over what might have been and what could be come next spring, the trainer is steadfastly focused on what lies just ahead.

“I wish the Grand National was on in December!” Moffatt laughed.

“But it’s a race in itself, the Becher. It’s a massive race, where we can really savour it. To line up for three Bechers is quite amazing – and it will be the horse’s fourth Becher, which is quite something, because he ran in the Becher for Emma Lavelle.

“He’s been trained for the race, we did the same last year, and his work has probably been even better for this year.

“There is very stiff gallop with the hill here, and he is tanking up the hill now. Even last year wasn’t as good as this year.

“If we take the same game to the table as we did last year, I’m confident.

“It’s not the horses you know will be going for it, the usual suspects, the horses to be worried about are the young, improving horses who take to it. But I would rather have a horse at this point in time who is tried and tested, who you know will be suited to the National fences, and who you know will go there and be suited to the conditions, rather than a horse that you never know about, because you don’t know until they do it if they will take to the National fences. I would rather have those guarantees around me.

“Fair enough if we get beat by a young, improving horse, but I think the ones you know are going to go for it, I don’t think they hold many fears for us – given a clear round and all those things. It’s very exciting.”
Report IrisDeBalme December 7, 2017 2:56 PM GMT
I backed Highland lodge 14s... amazing record in the race... in fact I have also backed last year's winner

VEUX LIONS ROUGE... Scudamore does me no favours but he is also one that loves these fences... think this race and distance will suit him more

But prefer 1st 2nd last year.

Blaklion is way too short in these types of obstacles... NTD is looking at national ... doubt he will risk his mark... otherwise will be top weight come April ... he needs a few pounds off...
Report Hibore December 7, 2017 4:52 PM GMT
Blaklion is potentially the best handicapped horse in training through BDM. He might as well win this as the handicapper will clobber him anyway.
Report 1st time poster December 7, 2017 5:19 PM GMT
is my card A mistake whats with the gavin sheenan twister tie up for blaklion
Report woodmanchester December 7, 2017 11:51 PM GMT
Backed Highland Lodge for the Becher last year. Thought he'd won as I cheered from the grandstand but Vieux Lion Rouge just nabbed him. This is Lodge's National. Doesn't get the trip in the "big one"

11/4 Blaklion now anyway, so my 13/2 looking good! Excited
Report woodmanchester December 8, 2017 12:17 AM GMT
Poster, I could ride Blaklion and it would still win! Laugh
Report equine flew December 8, 2017 8:43 AM GMT
I will be  going tomorrow as well woodmanchester.  Exactly the same as you I thought Highland Lodge had it won last year. 

You are sitting nicely with you bet, have a great day.
Report dunlaying December 8, 2017 2:31 PM GMT
Westerner Point is expected to run well and Lord Windermere could surprise.
Report betilyerded December 8, 2017 3:05 PM GMT
Im on Goodtoknow at 33-1 so you can rule that one out!
Report Meat Loaf December 8, 2017 3:09 PM GMT
Viva Steve at 16/1 looks solid. The Rooney's are desperate to win the National and this horse will be ready.
Report unclepuncle December 8, 2017 3:16 PM GMT
Goodtoknow @ 16/1 for me.
Report woodmanchester December 9, 2017 12:31 AM GMT
Cheers Equine, you too. Really looking forward to it. Snow not coming 'til Sunday apparently but still very nippy

Didn't Definitly Red unseat when looking likely for a place in last year's Becher? Goes in a supporting race anyway and gets my vote
Report olddesperado December 9, 2017 12:50 AM GMT
Westerner point and Highland lodge for me.

A small bit on both tonight and will go in on one of them tomorrow. 

If R Mclernon wasnt riding rogue angel i would have been very interested but ive never backed one of his that ive looked back and felt i was happy with the ride.
Report FELTFAIR December 9, 2017 10:25 AM GMT
Since Blaklion ran in last year`s Hennessey I`ve followed him over a cliff.So on again today.
Report Meat Loaf December 9, 2017 10:51 AM GMT
Might sound a silly thing to say but will the Twiston-Davies team really want to win this despite the £80k first prize. Protect the mark for the national and finish 4th or 5th today.

Viva Steve will be 100% ready
Report the bloob December 9, 2017 11:14 AM GMT
they will have to keep the horse well away from the track between now and April to avoid that, I'm pretty sure they are here to win today
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK December 9, 2017 1:15 PM GMT
Ground looks terrible

This going to take some winning that’s for sure
Report woodmanchester December 9, 2017 5:39 PM GMT
Brilliant. Never in doubt! Excited
Report woodmanchester December 10, 2017 12:48 AM GMT
13/2 Blaklion copybook over the National fences and 15/8 Definitly Red never touched a twig Love

Great day out despite the weather but too warm really inside stand. Just went on the outside on the balcony, directly opposite the winning line, race by race Grin
Report woodmanchester December 11, 2017 12:42 AM GMT
Been fishing for a "well-done, good call," or something but it doesn't seem to be forthcoming! Laugh
Report unclepuncle December 11, 2017 10:02 AM GMT
See the 'aftertiming'thread.
Report Facts December 11, 2017 11:50 AM GMT
Well done with the 13/2 Blaklion bet. Good call Cool
Report woodmanchester December 11, 2017 12:20 PM GMT
Hee hee, just fishing. I'm very happy anyway but thanks Happy
Report woodmanchester December 11, 2017 12:24 PM GMT
Uncle, how could it have been after-timing when the thread started and tip posted Nov 27th but race not 'til Dec 9th, please?
Report unclepuncle December 11, 2017 12:40 PM GMT
I'm assuming Harry was referring to your Definitely Red bet - you'll have to ask him.
Report woodmanchester December 11, 2017 7:43 PM GMT
That was posted well before the race took place itself, too! Happy

PS Didnt mind Sage taking all the plaudits for his Politologue hint on the Tingle Creek thread really Silly
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now