Forums

Greyhounds

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
LoyalHoncho
25 Jun 18 21:42
| Topic/replies: 4,137 | Blogger: LoyalHoncho's blog
FAO  Private Hire, and anyone else interested in history.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Dolores Roxket
Show More
Report LoyalHoncho June 25, 2018 9:46 PM BST
She's Dolores Rocket, but Sindy to me.

My most memorable St Leger was won by Sindy and this lion-hearted little black bitch bestrode Wembley like a colossus.  Of Course “Sindy” was the name Bert White, his brothers and their octogenarian mother gave her and, as the 1972 classic campaign started to take shape, nearly every racegoer in the land began to root for “Sindy”.  On the race-card however, the details gave her as Dolores Rocket, whelped March 1969 – a black bitch by Newdown Heather out of Come On Dolores and trained by HG White in Surrey.

Dolores Rocket, one of the greatest greyhounds of all time, came to Wembley in August 1971, with half the nation already behind her.  She arrived at the North London stadium as the most popular and, dare I say, most loved greyhound since the war.  She had won the Spring Cups at Wimbledon and Wembley over 700 and 525 yards respectively, Romford’s Essex Vase over 650 and of course the Greyhound Derby at White City.  She was such a sought after star that Wimbledon put on a special 700 yards race for her called the Sindy Trophy which she obligingly won in track record time of 39.58 seconds!

A swift pipe-opening solo over the Wembley 525 yards saw her get within three lengths of Pigalle Wonder’s track record and in the first round of the St Leger the “Rocket” zoomed in by no less than thirteen lengths at odds of 1-4.  This was to be the pattern throughout and the Whites were not going to get rich at prices such as 8-13 and 2-5.  When final night arrived the unbeaten sweetheart could be offered only at 1-2 and, when the traps opened, everyone realised instantly that this was to be a punters benevolent night, even at those cramped odds!

Spectre Jockey was 1971’s fourth biggest prize earner but connections must have been sick of the sight of Dolores Rocket.  In the Leger final they might have thought that their chance had come but the Wembley crowd knew from the start that a three lengths lead was not enough to fend off the power of the “Rocket”.  Sindy made sure she had a solo behind the leader and, railing beautifully out of trap 1, she had his measure by the third bend, as the vast crowd enthusiastically roared her home. Dolores Rocket raced on to lead Spectre Jockey by one and a half lengths at the line in a time of 40.03 seconds.

In her 1971 Derby/St Leger year Dolores Rocket, alias Sindy, won 26 opens and three times as much prizemoney as her nearest rival, Black Andrew.  She was deprived of even greater honours when she broke down in the Cesarewitch at West Ham and the breeding paddocks then became her new home.  Her St Leger win had sealed a brilliant racing career.

Alan Lennox  Greyhound Magazine  1980
Report privatehire June 25, 2018 10:55 PM BST
Nice 1 honcho.
Report irishone June 29, 2018 1:19 PM BST
I saw the bitch run at wimbledon, had her down as late seventies , shocked it was nigh on 50 years ago !
She was a striking looking greyhound more white than black as i recall.
Report LoyalHoncho June 29, 2018 7:40 PM BST
As I recall she was black with a little white blaze down her chest. Three white socks too I think.  No matter - what, we all remember was her brilliance.
Report irishone June 30, 2018 7:32 AM BST
Yeah the years feck yer memory
Report hectoratoratora June 30, 2018 10:08 AM BST
A mate of my father bought 2 pups out of her from the Broadford Boy litter.The dog was plain slow but the bitch was called Sandpiper Dolly and she won a good few opens including the brighton belle and she did the clock at Crayford after they switched from peat to sand.The other good one Dolores produced was Sindys Flame who i think won the golden jacket and maybe the tv trophy.I bought a bitch pup out of Sindys Flame at 12 weeks for about £1200 (a healthy sum back then) and she was the slowest and filthiest dog i have ever owned.
Report LoyalHoncho June 30, 2018 1:21 PM BST
Cheers and well done hector - shame about the last one but you had some great moments with Dolly.
Report Aladdin Sane June 30, 2018 1:43 PM BST
Thanks for that post Hector - you’ve just helped me take a trip down memory lane.  I remember Sandpiper Dolly and Sindy’s Flame as I was a regular at the ‘old’ Crayford (both peat and sand). Remember going to Walthamstow around 1977/78 just to back Sindy’s in a 1st round heat of the Grand Prix. Think John Honeysett was the trainer. Magnificent time to go greyhound racing -  despite being deprived of the magnificent graded two bend sprints and sprint h’caps that we’re privileged to have stuffed down our throats these days!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now