Forums

Greyhounds

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
seaside
15 Dec 17 16:39
| Topic/replies: 2,003 | Blogger: seaside's blog
I get the word this dog is a flying machine just over from Ireland it's down to run in a very low grade race at Clapton I go in and take the price 10/30 if I remember right.

Boxes open and my dog comes out well think it was in trap two goes the bend and the six dog cuts him off no problem still in second almost draws level and six cuts him off again

every bend he cuts him off and we finish second

I still remember the name of the dog Mel's Talent and the dog goes on to finish running in the Derby at White City and gets into the 1/4 finals.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Clapton 1960s gone for a right touch...
Show More
Report sparrow December 15, 2017 6:25 PM GMT
I remember Mels Talent and I think it was trained by Paddy Keane and never mind the quarter finals as it finished 3rd in the 1967 Derby Final.

Just confirmed it and another 2 Clapton dogs in the Final.

At White City (over 525 yards):[3]

Position    Winning Greyhound    Breeding    Trap    SP    Finish Time    Trainer
1st    Tric Trac    Crazy Parachute - Supreme Witch    1    9-2    29.00    Ronald 'Jim' Hookway (Owlerton)
2nd    Spectre II    Crazy Parachute - Supreme Witch    6    2-1f    29.08    Ronald 'Jim' Hookway (Owlerton)
3rd    Mels Talent    Buffalo Bill - Nice Talent    2    6-1    29.46    Paddy Keane (Clapton)
4th    Shady Parachute    Crazy Parachute - Shady Contempara    3    9-2    29.56    Phil Rees Sr. (Wimbledon)
5th    Silver Hope    Clonalvy Pride - Millie Hawthorn    5    5-2    29.94    Paddy Keane (Clapton)
6th    Ambiguous    Crazy Parachute - The Mistress    4    100-8    30.34    Paddy McEvoy (Wimbledon)
Report sparrow December 15, 2017 6:28 PM GMT
Spectre II was the ante-post favourite leading into the 1967 Derby and his owner Nat Pinson refused a £5,000 offer for the greyhound before the competition started. Pinson also owned Tric-Trac and put the pair with Owlerton trainer Jim Hookway. Other leading entries included Irish greyhound 'The Grand Silver' trained by Paddy Dunphy and Silver Hope one of a strong team of four for Clapton trainer Paddy Keane.

Neither Tric-Trac or Spectre II won their first round heats but all of the main contenders safely progressed to the second round with the exception of Monalee Champion. Irish interest ended in the second round and despite a troublesome race both Spectre II and Silver Hope survived the same heat to progress. Both were drawn together again in the semi-finals.

After taking a bump in the first semi-final Tric-Trac ran on well to claim third behind Mels Talent, Ambiguous another son of Crazy Parachute qualified in second place. The second semi-final was a repeat of the first with crowding affecting the race, Shady Parachute a daughter of Crazy Parachute won it with the pair of Silver Hope and Spectre II qualifying second and third respectively.

The final had four siblings, two full brothers, one half-brother and one half-sister, as well as two Hookway trained and two Keane trained runners. The Hookway pair had suffered problems after the semis with Tric-Trac having a split web and Spectre II suffering with a minor muscle strain, the injury with Spectre II was a concern due to the fact that he had been pulled out of the Gold Collar with the same injury. However by the day of the final both were reported fit and well. During the final both Mels Talent and Shady Parachute swung wide baulking Silver Hope and Ambiguous and forcing Spectre II wider. Tric-Trac missed the trouble by slipping through on the rails followed by Mels Talent and Spectre II. Tric-Trac held on to the win from his fast finishing brother Spectre II in a time of 29.00 sec
Report SPOT THE DOG December 15, 2017 7:00 PM GMT
seaside
A top punter told me once
If the dog you fancy is drawn in trap 2, halve your stake.
Report seaside December 16, 2017 2:58 PM GMT
There was some good dogs in that years derby
Report matso December 24, 2017 4:57 PM GMT
Loved Clapton .. Betting ring was incredibly strong,and the track was always buzzing tremendous atmosphere, Heartbreaking to see the game as it is today.
Report workrider December 24, 2017 6:13 PM GMT
Was that the same Paddy Keane that came home to Ireland to train and his wife's name was Olive, they had a cracking little black dog in the 90s that got tailed off for most of the race then came flying home to Paddy who sat down past the finishing line at H.X. screaming its name as they left the back straight .?
Report sparrow December 24, 2017 6:21 PM GMT
I don't think so workrider but couldn't be 100% certain.

1992 April 3 Paddy Keane, widely acknowledged as one of the greatest Irish trainers ever, died from a massive heart attack at his home in Kildare. His winners included English (Faithful Hope) and Irish (Pampered Rover) Derby winners. He also formed part of what was reckoned to be the greatest collection of track trainers ever assembled during his days at Clapton where he trained alongside Jimmy Jowett, Phil Rees, Paddy McEvoy, Adam Jackson, John Bassett and Stan Gudgin.
Report workrider December 24, 2017 6:25 PM GMT
Actually sparrow after reading how he died I'd say it was him,huge man and the timing is about right. Plus the Kildare angle rings true as well.
Report sparrow December 24, 2017 6:27 PM GMT
I have found another Paddy Keane from Limerick who may fit the bill.

1986 October 25 After winning the inaugural running of the Champion Stakes over 503m. at Shelbourne Park, Storm Villa, hopes to top a successful season for 503 metres distance at Limerick. Trained by Matt O’Donnell the orange jacketed runner was always in command and beat Gortown Supreme by a length in 30.65. Storm Villa (Aulton Villa-Storm Island) was bred by Paddy Keane in Limerick.
Report sparrow December 24, 2017 6:34 PM GMT
Paddy was a huge man when he trained at Clapton in the 60s. This was my local track and I hardly missed a meeting in those days.
Matso is spot on when he talks of the strength of that market and the atmosphere there. The class of dogs were phenomenal at that time and 4 winners of the Derby were trained here between 1961 and 1966.
Report sparrow December 24, 2017 6:56 PM GMT
My dad trained flappers in the 1930s at Temple Mills track which was close to the old Hackney Wick Stadium and he used to say that just because you had one ready didn't mean that that no one else did. Grin
Report mandown December 30, 2017 5:00 PM GMT
Sparrow, Flappers?I was told to call them Independent when I went to Raleigh stadium in the sixties. Tom Stanley the racing manager told me he would call Jimmy Jowett or Paddy when he put an open race on.He did this when he knew a firm had  entered an open race dog hoping to make some easy money.l lived within walking distance of Clapton my uncle was a bookie there. Do you remember Glenochill boy, bought by Stan Barrett local bookie  Hoxton, renamed Lucky Boy Boy. We all had a great touch..
Report mandown December 30, 2017 5:00 PM GMT
Sparrow, Flappers?I was told to call them Independent when I went to Raleigh stadium in the sixties. Tom Stanley the racing manager told me he would call Jimmy Jowett or Paddy when he put an open race on.He did this when he knew a firm had  entered an open race dog hoping to make some easy money.l lived within walking distance of Clapton my uncle was a bookie there. Do you remember Glenochill boy, bought by Stan Barrett local bookie  Hoxton, renamed Lucky Boy Boy. We all had a great touch..
Report sparrow December 30, 2017 5:27 PM GMT
Lucky Boy Boy was one of those 4 winners of the Derby trained at Clapton in the 60s. He won it in 1963 with Misty King also trained by John Bassett at Clapton finishing 5th. I went to Raleigh once or twice in the 60s but didn't think much of the place. I also recall Lucky Hi There and Lucky Joan from the same ownership which won the St Leger and the Scurry Gold Cup.
Report Deptford December 30, 2017 8:31 PM GMT
Seaside, My dog was running at Reading, he was a certainty, it was the night Liverpool were 3 down in Euro cup and won on pens, it was an open race, I went around as many shops as I could having £30 and £40 on, I travelled miles, then went to Paddington to get the train, he bolted out, was 5 clear going to the third bend and the hare fell off, that was a long journey home, the dog won me fortunes though, Get On Blackie he was called
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now