Forums

Greyhounds

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
derekk164
20 Dec 13 08:33
| Topic/replies: 35 | Blogger: derekk164's blog
Visited shawfield for the first time a few weeks back, and was sorely sorely dissapointed. Not really sure what i expected, but after attending an evening meeting in Sunderland about 6 months ago, the difference was chalk and cheese. Firstly, straight through the turnstyles at shawfield and out to the track an hour before racing. Lucky if there was 30 people there on a friday night. Then went into the bar to find there was no cash machine as 'someone stole it'. Had to leave the gate, drive 10 minutes to a petrol station cash point. Then probably the saddest sight was at the first race. I was probably one of about 5 people betting on the rail. Everyone else was betting the tote. Atmosphere was absolutey dead. Just to see if theres anyone on here who actively attends (or did in its heydey) Was such a shame, seemed to me like it was on its last legs.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Shawfield Greyhounds
Show More
Report xmoneyx December 20, 2013 5:32 PM GMT
been like that for years

its a miracle land hasn't been sold
Report MadVlad December 20, 2013 10:10 PM GMT
bring back Powderhall :(
Report xmoneyx December 20, 2013 10:14 PM GMT
wallyford steel frame for yearsSilly
Report middleman December 21, 2013 8:08 PM GMT
Never missed a meeting for about 15 years but only go on derby nights now.Main reason is because the betting ring is so weak now.I was there at the first round this year and it was empty and i would say alot of people spoke with their feet about the format and the big reduction in prizemoney.
Report xmoneyx December 22, 2013 11:53 AM GMT
who's the older guy glasses,plastic carrier bag,donkey jacket,and had pages of stats every dog,strong local accent

never  misses a meeting
Report middleman December 22, 2013 8:45 PM GMT
Sounds like a guy called Tommy i think was his name.Always carries loads of form and old programmes and his bag of choice used to be a Lidl plastic bag.Used to time the dogs to certain poles round the track.
Report woodmanchester December 23, 2013 12:11 AM GMT
Never been Shawfield but hoping to go for Derby and maybe earlier rounds 2014. Tickled me: "Someone stole cash machine!" lol. Laugh. Wonder what Bookie (Middleman) makes of it these days?
Report par December 23, 2013 2:36 PM GMT
farmfoods was the bag of choice middleman
Report Huggy December 23, 2013 6:08 PM GMT
I went to Shawfield a few months back while visiting Scotland for a footie match, the weather was very bad and the meeting was abandoned after three races, the problem was a massive puddle on the run to the first bend, when I spoke to a regular he told this always happens with heavy rain.
Report xmoneyx December 23, 2013 6:43 PM GMT
yeah it's tommy--is he still about
Report middleman December 23, 2013 8:14 PM GMT
Thats the one.Farmfoods Tommy everyone called him.
Report woodmanchester December 24, 2013 1:35 PM GMT
How was Uttoxeter Middleman and did you end up going Haydock?
Report middleman December 24, 2013 3:12 PM GMT
Went to Uttoxeter and home and then Newcastle Woody.The drive home both days was a nightmare with high winds and heavy rain but i won both days so isnt all bad.
Report woodmanchester December 24, 2013 5:44 PM GMT
Glad you won. Looked at the calendar and could go Uttoxeter for dates January, February or March. Re-Doncaster, planned to go for the Grimthorpe but it falls on missus birthday. She wants to go away, so will have to rethink that one. Tickets say any race meeting up to and including March, which would leave the Lincoln available but think it's supposed to be for National Hunt racing only. Will have to find out
Report irishone December 25, 2013 12:31 AM GMT
woodmanchester  • December 24, 2013 5:44 PM GMT 
Glad you won. Looked at the calendar and could go Uttoxeter for dates January, February or March. Re-Doncaster, planned to go for the Grimthorpe but it falls on missus birthday. She wants to go away, so will have to rethink that one.

Cry
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now