Forums

Greyhounds

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
chrisjake
19 Jul 10 11:05
| Topic/replies: 38 | Blogger: chrisjake's blog
hi lads i would like to know whats in place now at the sites where some of the dog tracks used to be both ngrc and flapping it will make intresting reading i know that some have never been built on as yet many thanks
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View DOG TRACKS LONG GONE
Show More
Report Mr. Memory August 7, 2010 3:39 PM BST
"Philbet"........The name does not ring a bell. If I come across any information whilst I turn through my old "Greyhound Owner" copies, I will post it.
My direct knowledge "oop North" only extends to Lancashire in the 1950s & South Yorkshire from about 1970, when I went to work in Barnsley.
I well remember my first visit to Owlerton, when Harry Crapper took in one of my dogs.
Report Mr. Memory August 7, 2010 4:09 PM BST
"chrisjake"..........What part of the Country are you most interested in ?
Report Mr. Memory August 7, 2010 6:27 PM BST
Wigan (Poolstock) closed in 1973........they raced on a Saturday afternoon & I once took a dog in that was getting 9 yards start in a handicap (450 yards ?). The dog went further & further away....it was my job to catch him at the pickup & get him to the van for a quick getaway. I was told that when it was backed, it went from 5/2 to no offer rather quickly.

Wombwell (Hough Lane) closed in 1972.

Warrington, where I took an excellent flapper to get some runs on his card, before he did a 30.26 at White City, closed in 1956...just before I left Manchester to return South.
Report starr August 7, 2010 8:41 PM BST
here's another old flapping track for you oldies on here,
rochdale,
not sure if it was round the old rugby ground.
Report DoubleDitto August 7, 2010 10:03 PM BST
Wilenhall. A old favourite I was told about by some of the old dog boys.
Report DoubleDitto August 7, 2010 10:04 PM BST
Chasewater - I was going to add to my previous post but I forgot.
Report hologon August 7, 2010 10:17 PM BST
rochdale really big galloping track
Report Mr. Memory August 7, 2010 10:25 PM BST
The track was at the original home of Rochdale Hornets - the "Athletic Grounds"

Bob Roper, the Manchester bookmaker, used to break in his Irish purchases there. Most of them had the "Baytown" prefix & he had one or two open class hurdlers.
Report expat August 8, 2010 8:22 AM BST
There was a thread some months ago - I cannot remember the title - where old newsreels featuring greyhound racing from lone gone tracks are located; you just had to do some searching on the site. One I kept as it was fairly local was about the flapper at Staines. The link is here http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=47494 but there are others on the Pathe site. Worth a 'search'.
Report bbc2 August 8, 2010 8:30 AM BST
what about bolton
Report eastmead August 8, 2010 9:51 AM BST
Cobridge also in Stoke brilliant track where we schooled many pups pre NGRC.
Report bbc2 August 8, 2010 9:54 AM BST
remember going to bolton derby heats ngrc stripe outside lots of dogs withdrawn
Report clayfield1 August 8, 2010 11:41 AM BST
Philbet,spike dog track was at thurnscoe, think it was some were near were the thurnscoe hotel pub is now, closed in the 50s I think.
Report Mr. Memory August 8, 2010 2:36 PM BST
Hazel Grove was at the end of the Stockport Corporation 92 bus route from Mamchester.
The site had a valuable potential for housebuilding in the 1950s & it was gone by 1960.
Gus Oppenheim, whose boards still appear on the racecourse, used to bet there.
Report chrisjake August 8, 2010 5:36 PM BST
MR MEM mostley intrested in yorkshire flapping tracks but its good to read all these posts mate takes me back to some great nights racing in areas now changed forever keep em coming
Report sparrow August 8, 2010 6:11 PM BST
Mr.Memory. Would you happen to know anything about a flapping track situated in Temple Mills Lane in the east end of London close to the old Hackney Stadium.
My father used to run dogs there in the 1930s and it may have been called Stratford Stadium.
Report Mr. Memory August 8, 2010 6:19 PM BST
"Chris"........When I went to work in Carlton in 1973,one of my first outings was down the road to Kinsley where I paid a young lad 50p to look after my car in the car park.
Granville Pearson was one of the 6 bookmakers & I immediately felt at home with fellow dogmen.
After about 6 months, I had a working knowledge of the local dialect. Then I went to Cudworth & had to start all over again.
Report Mr. Memory August 8, 2010 6:40 PM BST
"sparrow".........Temple Mills was the wrong side of London for me.
The person to ask is Dougie Tyler.....he used to bet there.
He is well turned 90 & still bets at Romford (without the favourite)
Report sparrow August 8, 2010 6:50 PM BST
Mr Memory. Thanks for the reply unfortunately I live in Yorkshire so I probably will never get to Romford although I was brought up in the East End.
Report ColonelsRib August 8, 2010 8:16 PM BST
Found this one on the internet Mitcham Greyhound Stadium - apparently Leyton Orient brought the East Stand for their ground in 1956.
Report ColonelsRib August 8, 2010 8:25 PM BST
Edmonton Greyhound Track situated Lower Edmonton London, opened in early 1930's and was a flapping track
Report ColonelsRib August 8, 2010 8:52 PM BST
Stainforth, nr Doncaster, Askern, West Cumberland Workington, Willow Park and Great Houghton both around the Kottingley area 1938, Wheatley Hill Coundon Belmont and Spennymoor Co.Durham
Report alan53 August 8, 2010 9:12 PM BST
any one know when holmes rotherham flapping track closed. use to run dogs there 1950-1960s.can remember at one time 2 betting rings.saw some very good sheffield dogs beat when gambled unable to run track first time.up and down hill.
Report bbc2 August 8, 2010 9:18 PM BST
taffs well skewen bedwellty forest fach brean
Report Mr. Memory August 8, 2010 10:23 PM BST
"alan53".......1974, just after I went to Barnsley.
Report bbc2 August 8, 2010 10:38 PM BST
forest fach looked a picture when i first visited super turf
Report Al Dente August 8, 2010 10:42 PM BST
Exeter, presumably the Rugger pitch is still going. I had the sprint TR holder there.
St. Austell, market or some kind of business? Won an open there 30 years ago yesterday.
Newton Abbot, no trace now, part of the horse race track. (visited last year)
Glastonbury? I have no idea whether that one is still going.
Brean? same as above.
Live in Canada now, no dogs here except Huskies. :)
Report Mr. Memory August 9, 2010 7:16 AM BST
"Al Dente".........The "Animal Rights" organisation is very active in the West Country & make life difficult for any promoter.

The original Newton Abbot track was called "Halfway" as it was near Kingkerswell on the road to Torquay. It had the sharpest bends that I have ever seen.....the track was almost triangular in shape.

Nearly every bookmaker was called Redfern.
Report Cinema August 9, 2010 12:00 PM BST
What cracking memories some of these posts bring up.I must have attended dogs at least 4 nights a week throughout the 1970s-2000 visits! Anyone remember Loudwater? (straight track in High Wycombe)
Report DIGGER1 August 9, 2010 12:01 PM BST
ColonelsRib Wheatley Hill is still going.Good thread heres a few tracks that I have raced at over the years what I dont think have been mentioned and hopefully someone can reveal what replaced them.Ashfield,Mount Vernon,Wallyford,Wishaw,Stanley,Hartlepool,Blackpool,Preston,Chester,Bury St.Edmunds,Ipswich,Clacton,Aldershot.
Report DIGGER1 August 9, 2010 12:05 PM BST
missing...Blackpool,Preston,Chester,Bury..
Report Mr. Memory August 9, 2010 12:33 PM BST
"Cinema"......Up the hill at Loudwater....it probably packed up when the bike chain that towed the lure wore out.
Report Cinema August 9, 2010 12:39 PM BST
Mr Memory,yes I do remember that hare being very hit or miss!
Report chrisjake August 9, 2010 1:58 PM BST
WOW how many tracks are there still open answers on here please not on a postcard thanks
Report Mr. Memory August 9, 2010 2:34 PM BST
"Cinema".......I think that the "hare" was the inspiration behind the invention of the bouncy castle.
Report Philbet. August 9, 2010 2:35 PM BST
Very little mention on here of the Scottish tracks their must have been 20 at one time, the likes of Carfin,Wishaw,Ayr,Wallyfood,Ashfield (went one year in the 80s for their £4000 derby and their was 23 books standing). + many more.
The Scottish were renowned for having the best sprinters in the British isles,if there was a good sprinter in Ireland it invariably ended up flapping in Scotland.
last I heard Gretna was still open are there any others?
Report chrisjake August 9, 2010 2:44 PM BST
hi phil the tracks left in scotland flapping as far as i know are ayr  armadale thornton gretna corbiewood not sure about carfin
Report Cinema August 9, 2010 4:29 PM BST
Mr Memory,I wish it had inspired me to invent the bouncy castle!
Report hovekermit August 10, 2010 10:19 PM BST
Two tracks that nobody have mentioned,,,,,  westerham Hill straight on Sunday morning and Gillingham in Somerset again a straight.
Report allpoints August 10, 2010 10:28 PM BST
Stockton-Pear shaped with a fair down hill run into the tight bend,built on I believe.
Hartlepool-Not a bad track but Cyril would never put my dogs on the card,
Coundon-mentioned earlier,now has a couple of buildings on it but otherwise just a field.
Gateshead-Don't know if anyones mentioned this one.
Report allpoints August 10, 2010 10:33 PM BST
A couple of Scotch ones which I don't think have been mentioned
Hawick
Brig Of Don(or something like that-Aberdeen)
Another English one Ashington.You needed a dog with its left legs shorter than its right ones here to get round the corner flags.
Report dungbeetle August 10, 2010 11:37 PM BST
Cinema and Mr. Memory  LOUDWATER was run by georgie Rogers? moved from there to High Wycombe when his 8? legal meetings expired?
Similar straight meetings that era throughout essex at Brentwood ,tilbury,noak hill.Rayleigh has that been mentioned?they even had trotting at one time and also staged 10.30pm start on saturdays after southend finished.Maidstone in Kent and Lynsted(sat, afternoons) run by george macey of the Stedlyn prefix fame (later kennels for Mr and Mrs Cumner reading and sitingbourne)now housing estate,oh dear i,m getting old! Rochester!
Report chrisjake August 11, 2010 1:51 PM BST
was there once a track at canterbury think it was ngrc track or i may be getting mixed up with sittingbourne
Report Slippy Blue August 11, 2010 3:05 PM BST
CANTERBURY GREYHOUND STADIUM

Greyhound racing first took place at the Kingsmead Stadium track, replacing speedway, in 1988. A number of very successful years meetings were held at the track, and many dogs from the track enjoyed Open race successes. However, the Council-owned track closed its doors on 30th October 1999, and some 2 years later the football club ceased being.
Report chrisjake August 11, 2010 6:32 PM BST
a sad tale slippy but true of many great tracks now gone makes you wonder where the sport will be in the next ten years mate
Report missile August 11, 2010 8:45 PM BST
spike was two miles from highgate yorkshire, highgate track still there flapping
Report chrisjake August 12, 2010 1:18 PM BST
HIGHGATE IS STILL GOING TWO BOOKS WHO WILL TAKE AT LEAST A MONKEY SO WORTH A VISIT
Report chrisjake August 12, 2010 1:20 PM BST
same at askern still going you can get 1500 to 2000 on so again worth bringing a fair dog
Report chrisjake August 13, 2010 3:40 PM BST
ANYONE REMEMBER SHEFFIELD HYDE PARK NEAR THE FLATS I THINK
Report missile August 14, 2010 9:12 AM BST
HIGHGATE ST LEDGER HEATS 29TH AUGUST. FINALS 5TH SEPT. FLAPPING STILL GOING IN SOME PLACES
Report Twentyeighttoone August 15, 2010 9:33 PM BST
Allpoints
A couple of Scotch ones which I don't think have been mentioned
Hawick
Brig Of Don(or something like that-Aberdeen)
Another English one Ashington.You needed a dog with its left legs shorter than its right ones here to get round the corner flags.

Fantastic call on Ashington, however there were some great dogs seen around there, on a personal note I miss the old place had some good old gamble there
Report chrisjake August 16, 2010 1:42 PM BST
how many tracks left flapping in the north east now fellas ?
Report allpoints August 16, 2010 2:17 PM BST
Easington & Wheatley Hill,don't know if Cambois is still going.
Report chrisjake August 16, 2010 2:19 PM BST
is there still racing at wansbeck and is this a flapping track
Report dungbeetle August 18, 2010 8:43 AM BST
maidstone-world of leather.what about tilbury?
Report DIGGER1 August 18, 2010 8:42 PM BST
Think Wansbeck only race one night a week and last I heard Wheatley Hill was Friday night only.
Report chrisjake August 18, 2010 8:46 PM BST
thanks digger i may take a trip up how many books are there and do they lay a fair bet
Report DIGGER1 August 19, 2010 9:13 AM BST
Hi chrisjake think theres 3 books at Wheatley Hill and only the one at Wansbeck but its only what i've heard at the races as I have not been for about 10 years.Good luck if you venture up.
Report chrisjake August 19, 2010 3:15 PM BST
CHEERS MATE BE LUCKY
Report chrisjake August 20, 2010 9:19 PM BST
any scotch lads know about ayr closing or is this just a load of ball****
Report TheMadGhost November 3, 2010 9:10 PM GMT
Hope I'm wrong but Wheatley Hill closed after arson attack on 14 May 2005
Report TheMadGhost November 3, 2010 11:15 PM GMT
The following, I hope, are still open:

Armadale
Askern
Ayr
Corbiewood
Easington
Ellesmere Port
Fakenham
Gretna
Valley
Wansbeck
Warwick
Westhoughton
Whitwood

That's 13.
Report greytom November 4, 2010 8:18 AM GMT
Armadale,Ayr,Gretna, Thornton,Wheatley hill,Easington,Wansbeck,Westhoughton,Ellesmere.Askern.Highgate.Valley
Report greytom November 4, 2010 8:21 AM GMT
Dont no what happened there add Ellesmere, Askern.Highgate, Valley
Report greytom November 4, 2010 8:23 AM GMT
Does anybody remember Denny my 1st track Motorway 2 Stirling went thru itWed nite Sat afternoon Gray or Frew wood rember it
Report greytom November 4, 2010 8:27 AM GMT
Chris went 2 Hyde park for the big Council of Gt Britain open Paddy Sweeney organised it My friend had the fav for final on the way home he stopped for a drink dog got stolen his name was Wee Willie
Report chrisjake November 4, 2010 1:15 PM GMT
I REMEMBER ted soppit getting a dog either getting nicked or loose at spennymore years ago
Report greytom November 4, 2010 6:42 PM GMT
Chris whats that do do with Hyde Park
Report TheGameAintStrait November 4, 2010 7:21 PM GMT
for those that asked, southend is now a retail park appropriatly named stadium way. ill never forget the 40p tote units with collosal dividends and the thursday night open racing specially the early 80s with along the line and mr blueskies frequent winners over the 647
Report TheMadGhost November 4, 2010 7:29 PM GMT
Found the following article, (thought it might be of interest):

Eighty years ago,on April 7,1928, greyhound racing-which had been introduced to Britain two years earlier at Manchester's Belle Vue Stadium- came to Wales.
The first meeting took place at the now long gone Welsh White City Stadium at Sloper Road in the Grangetown area of Cardiff.
Owing to the persistent rain that fell that historic Easter Saturday only 9,000 spectators turned up. And when the first hurdle event was declared a no-race, because  the dogs were so busy fighting each other that none of them completed  the 470 yard
track, the future of greyhound racing in Cardiff didn't look too promising.
However, fine weather on the Easter Monday saw some 25,000 people paying either 2s 4d or 5/-to get into the stadium which before the Second World War had been a venue for  football, rugby, speedway, athletics and other sporting events.
The Greyhound Racing Association (South Wales) had erected six
kennels with accommodation for 180 dogs and under the grandstand
there was spacious accommodation for its members who were provided with a lounge,bar, ladies room,cloak room all for just two guineas  a year.

Owners who intended to race their dogs at the track paid just a
£1  a week and they could select any of the following trainers Paddy
Fortune (Cork),William Baldwin(London), Albert Carter (Somerset) D T Edwards
(Wattstown) and T Phillips(Cardiff).
In those days, the greyhounds raced on turf not sand and this had  been brought from Caerphilly Mountain.The stadium was said to be comparable with the big London tracks like Wembley and White City and 'the dogs'   became so popular  that soon afterwards another greyhound track  was  opened at  then world famous Cardiff Arms Park.

Mick The Miller, the most famous greyhound in the history of the sport, set a world record of 29.55 seconds for the standard distance of 525 yards when winning the 1930 Welsh Greyhound Derby at the Sloper Road stadium. Another famous greyhound to race there was Beef Cutlet  trained by John Hegarty who later became the racing manager at the Cardiff Arms Park track. Beef Cutlet, won the 1933 Welsh Greyhound Derby clocking 29.56 seconds,just 01 slower than Mick's tremendous time.

The opening of the greyhound track at the Cardiff Arms Park  was reported to have been:" A triumph of pluck and perseverance.''  Men  were still working on the track a few hours before the public were admitted and it was, not until 6 o clock that the hurdle trials were held. Despite the hustle and uncertainty the meeting went off without a hitch and   5,000 fans are said to have had an interesting evening's sport  even  though the grading of dogs was not what it might have been.

A band played during the intervals as the dogs paraded and a new  type trackers hare proved most satisfying. When greyhound racing came to Newport's Somerton Park Stadium in the November of 1932, several thousand people waited an hour,  after  the fifth race, while  electricians tried to remedy a mechanical defect in   the flood-lighting. Earlier, Alderman Fred Phillips formally opened the ' most modern Welsh track' and the South Wales Argus reporter wrote: "Whiz went  the hare; fleet-footed sped the dogs after it,their legs and  bodies  craned to see those wonderfully intelligent animals jockey for the position near the rail.'' "There were gasps of wonder and astonishment as newcomers to the sport saw the fastest animals trained on four legs leap gracefully  over the hurdles.'' The fault, however, could not be  located and  officials had no alternative but to abandon the rest of the card.

Greyhound racing came to an end at the old Sloper Road track  during  the war years and at Somerton Park it finished  in 1963 after the twice-weekly meetings attendances,   every Tuesday and Friday, had dropped to hundreds rather then the 3,000 after the war crowds who had supported  it. A crowd of  700 gathered to witness the  death nell of the sport in Newport and it was the mechanical  hare, that  had raced around the track a million times since 1932, which had the last  laugh, for,  as the final race was about to start, the traps opened  too soon – before the dogs with the hare chasing the dogs for a  change! Len  Davies, secretary at Somerton Park, told a local newspaper: "Some of the best dogs in  the country have raced at Somerton Park.  Perhaps the best of them all was Antartica, a white bitch which set a track  450 yards  record  in a Somerton Stakes heat in 1958.''
He also recalled that during the same year three dogs-Combined Hope,Finnerty and Maglin Breeze-ran a triple dead heat, a very  rare occurance indeed. Sadly, greyhound racing at Cardiff came to an end on July 30,1977 because the Welsh Rugby Union needed the track to extend  terracing  at the National Stadium. 1,128 fans saw Lillyput Queen, owned by Cardiff butcher Malcolm Davies and trained by Freddie Goodman,win the last race.Cardiff City Council   had taken less than ten minutes to reject a plan to switch   greyhound racing to Maindy Stadium. And no longer would enthusiasts flock there to see well-  known greyhounds such as Shaggy Lass(1945), Trev's Pefection   (1947), Ballylanigan Tanist (1951), Endless Gossip(1952) Mile Bush Pride (1959) and Patricia's Hope(1972) who all won the Welsh Greyhound Derby. Now fans in Wales have only three flapping (unlicensed) meetings  to attend at Swansea, Bedwellty and Ystrad Mynach to witness  there favourite sport.
Report greytom November 5, 2010 6:59 PM GMT
sum more Scottish flaps Clydebank Denny Motherwell Larkhall Galston Irvine Townhead&Stadium Auchenleck Falkirk Linlithgow &coatbridge both outside McGee Hare Tranent Wallyford Kirkcaldy Kilmarnock Stevenson
Report CASHLESS-LOOKING GOOD November 5, 2010 8:44 PM GMT
THE MAD GHOST IS FAKENHAM THE SAME AS IN NORFOLK
Report TheMadGhost November 6, 2010 2:09 AM GMT
cashless looking good - Yes, inside the racecourse
Report chrisjake November 6, 2010 7:07 PM GMT
not any more fakenham closed years ago and newton abbot i think
Report TheMadGhost November 6, 2010 11:22 PM GMT
Fakenham closed in 1999 but reopened on Sunday, 7 June 2009.  Whether it's still open or not, I can't find any information.
Report greytom November 8, 2010 12:18 PM GMT
Add Methil &Dunfermline 2 Scottish flaps gone
Report whitmarsh November 8, 2010 5:22 PM GMT
Mad Ghost,Most interesting article.The Somerton track was at the old Newport County football ground.I delivered a dog to the landlord of The Ruperra pub on Commercial Rd. Newport some time after the war and went with him to the track.Interesting to see the admission prices at Cardiff.I was a boy the first night Harringay raced but I seem to remember the men paid 1/-to get in.A few years later it went up to1/6 including the racecard  so in comparison Cardiff was dear.
Report whitmarsh November 8, 2010 5:33 PM GMT
Endless Gossip gets a mention,he was an amazing greyhound from birth.His sire Priceless Border was a Derby winner ,so was his dam I think her name was Niagra Anna .Not many bitches won the Derby.Endless Gossip won a Derby himself and after his racing days were over his trainer,Leslie Reynolds,probably the greatest of all time took him coursing.I think he got to the semi final of The Waterloo Cup.After his coursing days were over the handsome brindle got into the finals of Crufts.I know he was a champion show dog and I would say the most versatile greyhound of all time.
Report TheMadGhost November 8, 2010 7:25 PM GMT
whitmarsh - Thanks for your comments.  I remember the first time I went to Whie City, London in 1968 it was 5/- entry to the cheap side, (7/6 the main grandstand), so again it shows how dear Cardiff was.  The only bitchs I can remember winning The Derby are Sarah's Bunny (1979)& The great Dolores Rocket (1971).  Narrogar Ann (1949) was before my time and I don't think any bitches have won The Derby at the poor substitute place.  Quite right about Endless Gossip, I'm certain he's the only Derby winner whose parents both won The Derby.
Report Mr. Memory November 8, 2010 7:36 PM GMT
"whitmarsh"........"Endless Gossip" was owned & bred by Mr.H.E.Gocher.....his greyhounds were named with the initials E G....one
example being "Eton Graduate"
Report whitmarsh November 9, 2010 12:35 PM GMT
Mr.M,I am always amazed and interested by your knowledge of greyhound racing.Perhaps you would know but I am sure I read or heard somewhere that Endless Gossip mated bitches in England,Ireland,the U.S.A. and Australia,which for the fifties was another astonishing feat.
Mad Ghost,Thank you for correcting me ,Narrogar Ann was the actual name of the dam of Endless Gossip.Dolores Rocket was owned and trained by the three White brothers and their mother.One was called Lenny.
Report irishone November 9, 2010 5:42 PM GMT
Wimbledon is a cesspit now
Report willieWalsh November 9, 2010 8:36 PM GMT
Preston, was once NGRC, then went flapping under the same banner as Blackpool. Intrestingly. The last racing manager at Preston (Closed Xmas 1987) was one Mr Peter O'Dowd, now for many years the RM at Romford. Preston is now an housing estate. Blackpool is now the Odeon cinama, Once the home of The Fylde Rugby club, with the Dogs on the outside, 420m was the race of the Blackpool derby, always won by a top NGRC dog in disguise. Always a lump in the throat when I drive past em both. Happy Days!
Report TheMadGhost November 9, 2010 10:21 PM GMT
williewalsh
Some information that might interest you.

Blackpool:
Racing distances: 270, 460, 550,620, 649 yards + 500 yard straight
Race days: Monday,Wednesday & Friday
Hare Type: Outside Sumner
Racing Surface: All Grass
Circumference: 343 yards(314 metres)
Opened: 1939 (approx.).  April 1962: Sold for housing development
Closed: Circa 1994/5

Preston:
Racing distances: 440, 520, 612 & 725 yards
Racing Surface: Grass then Sand
Opened: 1938.  1978: Becomes a“Flapping Track”
Closed: 20 December 1988.  July 1989: Demolished
Report clayfield1 November 10, 2010 2:30 PM GMT
Two more,cleethorps and skegness.
Report superam November 10, 2010 4:47 PM GMT
Derby
Long eaton (flapper)
Report whitmarsh November 19, 2010 3:09 PM GMT
Mad Ghost,As far as I knowFakenham was never really what I would call a flap.They ran dogs up a straight a couple of times a year.I dont even know if there were any bookmakers their.I never was at the place but what I heard was that it wasnt much more than giving a dog a gallop up a straight.The same could be said about Thirsk where dogs raced up a straight.They had a bookie there when I went old Tubby  who sold the roots and bulbs in Doncaster market priced up.It was the back of Thirsk racecourse but you wouldnt call that a flapping track.
Report chrisjake November 19, 2010 3:19 PM GMT
only track as far as i know that used to have a flap inside was newton abbot
Report TheMadGhost November 19, 2010 6:57 PM GMT
Whitmarsh

Nevr been to Fakenham so am quite happy to take your word for it.
Report CASHLESS-LOOKING GOOD November 19, 2010 10:38 PM GMT
I WAS IN THE MIDDLE AT FAKENHAM ON TUESDAY NO SIGN OF IT STILL EXISTING ,BUT I WILL ASK COLIN ARMES A NORWICH BOOKIE WHO MORE THAN LIKELY COULD HAVE BET THERE
Report TheMadGhost November 20, 2010 1:05 AM GMT
Whitmarsh

I have some information that they used to "race" over 220 yards at Fakenham.
Report whitmarsh November 20, 2010 12:00 PM GMT
Mad Ghost,You may be right but they kept it a secret.I spoke to a couple of friends last night and they didnt know about it.Certainly not as recently as stated in the post,but Im never too old to learn.
Report TheMadGhost November 20, 2010 12:30 PM GMT
Whitmarsh:

Yes, the only other pieces of information I have is that they raced on Sunday and used a drag hare.  This suggests that it wouldn't take long to set-up a meeting especially as they would know the horse racing schedule, and, as the racing distance is 220 yards, I presume that they, like Cheltenham, would use part of the horse racetrack.  Only conjecture, I'm afraid.
Report expat November 21, 2010 8:35 AM GMT
I think that there must have been several 'occasional' tracks that operated for relatively short time periods. In the early 70's there was one in Lower Feltham, not far from the Job's Dairy building with the 'cows' on the roof. In the mid 80's Staines Football Club hosted 2 bend whippet racing for a while, the bookmakers were I believe: Steve Wilkinson, Frank Morrad and 'Eddie' Cantor, whose Board name escapes me now, but for many years bet in the cheap ring at Sloough before, I think, transferring to the main one in the track's latter days.
Report whitmarsh November 23, 2010 5:48 PM GMT
Expat,Cantor made a book at Southend,he used to go to the horses as well as a punter.He only backed 2y.o. odds on chances on time figures.He was a big player 40 odd years ago,would bet a 2000 to 1000 on without batting an eyelid.
Report Wood Lane December 3, 2010 1:12 PM GMT
White City,Govan.Glasgow.
Report greytom December 3, 2010 1:22 PM GMT
Bit late with that one wood lane was on the thread ages ago
Report Wood Lane December 3, 2010 1:28 PM GMT
Sorry mate must have missed it.
Report eastmead December 3, 2010 8:07 PM GMT
Some of the venues referred to were "flips" not licenced by local authorities as the flapping tracks were. They were allowed up to six meetings a year with betting. Very often having used up the six meetings would move to the next field for a further6.
Report The Woofa December 3, 2010 10:55 PM GMT
monmore man
Date Joined: 15 May 03
Add contact | Send message
When: 01 Aug 10 18:35
Poor old Geoff Kenney is very ill at the moment.  It was in the paper last week.  Does not sound good at all.  I often see him on Saturdays after he has wasted his afternoons watching the Blue Army.  Hope he pulls through

Monmore man. You posted the above in this thread on 1 August. Any more news on this please?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now