Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
therhino
11 Jul 18 09:06
| Topic/replies: 16,846 | Blogger: therhino's blog
https://www.pgatour.com/company/2018/07/10/pga-tour-unveils-significantly-revamped-2018-2019-season-schedule.html

RIP Firestone. Thanks for the memories, you were a beauty Sad

Welcome Detroit and Minnesota.

TPC Boston survives Happy But, it means the first playoffs event misses New York every second year Shocked Should have kept Boston on it's own and the New York event on its own and got rid of the BMW imo, which regularly travels around rubbish tracks in comparison. Just call the Boston event the BMW Confused

Houston survives along with the Greenbrier, will be moving to the fall and form part of the 2019-20 season.

Overall I think they've done pretty well. Only real criticism from me is the New York/Boston thing mentioned above, and not going to Houston before the Masters which is the ultimate example of how to run a tourney leading into a major. Look at the Scottish since implementing the same strategy. That San Antonio track should be confined to the history pages, no one will bother the week before Augusta.
Share |

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 14
By:
Total Bosman
When: 11 Jul 18 13:05
Yup, glad to see Houston survive in some form but it's a real shame it's had to move - it was the right event in the right slot.  Money talks, though and Valero got what they wanted.  Like you say, though, the pros hate that San Antonio course and not sure many will see slogging it round there as ideal preparation for the Masters.  Valspar gets shafted too, one of the best courses on tour but sandwiched between the Players and the WGC won't get much love.

Also going to be really weird to have the major season done after the Open.
By:
therhino
When: 11 Jul 18 13:20
Hopefully down the track Houston moves back to its rightful place. Think the Zurich would be a good fit for fall, am sure they will tinker with it in the coming years.

Valspar was always going to get shafted, it was one of the events rumoured to be banished to fall so glass half full maybe. Indeed one of the best courses, certainly the best in Florida aside from Sawgrass and some would say better even than that.

What are your thoughts on the new playoffs format TB?
By:
Total Bosman
When: 11 Jul 18 14:13
Three events is probably the right number at that point in the season, three on the trot without the usual 1 week gap means the event will build quicker and someone can really build momentum towards the big prize, think that'll work fine although a shame to have to alternate Boston and New York.  I guess also the Fedex will become more of an event in its own right since it now has August to itself, so think they've got that part correct.

Be interesting to see when the following season starts, I know they have 2 more fall events with Houston and Greenbrier but will they take some time off then start up at the end of September or fire straight in.  Maybe with the main tour finishing early they can give some prominence to the final Web events as those are crucial for guys to get tour cards but we never see them - might be the second tier but it's like not having the Championship play-offs televised.
By:
eight ball
When: 12 Jul 18 14:29
A good thread Rhino-speaking of schedules
The locker room talk(not the same as the old locker room talk)is usually subliminal and has more to do with a players perspective.
So on that note I do agree with what get's thought and my suggestion would require the Tour to take a quantum leap(opinion only).

Separate itself from the only other Major/Grand slam format sport been tennis and formulate a 5th Major.
Not surprised how many players don't consider 'The Players' a 5th major.
The season runs almost on a yearly cycle(if including Ryder Cup)and has the usual waiting list of prospective sponsors mainly due to a vacancy left by a former sponsor.That list of waits at last look was up till 2024,so not much chance,which means NO chance of any revamping to even consider a 5th Major.
As with Tennis all but 1(Australian Open Tennis-January)are condensed into a 5 month period.
Why a 5th ?
Well I think most of the Top 50 have shown they can now pick/choose where and what they play and as an unneeded fill-up
they have the massive Fedex carrot as the finale.
I can't ever see it been contemplated by the decision makers but I would vote for it.
With the rewards on offer it is accepted by most players it's not about the money.
How many(Top 50) would choose a 1st prize tourny of say 3 million or an opportunity to win a newly sanctioned 5th Major.?
Palmer/Nicklaus were the pioneers to say why don't we separate from the group and form a Tour for the best only players.
Where would a 5th be held?
For mine it has to be Europe.For many years Nicklaus/Player and a few others were gracious in declaring The Australian Open Golf championship as a 5th major,sadly it(Australia)has the course options but nothing else,our so called tour has 2 yep 2 tournaments.Travel time is of concern as is Dollar Exchange BUT notice how many Tennis players ranked inside Top 25 men/women still travel long distance to compete for a Tennis Grand Slam at the height of a Melbourne summer scorcher.

Only put this up as Rhino mentioned the new schedule and with the increase in 1st time tour winners I'm wondering whether their is a dilution of competitiveness mentality(among the top 30,except at the majors,which number 4).
By:
therhino
When: 13 Jul 18 10:51
Aussie tour is dead cos Aussie fans are fickle 8b. Tis why the A League struggles for attendances but Liverpool get 95000 at the G for a friendly. We only want to drink from top shelf. Bring a major here with the best players and they won't be able to print enough tickets.

Will never happen though, we should be trying to steal the WGC from Shanghai but they got the dollars.

Is there really a need for a 5th major? Making one seems wrong as there is no history, would feel like just another tourney masquerading. Only The Players would qualify, but then do you need another major in the US? Probably not, three and the unofficial one is enough.
By:
Total Bosman
When: 13 Jul 18 13:47
Yeah, you can't really create a 5th major without the history and tradition.  Players is fine as the "unofficial" 5th major but Sawgrass isn't really strong enough to be considered a full major venue.  And the game doesn't really lack "must play" events for the big guys, in fact the problem with the schedule is smaller tournaments being squeezed in between all the majors and WGCs and missing out on big names.

They could do maybe more with the WGC format like maybe treating it as a proper World Championship series, as the name suggests but doesn't really deliver, with the best performers from the first three fighting it out for a big cheque and proper "World Golf Champion" title at the Shanghai event at the end of the year.
By:
therhino
When: 13 Jul 18 14:30
Commissioner Bosman Cool
By:
eight ball
When: 13 Jul 18 15:25
Yeah true about the Oz fan rhino,especially Melbourne.
Do we need a 5th ?
It needs History,yeah i get that maybe more to do with getting the best of the best to compete against each other more than 4 times a year.
Only a thought formed by observing too many players going through the motions netting 1 mill per season(before endorsements)and not even figuring in a Top 10 finish per season.
How do you get the Top 50 let alone the Top 25 to compete in the same events as each other more than 4 times a year ?
That was the reasoning for a 5th and or why are both codes Majors/Grand Slams condensed in that 5 month window.
Final thought.

If no 5th(most likely) could we ever see a format where a kind of Super Tour comprising of say 50 competitors only, went at it for say minimum 15 tournys plus the capacity sized Majors ? with the lowest 10 at the end been demoted to the tour and the leading 10 from the tour been promoted to the Super Tour.
Same number of Tourny's per season divided between Super and tour.
Would the more challenging courses be lining up to be part of the Super Tour format?,all conjecture and just an opinion based on
Familiarity breeds contempt in an era where they need future advertising revenues from today's kindergarten graduates .
By:
trebor
When: 13 Jul 18 15:28
We talk about history and tradition but the majors as they are now only started around about 1960, all Masters and US PGA Champions gained backdated major titles as far as I can make out?  so much for the pressure of knowing you are in contention to win a major.

Remember Nicklaus in the 70's often being credited with 2 extra majors as some still credited his 2 amateur titles as majors as they counted, so if another tournament became a 5th major guess it's only fair to backdate previous winners with major titles, Woods might overtake Nicklaus overnight.
By:
Total Bosman
When: 13 Jul 18 16:16
Tiger has 5 Memorials, plenty of history and tradition there.

"OK Jack, we've decided we're going to make your tournament a major.  Just one thing....."
By:
Mighty Whites 2008
When: 13 Jul 18 21:17
Jack has two memorials so would still be a couple ahead!
By:
Total Bosman
When: 13 Jul 18 21:33
Good point.  Might be Kuchar's best shot of getting one too.
By:
Mighty Whites 2008
When: 13 Jul 18 21:39
Think the schedule is largely positive and it could be a big boost for the european tour if it plays its cards right.

There is no need for a 5th major would just dilute the prestige of winning one. With the majors there is an argument that PGA could become a global major and the Olympics probably gave that opportunity but with the move to May it looks entrenched in the US. Once upon a time the PGA was in February.

Rhino why don't the aussie pga make a link with the pga tour similar to the pga chin tour. There potentially could be an aussie swing in nov/dec.

TB like the wgc idea
By:
therhino
When: 14 Jul 18 02:13
There would no appetite for such a thing here mighty. As I said above, top shelf or don't bother when it comes to the Aussie public. We have that World Cup event back this year, assuming no Tiger/Rory/Spieth etc. expect only golf nerds to attend. Presidents Cup next year at Royal Melb, the instagram lot will be out in their droves.
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now