Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
johnnythebull
05 Jun 18 22:53
| Topic/replies: 18,049 | Blogger: johnnythebull's blog
Great Article re Above

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-open-2018-dont-mess-this-up-its-crucial-that-the-usga-gets-it-right-at-shinnecock
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View US Open: Shinnecock set up 2018
Show More
Report donny osmond June 5, 2018 11:33 PM BST
cheers
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 6, 2018 10:25 PM BST
The average fairway width [at Shinnecock] in 2004 was 26.6 yards, the narrowest 25 yards, the widest 30 yards," he says. "The average now is 41.6 yards. That's 15 yards wider, a full 50 percent.

Seems odd they are so much wider than before.
Report johnnythebull June 6, 2018 10:37 PM BST
but prior to that it was a lot wider not quite like the farce of last year so they have made it a lot more of a test off the tee than how it was initially set up
which is good to see in my book
best major for me when it is set up to test the players
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 6, 2018 11:21 PM BST
But they have done the opposite Johnny

Shinnecock traditionally had tight fairways this year they are 50% wider than 12 years ago. At a time when players are hitting the ball further so in comparison to the 86, 95, 04 opens the fairways will be wider but the players hitting it longer. Personally I would prefer to see a more traditional set up with a premium on hitting the ball accurately rather than allowing more forgiving fairways which will surely benefit the bombers.

There is a lot of talk about the distance the ball goes but if fairways went back to being less wide then there would be more of a premium on hitting it straight.

Agree last year and chambers bay were both a farce.
Report johnnythebull June 7, 2018 5:49 PM BST
what you say is correct M W BUT prior to Floyd getting in touch with that guy they had in mind to have the fairways  a fair bit wider than what they are now
i would like them to be a yard wide with 10 foot rough beyond thatGrin
that would sort out these pampered feckers
it's still a top course that will not be a pushover a la the BS pitch & putt type courses that hold sway most of the season
Report donny osmond June 8, 2018 9:57 AM BST
40 yards is still pretty wide, not really a test of driving skills

i dont remember playing courses with 40 yard wide fairways,

the us open has gone through a lot of changes looking for a stern test
but never quite found it for me.

get them narrowed, get graded rough, get some proper bunkers, stop making
it impossible to hold the ball beside the pin if you hit a good shot
Report therhino June 10, 2018 8:43 AM BST
Had some bad luck in recent years the USGA. Last year was a disaster when it rained, made the wide open Erin Hills defenceless. Rain got them at Oakmont as well where they were predicting a +5 winner and rain got them when Rory won. With 40 yard fairways they better hope it doesn't rain or Shinnecock will get smashed as well. If that happens the tech debate will really heat up.
Report jedi sophie June 10, 2018 2:03 PM BST
Who do you feel it suits then Rhino? Which type?
Thomas Rose Moli and Sw Kim so far here.
Report jedi sophie June 10, 2018 2:03 PM BST
Looking forward to it immensely.
Report therhino June 11, 2018 11:27 AM BST
Very difficult to say Jedi. DJ is the right fave for me, but geez single figures at some books feels a little skinny. Tiger too short for mine, laid him and Rickie so far and backed Burns at 1000 to win 100 grand, I like the kid.
Report Chelseaman June 11, 2018 3:51 PM BST
How much does it pizz the uspga that they cant have natural links courses like THE OPEN. No tinkering needed with our courses lol.
Report xmoneyx June 12, 2018 12:04 AM BST
just saw course on CNN

looks stunning
Report mr meagi June 12, 2018 9:36 AM BST
Rory McIlroy 17 €10.00  €160.00

I'm still..'doing the Duff', ie 'taking the huff' but this price strikes me as an approximate of fair value...GLTA!
(I bet Palmer picks Rory which would make him a great short term 'buy to sell'.)
Report lewisham ranger June 12, 2018 10:04 AM BST
the last time tiger played in the us open he was terrible. however around then he was consistently bad, whereas in his comeback this time he's played extremely well for the most part.

his weakness at the moment seems to be the putter. misses lots of short putts which would be a worry if he is involved on the final day, however apparently this is a ball-strikers course and poor putters can win (goosen was the last winner here) so I think he has a very good chance.

apparently you also need good scrambling skills around here as well. fowler is also tempting however the thing that plagues me is the idea that he's still having trouble getting over the line in majors- can also say the same about hideki.

spieth also on the radar for me as he seems to be the man these days to step up to a plate when majors come around- he seems to play a lot better when majors come around, which you can't say about most players.
Report lewisham ranger June 12, 2018 10:20 AM BST
btw I don't think tiger is a bad putter, of course. just that doubt any putting issues will let him down, if he putts well this week he'll have an even better chance.
Report lewisham ranger June 12, 2018 10:20 AM BST
btw I don't think tiger is a bad putter, of course. just that doubt any putting issues will let him down, if he putts well this week he'll have an even better chance.
Report xmoneyx June 13, 2018 9:03 PM BST
holybatfcuk

checkout speed of greens

https://mobile.twitter.com/GolfDiscount/status/1006562698023165953/video/1
Report Burkey1885 June 13, 2018 10:55 PM BST
Tiger is fked 4 operations on his bsck he ain’t winning jaaaack
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 13, 2018 10:55 PM BST
was that before or after todays rain xmoneyx?
Report Burkey1885 June 14, 2018 8:39 AM BST
http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2018/06/11/shinnecocks-18th-green-ridiculously...
Report GRANTCKING June 14, 2018 9:30 AM BST
Sad turned it into a park with the wide fairways ffs, was looking forward to a brutal us open but now its wider fairways and the course has been softened with rain, ffs what a let down
Report GoBallistic June 14, 2018 10:26 AM BST
Today should be ideal drying conditions - warm and breezy.  Tomorrow should be a little cooler and less windy in the afternoon but still dry.  Might be good to have a morning tee time today
Report rommel June 14, 2018 11:33 AM BST
lay tiger mcmince n spiffo all markets
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now