Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Happy Valley
25 May 18 21:00
| Topic/replies: 3,136 | Blogger: Happy Valley's blog
if he didn't have all those exemptions due to his Masters success he could be in danger of losing his card, such is his almost total loss of form. What's happened?
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Danny Willett
Show More
Report lewisham ranger May 26, 2018 9:14 AM BST
yeah it's some fall from grace. the one thing he can cling to it's a very long career. I'm sure he'll come back at some point but might still have years of dross until he gets back to where he was.

sometimes of course you never come back and that's also a possibility.
Report Happy Valley May 26, 2018 12:59 PM BST
but what's the reason, couldn't handle pressure of expectation after Masters?

technical flaw

he was a very bad finisher prior to finally winning and then getting home under the radar in the Masters
Report par May 26, 2018 3:23 PM BST
I bet him to miss cut at Open last year, birdied last to make it, work that one out
Report Mighty Whites 2008 May 26, 2018 3:42 PM BST
Think there have been a few factors in play. He has always struggled with his back and has had a number of injuries since his masters win. This has affected his ability to practice. He also enjoyed his masters win in the subsequent period partying and playing with chubby. He has also had two children born since his win so has a young family to content with.

He claims he is fit and focused so time will tell whether he can turn it around. He has another three years of exemptions and entry in to the majors of the back of his green jacket so plenty of time.
Report lewisham ranger May 26, 2018 11:59 PM BST
kaymer is another one who seems to have fallen off a cliff compared to what he was.

confidence in sports is such a fragile thing. lose it and there's always a chance you'll never get it back.
Report ian merseyside May 28, 2018 1:35 AM BST
Ian Baker-Finch was another one who completely lost his game after winning The Open in 1991.  He hardly made a cut after that and eventually retired in 1997 aged just 37. I remember him going OB at the first hole at St Andrews one year, probably the widest fairway in golf!
Report Happy Valley May 28, 2018 5:23 AM BST
MWhites, Lewisham R very valid points - of course i hope he does come back to form

Ian M - yes Baker-Finch probably the most spectacular fall from grace but I do think that was a clear, total mental melt down, apparently he can still play really well when not under tournament pressure, and perhaps not quite the same as Willet and Kaymer. David Duval not far behind (though his might have been marriage and personal)
Report xmoneyx May 28, 2018 1:17 PM BST
OB at the first hole at St Andrews one year, probably the widest fairway in golf! WhoopsExcited
Report Mighty Whites 2008 May 28, 2018 8:25 PM BST
In the 97 Open - Baker Finch shot an opening round 92 and promptly retired from professional golf at the age of 36.
In the 97 Open - Baker Finch shot an opening round 92 and promptly retired from professional golf at the age of 36.
Report 1st time poster May 29, 2018 10:31 AM BST
go on one more and he,s retired more times than frank Sinatra LaughLaugh
Report Happy Valley May 29, 2018 1:04 PM BST
I think he still plays in pro-ams, or at least he used for sometime after he retired from tournament golf, and i remember reading he was still playing ever so well when it was a social round, he just totally lost it under tournament conditions
Report sofiakenny May 31, 2018 12:35 PM BST
encouraging round today.Happy
Report Catch Me ifyoucan May 31, 2018 3:53 PM BST
Happy Visionary Valley,
DANNY -6 for 65 in the Italian Job Devil 70's now from 250/1
Report Catch Me ifyoucan May 31, 2018 3:56 PM BST
Willet €93 @ 590 ta Devil
Report Happy Valley May 31, 2018 4:50 PM BST
SofiaK - yes so much better from Willett. Let's hope it is the sign of a permanent return to form.

And CatchYouInTheCan - particularly hope it's the sign of a something permanent given your bet which I'm sure isn't one of those bets you hear about from the bookies reps. Nap. GrinWinkGrin
Report mengmeng June 2, 2018 10:47 AM BST
i have had a small dabble on Willett,mainly out of hope he is out of his funk and on past form he is a massave price at over 30/1 in the position he is. im not sure he will win but staying close to lead for the rest of event will be good enough for me
Report saxon farm June 2, 2018 10:48 PM BST
The bloke used to have TOTAL belief in himself. I hope he has recovered the confidence of old and onwards and upwards with dignity.
Report mengmeng June 3, 2018 1:06 PM BST
Catch Me ifyoucan  hope you kept the faith with
willett
Report BARROWBOY June 3, 2018 1:15 PM BST
duval was another who slipped away sharply.
Report BARROWBOY June 3, 2018 1:28 PM BST
for some reason i find willett very annoying,maybe its his use of 'we'in every interview.hes a bit of a drama queen too watch out for his back to suddenly get worse when he drops away this afternoon.
Report Happy Valley June 4, 2018 9:48 AM BST
barrowboy - yes i know what you mean, as soon as he misses a putt he turns to his caddy for an all too familiar "i can't believe it" rather than knuckling down and making sure the next one drops

that said, hoping these green shoots are a sign of something more permanent
Report 1st time poster June 4, 2018 12:57 PM BST
won by guy out of form ,not in top 120
kaymer scoring well
gmac scoring well
slattery going from 78,79 to a 62 and 3rd place,
westwood scoring well

pitch and putt event with form not amounting to anything,would be the way to go imo
Report SontaranStratagem June 8, 2018 10:17 PM BST
He won because of the collapse more than anything, if ever there was a ever a time to use "right place right time" it was at that Masters. He wont care a jot though, he's forever a major champion and his name forever associated with the Masters.
Report lewisham ranger June 9, 2018 6:52 PM BST
to be fair to willett although he was helped by spieth's collapse, and he didn't have to play under the pressure of the final group, he still shot five under without any blemishes which was a remarkable round given the scoring in that particular masters.

have a feeling kaymer might go well at a big price in the us open. at least showed signs of a revival last time. you must have something about you if you got to world number one and won two majors relatively early in your career.
Report kincsem June 11, 2018 7:56 PM BST
Smylie Kaufmann, in the final pair, collapsed as well.
Willett had a great final round in the Masters, but a bit like in horse racing where there are fallers, he was "left in front".
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now