Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
maleuk01.
13 May 18 21:01
| Topic/replies: 4,100 | Blogger: maleuk01.'s blog
I had a friend who in a club comp off the first tee nearly missed the ball and it went 2 yards. He had a bit of a brain freeze and just picked it up and re teed it.

His partners (not me) said it was 2 shot penalty hence 4 off the tee.

I reckon though it should just be 3 off the tee as you can declare a ball unplayable anywhere, and if unplayable from the tee you can re tee it.

I wouldnt like to bet on it though, but what is right?
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Golf rules Question
Show More
Report crystalhunt May 13, 2018 10:36 PM BST
IMO you need to declare rather than just picking up the ball. His partner obviously believed he had not declared the ball unplayable.

https://www.randa.org/RulesEquipment/Rules/QuickGuide/Ball-Unplayable
Report JML May 15, 2018 1:08 PM BST
If the ball was not declared unplayable he shouldn't have re-teed the ball,
but just dropped it as close to where it was picked up.
Report Knight Rider May 20, 2018 11:48 PM BST
If I hit my opening tee shot 2 yards I would pick it up and walk to the clubhouse.
Report donny osmond May 21, 2018 5:02 PM BST
i played behind a bloke who put 2 ob off first tee, then fresh aired it, then scabbed it a few feet, he re teed, i doubt his score mattered at this point,
then he heeled it into the hedge 20 yards or so in front and to the left of him.....it hit a solid trunk and rebound straight back to him, he took a swing at it, missed and the ball went ob behind him.

he says thats me done and went home, lol
Report Hank Hill May 21, 2018 8:42 PM BST
Laugh
Report lfc1971 May 22, 2018 8:38 PM BST
I don't think its his fault, there is something inherently wrong with golf if that is possible.
Report lfc1971 May 22, 2018 9:02 PM BST
Someone will have to think of a new way to swing the club or something like that, something is wrong with the present way of doing things
Report frames August 17, 2018 9:21 AM BST
Here is one from yesterday.
Olesen drives right ,can't find the ball.Marshall says where he saw it land ,rabbit hole near by.Don't find the ball,can't identify the ball obviously.Free drop for Olesen.
Is this ok ?
Report trebor August 17, 2018 10:52 AM BST
Highest rank player in the tournament, definite free drop, a mid rank player depends on what ref they get, low ranked player be told to if no one saw it go down the hole no chance.
Report 1st time poster August 17, 2018 11:06 AM BST
sky and Jamie spence tried to make out spotter saw it go in the rabbit hole when actually he only saw it land in that area and although they got an arms length into the hole couldn't find it,if that counts as evidence there,ll never be a lost ball again,as spence realised he was been over generous compared it to a visible ball up a tree which cant be identified but counts as lost, typical pro,s set the rules to in- compass everyone that plays the game when everyone no,s the pro,s are playing a completely different game rules wise, cue 1000,s of lost balls deemed to have entered rabbit holes,badger sets,animal scrapes etc because someone from 10 yds away saw it land and couldn't be anywhere else at clubsall over the country this weekend, LaughLaugh
Report frames August 17, 2018 11:19 AM BST
Yes I was thinking of the tree rule as a comparison.
Report trebor August 17, 2018 12:37 PM BST
The rules state that a it must be 'known or virtually certain' that the ball is in the rabbit hole, if this criteria is met the player gets a free drop within one club length of the hole.

So player takes drop and before he plays his next shot his ball is found just ahead in a water hazard, whats the penalty?  No penalty!!  As it was known or virtually certain the players ball was in the hole when he put the substituted ball in play, the ball was correctly substituted and he may not play the origional ball.

How is it you make some mistakes and get disqualified and other mistkaes and rewarded?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now